Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+33
victor1985
2SPOOKY4U
jka
eehnie
VitalyVK
Book.
par far
chicken
sepheronx
collegeboy16
Cyberspec
volna
higurashihougi
Mike E
magnumcromagnon
cracker
Austin
arpakola
Werewolf
VladimirSahin
Asf
TheArmenian
AlfaT8
NationalRus
Viktor
Sujoy
KomissarBojanchev
flamming_python
Regular
Mindstorm
GarryB
TR1
Pugnax
37 posters

Russian Τank Βiathlon

cracker

Russian Τank Βiathlon - Page 3 Empty Re: Russian Τank Βiathlon

Post  cracker Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:38 pm

I looked videos, it seems russian tank fired a HEAT indeed, because it's rather slow and made an explosion on the target... But, might as well be training APDS hitting soil.

And, I can't post links (i'm new member), but if you write in youtube "ztz 96 vs T-72" you will find parts of the show, and clearly show the T-72 nearly stops to shoot, while the 96 goes fast (~30km/h) and hit all targets... Maybe it's not a joke, type 96 has a damn good fire control system and better than even T-72B3
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 pm

cracker wrote:I looked videos, it seems russian tank fired a HEAT indeed, because it's rather slow and made an explosion on the target... But, might as well be training APDS hitting soil.

And, I can't post links (i'm new member), but if you write in youtube "ztz 96 vs T-72" you will find parts of the show, and clearly show the T-72 nearly stops to shoot, while the 96 goes fast (~30km/h) and hit all targets... Maybe it's not a joke, type 96 has a damn good fire control system and better than even T-72B3

FCS is not everything the crew and their experience and skill count also.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Crew is #1, even though a good FCS system does help.
    Asf

Post  Asf Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:13 pm

But, might as well be training APDS hitting soil.
    Isn't it just an inert training shell?
    FCS is not everything the crew and their experience and skill count also
    I aslo heard that using a FCS is prohibited by the ruls as it's a tankmen competition not FCS one, but it must be a rumor
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Asf wrote:
    But, might as well be training APDS hitting soil.
    Isn't it just an inert training shell?
    FCS is not everything the crew and their experience and skill count also
    I aslo heard that using a FCS is prohibited by the ruls as it's a tankmen competition not FCS one, but it must be a rumor
    Even better, that means it is all the crew...
    cracker

Post  cracker Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:25 pm

TAPFSDS , yes, training shell... Steel APFSDS with reduced range and of course worthless against real armour (maybe penetrate up to 250mm 90° armour at 500m, but not much, or if the round is not proper AP shell hardened steel, probably 80mm.)
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:28 pm

I figured it was some sort of training shell... At least APFSDS rounds have a higher velocity, which means a better representation of accuracy etc.

- This post got me on the Top 20 posters page. - Not exactly a good thing...
    volna

Post  volna Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:03 am

[quote="Werewolf"]
    magnumcromagnon wrote:

Not sure if that is true, but i thought all of them were shooting APFSDS training rounds. Do you have a source?
    It's true,Chinese used APFSDS rounds.
    http://www.redstar.ru/index.php/component/k2/item/17999-bronetankovyj-triumf
    Russian Τank Βiathlon - Page 3 9ea8f5857d59
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:50 am

Thanks for the source.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:56 am

Chinese tank really surprised me. It really needs some work on engine and maybe armour needs to be rearranged, but it's not worthless tanks like some .pk .in blogs try to portray it. It went against though competition.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:03 am

Regular wrote:Chinese tank really surprised me. It really needs some work on engine and maybe armour needs to be rearranged, but it's not worthless tanks like some .pk .in blogs try to portray it. It went against though competition.

The tank is one thing, and the crew is the another thing...
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:15 am

Regular wrote:Chinese tank really surprised me. It really needs some work on engine and maybe armour needs to be rearranged, but it's not worthless tanks like some .pk .in blogs try to portray it. It went against though competition.

In many countries, including mine, people have a stereotype of Chinese goods as "copy, low quality junks".

I admit that I am ignorant about Chinese weapons' quality. But I am very sure about the "copy" part.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:18 am

higurashihougi wrote:

In many countries, including mine, people have a stereotype of Chinese goods as "copy, low quality junks".

I admit that I am ignorant about Chinese weapons' quality. But I am very sure about the "copy" part.

Trust me, that isn't only true in your country... People here in the US either don't care about Chinese-made products, or they avoid them like the plague...
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Mike E wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:

Trust me, that isn't only true in your country... People here in the US either don't care about Chinese-made products, or they avoid them like the plague...

Well that is impossible since not a single electrical device in anyones house that will not have large amount of parts with the label "Made in China".

This thingy with "Made in China" and linking it to low quality is utterly stupid nonsense. The fact that most of the stuff people buy and labeled Made in China in our western markets are designed by companies that belong to our western countries that just exploit cheap chinese labor. Things are already designed to be cheap as possible to keep the costs low and maximize the profit for the companies. Meaning "Made in China" products are poorly designed by western companies for western markets and upside of this is it is only bad image for China not for the companies itself who create lot of crappy products like apple.

Chinese tank really surprised me. It really needs some work on engine and maybe armour needs to be rearranged, but it's not worthless tanks like some .pk .in blogs try to portray it. It went against though competition.

What i heared it is less the engine but mainly the gearbox that makes problems, which is not really a suprise since most had at some point problems with their gearbox while engines were mostly rather easier to handle.
    It surely has higher quality than most would like to admit or just simply remain to "Made in China" stereotypes.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Can someone recognize which specific APFSDS-T rounds this are that were used by Chinese Team in biathlon?

Russian Τank Βiathlon - Page 3 9ea8f5857d59
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:24 am

Can't tell for sure, but at the end of one of those numbers was an H, which would be a cyrillic letter rather than a Chinese one...
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:12 am

A Chinese railway composition loaded with tanks and other vehicles has crossed into Russia. The Chinese hardware is for the upcoming Tank Biathlon, which the Chinese are hell bent on winning this year.

The Russian team will apparently also sport new tanks and will be using new type of ammo - according to VIM (V. Murakhovski) at Otvaga

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:17 am

Cyberspec wrote:A Chinese railway composition loaded with tanks and other vehicles has crossed into Russia. The Chinese hardware is for the upcoming Tank Biathlon, which the Chinese are hell bent on winning this year.

The Russian team will apparently also sport new tanks and will be using new type of ammo - according to VIM (V. Murakhovski) at Otvaga

What tank biathlon is already on the door step? Damn time flies by...
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:34 am

Cyberspec wrote:A Chinese railway composition loaded with tanks and other vehicles has crossed into Russia. The Chinese hardware is for the upcoming Tank Biathlon, which the Chinese are hell bent on winning this year.

nice, this should be a fun year!
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:14 am

collegeboy16 wrote:

nice, this should be a fun year!
    I wonder what China will bring to raise their chances....maybe a Type-99 variant? 

The 96's did well last time around but didn't do so great in regards to mobility. I kind of doubt they'll be sticking with that platform.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:57 am

If China can use top of the line tanks, then why not Russia use T-90A then? T-72B3's clearly are not as nearly upgraded as Chinas main tank....
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 am

sepheronx wrote:If China can use top of the line tanks, then why not Russia use T-90A then? T-72B3's clearly are not as nearly upgraded as Chinas main tank....
    Who knows, they may... Then again China might bring back the T-96. Either way Russia already knows what tanks it will be going up against.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:21 am

IMHO T-72 modification for biathlon, unofficially called b4 is very decent tank. New FCS, engine, sights. Not to mention tank is specially tailored for biathlon. I imagine China will modify few tanks too as last time I've seen they had terrible mobility issues.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:49 am

Werewolf wrote:What tank biathlon is already on the door step? Damn time flies by...

I think it's about 6 weeks away.....I guess the Chinese are coming early to prepare properly dunno
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:14 am

China has brought four ZTZ-96's. All of which look to have their basic sighting systems. Chances are they are packing a bigger engine and new tracks...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:29 pm