Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+24
max steel
Zivo
AlfaT8
kvs
Werewolf
Kyo
Mike E
zg18
zino
Asf
Vann7
Mindstorm
Cyberspec
sepheronx
Hannibal Barca
magnumcromagnon
mutantsushi
George1
TR1
KomissarBojanchev
flamming_python
GarryB
Firebird
Viktor
28 posters

Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU)

Viktor
    Viktor

Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) Empty Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU)

Post  Viktor Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Well Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan are joining the club.

Russia to Help Kyrgyzstan Join Customs Union – Medvedev

GORKI (Moscow Region), April 23 (RIA Novosti) – Russia is ready to help Kyrgyzstan join the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan and its common economic space, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Tuesday.

“We support the resolve of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan to join the Customs Union and, of course, the common economic space. This will bring considerable benefit to the republic’s economy, particular enterprises and I hope [Kyrgyz] citizens,” Medvedev said after talks with his Kyrgyz counterpart Zhantoro Satybaldiyev.

A special working group on Kyrgyzstan’s accession has been set up and this group will have to carry out a “considerable amount” of work and prepare 64 agreements, the Russian premier said.

“I hope that with our support and our help, our Kyrgyz partners will be able to cover this distance,” Medvedev said.
    Since January 1, 2012, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia have been part of the Customs Union, which allows for unrestricted movement of capital, goods and services across the three states’ national borders.

Russia sees the grouping as a stepping stone to a wide-ranging Eurasian Economic Union, and has even touted membership to Moldova and Ukraine, though Kiev has long harbored ambitions of moving closer to the EU.

LINK
    Viktor
    Viktor

Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) Empty Re: Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU)

Post  Viktor Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 am

Kyrgyzstan is entering EuroAsian Union in 2015 - confirmed 

Nazarbaev told journalists that experts are now working on a road map that would allow Bishkek to join the group by 2015.

Kyrgyz Gvt. Approves Agreement on Kyrgyzgas Sale to Gazprom

Kyrgyzgas sold to Gazprom for $1

Kyrgyzstan To Join Russian-Led Customs Union, Ukraine To Observe

Russia strengthens ties within CSTO

Kyrgyzstan closes Manas Air Base for US

Russia Ratifies Central Asia Base Deals

Russia and Kyrgyzstan Sign Base, Debt and Power Deals
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Russia in 2014 will start deliveries of weapons to Kyrgyzstan announced Shoigu wrote:BISHKEK, June 25 - RIA Novosti. Russian Federation in 2014, will start deliveries of weapons and military equipment to the armed forces of Kyrgyzstan, announced on Tuesday, Russian Defense Minister Gen. Sergei Shoigu.

That Russia will deliver in this Central Asian republic, is not specified, but in November 2012 the newspaper "Kommersant" wrote that Moscow has promised to Bishkek on rearmament $ 1.1 billion. According to the publication, it was not a loan, and for military support.

"On your behalf and on behalf of the President of our country, we consider the program to support the equipping of the Armed Forces of the Kyrgyz Republic, and we have almost everything ready. I think we will soon end up matching the last formalities. <...> Within our country, our bilateral level we have all completed in 2014 and will begin deliveries of weapons and military equipment, "- Shoigu said during a meeting with President of Kyrgyzstan Almazbek Atambayev

The Russian Minister Atambayev also conveyed the best wishes of the President of Russia Vladimir Putin. He said that shortly before the trip to Kyrgyzstan met with the president and discussed the issues that will raise the participants of the meeting of defense ministers of SCO member countries (held on Wednesday)

LINK
    Viktor
    Viktor

Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) Empty Unified thread about Custom Union

Post  Viktor Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Armenia is also ready to join in.

Armenia Ready to Join Russia-Led Customs Union – President

NOVO-OGARYOVO, September 3 (RIA Novosti) – Armenia is ready to join the Moscow-led Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan and later take part in establishing the Eurasian Economic Union, Armenia’s president said in a statement Tuesday.

“Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan voiced Armenia’s decision to join the Customs Union and take the relevant required practical steps, and later participate in forming the Eurasian Economic Union,” said the statement, jointly issued by the administrations of Sargsyan and Russian President Vladimir Putin after they met for talks.
    Putin backed Armenia’s decision and “expressed the Russian side’s readiness to contribute to the process in every possible way,” the statement said.
    Moscow hopes all members of the Customs Union would back Yerevan’s decision to join it, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Tuesday.
    Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan have agreed to establish the proposed Eurasian Economic Union by 2015. The union is intended as an alternative to th
    e European Union that will be mostly comprised of former Soviet republics.

At a time when Armenia is choosing between EU and Eurasian integration, there appear to be certain contentions between Moscow and Yerevan, including Russia’s raising of natural gas rates and planned weapons deliveries to Azerbaijan, with which Armenia is at loggerheads over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
    Relations between Armenia and Azerbaijan have been strained for more than two decades, since the conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh, a predominantly ethnic Armenian region, first erupted in 1988. The region then claimed independence from Azerbaijan to join Armenia.

Over 30,000 people are estimated to have died on both sides between 1988 and 1994, when a ceasefire was agreed. Nagorno-Karabakh has remained in Armenian control and tensions between Azerbaijan and Armenia have persisted.

Putin and Sargsyan on Tuesday confirmed their adherence to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict resolution by political means, the two leaders said in the statement.
    The Russian and Armenian leaders also praised bilateral relations and said they planned to take bilateral cooperation to a higher level, also strengthening collaboration in the military and economic spheres.

Bilateral trade grew over 22 percent last year to more than $1.2 billion. Rail monopoly Russian Railways may invest about 15 billion rubles ($450 million) in the development of Armenian railroads, Putin told journalists.

LINK

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:15 am

More interesting development

Vietnam Considers Joining Customs Union

Vietnam is considering joining the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang said on Sunday during his visit to Russia.
    Asked if Vietnam wanted to join the trade body, Vietnamese leader said that “if there is a political will from our country’s authorities, as well as Belarusian and Kazakh partners, we will soon be able to start this process [joining to the Customs Union].”

Truong, who arrived in Russia on Thursday on the invitation from President Vladimir Putin, said that Vietnam’s membership in the Union would boost the import-export relationship between two countries.

Russia-Vietnamese trade turnover in 2011 reached $3.06 billion, up 55 percent from 2010. A total of 78 projects with Russian investment worth over $1 billion are being implemented in Vietnam. Russia is implementing 14 projects with Vietnamese investment worth $78 million, without account for the oil and gas industry, the Kremlin said.
    The countries also cooperate in the tourism sphere.

Last week Kyrgyz Prime Minister Omurbek Babanov said that Kyrgyzstan had filed an application to join the Customs Union, a move that was supported by Russia.
    In November 2011, the Russian, Belarusian and Kazakh presidents signed a declaration on Eurasian economic integration, a roadmap of integration processes aimed at creating the Eurasian Economic Union, which will be based on the Customs Union and common economic space among the three countries.

LINK

Firebird

Post  Firebird Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:07 am

Viktor wrote:More interesting development

Vietnam Considers Joining Customs Union

Vietnam is considering joining the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang said on Sunday during his visit to Russia.
    Asked if Vietnam wanted to join the trade body, Vietnamese leader said that “if there is a political will from our country’s authorities, as well as Belarusian and Kazakh partners, we will soon be able to start this process [joining to the Customs Union].”

Truong, who arrived in Russia on Thursday on the invitation from President Vladimir Putin, said that Vietnam’s membership in the Union would boost the import-export relationship between two countries.

Russia-Vietnamese trade turnover in 2011 reached $3.06 billion, up 55 percent from 2010. A total of 78 projects with Russian investment worth over $1 billion are being implemented in Vietnam. Russia is implementing 14 projects with Vietnamese investment worth $78 million, without account for the oil and gas industry, the Kremlin said.
    The countries also cooperate in the tourism sphere.

Last week Kyrgyz Prime Minister Omurbek Babanov said that Kyrgyzstan had filed an application to join the Customs Union, a move that was supported by Russia.
    In November 2011, the Russian, Belarusian and Kazakh presidents signed a declaration on Eurasian economic integration, a roadmap of integration processes aimed at creating the Eurasian Economic Union, which will be based on the Customs Union and common economic space among the three countries.

LINK

My initial guess is that this might be a long shot. But its an intriguing idea. Russia and CIS has skills and resources on a massive level. What it doesnt have is a massive population and the ability to do maunfacturing type work at dirt cheap prices. Adding 90m population AND one of the best places in the World to manufacture (even better than China nowadays!) could have wonderful effects.

What it must NOT do tho, is cannibalise CIS's current manufacturing. But if they compliment each other, theres no reason that should happen.

Also I hope it will not mean masses of Vietnamese emigrating to Russia. Freedom of trade, and freedom of domicile are two entirely different things.

If one was done without the other, it could be a step to Russia and the Customs Union becoming VERY powerful in the World. I wonder which other countries might be suitable for Union?
    Firebird

Post  Firebird Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:18 am

Vietnam continues push for customs union inclusion

Kazakh and Vietnamese heads of state met in Astana on Monday to talk trade
    Monday, September 10, 2012

I've just read that NEW ZEALAND is considering joing the Customs Union as well!!!

Surely thats a VERY long shot, for  a NATO member??? But who knows!

Perhaps future Customs Unions wont think of geography in the way NAFTA, the EU and ASEAN or Mercosur have. A union could choose a small number of members from across the world. Its exactly the way certain industries do it eg a network of law firms etc. Rather than just say 10 law firms in a network in London. In a way, its no different from Australia being part of a NORTH ATLANTIC treaty organisation.

Intriguing indeed, even if Customs Union might be a long way from some deeper alliances.

Garry, you may have your wish of Russian bases in Auckland!! Wink
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 am

New Zealand is not a member of NATO.

Australia is not either.

We are both just commonwealth countries that suck up to the US just like the UK does...

Garry, you may have your wish of Russian bases in Auckland!!
    I think it would be in New Zealands interests to make friends with as many countries as it can and join as many free trade groups as possible.

We already have a US base in Christchurch... they use it to get to Antarctica.

We also have a few secret US bases operated by the NSA for listening to Asia and the Pacific... look up Echelon if you are interested in knowing more about that.

I see no reason why we shouldn't let Russia fly to Antarctica from Dunedin Airport (the one closest to me by strange coincidence... Twisted Evil )

And certainly setting up a tracking station to monitor GLONASS satellites in the southern hemisphere would improve its accuracy and performance.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:19 am

As I read - New Zealand has a considerable dairy industry and that's why they're interested in a Free Trade Agreement with Russia and the CIS states; so that they can export their agricultural goods to that region without tariffs.

A smart policy for this country if you ask me; I get the impression that they're trying to secure FTAs with everyone; ASEAN, China, etc...
    Which is the right thing to do due to their geographical distance from everyone else; bypassing a nation's import restrictions and taxes might give their exports the advantage they need in order to be competitive with their naturally higher transport/logistics costs

However I don't believe I heard of New Zealand attempting to join the Customs Union/Eurasian Union.
    All I read is that they wanted to sign a free trade agreement.
    Could be wrong though.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:27 am

BTW Azerbaijan seems to be adopting a wait-and-see approach to the Customs Union.
    Nothing official of course; officially they deny any particular position, but that's the impression that some political commentators got.
    Putin went on a visit to Azerbaijan of course some 1-2 months ago.

Basically - they want to see just what the benefits of such an organization could be, and how successful its members become due to it.
    And of course the solving of the Nagorny-Karabakh issue to their favour would undoubtedly be a requirement - this could be a problem as I don't see any way the Armenians would give it up. Possibly the first step would be the return of refugees. However even this would probably prove unacceptable; even after all these years - Azeri and Armenian relations are nothing less than poisonous - they would never trust each other. It's up to Russia to get them to trust it for the time being.

Oh, and Ivanishvilli commented on the Customs Union too; saying that joining it would be a possibility for Georgia.
    Although in this case I'm not sure of his sincerity, he could simply be trying to score some easy points with Russia.
    And again, it would reside firmly on the success of Russian diplomacy and how Russia proposes to settle the question of Georgian territorial integrity, reconcile the warring parties and return refugees to their homes.
    Firebird

Post  Firebird Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:34 am

Whilst I could see NZealand joining a customs union, I think it'd be unlikely to have it joining a CIS political-economic bloc of the sort the EU is.

I think all the fmr Soviet Republics are possibles for a Customs Union going beyond pure trade tariffs.
    Probably with the exception of the Baltic States.

I hope the Ukraine joins up, for cultural and geographic reasons not just trade.

Maybe Serbia will join a Customs Union. Beyond that Vietnam, Cuba I suppose could be possibles.
    Maybe some Lat American countries, maybe African/Middle Eastern ones. Maybe even India?
    I suppose if Greece, or Cyprus leave the EU, they could be possibles..

With the way the WTO is going, and shrinking duties, the big issue with a Customs Union will become one of shared ec, social and political agendas. So a customs union could become much more than that. After all, the EU started solely as some sort of iron and steel agreement.
    Then it was the "European Economic Community". Then it became an unelected bureaucratic totalitarian hellhole without limits...tongue 
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:06 am

As I read - New Zealand has a considerable dairy industry and that's why they're interested in a Free Trade Agreement with Russia and the CIS states; so that they can export their agricultural goods to that region without tariffs.
    Agriculture is a significant component of our exports... we have such a mild climate that unlike in Europe we don't need to be able to fit our stock inside at night to stop them freezing.

We have a lot of skills and technology that might be useful to Russia and other countries in the union.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) IkMunVy

LINK
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 am

Viktor wrote:Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) IkMunVy

LINK
    Interesting the views in the Ukraine and Moldova - considering that they are basically going the EU direction for now and with considerable support from their population.

As for Azerbaijan well it's hardly a surprise; they live off oil money and need little else.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Kyrgyzstan might join in. Thats a good news. 

Armenia signs Customs Union roadmap, Kyrgyzstan needs more talks
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Nice !

Armenia to Become Full-Fledged Customs Union Member in 2014 - President
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:27 pm

Nice  thumbsup 

Russia to help Kyrgyzstan join Customs Union
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:45 pm

Nice  thumbsup 

Tajikistan shows much interest in Customs Union, Eurasian Economic Union
    Firebird

Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) Empty Which city/cities should be chosen as the Eurasian Union's equivalent of Brussels/Washington DC...?

Post  Firebird Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Something I've been wondering about.
    Assuming the Eurasian Union grows to resemble something a little like the US or the EU..

What would be a good solution to have as its political or legal or administrative or financial centre?
    Or where should the Union's ministries be based (ofcourse they could be separate from any parliament, govt administrative or other centre).

Obviously there is Moscow. But perhaps Moscow might want to say "its not just about Russia its about the whole family".
    Perhaps Yekaterinburg, as  a fairly big city, and close to all the member state capitals, more or less.
    Samara is better situation that Yekat. Or maybe Kazan?
    Perhaps Astana in Kazakstan?

Or, another choice, which might look a little more "problematic" at the moment.
    Perhaps Kiev, as the capital of the yet to be formed Eastern Ukraine? After all, it was Russia's capital, off and on for nearly 700 years.
    It would be one hell of a "sweetener" for Kiev to join the Eastern Ukraine...if it was at all feasible.

I also wonder, should the capital of the Eurasian Union be rotated? Every year? Every 5 years?

Ofcourse, part of this is all about which city/s might have a big "bonanza". But it also might be about what sort of culture the Union might take.
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:19 pm

I wish the capital was Minsk. The only problem is that its a bit too close to the NATO frontier.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:49 pm

Astana would be a good choice.

Nazarbayev has been positioning Kazakhstan for the sort of position in the Eurasian Union that Belgium/Brussels occupies in the EU.
    Would be good, from the cultural standpoint - Astana is very much a melting-pot of (Eastern) European and (Central) Asian cultures. Hell, it's got people from all over courtesy of how many different peoples Stalin deported to Kazakhstan.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:35 am

The Eurasian Union will never be in structure anywhere near as unified as the US.

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:03 am

TR1 wrote:The Eurasian Union will never be in structure anywhere near as unified as the US.

wat?

Since when was the Eurasian Union about recreating the US?
    There are no plans for a unified nation-state, but rather for a supra-national economic union like the EU.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:14 am

That was aimed at this:

"Assuming the Eurasian Union grows to resemble something a little like the US or the EU.."

IMO it will never resemble the US.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:49 am

IMO it will never resemble the US.

Haven't read plans to bomb third world countries for their oil and preach to them how uncivilised they are while torturing anyone you happen to pick up off the street.... so I guess your opinion is totally valid...  Razz 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:54 am