Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+45
gbu48098
slasher
wilhelm
Tsavo Lion
Rodion_Romanovic
lyle6
Backman
Big_Gazza
franco
JohninMK
LMFS
verkhoturye51
Isos
GunshipDemocracy
Hole
ATLASCUB
Cyrus the great
ZoA
miketheterrible
SeigSoloyvov
PapaDragon
KiloGolf
par far
Hannibal Barca
KomissarBojanchev
magnumcromagnon
collegeboy16
Werewolf
macedonian
Regular
Palestinian
Cyberspec
TR1
Dima
Pugnax
flamming_python
Sujoy
GarryB
George1
Viktor
Admin
sepheronx
Turk1
RuStepan
Vladislav
49 posters

Russian Military Bases Abroad

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Russian Military Bases Abroad - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Military Bases Abroad

Post  JohninMK Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Hole wrote:Which will limit the number they can deploy in the Med, Persian Gulf, Baltics and Black Sea. Which will be good for everyone, except the poor muricans and their "allies". Very Happy

This is part of what I suspect is a hidden Russian strategy to accelerate the bankruptcy of the US by driving up their defence costs under pressure from their rapacious MIC/politician combo. In this case more on the Navy.

Bearing this in mind a couple of $B might be a good investment. Forcing the US to keep a carrier in the Atlantic, there is rarely one there now, would be a huge win.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm

The renovation/modernisation process of military infrastructure (barracks, air bases and so on) inside Russia is coming to an end. It would be a logical step to search for a few well located bases abroad and spend some money on them. And I´m not talking about some military empire here, just a couple of bases with a few hundred soldiers.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:20 am

Continuation of large-scale construction at the Khmeimim airbase

NTV broadcast a video report on the continuation of large-scale construction at the Russian Hmeimim air base in Syria. The report said that "at the Khmeimim airbase in Syria, the Russian military began large-scale construction. Engineers are building new runways and hangars for aircraft and helicopters. To protect aircraft in the event of a possible attack, the structures are covered with special armored plates."

Finty likes this post

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:00 am

With the new runway, they'll be able to station LR bombers there according to a report
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Moscow. November 11. INTERFAX.RU-the Russian Government offers to sign an agreement with Sudan on the establishment of a logistics support point for the Navy in this country, according to a decree signed by Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin, published on the legal information portal.

Russia and Sudan have previously discussed the draft document. "The Republic of the Sudan expresses the consent of the Russian Federation to create and deploy a logistics support point on the territory of the Republic of the Sudan, as well as to develop and modernize its infrastructure for repairs, resupply and recreation of crew members of Russian warships," the document says, which, as noted, was previously agreed by the parties.

Russia will be able to place ships with a nuclear power plant at the naval station in Sudan, the maximum number of personnel at the point is 300 people, according to the draft agreement between the two countries.

The maximum number of Russian warships that are allowed to stay in the area at the same time is set: four units, including warships with a nuclear power plant, subject to compliance with nuclear and environmental safety standards.

The agreements are defensive in nature. "This agreement is valid for 25 years and is automatically extended for subsequent 10-year periods, if none of the parties at least one year before the expiration of the next period notifies the other party in writing through diplomatic channels of its intention to terminate it," the draft agreement, which, as noted, the parties have previously agreed.

According to the documents, the Russian Federation will receive a land plot for work.

Russia is ready to supply weapons and military equipment to Sudan free of charge for the organization of air defense of the Russian Navy point in this country.

Earlier it was reported that the Sudanese authorities offered Russia to create a base on the Red sea. In March 2018, it was reported that Russia and Sudan plan to exchange visits of warships and aircraft. The countries were preparing an agreement on military cooperation, which includes visits by warships and military aviation.

NOTE:
    - Sudan is not going to get off the USA terror state list by doing this. Wink
    - In case you missed it last week Cyprus also granted Russia access to it's ports.

GarryB, George1, flamming_python, Big_Gazza, LMFS and Hole like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:34 am

franco wrote:
    NOTE:
    - Sudan is not going to get off the USA terror state list by doing this. Wink

The seppos already announced they would remove Sudan from its list of "nations we hate" aka "terror-sponsoring states", but if they refuse to follow through now it will be utterly transparent as an example of Imperial Dummy-Spitting Laughing
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:28 pm

What's interesting about this is that Russia already has a presence in the Central African Republic and is conducting deconflictization and mediation efforts there, training CAR troops with advisers and donating vehicles.

Sudan borders the CAR and a presence in this country, with naval access, will quite possibly facilitate a land-based supply route and an increasing zone of influence.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:20 pm

Getting very popular the Red Sea, what with the Chinese just down the coast.

Russian Military Bases Abroad - Page 7 EmihfutW8AAQFBl?format=jpg&name=small

George1 likes this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 pm

JohninMK wrote:Getting very popular the Red Sea, what with the Chinese just down the coast.

Should be able to resupply Yemen from there Wink

par far dislikes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:31 pm

franco wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Getting very popular the Red Sea, what with the Chinese just down the coast.

Should be able to resupply Yemen from there Wink

No doubt, Russia will be looking for a way to access Ethiopia as well; that's a country with which Russia has had long-standing ties in the region.
    Granted, it's landlocked status has limited its development and strategic importance.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:43 pm

Gomig-21 likes this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:07 am

^ We shall be on the lookout for heightened terrorist activity, govt protest and political instability in Sudan now that Sudan has granted Russia this concession.

I wonder how the air defense will work on a base like this. They cant just set up and s-300 there i wouldn't think

dino00 likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Backman wrote:^ We shall be on the lookout for heightened terrorist activity, govt protest and political instability in Sudan now that Sudan has granted Russia this concession.

I wonder how the air defense will work on a base like this. They cant just set up and s-300 there i wouldn't think

Introduce yourself pls here¨https://www.russiadefence.net/f6-member-introductions-and-rules
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:24 pm

Backman wrote:^ We shall be on the lookout for heightened terrorist activity, govt protest and political instability in Sudan now that Sudan has granted Russia this concession.

That Russian base is Sudan's insurance policy. First it was meant to scare off the US, then after the last president (who was close to Turkey and MB in general) was overthrown as a counterweight to the Turkish presence in Suakin island.

Funny how wherever Turkey goes the Russians inadvertently pop-up like mushrooms in their wake.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:12 pm

S-300 systems can be deployed everywhere. In a nutshell. Every component is mobile, just like most of the russian radar systems. But I would guess Russia will use a S-400 in Port Sudan + a Bastion complex.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:05 pm

Hole wrote:S-300 systems can be deployed everywhere. In a nutshell. Every component is mobile, just like most of the russian radar systems. But I would guess Russia will use a S-400 in Port Sudan + a Bastion complex.

There is no need for. Ship's radar there will be used as AD. On the ground Tor/Pantsir is enough.

I would rather send 4 su-30SM which can also attack the enemy, if there is an airport nearby.

But I suspect it won't be the case. From what I understood it's just a resupply base, not a real military base. More likely only for food, fuel and rest in a civilian port.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:09 am

Tartus started that way. A few years down the road... Cool
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:17 am

Isos wrote:
    Hole wrote:S-300 systems can be deployed everywhere. In a nutshell. Every component is mobile, just like most of the russian radar systems. But I would guess Russia will use a S-400 in Port Sudan + a Bastion complex.

There is no need for. Ship's radar there will be used as AD. On the ground Tor/Pantsir is enough.

I would rather send 4 su-30SM which can also attack the enemy, if there is an airport nearby.

But I suspect it won't be the case. From what I understood it's just a resupply base, not a real military base. More likely only for food, fuel and rest in a civilian port.

Yeah, at least at the beginning it won't be a full fledged base. However some short and medium range Anti air defence (Pantsir, Tor and BukM3) would be quite useful.

Just an interesting consideration: If they deployed there a S400 they would cover also Mecca (about 320 km from Port Sudan).
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Russian Military Bases Abroad - Page 7 Empty Russian Government offers to sign an agreement with Sudan

Post  Tsavo Lion Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Opinion: regarding the new base in Sudan.

George1 likes this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Like I said not a real base but a logistic center.

Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    31s
    Former Navy Chief of the Main Staff, Admiral Viktor Kravchenko, told Interfax that Russia could build the logistics center in Sudan in 3-4 months, which would then be ready to host Russian ships and provide limited repairs
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Isos wrote:Like I said not a real base but a logistic center.

Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    31s
    Former Navy Chief of the Main Staff, Admiral Viktor Kravchenko, told Interfax that Russia could build the logistics center in Sudan in 3-4 months, which would then be ready to host Russian ships and provide limited repairs

Tartus also is considered a logistics center Very Happy
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Well they invested money to make it a real base. If they want a base in Sudan they will also need to invest.

According to the German intel', russians plan to have 7 new bases aboard. I don't remember however if its in the world or just in Africa.

But since they got involved in Libya, Sudan and CAR, they will for sure build a big base somewhere with 12-20 sukhois to cover their interest. Lot of contracts were signed in Africa specially in mines prospects.

But I doubt it will in Sudan. Lot of western bases around there. They would be better on the other side of Africa.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Isos wrote:...But since they got involved in Libya, Sudan and CAR, they will for sure build a big base somewhere with 12-20 sukhois to cover their interest. Lot of contracts were signed in Africa specially in mines prospects....

It's about having a place to station and maintain vessels without having to shuttle them all the way from Russia thus avoiding wear and tear

They can shuttle fresh crews with airplanes no problem

And Sudan is next door to Central Africa Republic

Isos wrote:...But I doubt it will in Sudan. Lot of western bases around there. They would be better on the other side of Africa.

West Africa would be jackpot

Imagine having a location in Central Atlantic to park nuclear subs?

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Not only.

Deep water. Large ocean, not closed. Most importantly there is no big power there having a base.

If I'm not wrong Angola is around there and is a good client.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Isos wrote:

Not only.

Deep water. Large ocean, not closed. Most importantly there is no big power there having a base.

If I'm not wrong Angola is around there and is a good client.

The Angolese are very friendly to the russians because of their help against south africa. Would be a great place for a few bombers, too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:55 am