Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+44
miketheterrible
thegopnik
lyle6
Scorpius
SeigSoloyvov
The-thing-next-door
Kimppis
xeno
HUNTER VZLA
syunsan
Walther von Oldenburg
DTA
Boshoed
PapaDragon
max steel
Arctic_Fox
Sunbeam
Vann7
Book.
2SPOOKY4U
Regular
OminousSpudd
Airbornewolf
Zivo
collegeboy16
flamming_python
Manov
VladimirSahin
Morpheus Eberhardt
As Sa'iqa
CosPetia
NationalRus
KomissarBojanchev
magnumcromagnon
AlfaT8
higurashihougi
Mike E
Werewolf
Viktor
GarryB
TR1
Admin
Stealthflanker
sepheronx
48 posters

Video Games Thread

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Video Games Thread

Post  PapaDragon Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:05 pm

kvs wrote:People ragged on Andromeda but I found it OK.   There is too much anal purism in games which probably turns off the makers
    and is thus self-defeating.

For me Mass Effect 1 is one of the best things ever made, not just in videogames but in entrainment overall

Sequels didn’t even come close to that level of greatness, total disappointments despite my best effort to like them (especially ME2)

But you convinced me to give Andromeda a go, fresh setting will probably work for the best

flamming_python wrote:...The game has two sequels, Dead Space 2 & 3. They are more action orientated while still maintaining the horror atmosphere. But I haven't played them yet so can't really say for sure.

Oh and it's also one of those games with a completely silent protagonist. In case you hadn't had your fill of GTA 3 and other older action-adventures in your life thumbsup

I played Dead Space 2 and 3 and I do have to say that they are amazing

Dead Space 2 really cranked up the horror (that fucking nursery) and while everyone ragged on Dead Space 3 for some reason the game itself is great, there is more action in the second half but it fits the pace of the narrative as it moves towards the grand finale and at the end of it you will be given ALL THE ANSWERS to all the mysteries from the entire story all the way from the first game

A rarity in videogame storytelling

flamming_python likes this post

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Scorpius wrote:
    The game is from the Russian studio Mundfish.
    That has some Half Life 2 and System Shock/Bio Shock vibes.

It's on my whish list on steam. Will be looking forward to play it.

The game I am playing is Mordhau since I am a fan of Buhurt/Battle of the Nations and I like challenging games.

Not the best video to propagate the game but just for impressions on how it looks.

GarryB, flamming_python and kvs like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:20 am

That Atomic thing looks pretty awesome, but one look at it is enough to tell me that I need a new graphics card.

**sigh**

Anyway I'm going to throw in a retro release here and go all retro. Coz retro is my thing afro

Pretty much all that needs to be said about Exhumed is said in the video.
    I played it on the Sega Saturn out of all things back when I was a kid. Never got far in it. Then as an adult I had the PS1 version loaded up on my PSP, and I got a little further. It gets hard, what can I say.
    But it is undeniably an awesome and unique game and should not be passed up.
    The company who made it was a Sega Saturn developer who only ever released 3 games - and 2 of those were ports (Quake and Duke Nukem 3D for the Saturn). They created a custom engine for those ports, and then created this original game on top of that engine for the Sega Saturn; and it was ported to the PS1 in addition.

As mentioned in the vid a remaster on Steam came out just earlier this year (not to be confused with the PC game of the same name on the Build engine). Which looks great. Go check Exhumed out, it has a unique alien Egyptian theme, a fantastic score and the best M60 machine gun I can remember from any game. Metroidvania stuff adds a lot of value too.
    It's just a shame a sequel never came out.

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Ss_9726bea2634589d08259ff68ccee5d38c7b78927.1920x1080
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Ss_0e2f814b51fafb6a4e46867f9d1d4b76013f772d.1920x1080
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Vgtimes_ru_ss_23720840078bf15ac1fa91f147d496eff8e87

GarryB, Werewolf and kvs like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:20 am

The game I am playing is Mordhau since I am a fan of Buhurt/Battle of the Nations and I like challenging games.

Interesting looking game... surprised the number of people using axes and swords... a spear is actually more powerful out in the open if used skillfully... or should I say it is as much work to learn to use skillfully as any sword or axe, but has enormous advantages in reach... especially out in the open like that.

Lots of vids on YT about medieval weapons and their actual effectiveness...
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:25 am

GarryB wrote:

Interesting looking game... surprised the number of people using axes and swords... a spear is actually more powerful out in the open if used skillfully... or should I say it is as much work to learn to use skillfully as any sword or axe, but has enormous advantages in reach... especially out in the open like that.

Looks the same as Chivalry, which is/was the big popular 1st-person medieval combat game for nigh on 10 years now

Although I actually preferred a little game called War of the Roses. Until the servers were shut down and I couldn't play it anymore at any rate. It's third-person, but was very focused on realism and technical skill when it comes to swinging your weapons and aiming them right. Brilliant game, especially when opposing teams elected to decide things by duels.
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:10 am

GarryB wrote:

If armor actually works in that game the axe is a good choice. It might not cut through armor but it will break skulls and bones with a good strong hit.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:59 pm

flamming_python wrote:

Looks the same as Chivalry, which is/was the big popular 1st-person medieval combat game for nigh on 10 years now

Although I actually preferred a little game called War of the Roses. Until the servers were shut down and I couldn't play it anymore at any rate. It's third-person, but was very focused on realism and technical skill when it comes to swinging your weapons and aiming them right. Brilliant game, especially when opposing teams elected to decide things by duels.

I played chivalry for like 400 hours. Loved the game, however, the ballerina mechanics have destroyed the game and any interest by new players. It is impossible to predict a player's direction of attack to block or parry if he abuses the ballerina mechanics to its full potential.

The Ballerina mechanics refers to the possibility to swing your weapon and move your mouse in such way, that your character turns 180° while his Hammer/Maul is swung from above his head and your character snaps in the middle while touching with his head his toes (in full body armor). There is zero reaction time the enemy has and people who played that game for several thousand hours would be just one man armies.

Along with bugs and glitches that could cancel the animation for your next swing by simply switching weapons back and forth before a strike. Things like that destroyed the game.

Mordhau while better has also some bugs that are annyoing, but less severe and it is much harder to become a one man army.

Chivalry 2 I haven't played yet, but would like to.

If armor actually works in that game the axe is a good choice. It might not cut through armor but it will break skulls and bones with a good strong hit.

The Axes in this game are quite good, but Armor is obviously not really doing anything other than reducing the damage points which slowly reduce your health. Would be the armor in the slightest be more realistic then Archers and onehanded swordsmen would be jobless.

I prefer the Hellberd, Knightsword or Berdych. Sometimes I just like to kill horsemen swith the short bill since it can dismount the rider. tongue

GarryB wrote:Interesting looking game... surprised the number of people using axes and swords... a spear is actually more powerful out in the open if used skillfully... or should I say it is as much work to learn to use skillfully as any sword or axe, but has enormous advantages in reach... especially out in the open like that.

The swords in that game have a slight speed advantage to overcome slower weapons. Would actually like to see that onehanded (light weapons) are barely capable to parry twohanded weapons, would make it more realistic but, yeah, just a game.

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:31 am

A double face ax is a waste of weight and energy... why duplicate the weight of an axe blade when you can only use one side at a time...

From the videos I have watched on YT it makes more sense to have a good blade on one side and a spike on the other side... the blade for exposed flesh or unarmoured targets.... or as a practical tool while the spike will punch though any level of wearable armour with the weight of the blade on the opposite side adding momentum and energy to the blow.

There is a guy on YT that does a lot of testing and is a bit of an expert (without being a pompous dick)... name is Skallagrim.

Very interesting to learn from.
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:04 am

Werewolf wrote:
    The Axes in this game are quite good, but Armor is obviously not really doing anything other than reducing the damage points which slowly reduce your health. Would be the armor in the slightest be more realistic then Archers and onehanded swordsmen would be jobless.

I prefer the Hellberd, Knightsword or Berdych. Sometimes I just like to kill horsemen swith the short bill since it can  dismount the rider. tongue
    Only the most heavily armored of knights wore full plate that are immune to bowshot and cutting edges. If games were to limit the amount of armor the typical players wear its possible to implement a realistic armor mechanic while still maintaining archery and swords as viable playstyles. It was that way in real life anyway.

Halberds are nice. Prefer the Poleax myself for the shear versatility of the spike, ax, and hammer.

GarryB wrote:
    A double face ax is a waste of weight and energy... why duplicate the weight of an axe blade when you can only use one side at a time...

From the videos I have watched on YT it makes more sense to have a good blade on one side and a spike on the other side... the blade for exposed flesh or unarmoured targets.... or as a practical tool while the spike will punch though any level of wearable armour with the weight of the blade on the opposite side adding momentum and energy to the blow.

There is a guy on YT that does a lot of testing and is a bit of an expert (without being a pompous dick)... name is Skallagrim.

True. Its also not a good idea for a weapon that one wrong hit can rebound back to the user's face. Twice more expensive for the amount of work each head needs as well.

Skall is good, been watching him for years. Recently discovered this dude who does a lot of reenactments of fighting manuals. Real great stuff.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:11 am

GarryB wrote:

Yea, I watched many of his videos. Quite good content but I also watch others and some in Russian.

In video games aesthetic touch inspired by fantasy movies is almost always present and even many times in Viking movies (horned helmets or double edged axes and oversized Sledgehammers).

lyle6 wrote:Only the most heavily armored of knights wore full plate that are immune to bowshot and cutting edges. If games were to limit the amount of armor the typical players wear its possible to implement a realistic armor mechanic while still maintaining archery and swords as viable playstyles. It was that way in real life anyway.

Halberds are nice. Prefer the Poleax myself for the shear versatility of the spike, ax, and hammer.

I absolutely agree, but in games how do you create a balance who will be the unfortunate twat on the battlefield who only gets a helmet and a spike and no other stuff and who is the rich knight in full plate armor and entire sophisticated weaponry of his choosing?

I would like to see such a game mode tho just to see if it is even possible to balance and have some realism but also fun for players. I think it is overall avoided since such genre is a small niche in itself and risking to flop such a project due to much realism and zero fun is not a motivation or risk developers take.

The game isn't that widely known nor modded to have this even achieved by fan community, but I would totally like to play that.

Airbornewolf likes this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:33 am

some new dev footage appeared of an naval simulation game called sea power: combat in the missile age

The team wants to make it realistic as possible, true to its real world units.
    They made cold waters before this so i have very high hopes.
    Also subsim's representative joked to them about releasing it right now.
    Subsim are Naval junkies, if they say it is good. it really is good.

Its animations and game looks amazing.

Another one i am wating for, Callisto Protocol.

From the Dead Space Creator and Dev Team that fled EA. Wink

And last but certainly not least, Darktide.
    Be 40K worthy, please. Cool

flamming_python, Werewolf, kvs and PapaDragon like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:25 am

Hey, let's lighten it up a little
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Castle-of-Illusion-APK-cover-1440x720

Now before you arch your eyebrow, let me tell you that this game exists in two editions; the original one on the Sega Mega Drive which came out nearly 30 years ago, and the remake which came out about 10 years ago; you can pick it up on Steam, or for your Xbox 360 or whatever.
    Both the original and the remake are amazing, critically acclaimed by everyone, and IMO are every bit as classic platformers as any of the Super Mario games on the NES and SNES.
    They're also quite easy games, but that's part of the charm. Controls are precise, the music is relaxing and the artwork is luscious. Get either, or both.

Video Games Thread - Page 17 8
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Ss_b21cd0dafe5402c8ba1a8d9bb7a03036bcb11dc5.1920x1080

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Img_2
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 139428-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-screenshot

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Castle_of_illusion_starring_mickey_mouse_image3
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 692889-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-windows-screenshot

Video Games Thread - Page 17 220213202849
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 686271-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-windows-screenshot

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Gal_10
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 692886-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-windows-screenshot

Video Games Thread - Page 17 2
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 686272-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-windows-screenshot

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Castle-of-Illusion-072
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 COL_MM5

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Castle_of_illusion_starring_mickey_mouse_image21
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 692865-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-windows-screenshot

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Castle_of_illusion_starring_mickey_mouse_image10
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 692883-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-windows-screenshot

Werewolf, Airbornewolf and PapaDragon like this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:56 am

haha interesting!, never figured you for playing Disney games Flamming!. Razz

I often play dark games. the most cheerful i have is the Sims 4 haha.

flamming_python and PapaDragon like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:15 am

Castle of Illusions, man I love that one

Played original back in school and a remake several years ago

If you want something similar try Duck Tales Remastered, it's masterpiece (played original on Gameboy ages ago, instantly remembered controls and levels)

I think I already recommended it here

Video Games Thread - Page 17 SI_WiiUDS_DuckTalesRemastered_image1600w

flamming_python likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:50 am

I have the remastered Duck Tales as well, but have only played it a bit.
    I never played the original so have no nostalgia pangs enticing me to it. Should give it a proper go soon.

PapaDragon likes this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:35 am

...One Ukrainian decided to celebrate Russian Steam games so that they would not be bought. So we have a convenient list of about 600 Russian games presented in Steam:
    https://store.steampowered.com/curator/42985013/

For everyone who would like to learn new things about games from Russian developers Very Happy

GarryB, flamming_python, Werewolf and kvs like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:13 am

Hahahaha... nice.... found this game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/519190/Next_Day_Survival/?curator_clanid=42985013

Next Day: Survival

Next Day is a multi-player SURVIVAL game with elements of RPG, in an imaginary country in Eastern Europe. Carry out an array of tasks, learn skills, and develop your character. Have shootouts with opponents and earn a reputation.

So set in an imaginary EE country... lets call it the Ukraine shall we... Twisted Evil

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:53 pm

The companies making video games are utter scum. In this case id Software, Zenimax and Bethesda. When you evaluate
    gaming benchmarks on different video cards (AMD vs Nvidia) consider the scum that made these games. You can bet your
    last piece of pocket lint that they are in bed with Nvidia to sabotage AMD benchmarks. Nvidia is another scumbag outfit
    that plays dirty and they use their market position to secure their "leadership". This means pushing their own game development
    libraries which automatically favour their own hardware. The trash programmers at the video game companies will not go out
    of their way to develop universally optimized code.

Anyone who doubts this corruption should consider the schizophrenic benchmark performance on different games. It does not
    make any physical sense for inferior hardware to run some games faster. Clearly it is all about how the game is coded.

SolidarityWithRussia

Post  SolidarityWithRussia Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:27 pm

Is anyone playing Command here? They are about to release a big update soon.

GarryB likes this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:14 am

from an Russian developer, Steel Balalaika.

They are making an game Broken Arrow

An modern RTS i can not wait to play as the Reds and lay waste to NATO.
    it seems to also sport modular units that you can give loadouts as you desire.

Details on units are amazing as well.
    it looks for me the perfect combination of World in Conflict and Wargame Red Dragon.

I am not sure if its an mechanic or not.
    I saw some games doing it so its possible

Where troops not under fire are calm over the radio
    And units engaging or being engaged respond accordingly over the radio, under adrenaline or stressed.
    some even panicking when things turn very dark.

that would be closer to real life. Would add an extra layer of immersion for me.

Armata 14 at 2:54 Cool

kvs, zepia, thegopnik, lyle6 and Scorpius like this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:40 pm

The Russian force showcase for Broken Arrow
    Or....Force Z Simulator?.

Hmmm....this seems familiar?....
    Nah...must be coincidence.pirat

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Captu128

GarryB, flamming_python, kvs, zepia and lyle6 like this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:51 pm

Its got the entire Russian Army arsenal in it. Holy shit.

GarryB, flamming_python, Airbornewolf, kvs, thegopnik and Kiko like this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:46 am

popular game from Russia.

GarryB, flamming_python and zepia like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:11 pm

Okaaaay I want to do a Neo Geo 2D fighting game special today

You ARE familiar with the Neo Geo right?
    This thing?

Video Games Thread - Page 17 H3bf92bfd83ea4ad5b8d1a4aa5af13aa1w

Yeah.. you might have heard the name, especially in connection with retro-releases of some of its games on GOG, or the Samurai Shodown or King of Fighters series which are still going strong to this day and have their origins on this system

But the console itself is very rare (both the cartridge and the CD based version), and in fact was always rare even during its life-cycle during the 90s. Certainly in Europe they were nowhere to be found. I think you only really had owners in the US and Japan, and even then - the thing about the system is that it was expensive. At least $500, maybe $600. And the games were some $60-70 each. But it was in terms of graphics of course blowing its closest competitors, the Sega Mega Drive and SNES - out of the water. It was still competing with the next console generation; the PS1, Saturn and N64; at least in terms of 2D games - fighting, shooters and the like. It never had a very big library, but its library was like the system itself - very high quality. There weren't any outright bad games I can think of. And plenty of classics.

There was also a Neo Geo arcade system, which looked like this:

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Neo-geo-big-red-in-the-collection

Those were big in Mexico and some other Latin American countries, because those countries had some massive import tariffs which made importing arcade cabinets for each new game highly unprofitable. But the Neo Geo arcade machine was one that took cartridges (bigger versions of the home system ones), so an operator could simply order in a new cartridge for his machine, swap the bezels and side artwork out; and he instantly got a good-as-new arcade cabinet for a new game.
    As a result the King of Fighters series became more popular in Latin America than anywhere else in the world. Fun fact.

Anyway I was exploring its fighting game library some years back, and just recently got back into it. I don't have the original system but you can emulate the Neo Geo on a potato these days. I'm running all these games perfectly on my 15-year old PSP, for example.

I haven't got through all of them but here are some of the gems I found:

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Flyer-japones-galaxy-fight
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Sddefault
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Sddefault

Galaxy Fight
    An absolutely awesome visual and audio treat. The fighting has some real oomph to it, it's extremely satisfying. And all the stages, characters showcase a high level of creativity.
    I'd say this is one of the best fighting games on the system. But hardcore fighting game fans might feel the game is a bit limited and generic; it only has 3 attack buttons for instance and few of these unique special mechanics we would associate with some of the premier fighting games series - special moves, desperation moves, cancellations into combos and so on. As a result, the game is easier to master, and of no interest to competitive players. But for any casual fan - you won't be disappointed for sure.
    Play the Neo Geo CD version if you can, it came out a little later and I think it has been tweaked so that computer AI is not quite as unforgiving, and the music is also superior.

Video Games Thread - Page 17 The-last-blade-pc-game-steam-cover
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 AVvXsEgdFlfmwZGwPP8Uvb3xCY-4otxlbGhlpxUk7A_X-h5XsO5p4kSVFQ_4x9xctxtU5y4f6yl_x8z-4ys4hHK0A5G3491HvSQgrBulhVCYmbCUkG8iFlRY8C4DZUhRpLAdZkmPHmQvpIuGGU9VW36nx8yNaO1RZhabIrnC2H9SLcjvuo3BVaIr-ep-kjKA=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 CtoNzyC

The Last Blade 1 & 2
    I'd say this series is easily the best weapon-fighting game on the Neo Geo. It controls very fluidly, and is very accessible even to beginners and button-mashing, but to get good at it requires a lot of studying of the mechanics, developing timing and patience. It's here that it differs from Samurai Shodown, the other main sword-fighting 2D game series on the Neo Geo - which is highly praised, but that I simply could never get into - as it's highly dissatisfying for beginners and has a steep entry curve, among other drawbacks in my eyes.
    The Last Blade series on the other hand, has the same level of mechanical complexity to master, but offers a really rewarding experience even to the most casual players too. Its music and atmosphere is also 2nd to none; at least on the Neo Geo CD version (which is what I advise playing it on) rather than the baseline Neo Geo one. Some stages even omit the music if the previous stage were on had it played; with just the ambient sounds instead serving to ramp up the tension.

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Kof99-1662677371774
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 4%20copy
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 1522923550_kof_99

King of Fighters '99: Millennium Battle
    There are like 15 games in this series; and I'm sure they're all amazing and you can't go wrong with any of them. But to be honest, I've only had the time to try out the first one ('94), and '99. Of those '94 is a very interesting game in and of itself - locking you into set teams of 3 and with this old school atmosphere, yet '99 is even better; not surprising as the SNK team pretty much just iteratively improved with every new game, introducing some new features and getting rid of those ones that didn't work as well as they'd hoped.
    Anyway, what's there to say. Amazing fighting action; again instantly accessible to and satisfying for beginners, yet also deep and complex enough for months worth of study if you're so inclined. Fantastic music, sound effects. Sprites and background work is 2nd to none. It even tries its hand at a story, although good luck with that unless you decide to read through all the accompanying manga's and so on that were released around the same time.
    Get it.

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Apps.329.14165017654151691.b0cd20cc-b753-44ea-bf81-1e63d3074ca6
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Aggressors-of-dark-kombat-09
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Aggressors-of-Dark-Kombat-screenshot-1

Aggressors of Dark Kombat
    Now, I wouldn't say that this game is quite up to the level of the classics that I've exhibited so far. But it's nonetheless still a great game, and as 2D fighters go, a very unique one. Because it almost tries to emulate a 3D arena, with you being able to move towards and away on the stage like in an old school beat 'em up. Sometimes spectators might chuck you some weapon pickups to help you with your opponent. The music changes dynamically as the fight progresses; and the music is typically very suited to the action. Combos feel very satisfying, and combat is limited to one round but goes on for a long time - it's almost like an endurance match between you and your opponent, and that again, is something that is pretty unique.
    Highly recommended.

Airbornewolf, kvs and thegopnik like this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:38 am

so, anyone here has a Steam Deck?.

For the ones that do not know what it is, it is an portable game machine developed by the game distributor/developer Valve.
    An handheld console like an nintendo switch. Just a size bigger and aimed at playing PC games.
    It runs out of the box on Linux, that has been customised and is called SteamOS.
    But you can run an shared OS on it. It accepts Windows 10 just fine if you know how to tweak a bit after it's main install Wink.

The Steam deck comes in three variants. from 419 to 679 euro's.

The difference's are in extra's, storage and screen type tough.
    They are all the same in regards of hardware performance.
    Keep in mind you can extend the storage of all models with an micro SSD that supports hot-swapping.

I personally am a PC gaming addict, so i went with the top-line.
    There is a story of me and the reservation experience, but ill skip that.
    In short, i was late to the party. But at least it means i did not had to deal with first-gen factory issues.

The Steam deck has been now six months in my possesion. And this is what i have done with it.
    The Steam deck is not locked, Valve allows you to do whatever you want with it to its settings and software.

I partitioned it's SSD into an Linux and Windows one equally.
    So i can run windows 10, with the same setting and programs as the desktop PC i have at home.
    This allows me to have my own PC away from home for the things i do normally at home.
    Like scouring Telegram for footage, do video editing and work-related things.
    Or just scour the internet while enjoying a movie on the couch in the livingroom.

The USB-C connection and third-party hub allows me to flawlessly connect peripherals and other hardware.
    It is no issue for the Steam Deck. There are some great third party products out there for the SteamDeck.
    Jsaux being my favourite.

And me clearly failing the "do i have enough peripherals?" question.
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 20220811

I know not very much about Linux, the programming behind Steam OS.
    But the SteamOS is very friendly. its UI is amazingly desinged and menu's where given a lot of tought.
    you can tweak refresh rates, power settings, core settings and etcetera.
    So you can customize the steam deck to however you like in regards to battery power and performance.

And the biggest pro i found using the Steam OS is that you can run an Proton compatibility layer on your PC game.
    It also grants you to fully customise the SteamDeck controls to the PC inputs exactly as you wish.
    an button can be programmed to be an key, an combination of keys, mouse action, or gamepad.
    the options are truly endless.

Also the benefit of running in Steam OS is that you can use in-game layers like battery life, usage. quick-sleep your game and pick up as soon you revive your steam deck.
    Under windows you do not have this option, not to mention windows is always hogging your PC resources for dumb things you do not need.
    Like constantly searching for updates being among them. The Steam OS is there for you, not for Microsoft.

There is also an desktop mode for the SteamOS, it is what i use to quickly pauze a game. check up on here and Odysee.
    And when i am done i just drop back into the game flawlessy. The experience for me is amazing.

And what it was mostly intended for, Gameplay.

I am an strategy and city builder kind of guy.
    I was very pleasantly suprised it ran AAA titles under these.
    City's skylines,Surviving Mars, Planet Zoo/Coaster. Stellaris, Etc. run amazingly.
    Also the likes of Fallout 4, Forza 5 run like a charm.
    And Mass Effect Legendary edition is an pleasure to play.

Da Tovarisch, you can build your own glorious soviet republic on this machine.

The Steam Deck achieves this by an well designed custom GPU/CPU and scaling it to an 1280 x 800 display.
    It is not HD but you do not notice the difference while gaming.
    I played Project Wingman, and Ace combat style game at high settings and the game ran fast enough with high FPS to be playable.

Granted, sometimes you need to tweak a bit the settings and try out what works or not.
    But i am really happy with it pulling off heavy titles under acceptable framerates and settings.
    There is one downside tough, The SteamDeck can punch it's way with AAA titles under high settings.
    But it will consume it's internal battery under two hours under maximum draw.
    So an external USB-C battery is then reccomended.

One note i do want to mention. The Steam Deck is not an locked platform by valve. So it is the perfect Emulation machine.
    You want to play N64, PS1, Sega, Ninteno whatever. you can!. and Valve made this possible trough the RetroArch software you can download for free on Steam.

For me, the Steam Deck is not just an replacement for my work laptop. It is for me my desktop PC away from home.
    And if i just want to game, it acts as an xbox you just power on into SteamOS to play a game in an amazingly designed Steam OS running on linux.

Because Denazification does not stop when you leave home Wink

ill stop here or it gets too long Wink

GarryB, Werewolf, kvs and lyle6 like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:51 pm