Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+10
sweartome123
kvs
medo
GarryB
VladimirSahin
Asf
Zivo
KomissarBojanchev
Regular
alexgiorev3
14 posters

Russian Infantry Training

alexgiorev3

Russian Infantry Training Empty Russian Infantry Training

Post  alexgiorev3 Sun May 05, 2013 10:58 am

Hello i just wanted to know what the russian infantry training is like because unlike the usa russian army has NO videos about it's training or atleast i wasnt able to find any decent. I know there are people who served for russia so i will be thankfull to find out what the training is like and is it true that the moral of the russians is really low ?
    Regular
    Regular

Russian Infantry Training Empty Re: Russian Infantry Training

Post  Regular Sun May 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Hello, Russian infantry training depends on unit. I didn't serve in Russia but I know good number of people who did and their training was different. You have to ask something specific to get proper answer.
    Why should morale be low? There is no war, conditions aren't that bad, srochniki serve less time than before, not to mention contract soldiers. Morale is very high in their units. Just look at 8.8.8. conflict.

Here are videos of shooting practices, tell me if it does answer Your questions

KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Sun May 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Are there any videos on the training of regular Russian mechanized infantry?
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 pm

AMX-10P, Bradley with pantons (don't know word for english). There must be more I think

There isn't too many, M113, AAV-7A1, AMX-10P.

Both the AAV and the Bradley couldn't really flank effectively over water. If the enemy sees an AAV they would prepare for an amphibious attack on their flank. The Bradley takes time to set up the pontoons, even then I'm not sure how effective they actually are. It would be one hell of a slow flanking maneuver.

alexgiorev3

Post  alexgiorev3 Mon May 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Is tactical shooting also a part of BASIC training ? Just so you guys know by basic training i mean training that regular army units go trough not soldiers like vdv or other special units.

Asf

Russian Infantry Training Empty Russian Army training

Post  Asf Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I'd like to create thread about the Russian Army overall readiness and trainings to unify he information and stop 'conscripts doing nothing' syndrome.

The first ball is mine:

51th airbourne regiment, 106th airbourne division,

A soldier gets 30 rounds an one grenade per exercise. The task of the exercise is to hit 3 targets and throw the grenade up to a 30 meters for given time. Conscripted soldiers as well as contract soldiers are all rated "A" and "B" this time. Exercises on a firing range are conducted 2 times a week for several hours in a full load (it's about 7,5 kg of equipment and ammo plus 4 kg of a weapon).

Here (in Russian)
    VladimirSahin
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Finally something I can give information or relate too paratrooper

I wan't to tell about this one exercise we had in 2011 in Pskov, We were given 2 magazines and 1 grenade each (my particular unit), Our objective was to secure a area and hold it for logistics to pass through, We were 6 men inside a BMD-2 and we went onto the road and a simulated bomb went off and the crew of the BMD-2 had to repair their tracks, We were to secure the area as they repair it, So our squad leader ordered the machine gunner to suppress this tree line where "enemies" were.  Once the commander ordered him to stop the crew already "repaired" their tracks. We sat on top this time and we made it to the our area.
    Then a recon unit was to come to our position and give coordinates of the enemy vehicles (cars from junkyard) And the NONA's would shoot at them.  All  targets were destroyed and the logistics passed through.

This was a small scale drill to test out NONAs, and the logistic trucks. This was in the Pskov base,  The NONAs were from the 1140 Artillery Regiment and I don't remember the recon units regiment, but at the time I was in the 76th Airborne assault division, 104th Airborne Assault regiment.  

I hope this isn't off topic, But here is just a summary of a small scale military exercise.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:27 am

Interesting thread... thanks for contributing you two. Smile
    Asf

Post  Asf Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:53 pm

We were 6 men inside a BMD-2
    Were you trained to operate in two 3-men teams? I've heard it's a standard VDV feature now
    I hope this isn't off topic
    No, it's great
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Any information, how is going on a new training facility building after sanctions from EU and Germany is stopping its building? There was some reports, that Transas will finish it. By original it should be already finished. How much time will Transas need to complete the work?
    VladimirSahin
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:24 am

Asf, We usually operated with one team of 6 and sometimes split up like you said into 2 teams of 3.  It all depended on situation for example if we were to move into a area we would leave one team of 3 behind containing a machine-gunner, A squad leader and sometimes GL. While the other team moves into the area to secure it.  While I'm at it let me tell you a bit more.

Our training was pretty hard, We wake up  very early and first 5 days it was 3 minutes to dress up when getting ready for day but after that they dropped it to 1 minute and 45 seconds we were to dress up in full uniform.  If we didn't we would get a punch or two or made to do extra labor.  We would run for 3-5 kilometers I don't know why they would increase it from 3 km but they did.

Our weapons training was one of my favorite,  We were all given AK-74Ms and then single shot targets at 50 to 150 meters(or maybe more but I dont remember) I had pretty good aim hit my target 6 out of 6 (Increase of rounds per shooting were increased the more we got trained).  I was trained to shoot RPG-7, I hit my first shot but missed my second during my first shooting. scratch  

Training to pack up our parachutes was the most aggravating, We were taught how to make our parachutes perfectly like 2 weeks before our jump, So that by the time we get to the real jump we would perfect our skills.  I have made around 15 jumps all of them in IL-76 except for one in a AN-22.

I will give more information as you guys ask so feel free to ask any question. thumbsup
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 am

I'm interested in squad leader training You can get in Russian army. How many modules and courses are there long does it take to get it? 
    What about leadership and what qualities are being looked at and how independand SL's are? Where I can read current documentation as I do have hundreds of pages of Lithuanian army one (Rewritten NATO manuals mostly)
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Training to pack up our parachutes was the most aggravating

Strange, I've heard, soldiers aren't supposed to pack their own parachutes now.

ask so feel free to ask any question

Look, I'm interested in new FOC of parachute company/batallion. What did your company include? Was a heavy weapons squad included?
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Where I can read current documentation

Nowhere, most likely, as it has 'for service purpose only' mark, unlike NATO instructions.
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:09 pm

How many modules and courses are there long does it take to get it? 

Link

Contract soldier training:

1 level - basic training

1 stage - basic combat training (6 weeks)

2 stage - speciality training (3 - 10 months)

2 level - squad-level training (at least 3 months)
    Requirements: age, health, educational level, professional level, physical shape, discipline level, at least 1 year of contract service, leadership (must be a psychological requirement)

3 level - platoon-level NCO training (up to 3 months)
    ect.

It can be a bit outdated info (seems to be Serdukov's era information - goverment web-pages are all suffer from bad administration)
    VladimirSahin
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Asf,

My company included a Recon squad, a Heavy Weapons squad, assault squads, and we even had a dedicated sniper squad but I think they were in recon category.  We had a Shoulder Launched AA squad, And a Heavy Anti Tank squad. Keep in mind it has been 2 years since I have finished my service, I may forget some stuff so sorry for any mistakes.

About the parachutes, We are assigned in groups to make our parachutes while the commander oversees us making it to make sure we dont mess up or just help us make it.
    Asf

Post  Asf Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:08 am

My company included a Recon squad

Wow, never heard of a company with a recon squad. Good decision imho. Or you meant a recon platoon in your batallion, as

a Shoulder Launched AA squad, And a Heavy Anti Tank squad

is obviously a batallion-level assets

so sorry for any mistakes

Nevermind
    VladimirSahin
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 pm

I believe it was in our company, Because the recon squad was stationed with us.  Whatever military drills we did they would follow company commander's orders.
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:48 am

Nice article about the resent Naval Infantry of Pacific Fleet drills with lots of pics here

Some translations (only the most interesting, sorry):

Naval Infanrty brigade of Pasific Fleet training took place on Khasan district shores

2. Firstly Su-24MR tactical recon aircrafts came from the seaside, and an air strike took place on a recon group's call.

3. The pathfinders landed from 3000 meters using special parachute systems to prepare the landing site for the main force of tactical desant.

8. Having entered the fire fight they continued the target acquisition mission for the air strikes.

9. The drills were the final part of the year test for Pacific Fleet naval infantrymen. Previously 'black berets' did some training landings on different training sites. The main feature of this drills was in a combined landing: an air-assault company and a mortar battary landed on the landing site from the above. It was they who took the enemy fire at the first place.

12. Tactical desant is on the way

13. First echelon of air-assault naval infantrymen opened fire before they reached the ground

17. An-26s dropped mortars and mortar ammunition upon the last approach

21. UAV was used to supervise the situation during trainings

22. 'Polite people' ( Rolling Eyes )

24. UAV operator

25. Mortarmen of the air-assault battalion is ready to open fire on command.

27. Another feature of the drills was the usage of marine aviation in support of the landing. Ka-52 Alligators were used.

30. Engineer recon group is going to the shore on landing ships

33. First echelon of naval infantry is ready for the landing

34. 'Admiral Nevelskoy' is right after them

36. Combat engeneers is landing in the spearhead

38. Shmel-armed troopers is covering their advance

49. BTR-mounted air-assault company has reformed into the combat formation

52. 'Nikolai Vilkov' landing ship appeared with the second echelon forces.

61. BMP-mounted naval infantry is entering the combat.

62. 'Peresvet' landing ship is ready to land the troops in another bay

65. Another air-assault company is going by the sea

78. The drills ended after the sunset

Colonel Andrei Borodin, chief of the Shore forces of Pacific Fleet: "During the trainings the combat for landing site was shown, it is the most complex part of marine desant operation. Air-assault batallion of 155th brigade as a part of air-sea assault detachment was capturing the landing site. Batallion earned 'good' (e.g. 'B') grade"

19 ships, 20 airplanes and 5 helicopters took part in the drills.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:28 am

Thanks for the post Asf. Nice drills Russia is having. Very high level of tactics involved. Really shows how puny infantry is in this terrain. I wish more guided weapons would be involved when it comes to air power. Never seen it being used.
    But I've heard that they are training with dumb ones because smart bomb attack can be simulated by not even having bomb at all. I've been told by one source that AF practices hitting targets on their own cities, factories, bridges and etc.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:28 am

But I've heard that they are training with dumb ones because smart bomb attack can be simulated by not even having bomb at all. I've been told by one source that AF practices hitting targets on their own cities, factories, bridges and etc.

With certain upgrades the Su-24 can deliver dumb bombs with the accuracy of guided weapons... the new upgraded aircraft have a bomb aiming marker that shows where any dumb bombs that might be dropped will hit and it is continuously calculated and has reasonably good accuracy as long as there is no return fire.

When there is return fire obviously there are guided bombs and missiles that will do the same job from much greater stand off distances, but it is like navigation... if you can use a compass and map and a watch to plot a course to find a target and hit it and then fly home then you are well able to perform your mission even if the GLONASS fails.
    Asf

Post  Asf Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:25 am

Some photos of VDV troops from SREM-2014 (Serbia)

Russian Infantry Training 10730829_1536127453296672_7135164411407253998_n
    Russian Infantry Training 10624787_1536127413296676_6463000592690432005_n
    Russian Infantry Training 11053_1536127663296651_1458046263086489773_n
    Russian Infantry Training 1010137_1536127559963328_4769434985572502507_n

From Twower's blog
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:00 am

http://www.sdelanounas.ru/blogs/57274/

Russian Infantry Training C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvdXBsb2Fkcy8zLzQvMzQyMTQyMTE2OTM2NF9vcmlnLmpwZWc_X19pZD01NzI3NA==

The training center abandoned by Rheinmetall has been completed without them.

Nice. russia
    sweartome123

Post  sweartome123 Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:37 am

deleted

Last edited by sweartome123 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:08 am

Funny... asking questions and then having a rant before you have heard the answers... sounds a little like the answers don't matter to you?

BTW bad trigger discipline happens everywhere... do you really want us to post western special forces with fingers on triggers with targets not in sight?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:44 pm