Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+25
Odin of Ossetia
Djabberwocky
Cifu
ScotchedEarth
d_taddei2
sepheronx
mack8
Rodinazombie
franco
victor1985
Godric
George1
jhelb
Stealthflanker
flamming_python
Sujoy
Cyberspec
SOC
Werewolf
KomissarBojanchev
collegeboy16
Austin
GarryB
IronsightSniper
nightcrawler
29 posters

Military/War Books-Publications

George1
    George1

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 5 Empty Re: Military/War Books-Publications

Post  George1 Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 pm

GarryB wrote:Looks like you have linked to a file directly on your own personal hard drive which we cannot access.

To share such files you would need to upload them to a file sharing site and share the link.

You can also do a websearch based on the file name as it seems to be very specific... which led me to this:

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RRA400/RRA444-3/RAND_RRA444-3.pdf

You should be able to right click that link and download it...

you are right..thanks!

GarryB likes this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 5 Empty Re: Military/War Books-Publications

Post  Kiko Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:54 am

My next scheduled reading is Vassili Grossman's Life and Fate. Got some nice recommendations about it, referring to being a Great Patriotic War 20th century equivalent of Count Tolstoy's War and Peace. Really appropriate for current times indeed.
    11E

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 5 Empty BTG book from book.ru

Post  11E Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:31 pm

I ''found'' this book on book.ru together with a lot of other books about military subjects. This book is about the Battalion Tactical Groups and its composition.

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 5 Btg11

I have some question marks about the BTG composition which is in this book. If I'am correct the one of the reasons (among others of course) that the Russian army is transferring back from Brigades to Divisions/Regiments because the span of control was to not ideal for a Brigade commander (to many units) and that is was better manageable for a commander to have a regiment/division structure with for example in the meeting engagement the combined arms structure.

When I see the composition of a BTG in this book there are a huge amount of sub-units which are put in the schematic BTG making the span of control for the BTG commander more difficult and creating the same ''problem'' as with a Brigade.

So, is this an official Russian army publication or ''just'' a civilian publication and is this book the way of thinking when the Brigade was still seen as the ideal solution or is it the brand new army vision of today (because the publication date is 2022) and it suggests that the book is intended for military students.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely,
    Lesley

GarryB likes this post

teh_beard
    teh_beard

Post  teh_beard Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:59 pm

11E wrote:So, is this an official Russian army publication or ''just'' a civilian publication and is this book the way of thinking when the Brigade was still seen as the ideal solution or is it the brand new army vision of today (because the publication date is 2022) and it suggests that the book is intended for military students.

This is indeed an approved textbook for students of military academies who are to be platoon commanders, just like any other textbook.
    But not a publication by MOD itself, so you won`t find any secret or restricted information in there. Those materials printed in academic own typographies and do not generally leave their walls. Unless someone wants to **** up his career and make one for a nice man from FSB, if caught.

GarryB likes this post

11E

Post  11E Mon May 02, 2022 11:10 pm

Thanks for the explanation, I already thought it was not an official MoD publication.

Even so, I'am surprised to see books like this available for the general public. I never seen a publication in a Dutch bookstore telling about the organisation of Dutch army of battle groups / teams and how to adjust artillery fire. Here it are all Dutch Army publications with a classification. Most times the lowest, but nevertheless.

Sincerely,
    Lesley

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:47 am