Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+72
11E
lancelot
andalusia
Gazputin
limb
lyle6
marcellogo
Giulio
GunshipDemocracy
Cyberspec
Isos
Mir
KeMac
kvs
The-thing-next-door
Hole
dino00
RusMil
miketheterrible
David27mc
JMCR
sjosiowicz
amcm923
Sanctus Ferri
Arctic_Fox
franco
Zhongqing
russianrisk
atiboss
Cplnew83
magnumcromagnon
Regular
ult
par far
Captain Nemo
Walther von Oldenburg
Stiangul
higurashihougi
r111
zg18
Anas Ali
Werewolf
Zivo
Rpg type 7v
collegeboy16
SSDD
Stealthflanker
ricky123
TR1
KomissarBojanchev
Mr.Kalishnikov47
ahmedfire
flamming_python
George1
ehtesham
AlexanderGiorev
njb1
Austin
IronsightSniper
Viktor
medo
GarryB
nightcrawler
Russian Patriot
Farhad Gulemov
fabyak47
milky_candy_sugar
DrofEvil
sepheronx
Sukhoi37_Terminator
Admin
10misha10
76 posters

Question Thread: Russian Army

10misha10

Question Thread: Russian Army Empty I need information about AEK-971 and an-94

Post  10misha10 Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:29 pm

I need information about AEK-971 and an-94 plz What a Face
    Admin
    Admin

Question Thread: Russian Army Empty Re: Question Thread: Russian Army

Post  Admin Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Why don't you google it?
    10misha10

Post  10misha10 Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:05 pm

google not helping me...
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:35 am

10misha10 wrote:google not helping me...

Help you find what? There are plenty of info on wiki and other sites. If you don't specify what you want to know, this thread will be closed.
    Sukhoi37_Terminator
    Sukhoi37_Terminator

Post  Sukhoi37_Terminator Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:04 pm

An 94 called Abakan 94:
    Caliber: 5.45x39 mm
    Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt; moving barrel-receiver-gas drive group for delayed recoil action
    Overall length: 943 mm (728 mm with butt folded)
    Barrel length: 405 mm
    Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
    Weight, without magazine: 3.85 k g
    Cyclic rate of fire: 1800 and 600 rounds per minute variable (see description below for explanation)
    Maximum effective range: 700 meters

The AN-94 assault rifle had been officially adopted by the Russian Army and the Ministry of Internal Affairs in 1994 as a possible replacement for the venerable Kalashnikov AK-74 series assault rifles. The AN index means "Avtomat Nikonova", or Nikonov Assault rifle. This rifle had been designed by the Gennady Nikonov, a Russian arms designer, at the IZHMASH state factories, during the late 1980s and early 1990s. This rifle, initially known as the ASN prototype, had been developed for and submitted to the Russian Army trial contest, held in the early 1990s. This contest, known under the code name "Abakan" (a small city in Russia), was intended to develop the more effective replacement for the AK-74 assault rifles. The ASN was tested among the many other prototypes and eventually won the trials, and was consequently adopted. Originally it was intended to replace most, if not all, AK-74 rifles in the Russian service, but it soon turned out that the complete replacement is impossible due to the economical (mostly) and some other reasons. At the present time the AN-94 is considered as the "professionals' choice", and is used in limited numbers by the elite forces of the Russian Army, police and Internal Affairs Ministry. The main body of the Russian armed forces are still armed with the Kalashnikov assault rifles, and AK-type rifles will remain in service for a long time, most probably.

Question Thread: Russian Army An94-1Question Thread: Russian Army An94-2
    http://world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm

I HOPE THIS COULD HELP YOU. I LL GET SOME INFO ABOUT AEK 971
    Sukhoi37_Terminator
    Sukhoi37_Terminator

Post  Sukhoi37_Terminator Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:09 pm

AEK
    Caliber: 5.45x39mm (AEK-971), 5.56x45 (AEK-972) and 7.62x39mm (AEK-973)
    Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt, balanced
    Overall length: 965 mm
    Barrel length: 420 mm
    Weigth: 3.3 kg without magazine
    Magazine capacity: 30 rds, all standart AK-47 or AK-74 magazines depending on caliber

The AEK-971 assault rifle was developed at Kovrov Machinebuilding Plant (formerly known as Kovrov Machineguns Plant) by chief designer S.I. Koksharov. Originally designed and tested during 'Abakan' trials of late 1980s, it failed in trials, but its development was continued in hopes to sell the gun to police forces and for export. During early 2000s small batches of AEK-971 rifles in 5.45x39 caliber were manufactured for Russian MVD (internal affairs ministry) troops, but its production has ceased in 2006, as Kovrov Machinebuilding Plant got rid of all military production and switched to civilain products only. All plans, tools and technological packages for AEK weapons were transferred to the ZID plant in the same city, but production of the AEK-971 was not resumed due to the lack of orders that might warrant expensive tooling and production setup at new factory.

The AEK-971 assault rifle has a gas driven, balanced action with rotating bolt locking. Balancing mean that AEK971 gas drive has two gas chambers and two gas pistons. The first gas piston is linked via a gas rod to the bolt carrier and operates as usual. The second gas piston is linked to a balancing steel weight and moves in the opposite direction to the main gas piston. Both pistons are synchronized through a simple gear. This design is intended to eliminate three of the four elements of action impulses, which cause a rifle to move during full-auto fire. The first impulse is received when the bullet moves along the barrel - this is the basic recoil itself. The second impulse is received when the heavy bolt carrier/bolt group moves along the receiver back and forth. The third impulse is received when bolt carrier/bolt group slams against the receiver in the rear position, and the fourth when this group is stopped in the forward position after a new cartridge is chambered. The synchronous and opposite movement of the balancing weight eliminates all except the recoil impulse, so the rifle becomes far more stable during full-auto fire.
    The gain in accuracy in full auto is about 15-20%, when compared to the AK-74 assault rifle in the same caliber. The AN-94 assault rifle, which was officially adopted by Russian army, has a slight edge over the AEK-971 only in short burst (2 rounds only) mode. In full-auto medium or long burst fire mode (3-5 or 7-10 rounds per burst) AEK-971 wins hands down, being also some 0.5kg lighter than the AN-94, and much simpler and cheaper to manufacture.

Question Thread: Russian Army Aek-973sQuestion Thread: Russian Army Aek-971-late1Question Thread: Russian Army Aek971_545
    10misha10

Post  10misha10 Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Sukhoi37_Terminator wrote:An 94 called Abakan 94:
    Caliber: 5.45x39 mm
    Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt; moving barrel-receiver-gas drive group for delayed recoil action
    Overall length: 943 mm (728 mm with butt folded)
    Barrel length: 405 mm
    Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
    Weight, without magazine: 3.85 k g
    Cyclic rate of fire: 1800 and 600 rounds per minute variable (see description below for explanation)
    Maximum effective range: 700 meters

The AN-94 assault rifle had been officially adopted by the Russian Army and the Ministry of Internal Affairs in 1994 as a possible replacement for the venerable Kalashnikov AK-74 series assault rifles. The AN index means "Avtomat Nikonova", or Nikonov Assault rifle. This rifle had been designed by the Gennady Nikonov, a Russian arms designer, at the IZHMASH state factories, during the late 1980s and early 1990s. This rifle, initially known as the ASN prototype, had been developed for and submitted to the Russian Army trial contest, held in the early 1990s. This contest, known under the code name "Abakan" (a small city in Russia), was intended to develop the more effective replacement for the AK-74 assault rifles. The ASN was tested among the many other prototypes and eventually won the trials, and was consequently adopted. Originally it was intended to replace most, if not all, AK-74 rifles in the Russian service, but it soon turned out that the complete replacement is impossible due to the economical (mostly) and some other reasons. At the present time the AN-94 is considered as the "professionals' choice", and is used in limited numbers by the elite forces of the Russian Army, police and Internal Affairs Ministry. The main body of the Russian armed forces are still armed with the Kalashnikov assault rifles, and AK-type rifles will remain in service for a long time, most probably.

Question Thread: Russian Army An94-1Question Thread: Russian Army An94-2
    http://world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm

I HOPE THIS COULD HELP YOU. I LL GET SOME INFO ABOUT AEK 971
    The AEK and AN-94 are in use Russian army???
    Sukhoi37_Terminator
    Sukhoi37_Terminator

Post  Sukhoi37_Terminator Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 pm

The Russian army compared both riffles and choosed the An94, to replace older Ak74M.
    MVD troops have already reviced their new Nikonov Assault riffles. However the biggest part of the Russian army still use the AK74m and AKS74m. In a few word the AN 94 is in limitated service, but soon it will have wider usage.
    The AEK 971 isn`t in production or usage.
    10misha10

Post  10misha10 Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Sukhoi37_Terminator wrote:The Russian army compared both riffles and choosed the An94, to replace older Ak74M.
    MVD troops have already reviced their new Nikonov Assault riffles. However the biggest part of the Russian army still use the AK74m and AKS74m. In a few word the AN 94 is in limitated service, but soon it will have wider usage.
    The AEK 971 isn`t in production or usage.
    ok ty and one more why AEK isn't in production?
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Izhmash is going to be making a revolutionary AK in the near future, this will be the new standard infantry weapon.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:Izhmash is going to be making a revolutionary AK in the near future, this will be the new standard infantry weapon.

A possible Bullpup assault rifle? I cannot wait!
    DrofEvil

Question Thread: Russian Army Empty T-95 project (cancelled)

Post  DrofEvil Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:25 am

There are 2 weapon programs that we have heard about for some time now. The Pak-FA & the T-95. In this case my question revolves around the T-95. When is this machine will be shown to the public? For over a decade I read about a revolutionary design with a 135 to 152mm main gun, 3 man positioned inside the hull, turret less design etc.. In 2009 we were supposed to have been introduced to this vehicle. When will it be presented? angry
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:27 am

2010.... How about introducing yourself here?

http://russiadefence.forumotion.com/member-introductions-and-rules-f6/
    milky_candy_sugar
    milky_candy_sugar

Post  milky_candy_sugar Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 pm

There are 2 weapon programs that we have heard about for some time now. The Pak-FA & the T-95. In this case my question revolves around the T-95. When is this machine will be shown to the public? For over a decade I read about a revolutionary design with a 135 to 152mm main gun, 3 man positioned inside the hull, turret less design etc.. In 2009 we were supposed to have been introduced to this vehicle. When will it be presented?
    Ohhhh snap, but yeah read the rules first
    fabyak47
    fabyak47

Question Thread: Russian Army Empty :T

Post  fabyak47 Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm

i have seen some videos on Youtube i don't know if it is the real T-95 Smile anywhay great Main Battle Tank ! Smile Russia Rulles:)
    DrofEvil

Post  DrofEvil Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 pm

fabyak47 wrote:i have seen some videos on Youtube i don't know if it is the real T-95 Smile anywhay great Main Battle Tank ! Smile Russia Rulles:)

The only video on YouTube that had any relevancy was the one were they had covered armored vehicles being transported on a train. A high ranking officer was saying that this tank looked different then it's predecessors and should be shown to the public "soon." I think the word "soon" is open to interpretation. All other videos show the Black Eagle as a T-95 which is incorrect.
    fabyak47
    fabyak47

Question Thread: Russian Army Empty AHA

Post  fabyak47 Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:52 pm

aaa now i understand Very Happy i whait to see it soo Smile
    Farhad Gulemov
    Farhad Gulemov

Question Thread: Russian Army Empty Question Thread: Russian Army

Post  Farhad Gulemov Sun May 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi,

I have read that foreign units have been invited to participate to the next Victory Day parade in Moscow.

Does anybody have the exact list of the units which we will march on that day?

Thanks!
    Farhad Gulemov
    Farhad Gulemov

Question Thread: Russian Army Empty some details in Pravda

Post  Farhad Gulemov Sat May 08, 2010 2:42 am

Nearly 1,000 veterans from all republics of the former USSR will arrive in Moscow to view the parade on Red Square. The tribunes for them have already been erected along the Kremlin wall. The leaders of Bulgaria, Vietnam, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, China, Macedonia, Mongolia, Serbia, Slovakia, France, Latvia, Slovenia, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia and many other countries will arrive in Moscow for festive celebrations of the 65th anniversary of the victory.

The leaders of Ukraine, Belarus, the USA and Britain will not be able to come to Russia for personal reasons. The politicians referred to busy schedules. Moldova ’s acting president Mikhai Grimpu was very rude in his response to Russia’s invitation: “I have no ties with the Russian capital and I have nothing to do on Red Square on May 9th,” he said.

Georgia ’s Mikhail Saakashvili is the only leader of post-Soviet republics who did not receive an invitation to Moscow.

Military men from the countries of the anti-Hitler coalition – the USA, Britain and France – will also take part in the parade. The total number of military men participating in the parade exceeds 10,000 people, which is 2,500 more than in 2009. The parade will last for 80 minutes instead of traditional 60.

source: http://english.pravda.ru/russia/history/113315-1/
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Sat May 08, 2010 8:00 pm

France: Normandy Neman

British : Windsor Royal Guard ( cannot remeber batilion number)

USA: 82 Airborne Divison - Charlie Company 173th regiment ( if not mistaken)
    IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Post  IronsightSniper Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:27 pm

So here's a question, what's so different about the RPG-29?

It weighs 18.8 kg ready to fire, and is 1.85 m long ready to fire, about the height of a grown man. It's Penetrative capabilities according to Rosoboronexport is 600 mm of RHAe after ERA. If no ERA is used, I heard that it's capabilities has an added 200 mm RHAe. Wikipedia says differently, and puts it at 750 mm RHAe after ERA. Assuming that the precursor charge's penetrative capabilities are the same, then that's about 950 mm RHAe v.s. no ERA.

It has seen combat action, I've seen 2 videos of it used v.s. an M1A2 Abrams, both were flank attacks. The first one apparently hit the back side of the Abrams, caused no casualties. The second one apparently hit the side of the turret, killed the gunner. It's also been used against Merkava IVs, don't know the results of those. It's also been used against the Challenger 2, hit the bottom glacis, broke through the ERA and got a little perforation; ruined the driver's foot.

Estimates put the Challenger 2's bottom glacis at about 850 mm RHAe. The ERA blocks used are quite hefty, assuming similar performance to Kontakt-5 and assuming the ERA did it's job but failed due to the tandem warhead, indicates that the RPG-29's main charge can go through at least 850 mm of RHAe. Assuming it's performance is similar and it didn't do it's job (like how British newspapers reported), than that's about 1050 mm RHAe of penetration v.s. no ERA for the RPG-29.

So, bottom line is that I've seen a lot of numbers thrown at me, 600 mm from Rosonboronexport, 750 mm from Wikipedia and other sources, and 850 mm from combat performance. Which one is it?

Finally, the RPG-7 weighs 7 kg. It's only 0.95 meters long. The PG-7VR tandem-heat weighs 4.5 kg, so the entire system ready to fire weighs 11.5 kg, significantly lighter and shorter than the RPG-29. It's penetrative abilities are about 700 mm RHAe after ERA. So repeating my original question, what makes the PG-29V so different yet have similar performance estimates as the PG-7VR?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:11 am

The main difference is in the rocket motors.

The RPG-7 has unlimited calibre for the warhead but limited to 40mm for the rocket motor to propel the grenade. This means the RPG-7 can match and even exceed the performance of the 105mm RPG-29.
    For example the RPG-28 has a 125mm warhead and an RPG-7 could fire a rocket warhead of this calibre.
    The 105mm calibre RPG-29 cannot fire a rocket of that calibre.

The advantage the RPG-29 has is that its more powerful motor means it can handle the heavy warheads and has a flatter trajectory and shorter flight times.

With a 105mm tandem warhead the RPG-7 rocket with the designation PG-7VR can hit targets to 200m while the 93mm single warhead PG-7VL rocket has a range of 300m.

The equivelent disposable rocket launcher is the RPG-27 with a 105mm tandem warhead also has a sighting range of 200m.

The RPG-29 firing a tandem 105mm warhead has a sighting range of 500m.
    IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Post  IronsightSniper Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:09 am

So rocket motors explain similar penetration figures disregarding warhead sizes? unshaven
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:51 am

No.

Different rocket motors explain different effective ranges with the same warheads.

On paper the RPG-7 is superior because it has no limit on its warhead size so it can carry larger warheads than the RPG-29.
    Warhead size is a significant factor in warhead penetration.

In practise however the RPG-29 has more than double the effective range of the RPG-7 with the same warhead because it has a larger diameter rocket motor of much greater power that burns out within the launcher.

Getting to 500m from a tank and firing is safer than having to get to 200m.

The RPG-7 is smaller and lighter and probably easier for one man to load and fire. To operate the RPG-29 you need two crew, one to load and one to hold the weapon and fire.
    IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Post  IronsightSniper Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:26 am

That wasn't actually my question. cry

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:14 am