Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+80
kumbor
Hole
dino00
william.boutros
Admin
calripson
Nibiru
predator300029
eehnie
The-thing-next-door
GunshipDemocracy
Walther von Oldenburg
KomissarBojanchev
cap1400
Peŕrier
ZoA
runaway
Cyberspec
flamming_python
GarryB
ATLASCUB
Stealthflanker
Azi
miketheterrible
Kimppis
Yuri
T-47
HM1199
jhelb
Sochi_Olympic_Park
a-andreich
Vann7
Isos
Rmf
kvs
Viktor
JohninMK
George1
AlfaT8
hoom
headshot69
volna
A1RMAN
0nillie0
Mike E
VladimirSahin
Project Canada
KiloGolf
par far
Benya
galicije83
airstrike
xeno
Zivo
zg18
marcellogo
Pincus Shain
chicken
sepheronx
Dima
cracker
DerWolf
medo
TheArmenian
Austin
Mindstorm
max steel
OminousSpudd
higurashihougi
Big_Gazza
BKP
PapaDragon
nemrod
franco
magnumcromagnon
KoTeMoRe
x_54_u43
calm
Werewolf
Cyrus the great
84 posters

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

Cyrus the great

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 Empty Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

Post  Cyrus the great Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:24 am

The turret of the M1A2 apparently weighs 24 metric tons and considering that it's a manned turret, it must be considerably heavier than the turret of the T-14 Armata, so how much does the turret of the T-14 weigh? There is one thing in the Merkava that would be great to have in the Armata -- a 60mm mortar, operated automatically from within.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 Empty Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

Post  Werewolf Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 pm

The T-90A turret weights somewhere at 14t iirc so i would guess the T-14 turret weights less since the current version is only the core without the armor shell which we will see at the end.

Post  Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Cyrus the great wrote:The turret of the M1A2 apparently weighs 24 metric tons and considering that it's a manned turret, it must be considerably heavier than the turret of the T-14 Armata, so how much does the turret of the T-14 weigh? There is one thing in the Merkava that would be great to have in the Armata -- a 60mm mortar, operated automatically from within.

From what i am aware mortar in Mekava is manually operated by loader. And its was though time mostly used to launch illuminating shells or to mark position for "real" artillery. Idea was to use it aganist AT teams at first. I had picture of Merkava mortar on my PC but i cant find it it seems. When i find it ill post it for reference.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:39 pm

Militarov wrote:
    Cyrus the great wrote:The turret of the M1A2 apparently weighs 24 metric tons and considering that it's a manned turret, it must be considerably heavier than the turret of the T-14 Armata, so how much does the turret of the T-14 weigh? There is one thing in the Merkava that would be great to have in the Armata -- a 60mm mortar, operated automatically from within.

From what i am aware mortar in Mekava is manually operated by loader. And its was though time mostly used to launch illuminating shells or to mark position for "real" artillery. Idea was to use it aganist AT teams at first. I had picture of Merkava mortar on my PC but i cant find it it seems. When i find it ill post it for reference.
    Manually operated and à PITA.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:41 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Manually operated and à PITA.

Pain in the ass, i assume?
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Yup.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:17 pm

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 2f4e31d6da805aeacb6b63f773f8bfe0

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 MerkavaIVLoader

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 P1710702

IMO, it looks like another thing to bash your head on when going over rough terrain.

Post  Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Zivo wrote:[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 2f4e31d6da805aeacb6b63f773f8bfe0

Yeah, that is the one i have on my PC.

Well i guess occasionally it can prove to be useful, otherwise Israelis would drop it.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Looks very primitive. I thought it would have been aided by FCS and would be adjusted by coordinates semi/automatic. Seems like lot of time is wasted to aim it to have any effect on target. The AG-30 should have better performance in time/effeciency/accuracy -range against targets since they are already conntected to FCS on BMPT.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:15 am

Werewolf wrote:The T-90A turret weights somewhere at 14t iirc so i would guess the T-14 turret weights less since the current version is only the core without the armor shell which we will see at the end.
    Question Though I do not deny the likelihood of that happening, it is thus-far completely unconfirmed and should be treated as such. It is more likely the core will remain the same and the 'soft' shell may change, possibly allowing for the addition of ERA on the side or something.

Unmanned turrets are said to shave off 5 tons, to there you go; ~9 tons, maybe less.

In other news, Armata has (already!) passed testing; here
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Militarov wrote:

I made the mistake of not expressing myself a little more clearer. I meant to say that (unlike in the Merkava) the capability should be automated. It's one of the few features that I like in the Merkava; I don't like the front engine design, because it greatly increases the thermal signature of the tank or that stupid rear door that makes it far easier to kill the crew from a shot from behind.

The Merkava apparently has every little armor in the front hull and the sides -- the very opposite of this nonsense about the Merkava being the best protected tank in the world.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Mike E wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:The T-90A turret weights somewhere at 14t iirc so i would guess the T-14 turret weights less since the current version is only the core without the armor shell which we will see at the end.
    Question  Though I do not deny the likelihood of that happening, it is thus-far completely unconfirmed and should be treated as such. It is more likely the core will remain the same and the 'soft' shell may change, possibly allowing for the addition of ERA on the side or something.

Unmanned turrets are said to shave off 5 tons, to there you go; ~9 tons, maybe less.

It is quite obvious that there will be an armor shell/applique armor for the shell in both composite aswell ERA type protection for the turret. It will not increase the likelyhood to be hit, since that armor does not have anything behind it with volume of the internal arrangement, it still will have a quite slim profile but will give protection from the safe maneuvering angles and the front does not have lot of projection anyways, since we have to ignore the "RAM" coating/sheet it does not face any projection to the front that would have any effect after penetration with or without armor.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Mike E wrote:
    Question  Though I do not deny the likelihood of that happening, it is thus-far completely unconfirmed and should be treated as such. It is more likely the core will remain the same and the 'soft' shell may change, possibly allowing for the addition of ERA on the side or something.

I absolutely love the versatility of the Armata design. The Armata can accommodate 65 tons -- meaning that it has endless options at its disposal in the ever changing battlefield. I read that the urban warfare kit weighs 5 tons, and so I imagine that its turret roof armour (in this configuration) will eclipse the turret roof protection of the Merkava mk4. In addition to an automatic 60 mm mortar, the inclusion of 23mm autocannons on the side (with a reasonable rate of fire) and 57 mm grenade launchers (in lieu of the 7.62) would increase the effectiveness of the Armata in urban engagements.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Cyrus the great wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

I made the mistake of not expressing myself a little more clearer. I meant to say that (unlike in the Merkava) the capability should be automated. It's one of the few features that I like in the Merkava; I don't like the front engine design, because it greatly increases the thermal signature of the tank or that stupid rear door that makes it far easier to kill the crew from a shot from behind.

The Merkava apparently has every little armor in the front hull and the sides -- the very opposite of this nonsense about the Merkava being the best protected tank in the world.

Merk's have decent armour on the sides, it's just that it doesn't help with the inherent armor gaps that are forced by the engine outlay. The tank's main strength is the APS right now, NOT it passive protection.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for answering that question for me.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:11 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Cyrus the great wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Merk's  have decent armour on the sides, it's just that it doesn't help with the inherent armor gaps that are forced by the engine outlay. The tank's main strength is the APS right now, NOT it passive protection.

I've read that its side armour is not quite up to scratch, but I didn't get that information from reputable sources, so I'll have to scour the internet for more reputable sources. The Israeli Trophy APS has apparently already served the Israelis well in the occupied territories, but the new Afghanit APS should be superior.

Last edited by Cyrus the great on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm

The Merk IV's turret is well armored, but everything else is sketchy.

This is essentially the front lower hull. The fuel tank sits inside of this, and the transmission is right behind the fuel tank.

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 P1010210

Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 pm

Zivo wrote:The Merk IV's turret is well armored, but everything else is sketchy.

This is essentially the front lower hull. The fuel tank sits inside of this, and the transmission is right behind the fuel tank.

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 3 P1010210

Yeah that does look terribly thin.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:05 am

Armata-Based Heavy Infantry Fighting Vehicle to Be Equipped With Drone

The T-15 heavy infantry fighting vehicle will receive a drone as part of its equipment.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The T-15 heavy infantry fighting vehicle based on the Russian Armata tank will be equipped with a drone, Oleg Sienko, the General Director of the Uralvagonzavod corporation which manufactures the tanks, said.

"The use of a drone on the T-15 heavy infantry fighting vehicle is envisioned. This is an indispensable element in the tactical level. It is extremely difficult to move in a convoy without seeing," Sienko told RIA Novosti.

According to the official, the type of drone for use on the T-15 is currently under negotiation.

"This is definitely a question for the Defense Ministry which is testing Russian-made unmanned aerial vehicles," Sienko added.

The Russian Defense Ministry unveiled its new Armata tank at the May 9 Victory Day military parade in Moscow in 2015.

The tank is operated by a crew of three, housed in an armored capsule at the front. Its main armament includes a 125-mm smoothbore cannon and a 7.62-mm remote-control machine gun.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160418/1038197778/armata-drone.html#ixzz46Db1EPAA
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:50 pm

In adition to the T-14 tank, T-15 IFV, 2S35 152mm artillery piece and T-16 BREM-T, it seems that some other variants will be based on the Armata platform:

russian wikipedia traslated wrote:Other machines on the platform [ edit | edit the wiki text ]
    LMC-2 - fighting vehicle flamethrower; [1]
    TOS BM-2 - heavy ognemёtnaya system; [1]
    TRV-2 - Freight loading vehicle heavy flamethrower system [1]
    USM-A1 - mining system; [1]
    IIM-A - a multi-purpose machine engineering; [1]
    UMP-A - minelayer (draft); [1]
    MT-A - launched bridge (project); [1]
    TCP-A - floating conveyor (draft). [1]

This was the primary source for the Russian Wikipedia:

http://vz.ru/society/2013/9/26/652197.html

I see logical the variants of the TOS BM-2 and the rest of the engineering vehicles, but I have some doubt about the LMC-2 and TRV-2. I'm not sure if Im understanding well the purpose of these potential variants and as consequence it is difficult to me to see if are necessary.

Someone knows something else about them?

In adition to all these versions, surely the Armata platform gives room to the development of two new artillery pieces:
    - A variant of 203mm to replace the 2S7
    - A variant of 240mm to replace the 2S4

I would expect them to be developed. It has been some talk about a 120mm mortar version, but I tend to think that this mortar is too small for this platform, I would expect more a 120 mm mortar in the Kurganets platform.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:24 pm

The Russian Defense Ministry has signed a contract with the company "Uralvagonzavod" to supply 100 tank "Armata".
    "We have contracted 100 tanks", - he told reporters the Russian Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov.
    Borisov also noted that the defense department of the country fairly new tank, but "does not force his purchase."
    "We have good modernization potential of the T-72", - he added.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:24 am

Excellent!! Here the page source

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1858996.html
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:10 am

No more second guessing, T-14 confirmed by UVZ to be 3 times cheaper than Abrams which costs around $8.5 million...it (T-14) was original thought to cost something in the ballpark of $3.7 million but it turns out that it's cheaper, like virtually $1 million cheaper at $2.8, also the new gun barrel is 30% more effective than the last version of the 125 mm barrel produced. I think I recall the barrel on T-90MS using a different and older barrel than the T-14. Also, tops speed for T-14 with 1350 HP engine is 80 km/h, but serial engines will be 1500 hp. Also drone T-72 fire-fighting MBT's confirmed. Lastly UVZ has stated their desire to integrate their Armata's with the 57 mm with max range of 16 km (and not the 45 mm):

- Tank T-72B3, which supply the Russian army, in six or seven times cheaper than foreign analogues. T-90 for our army five times cheaper than we sell in foreign markets. "Armata" today is three times cheaper than the "Abrams", "Leopard" or "Leclerc". Exactly three times. Only its capacity is considerably higher. But I will not say how much it will cost otmarketovanny on the world market. At the same time the same T-72 and T-90 in its survivability, combat potential is higher than other countries in the production of tanks, oddly enough. We carried out a lot of tests in different climatic conditions, know the potential of our competitors. We believe that the ratio of "price-quality" we have the most optimal.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvpk.name%2Fnews%2F153808_Oleg_Sienko_Armata_ruchnoi_rabotyi_v_tri_raza_deshevle_Abramsa.html&edit-text=&act=url
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:29 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:No more second guessing, T-14 confirmed by UVZ to be 3 times cheaper than Abrams which costs around $8.5 million...it (T-14) was original thought to cost something in the ballpark of $3.7 million but it turns out that it's cheaper, like virtually $1 million cheaper at $2.8, also the new gun barrel is 30% more effective than the last version of the 125 mm barrel produced. I think I recall the barrel on T-90MS using a different and older barrel than the T-14. Also, tops speed for T-14 with 1350 HP engine is 80 km/h, but serial engines will be 1500 hp. Also drone T-72 fire-fighting MBT's confirmed. Lastly UVZ has stated their desire to integrate their Armata's with the 57 mm with max range of 16 km (and not the 45 mm):

- Tank T-72B3, which supply the Russian army, in six or seven times cheaper than foreign analogues. T-90 for our army five times cheaper than we sell in foreign markets. "Armata" today is three times cheaper than the "Abrams", "Leopard" or "Leclerc". Exactly three times. Only its capacity is considerably higher. But I will not say how much it will cost otmarketovanny on the world market. At the same time the same T-72 and T-90 in its survivability, combat potential is higher than other countries in the production of tanks, oddly enough. We carried out a lot of tests in different climatic conditions, know the potential of our competitors. We believe that the ratio of "price-quality" we have the most optimal.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvpk.name%2Fnews%2F153808_Oleg_Sienko_Armata_ruchnoi_rabotyi_v_tri_raza_deshevle_Abramsa.html&edit-text=&act=url

It will be cheaper, we knew it would be cheaper. It's not new. Whan we need to know is how the tank is going to stand up to the test of time.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:24 am

Just how similar is the armour of the T-15 to the T-14? As I understand it, the T-15 uses the same hull as the T-14 Armata except that it has its engine in the front - which would make it the best protected IFV right now if that's the case. The only way it could be improved is if it had a 60/57 mm hyper-velocity gun and two 23mm autocannons to accompany the Kornet EM missiles.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:22 pm