Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+21
miketheterrible
Isos
Hannibal Barca
nomadski
thegopnik
Walther von Oldenburg
starman
Odin of Ossetia
HUNTER VZLA
magnumcromagnon
Morpheus Eberhardt
GarryB
Cowboy's daughter
Airbornewolf
collegeboy16
kvs
flamming_python
Werewolf
George1
Regular
Sujoy
25 posters

Mysteries and Bizarre Things:

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: Empty Mysteries and Bizarre Things:

Post  Sujoy Sat May 04, 2013 11:51 am

http://video.in.msn.com/watch/video/dead-alien-found-in-russia/1ju6c2l9a
    Regular
    Regular

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: Empty Re: Mysteries and Bizarre Things:

Post  Regular Sat May 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Sujoy wrote:

http://video.in.msn.com/watch/video/dead-alien-found-in-russia/1ju6c2l9a
    Probably landed in bad neighborhood
    George1
    George1

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: Empty Mysteries and Bizarre Things:

Post  George1 Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Remains of Giant Armored Sea Creature Discovered in Morocco

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: 1019386955

The newly-discovered fossilized remains of a giant arthropod species from the Palaeozoic era have shed light on the subsequent evolution of present-day arthropods such as crabs, scorpions and spiders.

The remains of a giant sea creature from a species which dates back 480 million years, measuring more than two meters in length, have been discovered by paleontologists in southeastern Morocco, making it one of the largest arthropods ever identified, and the largest animal on earth at the time it lived.

Peter Van Roy, co-author of a paper in the journal Nature describing the animal, explained that the researchers decided to name the species Aegirocassis benmoulae. The name Aegir is taken from the ruler of the seas in Norse mythology, and reflects "the fact it would have been unassailable by any other creature," while cassis means helmet in Latin; additionally it was named benmoulae after its discoverer, Mohamed Ben Moula.

The creature lived during the almost 45 million year Ordovician Period, best known for its diverse marine invertebrates. During this time period, the area north of the tropics was almost entirely covered by ocean. The fossil fragments were discovered in the Early Ordovician Fezouata Biota north of Zagora, which has become one of the world's most important sources of conserved marine fossils since the first discoveries were made some 12 years ago.

According to the Yale University researchers, studying the fossils sheds light on the early evolution and development of arthropod limbs into the double-branched form characteristic of the legs of modern arthropods, including insects, spiders, centipedes, shrimp, and crayfish.

"Aegirocassis is a truly remarkable looking creature," Yale University paleontologist Derek Briggs, co-author of the Nature paper, told the press. "We were excited to discover that it shows features that have not been observed in older Cambrian anomalocaridids — not one but two sets of swimming flaps along the trunk, representing a stage in the evolution of the two-branched limb, characteristic of modern arthropods such as shrimps."

Despite its imposing size, the researchers say that Aegirocassis benmoulae was a filter feeder rather than a predator, in contrast to almost all other anomalocaridids, the group of arthropods to which the new creature belongs. Instead, it had an intricate filter-feeding apparatus with which it sifted plankton while swimming.

"Giant filter-feeding sharks and whales arose at the time of a major plankton radiation, and Aegirocassis represents a much, much older example of this — apparently overarching — trend," said Van Roy, who explained that the new finding "once and for all resolves the debate on where anomalocaridids belong in the arthropod tree, and clears up one of the most problematic aspects of their anatomy."

Arthropods make up over three-fourths of all currently known living and fossil organisms, with more than one million documented species, and are the most morphologically diverse animal group on Earth. The true number of their species remains unknown; conservative estimates put the number of arthropod species in tropical forests alone at 6 to 9 million species.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/news/20150312/1019385807.html#ixzz3UIGse4R8
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Researchers Find Remains Alleged to be Miguel Cervantes After 352 Years

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: 1019465749

Researchers in Madrid found remains which they believe may have belonged to author Miguel Cervantes and his wife, which have been lost for over 350 years.

Researchers announced on Thursday that they found two skeletons that could belong to the renowned author of "Don Quixote," Miguel Cervantes, and his wife, Catalina de Salazar.

The discovery was made at the Convent of the Barefoot Trinitarians in Madrid, in a crypt which had the initials "MC" inscribed on it. Miguel Cervantes' bones originally went missing in 1673 when the convent was rebuilt.

The find coincides with the 400th anniversary of the publication of the second volume of "Don Quixote."

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/art_living/20150313/1019459987.html#ixzz3UIHXFk8S
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Crazy Friday: Spring Equinox, Solar Eclipse & Supermoon

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: 1019615703

Making for a rare and unique celestial experience, Friday will see the spring equinox coincide with the solar eclipse and the Supermoon.

As swathes of Europe prepare for a spectacular total solar eclipse on March 20th, the day promises to make for an even more unique experience, as two other celestial events will occur – the Supermoon and the spring equinox.

A solar eclipse occurs when the sun and the moon line up, so that the latter becomes obscured by the former. The event is highly anticipated in parts of Europe, particularly in the UK, as the last time the country had seen an eclipse was on August 11, 1999. Sunlight blocked by the moon’s shadow will vary across different places, with parts of the UK expecting 98% coverage, and Faroe Islands expecting a total coverage at 100%.

There are different types of solar eclipses – total, partial, or annular. The upcoming eclipse will be a total solar eclipse, whereby the disk of the sun will be fully obscured by the moon. This is where the Supermoon comes in.

A Supermoon, sometimes referred to as a perigee moon, is when the full or new moon is at its closest point to Earth, making it appear larger than usual. This allows for the total eclipse, as the apparent size of the moon will be large enough to completely obscure the disk of the sun.

There are between three and six Supermoons a year, and they are more common than total eclipses. Three more Supermoons are expected after March 20th, with the next one coming in August.

The third celestial event, the equinox, occurs twice a year when the Earth’s axis is perpendicular to the sun’s rays. On those two days, the day and night will have equal duration, and they fall midway between the longest and shortest days of the year. After the spring equinox, the Earth’s axis tips over, making the days longer in the Northern hemisphere.

While the spring equinox will have no impact on the other two celestial events, it is extremely rare for all three to fall on the same day. The next times the spring equinox is expected to coincide with a solar eclipse will be in 2053 and 2072.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/news/20150317/1019615999.html#ixzz3UgDmMoC2

Odin of Ossetia likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 pm

First attempt at extracting nucleus from mammoth cell for cloning fails

Some scientists believe that extraction of the nucleus from a dead cell is a possibility, but no researcher has succeeded in doing this so far

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: 1086708

YAKUTSK, March 17. /TASS/. The first attempt at extracting the nucleus of an intact dead cell of a mammoth, unearthed in Yakutia, with the aim of cloning the prehistoric animal has failed, the chief of the Sooam Biotech Research Foundation, Dr. Hwang Woo Sul, of South Korea, has told TASS.

"We have identified intact cells in the skin of the Malolyakhov Mammoth, discovered in Yakutia in 2013. But during an attempt to extract the nucleus they were destroyed. Here, in Yakutia we shall take more samples for further research. We shall keep trying to extract the cell’s nuclei with a view to cloning a mammoth," Dr. Hwang said.

Some scientists believe that theoretically the extraction of the nucleus from a dead cell is a possibility, but no researcher has succeeded in doing this so far.

Further research of mammoth cells will be held in cooperation with the Yakutia-based North-Eastern Federal University, where Russia’s first-ever centre for studying the DNAs of mammoth and other fossil species opened on Tuesday.

"The University has all required know-hows and knowledge for further research into mammoth cells," Dr. Hwan said.

The chief of the Museum of the Mammoth at the North Eastern Federal University, Semyon Grigoriev, believes that it may take about three years to extract the nucleus from a mammoth’s cell.

"The research done in South Korea is very important to us. But more complex work is ahead for us. It may last two or three years," he said.

Yakutsk keeps some unique paleontological finds, still to be studied at the just-unveiled centre: the remains of a fossil horse, a pre-historic dog, an ancient bison and its baby. More paleonthololgical expeditions will be arranged for in the near future.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Russian Archeologists Unearth 'White Walls' of Ancient Memphis

The Head of the Russian archeological expedition Galina Belova expressed hope that "other archeological witnesses of this early period of Ancient Egypt’s history dated back to nearly 3200 B.C." will be discovered.

A team of Russian archeologists working in Saqqara near Egypt’s Cairo discovered the remains of the so-called "The White Wall" of the ancient Egyptian capital Memphis. Its Ancient Egyptian name was Inbu-Hedj which is translated as "The White Walls."

According to Egyptian Antiquities Minister Mamdouh al-Damati, the finding of the great historic site was made near the town of Mit Rahina, 20 kilometers south of Cairo and near Saqqara which was the necropolis of Memphis.

In addition to the parts of the wall, well-preserved remains of stoves and bronzes were found.

"We hope this finding will enhance our knowledge of one the most important cities of Ancient Egypt. Memphis played a significant political, religious and economic role in the history of the country. One of its names was Inbu-Hedj, or the White Walls," the minister said.

The Head of the Russian archeological expedition Galina Belova, in her turn, explained that now scientists are finishing excavation on the site and will search for other parts of the wall in the coming days. She also expressed hope that "other archeological witnesses of this early period of Ancient Egypt’s history dated back to nearly 3200 B.C." will be discovered.

Egyptian authorities are taking efforts to maintain free and secure conditions for Russian archeologists on the site. The tourist police and Giza security office have boosted security measures. The administration is helping clear the excavation site of modern constructions.

Memphis holds a special place in the history of Ancient Egypt and is believed to the oldest capital of Egypt. The city was founded more than 5,200 years ago by the pharaoh Menes. Memphis was capital of Egypt during the period of the Old Kingdom. Now it is listed as a world historic heritage site.

Located south of Cairo, Saqqara and Mit Rahina have already delivered several important archeological findings. Among them are the stepped pyramid of Djoser and the famous statue of Ramses. Meanwhile, Egyptian and foreign archeological teams continue their work in the area in a bid to uncover new unique monuments.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/art_living/20150419/1021086415.html#ixzz3XlCO7X7M
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:52 am

Well, weird thing happened month ago.
    I slept longer than I used to and I usually don't dream at all, but I was woken up by a bad dream. It was 10 in the morning. I told my wife that I dreamt of my best friend getting in the car accident and going to jail for that. And we had a laugh and I forgot about it so I went to do my things. After I finished my business I decided to call my friend as it was always him calling me. When I called him his relative answered the phone. Well You can guess the rest. Shit was unreal I even thought my wife told him about the dream and they were pulling a prank so I didn't believe it. But yeah, tried to joke about it and made myself look like a fool. In the mean time the lucky couple was fighting for their life in ER.
    Now even the jail bit is a real thing too.

I had a dream 1 hour after this happened so no I can't see the future and I am shit at guessing lucky numbers.
    I don't believe in weird shit. Retrocasuality confirmed? Very Happy
    Then I never had a dream of my own accident for fuck sake:D
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:52 am

Regular wrote:Well, weird thing happened month ago.
    I slept longer than I used to and I usually don't dream at all, but I was woken up by a bad dream. It was 10 in the morning. I told my wife that I dreamt of my best friend getting in the car accident and going to jail for that. And we had a laugh and I forgot about it so I went to do my things. After I finished my business I decided to call my friend as it was always him calling me. When I called him his relative answered the phone. Well You can guess the rest. Shit was unreal I even thought my wife told him about the dream and they were pulling a prank so I didn't believe it. But yeah, tried to joke about it and made myself look like a fool. In the mean time the lucky couple was fighting for their life in ER.
    Now even the jail bit is a real thing too.

I had a dream 1 hour after this happened so no I can't see the future and I am shit at guessing lucky numbers.
    I don't believe in weird shit. Retrocasuality confirmed? Very Happy
    Then I never had a dream of my own accident for fuck sake:D

You and your wife had a laugh when you told her about your friend going to jail for a car accident in your dream?

Wierd reason to laugh i would say.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:42 am

Well accident in the dream was nothing like it was in reality first of all. No blood, no nothing. But still it woke me up. My wife started to wind me up about me dreaming other men, gay jokes as they annoy the hell out of me and etc. She is the joker in the family, everytime I try to joke it's always ends up inappropriate. Just like I did very same day when my friend was in ER fighting for his life and I was trying to wind up his relative, as I couldn't believe that it really happened. I said ok, when he wakes out of ekhm "coma" ask him if he wants to go to the gym as it closes early on saturday. His relative said something inaudible, hang up and her husband called me 10 minutes later and he explained everything.
    Me and my wife didn't tell anyone about the dream, it doesn't sit well with us as we are atheists and we don't believe in anything paranormal.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:15 am

Regular wrote:Well accident in the dream was nothing like it was in reality first of all. No blood, no nothing. But still it woke me up. My wife started to wind me up about me dreaming other men, gay jokes as they annoy  the hell out of me and etc. She is the joker in the family, everytime I try to joke it's always ends up inappropriate. Just like I did very same day when my friend was in ER fighting for his life and I was trying to wind up his relative, as I couldn't believe that it really happened. I said ok, when he wakes out of ekhm "coma" ask him if he wants to go to the gym as it closes early on saturday. His relative said something inaudible, hang up and her husband called me 10 minutes later and he explained everything.
    Me and my wife didn't tell anyone about the dream, it doesn't sit well with us as we are atheists and we don't believe in anything paranormal.

A bizarre coincidence, nothing more.

If such a premonition happens twice in a row then you'll know you're being screwed by the paranormal though.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:18 am

We think our science knowledge is almost absolute but we don't know jack in many areas. It has always been this way and we laugh at those
    "fools" in the past. One such area is macroscopic quantum mechanical effects. There is this facile assumption that at scales bigger than
    the De Broglie wavelength we are in the deterministic classical limit. Yet there is such a thing as quantum entanglement and it does not
    care about the De Broglie wavelength and in fact can act at arbitrary distances. In my view, you can call me a loon, whatever, quantum
    entanglement affects people's brains. But it does not give them telepathy or any other systematic "ability". So I think your dream
    is not random noise but sporadic remote information transfer due to a quantum mechanical effect. As I said, we do not understand
    the physics to be able to test this in a lab in any rational way. The effect could be modulated by processes between the two
    entangling systems. Sort of like being able to hear remote radio stations under certain weather conditions. So getting some volunteers
    to "communicate" this way in some study could produce 100% negative results, which would be useless results because all the variables
    are not being considered.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:32 am

maybe Regular is a descendant of Yuri? What a Face
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:00 am

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: Uri-geller

This Uri?
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Another little detail is that this information exchange occurs during sleep. This is when the conscious brain is off and
    neural network noise is the dominant state of activity. Weak signals would be most likely to be "detected" at this stage
    since the conscious brain activity would bury them completely. Dreams appear to be noise induced but at the same
    time reflect the preoccupations of the individual (including subconscious ones).

Our consciousness is a quantum mechanical phenomenon and not clockwork deterministic function. People should not fob off
    bizarre experiences as being due to "simple explanations". Occam's razor is an abused ansatz. Sometimes complexity is
    important and you can't even apply this ansatz if you do not know which processes are involved. Invoking Occam's razor has become
    like belief that "the truth is somewhere in between". Yeah, calling someone a pedophile implies that the accusation is partly
    right regardless of the facts.
    Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:31 pm

or another incident, JAL flight 1628. an Japan 747 being followed by an UFO and reporting it to ATC. ATC subsequently informs the U.S airforce that at first cant see it. and the contact with JAL 1628 gets distorted. JAL 1628 describes the object "the size of 4 carriers".

ATC contacts the airforce, but they confirm back to the ATC they have no millitary aircraft up there nor register anything on Radar.

JAL 1628 requests an flight correction to get away from the object.

ATC orders JAL 1628 to turn 360 degrees, and authorises any evasive manouvres and deviations deemed necessary to evade.

as JAL 1628 deviates and begins to turn, Airforce Radar in Alaska pick up the UFO following JAL 1628 and code it "flight size 2". contacting ATC that they have spotted another radar contact, that JAL 1628 is being followed "flight size 2" meaning "possible hostile intent". ATC requests jet fighters to be scrambled to intercept but eventually never where.

JAL 1628 made it safely to its destination.

i looked it up and found an partial recording of the incident between ATC, Airforce and JAL 1628. its the first part in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHsbGnAuJM

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:43 am

Vegan T.Rex: Scientists Discover Weird 'Platypus' Dinosaur in Chile

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: 1021463395
    Right jaw and teeth of the Chilesaurus diegosuarezi is shown in this undated handout photo provided by the University of Birmingham in Birmingham, Alabama on April 27, 2015

Paleontologists from the University of Birmingham and other institutions have discovered a so-called "platypus" dinosaur in Chile.

The so-called "platypus" dinosaur was discovered in Chile by paleontologists from the University of Birmingham and other institutions, who dubbed it Chilesaurus diegosuarezi, according to the findings they published in the journal Nature.

Despite the fact that Chilesaurus was closely related to the notorious carnivore Tyrannosaurus rex, scientists believe that the "platypus" dinosaur could have grazed on plants.

"Chilesaurus can be considered a 'platypus' dinosaur because different parts of its body resemble those of other dinosaur groups due to mosaic convergent evolution," Martín Ezcurra of the University of Birmingham explained.

Chilesaurus is thought to have had a proportionally small skull and hands with two fingers like Tyrannosaurus rex; at the same time, it had feet that were more like those of primitive long-neck dinosaurs.

According to paleontologists, the "platypus" dinosaur was on average the size of a turkey, but some isolated bones indicate that the maximum size of Chilesaurus was about three meters long.

Martín Ezcurra, for his part, stressed the importance of the discovery.

"Chilesaurus shows how much data is still completely unknown about the early diversification of major dinosaur groups. This study will force paleontologists to take more care in the future in the identification of fragmentary or isolated dinosaur bones. It comes as false relationship; evidence may arise because of cases of convergent evolution, such as that present in Chilesaurus," he said.

Chilesaurus diegosuarezi was named after a seven-year-old Chilean boy, Diego Suárez, who discovered the dinosaur fossil at the Toqui Formation in Aysén, south of Chilean Patagonia.

The boy was reportedly with his geologist parents, who were exploring rocks in order to shed more light on the formation of the Andes mountain range.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/art_living/20150428/1021463425.html#ixzz3YaiwhgY7
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Tue May 12, 2015 6:35 am

One mystery in America is Bigfoot, or Sasquatch, believed in and known by different names by American Indians. Some say he is harmful, others say he comes to their aid. They have a name for him, which I can't remember tonight, maybe "big brother", or "elder brother", no, something else....when they want to talk about him, but not call him by name, and usually won't talk about him after dark. "Uncle Harry", I think...is the name used.

Some (American Indians) say, if they see him, it's like a protection, or a warning. (My memory is sketchy.)
    One of my cousins said she and another cousin saw one cross a road in front of their car headlights, way back in the 1950's, in the area of Texas where I grew up. Which even today is a mostly unpopulated County. It's a land area of about 914.29 square miles with about only 3,000 persons in the entire County.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue May 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Cowboy's daughter wrote:One mystery in America is Bigfoot, or Sasquatch, believed in and known by different names by American Indians. Some say he is harmful, others say he comes to their aid. They have a name for him, which I can't remember tonight, maybe "big brother", or "elder brother", no, something else....when they want to talk about him, but not call him by name, and usually won't talk about him after dark. "Uncle Harry", I think...is the name used.

Some (American Indians) say, if they see him, it's like a protection, or a warning. (My memory is sketchy.)
    One of my cousins said she and another cousin saw one cross a road in front of their car headlights, way back in the 1950's, in the area of Texas where I grew up. Which even today is a mostly unpopulated County. It's a land area of about 914.29 square miles with about only 3,000 persons in the entire County.

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue May 12, 2015 3:58 pm

El chupacabra?
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Tue May 12, 2015 4:06 pm

women... how do they work?
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:women... how do they work?

A guy I used to know would say: "To understand women, you have to be one!" Very Happy
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue May 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Cowboy's daughter wrote:
    collegeboy16 wrote:women... how do they work?

A guy I used to know would say: "To understand women, you have to be one!" Very Happy

Looking at the b*tch fights between women one could come to the conclusion that women do not understand each other either.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon May 18, 2015 11:28 pm

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Russia to send expeditions to mysterious Yamal hole in summer

Mysteries and Bizarre Things: 1093689

The opening, some 60 metres in diametre and at least 200 metres deep, was first spotted by helicopter pilots in July 2014, close to the Bovanenkovo oil field

YEKATERINBURG, May 18. /TASS/. Russian scientists will carry out complex research this summer to explore a giant hole in permafrost discovered last year on the Yamal peninsula of northwest Siberia, Arctic Exploration Centre head Vladimir Pushkarev said on Monday.

"Several groups of scientists are planning a series of expeditions to the huge Yamal hole," Pushkarev told TASS, adding that the missions would take place in July, August and September.

Most samples taken from the bottom of the hole last year have already been studied. "The version that the hole has a natural origin is currently a priority," Pushkarev said.

The opening, some 60 metres in diametre and at least 200 metres deep, was first spotted by helicopter pilots in July 2014, close to the Bovanenkovo oil field. Explanations of the crater's origin range from meteorites to aliens.

But Academician Valery Melnikov told TASS in November that the hole appeared due to climate change and subsequent release of sub-surface gas trapped in the permafrost.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:48 am