Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+21
miketheterrible
Isos
Pinto
type055
George1
magnumcromagnon
collegeboy16
GJ Flanker
Viktor
Sujoy
Arrow
GarryB
TR1
Cyberspec
ricky123
Raghu Reddy
nightcrawler
Austin
rkt86
Russian Patriot
Admin
25 posters

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces

Sujoy
    Sujoy

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Empty Re: BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces

Post  Sujoy Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 am

TR1 wrote:What was the launch platform?

BRAHMOS did not mention the type of platform but stated that it was a launched from a submerged, stabilised and stationary platform

TR1 wrote:And what in the Indian navy is going to be used as the platform?

P75 (I) of Indian Navy

TR1 wrote:"This is the first test-firing of an underwater supersonic cruise missile anywhere in the world and the missile travelled its complete range of over 290km, he said."

Cough nope cough Very Happy

The important part has been left out .
    For the first time a supersonic missile was launched VERTICALLY from a submerged, stabilised and stationary platform

So what exactly is the salient feature of a vertical launch ?

When a cruise missile is vertically installed in vertical cannisters within the pressure-hull of a nuclear-powered SSGN, the cruises missile ( in this case BrahMos-1) increases the ‘offensive power’ of the SSGN without compromising on the SSGN’s ‘defensive power’ as the torpedo tubes can be fully utilised for engaging in undersea warfare while operating in the self-seeking hunter-killer mode.
    TR1
    TR1

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Empty Re: BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces

Post  TR1 Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 am

How is that different from the multitude of Soviet subs that had vertically launched supersonic anti ship missiles?

Scorpene is a pretty small sub, is the modified Indian variant going to be much bigger? Brahmos capability is impressive on such a hull, what is the number of tubes they are looking at?
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:11 am

TR1 wrote:How is that different from the multitude of Soviet subs that had vertically launched supersonic anti ship missiles?

The missile, BRAHMOS 1 was NOT launched from a submarine but a platform that was stabilized artificially . Having a stabilized platform launch a missile vertically is not something that has been achieved before , according to the BRAHMOS press release.

http://www.brahmos.com/newscenter.php?newsid=166

The same platform that was used for test-firing the B-O5/K-15 SLBM on January this year.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 am

Oh in that sense, it maybe true. I don't know of any SOviet AShM testing was from stationary platforms or all subs .
    But its not really much of an achievement is it? Testing from an actual sub is far more indicative of ready for use.

I think it was just them trying to put spin and hype on the launch Very Happy

Any info on number of 75I tubes?
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 pm

TR1 wrote:Any info on number of 75I tubes?

The submarines that will come from off the shelf purchase will have 6 tubes. This design will have to be modified to accommodate the eight VL-tubes for BrahMos—a process that will take at least three years at the very least .

Also , it needs to be pointed out that the the S-2 (Arihant), S-3 & S-4 nuclear-powered submarines will also cary the BRAHMOS 1 , since these vessels have been designed from the outset by Russia to carry such vertically-launched missiles in customised launch-silos
    GarryB
    GarryB

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Empty India test-fires submarine-launched version of BrahMos missile

Post  GarryB Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:06 am

Oh in that sense, it maybe true. I don't know of any SOviet AShM testing was from stationary platforms or all subs .
    But its not really much of an achievement is it? Testing from an actual sub is far more indicative of ready for use.

I think it was just them trying to put spin and hype on the launch Very Happy

Hahahaha... a bit like KBP saying that photos of early test launches of the Kornet-EM from a Tigr vehicle were the first launches of a supersonic guided anti tank missile from a Tigr.... sounds significant till you think about it.

Lots of navies use test platforms for very early testing without risking an expensive submarine... or without having to take a sub from active service to perform a very early test of a missile.

Regarding early supersonic antiship missiles launched from subs... Charlie, Oscar, Papa... let alone hypersonic ballistic missiles Hotel, Golf...
    Austin

Post  Austin Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Brahmos-2 is Hypersonic Resuable Missile

India to have Sudarshan Chakra-like missile soon

According to the Hindu scriptures, Sudarshan Chakra is the ultimate weapon of Lord Vishnu used for the destruction of enemy. The best part is it comes back to its original place after destructing the target.

The myth will now be reality.

In next few years, India will have its own Sudarshan Chakra-like deadly hypersonic potent missile.

BrahMos Aerospace India Ltd (BAIL) is currently working on BrahMos II programme where scientists have taken inspiration from Lord Vishnu's weapon. Going at a speed of Mach 7, the missile would deliver the warhead, assess the destruction of target, come back and get ready to go again.

Talking to Headlines Today, Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and MD for BAIL, said, "It is our dream to make the best weapon. Our mythology has given us a lot of inputs. Out of all gods, only one weapon is moving and is ready to go in nanoseconds at the command of mind. It destroys the enemy and comes back, and that is Sudarshan Chakra."

Dr Pillai, considered to be the father of the world's fastest supersonic BrahMos cruise missile project, adds, "We have established a lead in supersonic missile. Definitely our country and its scientific community are capable of developing a hypersonic missile which is reusable. With technology changing every day and a sort of information war beginning in the world, there is a possibility of mind operating machines. Hypersonic vehicles with multi-use will reduce the cost putting payload in the orbit. It could deliver the payload at multiple points and it can come back. That is what we have thought of as our own version of Sudarshan Chakra."

According to Dr Pillai, India will get this hypersonic missile in the next 5-7 years. At present, BAIL is working on the air-to-air missile, which should get ready by the end of 2014.

Dr Pillai's ultimate dream is to establish a military industry complex which can provide all the weapons in the country. "We could be a self-reliant country in missile technology, but for that we need industry support," he said.

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/sudarshan-chakra-brahmos-aerospace-india-ltd-bail-air-to-air-missile/1/325940.html
    Austin

Post  Austin Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:17 pm

To those who do not know what Sudarshan Chakra is , It was a weapon used by Hindu God Krishna.

Just putting up a video of Sudarshan Chakra

https://youtu.be/w4MGb8ISVEI?t=2m57s
    Arrow

Post  Arrow Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:39 pm

What about Russian hypersonic Zircona missile ?
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Empty Integration Complete - SU 30 MKI with BRAHMOS

Post  Sujoy Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:45 am

Integration Complete - SU 30 MKI with BRAHMOS

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Su_30m10
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:30 pm

BRAHMOS-M specifications  russia 

TTX missiles :
    Length - 6 m
    Diameter - 0.5 m
    Warhead weight - 200-300 kg
    Range - 290 km
    Cruising speed - 3.5 M
    Recording : - Su-30MKI - 3 missiles
    FGFA and MiG-29KUB - 2 missiles
    Sources : Layout of the new missile BrahMos will show for the first time at an arms fair DEFEXPO-2014 in India. 2014 ( source )

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 30aw7c8

LINK
    GJ Flanker
    GJ Flanker

Post  GJ Flanker Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Shorter, weights much less but has even better performances (M3,5 speed).
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 am

I see a d!ck joke in there...
    Maybe with supercruising the rocket section can be removed, a Brahmos-M special for super 30 or FGFA perhaps
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Empty BRAHMOS-M india

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:32 am

collegeboy16 wrote:I see a d!ck joke in there...
    Maybe with supercruising the rocket section can be removed, a Brahmos-M special for super 30 or FGFA perhaps

Deep penetration, with an expanding rod whore-head...I see nothing sexual about that. unshavenyes sir
    Austin

Post  Austin Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:16 am

New Brahmos Chief Sudhir Kumar Mishra two part interview
    Part-1 Part-2

Hypersonic missiles are the future for India and Russia – new BrahMos Chief

BrahMos Aerospace has already signed an MoU with the Moscow Aviation Institute on the development of hypersonic missiles There is need to sign some more agreements between India and Russia, isn't it? Can you elaborate on this?

Both India and Russia have successfully demonstrated that if they work together they can create systems unparalleled in the world such as the BrahMos. DRDO in India is working on the hypersonic field and Russia is also working on it.

We want to bring number of institutions from India and Russia together to realize the best possible configuration. As you rightly mentioned we have signed a MoU with MAI through our JV partners NPO Mashinostroyenia for initiating necessary actions. They are getting the required approvals from the government to start the work.

Similarly we are working with DRDO and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in this field. Once all the permissions are received from both the governments, we will initiate this project. Right now, hypersonic is an evolving technology and it is the future for both the countries. I believe that we will be able to develop the missile as per our Vision 2050, maybe within 6 to 10 years.

Are there any expectations how much time it can take to get all these approvals?

It can take from 4 to 10 months.

BrahMos Aerospace promised that the BrahMos-A missile for SU-30MKI would be ready for induction by 2016? Are these plans still on?

Yes, I confirm that by this year end, we would conduct the first flight test of BrahMos-A with SU-30MKI and we will start deliveries in 2016 to the Indian Air Force. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Bangalore and Sukhoi Design Bureau (SDB) with Indian Air Force are working very intensively to ensure that the missile flight test can be carried out by the year end and I am going personally this month to review the situation together with Chairman, HAL.

When is India planning to achieve 100 percent localization of BrahMos missile production?

As of now, we believe that it is a joint development programme. So the joint production also should take place in both the countries and we do not talk about percentage to develop the local production but the objective is to develop capacity building. The requirement, the demand is very high for BrahMos and right now, the objective is to deliver the missile in time to the users and if we do not deliver, then there is a problem. So we are trying to ensure the proportion, the agreed joint production ratio between India and Russia and make the delivery schedule. This is the first priority and only priority.

What we want is that 100 percent of the missile should be manufactured in India and 100 percent to be manufactured in Russia so that when big amount of deliveries are to be made, both the places can deliver but the capabilities should be available both in India and in Russia on 100 percent delivery basis.

And secondly, now there is an export potential for BrahMos. The government of India has declared that we would like to export our weapon system and India and Russia both have agreed that we will export the missile to mutually agreed countries we will identify together. So that would happen. When that happens, then there will be more demand for capacity building in both the countries, Russia as well as India. So we develop 100 percent capability, in Russia, you already have a 100 percent capability so that we can meet our commitments.

It takes some time. I have taken over only recently. I would like to study and then give answer exactly.

You mentioned the export potential of the BrahMos missiles. When are you planning to start exporting them?

First of all as per the IGA the missile can be exported to friendly countries of India and Russia. We have jointly worked out the list of countries. Export will be taken up on case to case basis with both the Indian and Russian governments for approval.

Secondly, the interest of India and Russia should not be affected in any way and thirdly, it should be only for defensive purpose, not for offensive purpose. So these are the basic fundamentals and we are talking to each other to ensure that export takes place but export is a very long process. So we are onto the process.

What do you think about the possibility of replicating the BrahMos Aerospace JV model in other areas between India and Russia?

First, I would like to convey to you that when I land in Moscow Airport, I feel that I have come to my second home. I have lived there for four years and I must have visited more than 20 times after that. I love the country, people and their culture and when it comes to successful joint venture, then I want to tell you that BrahMos is “THE” only joint venture in the defence sector anywhere in the world which enjoys this much success. This is because of the technology strength of both the countries, trust which we have posed in each other, confidence and our track record of meeting our commitment and commitment of delivery, meeting the dates and I feel that this joint venture has a great future. Many countries, they talk, they want to replicate BrahMos but you cannot copy the template. You can follow it up to a certain extent but the true spirit between India and Russia, it can exist only between Indians and Russians. It does not exist between any other country in the world.

Russia is going to participate in Project-75 India (P-75 I) tender, which entails the acquisition of another six submarines for the Indian Navy? Russian submarine will come along with BrahMos missiles installed. When do you expect this competition to happen? 

We have demonstrated the capability of BrahMos by launching from a pontoon. Users have observed it, they have taken note of this and I am sure the kind of confidence users have shown in our other products, they would show in the submarine launch as well. Apart from this, we are going to develop the BrahMos-Mini as well. So BrahMos-Mini can be launched from a torpedo tube. We are planning, we are designing to do it from the torpedo tube. So it can be used there also as a standard weapon in all kind of submarines and users have to make up their mind what kind of weapon system they are looking for and we are telling the users that this is the weapon on the table, kindly have it. So RFP is not yet released. Let us wait and see.

Did you get the approval for this BrahMos-M (mini) development?

Not yet. It is under process.

When do you expect to get it?

I wanted it yesterday and I am chasing it to make it happen. I am sure DRDO has complete trust in this project and I bring that spirit from DRDO to BrahMos. So I am sure it would happen soon and you see it is science and technology. So it is very difficult to predict the duration, the time but I always feel that, I am very bullish about it, very optimistic, it should happen at the earliest and that is going to be my priority.

How much time would it take to develop this missile?

It should not take more than three years. The basic missile would be same and it would be adopted to meet the requirement of the services but the basic model, the basic financial managerial model which exists between India and Russia would be same, we would work on the same proportion. We would hold hand of each other in a similar way. It will be universal missile for Army, Air Force, Navy. It can be adopted to meet any requirement.

You need to sign some more documents with Russia for BrahMos-M also, don't you?

We would once finalised will have a Tripartite agreement between DRDO, NPOM and BrahMos. It would be like a wish to work together, a basic agreement, which will suggest three organisations are ready to start developing this missile. We hope to sign it by the year end.

What is this time needed for?

The reason is we are doing a feasibility study. We are studying whether the specifications are right or not, what all can be done, what we can do, what Russians can do. So before any big project, we need to sit and talk. So we are sitting and talking. We are evaluating the scientific parameters of various subsystems. It takes time.

Now there are many Indian tourists who are coming to Russia. What was the most interesting part of Russia for you?

For a tourist to come to Russia is its natural beauty and I pray that Russians will preserve it the way they have been preserving it, number one. Number two, the museums and church cathedrals in Petersburg, canals in Petersburg are very beautiful. Third, you have got all the resources in abundance. You have almost everything, sunshine, snow and for a tourist going from India Baikal Lake is the ultimate beauty. More than that, you see India and Russia have almost more than 70 years of relationship and the image in the minds of Indian people is that Russians are our true friends. So when they go if they go to Moscow, if they go to different places, they feel at home that yes, we are in the friend's home, nothing to fear about it.

You are new BrahMos chief now? Any missile dreams?

Yes, you see I worked in Hyderabad where the technology development for BrahMos has been done. I have been a member of the technical teams who have developed the technology for BrahMos from DRDO side and then I worked as a Programme Manager in the BrahMos project in DRDO. Then I visited Russia and there, I have conducted the visit of then-Indian President Dr. Abdul Kalam to Moscow, taken him to NPO Mash and conducted the visit of Defence Minister of India again to NPO Mash.

This feeling, this attachment, it created some kind of dream in the mind that it would be ultimate happiness, it would be ultimate professional dream to lead such a high technology programme in the world and for a mechanical engineer like me, nothing can be better than leading a team of experts who are world class, who are best in their profession who know how to deliver, how to meet user’s aspirations, it is a dream come true. I have witnessed the commitment, the courage, the endeavours of Indian specialists and Russian specialists, both. It gives me great satisfaction of being their leader and take BrahMos to a step up. More business, more technological challenges, early delivery, find a better way of doing the supply chain management. This itself is a lot of work.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:07 pm

What about Russian hypersonic Zircona missile ?

Zircon is a Russian equivalent like Onyx is the Russian equivalent of Yakhont.

The main difference is that Brahmos is based on Yakhont, while Brahmos II and Zirconium are being developed at the same time.

The other obvious difference of course is that Zircon (short for Zirconium) will not be restricted to 300km range and less than 500kg payload.
    George1
    George1

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Empty BrahMos Cruise Missile: News

Post  George1 Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:12 am

Enemies Stand Helpless Against BrahMos Missile - BrahMos Aerospace Chief

MOSCOW, August 20 (RIA Novosti) - A supersonic cruise missile BrahMos, developed jointly by Russia and India, leaves any enemy helpless as no effective protection against the BrahMos has been created so far, Sudhir Mishra, the new head of the BrahMos Aerospace Corporation told Rossiya Segodnya International Information Agency.

“Supersonic speed is the BrahMos’ major advantage. An enemy has yet no effective protection against such missiles. After the missile is launched, all the enemy can do is run. In fact, he has even no time to escape. That is why this is a very promising weapon. And it has no alternatives in the world so far,” Mishra said in an interview Tuesday adding that “even if any other country succeeds one day in creating missiles with similar characteristics, we will be a way ahead already.”

The BrahMos Aerospace chief said also that a number of countries are currently interested in the project, which may pave the way for the BrahMos’ exports in the future.

“It will be possible to export the BrahMos only to friendly nations, determined by the governments of India and Russia. Currently, many states are interested in our missiles. As soon as our governments decide on where to export we will be ready for deliveries,” Mishra stressed.

The Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace was founded in 1998 by the Indian Defense Research and Development Organization and Russian rocket design bureau of Machine Building. The venture was named after two rivers, the Brahmaputra in India and Russia’s Moskva.

The BrahMos missile has a range of 290 kilometers (180 miles) and can carry a conventional warhead of up to 300 kilograms (660 pounds). It can effectively engage targets from an altitude as low as 10 meters (30 feet) and has a top speed of Mach 2.8, which is about three times faster than the US-made subsonic Tomahawk cruise missile.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:35 pm

BrahMos Mini planned for Navy, Air Force

A new, lighter version of the supersonic cruise missile BrahMos called BrahMos-M (Mini) weighing around 1.5 tonnes is being planned for use by the Navy and the Air Force. “BrahMos Aerospace is currently getting the user requirements to finalise the configuration,” said Sudhir Mishra, CEO and MD of BrahMos Corporation (BA).

Once inducted into the Navy, the Mini can be launched from submarines torpedo tubes. For the Air Force a mini version means a Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile compatible with future platforms namely, the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) and Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA).

When questioned about test firing the air launched variant from a modified Su-30MKI aircraft, Mr. Mishra told The Hindu that work was progressing to complete the test firing by April-May 2015.

The submarine variant which was test fired from a submerged pontoon was a technology demonstration to the Indian Navy. Further, developmental trials will happen only when the Navy evinces an interest which they haven’t yet, partly due to non-availability of platforms.
    Austin

Post  Austin Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Focussed on Future ( Force November 2014 )
    http://forceindia.net/FocussedonFuture.aspx

BrahMos’ new CEO is gung-ho about the BRAHMOS supersonic cruise missile

By Pravin Sawhney

The future of the BRAHMOS supersonic cruise missile — a successful Joint Venture (JV) between India and Russia — is assured. This was the gist of my conversation with the new BrahMos CEO, Sudhir Mishra who spoke passionately about BRAHMOS-M (Mini) and the hypersonic BRAHMOS. What made his revelations distinctive were the unusual candidness — a rarity in the scientific community — and the clear vision of the roadmap ahead. “While plenty of work has been done on BRAHMOS-M and we are in touch with the user (Indian Navy and Indian Air Force), the project is on the drawing board awaiting government clearance,” said Mishra. The hypersonic BRAHMOS, he reflected, “is on the drawing and mind board.”

BRAHMOS is India’s only indigenous weapon system which has been accepted willingly by the three defence services, and has stuck to time-lines. BrahMos was an accidental venture as a consequence of the sudden demise of the Soviet Union in 1990 followed by the 1991 Gulf War which catapulted the Tomahawk cruise missile to an iconic status. On the one hand, Russia, as the Soviet inheritor state, was hard-pressed for cash and on the verge of closing down its’ flight-tested cruise missile programme. On the other hand, the Defence Research and Development Programme (DRDO), having gained capabilities from the indigenous 1982 integrated guided missile programme, and struck by the Tomahawk success was eager to start work on cruise missiles.

The breakthrough for both came with the setting-up of the BrahMos Aerospace on 12 February 1998 located in New Delhi. In a novel concept, BrahMos became a government-owned private company with equal partnership and operational control with a share percentage of 50.5 for the DRDO and 49.5 for the Russian NPOM company. The propulsion system (engine) and airframe came from Russia, while the guidance and onboard electronic module came from the DRDO’s guided missile programme. Originally meant to be an anti-ship missile, BrahMos is today a successful land-attack-cruise-missile (LACM), and a step away from the air version.

How far a cruise missile will go depends on its engine; the simpler turbojet which travels short distances or the complex turbofan which can carry payloads up to thousands of kilometers. BRAHMOS is one of its kind which uses a combination of booster and liquid-fuelled ramjet engine which gives it super-sonic speed (more than the speed of sound described as Mach One). This leads to its other advantage. With more speed than other cruise missiles, BRAHMOS reduces the target into smithereens with its high kinetic energy impact. BRAHMOS can carry 300kg payload at 290km (under 300km as per MTCR limit) with a speed of 2.8 Mach.

At present, BrahMos is mounted on number of surface ships comprising Rajput class destroyers, Talwar class frigates and recently on the 15A class destroyers of the Indian Navy. Also, in the pipeline are the new ships under construction of project 17 & 17A. Being big, BRAHMOS cannot be fitted in the torpedo tubes of submarines. Regarding the army, two regiments with four launchers each have been raised with BRAHMOS Block-II LACM, while the third regiment with Block-III missiles is being delivered. This will be followed by another two regiments with Block-III capability.

For guidance throughout the flight, BRAHMOS uses a combination of G3, namely, US’ GPS, India’s Gagan and Russian Glonass systems for accuracy. It has a radar seeker which scans the area in front to find the target and then homes-in with Radio Frequency mono-pulse capability. Block-II version, developed for the army, has an improved seeker with target discrimination capability, and Block-III version has steep-dive capability to hit vertically those targets hidden behind mountains.

With such accomplishments, what is in the pipeline and in the future? “We will carry out flight-testing with full combat configuration on Su-30MKI aircraft in March 2015 to validate the BrahMos air version,” says Mishra. Giving details, he said that BrahMos had initially approached the Sukhoi design bureau for integration of BrahMos onto the Su-30 belly. As they asked for astronomical amount, we considered Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), which at that time had no experience with this kind of work. Since then, a lot has been done by HAL in close cooperation with CEMALAC, DRDO labs, like DARE CABS and CSIR lab NAL.

Listing two milestones, Mishra said that, “Ground vibration tests on the aircraft with fully loaded weapons configuration have been done successfully by HAL, Nasik. Then, the separation test, which is meant to ascertain the behaviour of the aircraft in terms of its mechanical, electrical and aerodynamics systems after it has released the 2.9 tonne BRAHMOS missile has undergone successful wind tunnel test at NAL.” Once the final flight test is done, two Su-30 aircraft will be flight tested by ASTE, Bangalore (user) as the precursor to several dozens of aircraft being armed with the BRAHMOS missile. But, “we have to remember that the present BRAHMOS is the Nineties technology which will get dated in 10-15 years,” he adds.

So enter, BRAHMOS-M. “BRAHMOS-M will be a new design. A compact engine with better energy propellant which will not compromise on 300 km range; lighter weight with less diameter; speed of 3.3 Mach; and better packaging and routing of pipes with computer aided design and latest electronics.” To ascertain the feasibility of BRAHMOS-M, three steps have been initiated. One, HAL has done some preliminary studies. Two, DRDO has conducted design studies which will be shared with Russian NPOM partner. And three, Russia is willing to develop the new propulsion system keeping BrahMos aerospace in the loop. This is not all.

“The seeker for BRAHMOS-M will have sufficient redundancies to include anti-radiation, Radio Frequency and Imaging Infra-Red capabilities. The guidance in addition to the present G3 combination will also come from indigenous satellite navigation constellation — IRNSS — which will have a total of seven satellites of which three have been placed in space.”

The BRAHMOS-M with a weight of 1.4 tonne for the air force version and 1.6 tonne for the navy version will be a breakthrough. “We expect five BRAHMOS-M to be carried by Su-30 (two each on the wings and one on the belly), and two each missile with the Mig-29K and the fifth generation fighter aircraft being co-developed with Russia.” Moreover, in addition to the steep-dive capability with Block-III LACM, there will be Block–IV LACM with a “surround capability, to hit hidden targets laterally from the side of mountains.” BrahMos’s own research team at Hyderabad is already working on Block-IV LACM. Thus, “BRAHMOS-M is ready to be moved from the drawing board to real work once the government gives the green light.”

To stay ahead into this century, BrahMos envisages a hypersonic engine to replace the present supersonic. “It is envisaged to provide speed of Mach 5. It will follow different aerodynamic laws; and have different propulsion, materials, electronics, data links and suppliers,” says Mishra adding that, “We (BrahMos and DRDO) are already working on the engine and hope to test it in five years.”

What about exports, was the parting question. Sudhir Mishra replied with confidence: “India and Russia as equal partners have cleared six to seven friendly countries for BrahMos exports. It is up to the Modi government to take the call. BrahMos Aero

space is ready to deliver.”
    Austin

Post  Austin Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:33 am

http://forceindia.net/FocussedonFuture.aspx

BrahMos’ new CEO is gung-ho about the BRAHMOS supersonic cruise missile

Post excerpts from the article

So enter, BRAHMOS-M. “BRAHMOS-M will be a new design. A compact engine with better energy propellant which will not compromise on 300 km range; lighter weight with less diameter; speed of 3.3 Mach; and better packaging and routing of pipes with computer aided design and latest electronics.” To ascertain the feasibility of BRAHMOS-M, three steps have been initiated. One, HAL has done some preliminary studies. Two, DRDO has conducted design studies which will be shared with Russian NPOM partner. And three, Russia is willing to develop the new propulsion system keeping BrahMos aerospace in the loop. This is not all.

“The seeker for BRAHMOS-M will have sufficient redundancies to include anti-radiation, Radio Frequency and Imaging Infra-Red capabilities. The guidance in addition to the present G3 combination will also come from indigenous satellite navigation constellation — IRNSS — which will have a total of seven satellites of which three have been placed in space.”

The BRAHMOS-M with a weight of 1.4 tonne for the air force version and 1.6 tonne for the navy version will be a breakthrough. “We expect five BRAHMOS-M to be carried by Su-30 (two each on the wings and one on the belly), and two each missile with the Mig-29K and the fifth generation fighter aircraft being co-developed with Russia.” Moreover, in addition to the steep-dive capability with Block-III LACM, there will be Block–IV LACM with a “surround capability, to hit hidden targets laterally from the side of mountains.” BrahMos’s own research team at Hyderabad is already working on Block-IV LACM. Thus, “BRAHMOS-M is ready to be moved from the drawing board to real work once the government gives the green light.”

To stay ahead into this century, BrahMos envisages a hypersonic engine to replace the present supersonic. “It is envisaged to provide speed of Mach 5. It will follow different aerodynamic laws; and have different propulsion, materials, electronics, data links and suppliers,” says Mishra adding that, “We (BrahMos and DRDO) are already working on the engine and hope to test it in five years.”

What about exports, was the parting question. Sudhir Mishra replied with confidence: “India and Russia as equal partners have cleared six to seven friendly countries for BrahMos exports. It is up to the Modi government to take the call. BrahMos Aero
    GarryB
    GarryB

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 Empty Focussed on Future ( Force November 2014 )

Post  GarryB Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:43 am

Ironically the SS-N-2 was the first Soviet anti ship missile with IR and radar guidance in one missile, though their export models had one or the other guidance method.

The IR guidance option has been used by India AFAIK to attack large oil storage tanks in Pakistan after dark, where the sun had heated the tanks during the day and they remained warm enough after dark to get a lock with these missiles.

Since then the SS-N-14 is another anti ship/anti sub system that has dual guidance options, and of course the Kh-22M was known to have a combined active radar homing/passive anti radiation homing seeker head.

Combining these options just makes the weapon more flexible and resistant to decoys or jamming.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Nice thumbsup

The first launch of "BrahMos" with the Su-30MKI is planned for March 2015
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:53 pm

The first launch of "BrahMos" with the Su-30MKI is planned for March 2015
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:06 pm

George1 wrote:The first launch of "BrahMos" with the Su-30MKI is planned for March 2015

Much much smaller missile but much much faster (Mach 3.5 VS Mach 2.Cool and without export restrictions 500+km range

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 KBAMXU5

read the sign (ultimate weapon system) Very Happy
    type055

Post  type055 Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Viktor wrote:
    George1 wrote:The first launch of "BrahMos" with the Su-30MKI is planned for March 2015

Much much smaller missile but much much faster (Mach 3.5 VS Mach 2.Cool and without export restrictions 500+km range

BrahMos Missile in Indian Armed Forces - Page 2 KBAMXU5

read the sign (ultimate weapon system) Very Happy

consider the size of bramos, I doubt it has a Mach 3.5 can have a 500KM range , higher the speed shorter the range, USSR's antiship missile can have both speed and range coz their missles are super huge, also fly very high

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:22 am