Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

2 posters

Science fiction recomendations

The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Science fiction recomendations Empty Science fiction recomendations

Post  The-thing-next-door Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I am looking to find some science fiction material other than outside of the typical western tropes of accurate predictions of thier demise or small minded social theory.

Would anyone happen to now where I might able to find such material?

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Science fiction recomendations Empty Re: Science fiction recomendations

Post  PapaDragon Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm

What exactly?

Books, movies, TV, anime, videogames?
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:44 am

well I was mostly thinking of everything.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 pm

The-thing-next-door wrote:well I was mostly thinking of everything.

Books:

The Expanse.
    Kinda like Game of Thrones in space only it's hard SF political and military thriller instead of fantasy. There is also TV show so see which format you prefer (there are 8 books so far, TV show reached book 3 new season should be coming soon)

Hunger Games.
    You probably heard about this one. It looks like teen soap opera but it's seriously good. They don't play around especially in book 3. Movies are also great so check them out too.

Videogames:

Mass Effect 1.
    Best SF game ever made. Sequels are watered down hard to pander to low IQ mass audience so they are optional in my book. In retrospect I should have never bothered with sequels. But original game is best thing you will ever play.

Deus Ex and Deus Ex Human Revolution.
    Fist one is legendary but if you want something fresh try Human Revolution, same quality, better graphics.

Alien Isolation.
    Just as good as first two movies and story fits perfectly. You will die. A lot. (If you survive hospital level at the beginning you will finish the game. Tip:to find ladder during fire LOOK UP!)

Halo.
    Entire game series is coming to PC soon so keep an eye on it, it's amazing.

Anime:

Psycho-Pass​.
    Crime thriller in future Japan where everything is controlled by central computer including crime tendencies.

Knights of Sidonia.
    Military SF. Last two episodes have best space combat scene you will ever watch. Physics is taken really seriously. Don't watch season 2 because it's trash. And definitely don't read the comic book.

Planetes.
    This one is low on drama and action and is more about daily lives of people working in space. No aliens, no horror, no mysteries just day to day stuff about ordinary people. Watch this one in original Japanese because English dub sucks (Russian guy is only one with accent for some reason). This is pretty much best anime ever made.

Movies: Alien, Aliens, Event Horizon, The Thing, Gravity, Interstellar, Star Wars Rogue One, Arrival... (I'm​ pretty sure you got movies covered already)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:36 am