Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+16
11E
Godric
miketheterrible
Finty
Airbornewolf
lancelot
Cowboy's daughter
starman
Aristide
flamming_python
ahmedfire
kvs
GarryB
PapaDragon
JohninMK
nomadski
20 posters

What is your hobby

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

What is your hobby - Page 4 Empty Re: What is your hobby

Post  d_taddei2 Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:04 pm

I use to collect Soviet military items but sold most of them only a handful left now mostly deactivated arms. Collecting Old cars but yet again sold a few left with one as my daily driver. Travelling to less visited areas such as North Korea, Kyrgyzstan Uzbekistan Tajikistan, Somaliland, Transnistria, and been Chernobyl three times second time stayed five days in the zone. And was in Donetsk city back in 2014 when it was takeover by Donbass militia. Now I mostly spend time between Scotland and Kenya/Uganda. Also enjoy walking, historic sites, standing stones, castles etc. Soviet architecture and monuments, Soviet cars, And of course Soviet and Russian military equipment I think the interest never left me after leaving the forces as it was one of the areas of my role while serving in British Army. Also a supporter of Scottish independence.

GarryB, Werewolf, Airbornewolf, kvs and Rodion_Romanovic like this post

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:34 am

GarryB wrote:BTW Werewolf... if you are a professional in Linux... what do you know about Caspar... from what I can find it seems to be the equivalent of Ventoy but with the added advantage of saving settings making all the changes and preference you set when you boot up an OS saveable on the device so if you shut down you don't have to set everything up again making each OS a portable computer on a drive...

Sorry Garry!
    I have read it while on work and then totally forgot to reply to your question.

I personally haven't tried Caspar and heard it first time from you.
    We usually use ventoy as it is easy to use and we have some apprentices who need to show consistent work and due to inexperience they might change something that might affect later on work at a customer's server.

However, it sounds great for personal use I will have to try it once I am at home and have time.

Sorry for the long ass time letting you wait with no information on that matter :/

GarryB and Airbornewolf like this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:42 am

lets just call it a hobby out of necessity.

some here know i am an adult living solitary.
    I wanted to migrate to Russia, but those plans are shot for the moment.
    I am western European, and Russia decided (understandably) to give EU citizens the same kind of shit that the EU imposed on Russian citizens looking to migrate.
    ..unless you are looking for someone to promote Russia to the West and want to offer me an RF passport and permanent job, Kremlin Razz. Call me!! Razz

Living standards are going rapidly downhill here in Europe where housing and utility's are going are becoming unobtainable if you are single.
    I am not exactly living on the lower-income scale, so i have room to maneuver.

I live in a rental home right now, but i only utilize one room in the house.
    Living in the millitary barracks for over an decade just hard-wired me to cram all i need in a tiny bit of personal space.
    I seriously do not know what to do with an full-sized house.

There are heavy energy regulations in Europe.
    For example, if you buy an older house now, it has to meet tight energy conservation standards and you need to invest heavily in isolation and electrical heat pumps.
    As my Russia migration plans are torpedoed, i want to solve my housing issue without ending being an slave to mortage and payments.

It is a difference of paying 300.000 euro's for an house, with the need to upgrade to environmental/isolation norms.
    or 100.000 for an fully equipped Tiny home, excluding the "green" solutions i want to build in and the plot of land.
    It is for me a no-brainer.
    I will eliminate my mortgage quickly and free myself from the serious financial obligations to spend my money elsewhere.

I am currently setting up to make preparations for an "tiny home" or known as an micro home.
    If you never heard of it, this gives a good idea.

What is your hobby - Page 4 Captu123

Except i want an permanent type with connections to permanent connection utilities like sewage ,water, gas, electricity.
    I do plan on investing heavily on self-sustainability

Currently i am lining up the requirement of solar panels and wind turbines, storage in home battery's for daily need and other facility's like water reclamation and heating/cooling of the home by running air-conditioning/heat exchange trough the deep ground.

I have informed several party's i want a small plot of land with utilities that is near forests.
    So it is a waiting game now.

In Europe, Gas and Power will be the new gold. so i plan to cut this all out of my bills.
    The house will be a smart home, so all will be directed by smartphone or voice controlled.
    Plenty of RGB lighting as well, i just love the (retro) future lifestyle.
    Being a programmer just makes it easier to realize all of that, to get the shit working as you want.

Anyway, i am pretty excited to get my own little piece of Eden here. Living the Solitary minimalist dream.
    my first choice was being an part of St. Petersburg. But if i pull this off i would be very happy too.
    We all have to make due with the means that are given to us. Very Happy

GarryB, ahmedfire, George1, Werewolf and kvs like this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:57 am

Beautiful Bicycle . Good hobby to restore and ride ! Doctor ordered me to ride Bicycle to help Arthritis in my knees .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=imqkwyoHbIE

GarryB likes this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:09 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NgPFiBu_k&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D

I have started going shopping on my bicycle . I find it a good way to go shopping and it is easy to park . But carrying loads on a bicycle can be tricky ..So far , I have been able to carry about 25 kg in a back-pack and a pannier that I constructed out of an old back-pack . I only have a pedal bicycle ( since I am an old commie , lefty and radical well say , progressive at least ! ) and think that an electric bicycle defeats the objective and is expensive ; those wealthy capitalist pigs with their electric bicycles ! Do you have suggestions about carrying loads with bicycle ( other than front or rear boxes ) ?

GarryB and kvs like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:12 am

I have seen "kiddie" carts towed by bicycles but I do not think they are practical. You are stuck with behind the seat racks
    and a backpack. If you can carry 25 kg you do not sound like you need more capacity but I do not know what your shopping
    schedule is like. The simplest fix is to go more often.

GarryB and nomadski like this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:05 pm

Yes my bike has a front and rear rack , but I can not fix a basket or box to it , to put my shopping in . The reason is that , I have short legs and am no longer flexible , able to mount the bicycle , over the rear basket or box . So I am left with my only choice of hanging panniers and carrying a back-pack . And you are right , I do not do my main shop by bicycle , that would be too much . I only do once a week bicycle shopping , for hard to find items , or cheaper items , such as fruit and veg and some toiletries . Carrying a cart is not practical , affects riding safety and is cumbersome to carry around , up escalators and stairs . Going twice a week is better , as you say . Fresh veg and fruit ! I remember now the caricature of the Frenchman , on his bicycle , with a string of Garlic , hanging from his bike !

https://curiousrambler.com/berets-onions-and-stereotypes/

GarryB and kvs like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:16 pm

Have you considered a Trike? Better stability and an extra wheel to carry extra weight and you can replace the crotch cutter (seat) with a more comfortable motorbike like seat.

I agree regarding electric bikes... they act so smug pretending they are saving the environment and getting exercise all at once, but really the requirements and costs for their batteries etc they actually cost about as much as a second hand car would cost here... 5-10K dollars

Most governments of course have jumped on board with this BS and millions of dollars are being spent here to add cycle ways on our streets for the bikes that are not being used at the moment.

Essentially millions of dollars and disruption of traffic for road users that don't buy petrol or diesel... except road users in New Zealand pay for the roads by the road tax included in the price of petrol and diesel so if they even get their wish who is going to pay for upkeep and maintenance of roads?

I remember a video from a news story in the early 1990s of an interview with US car makers in Beijiing and you could see out the window that the roads were wall to wall bicycles, and the guy said the future he saw for China was for the bicycles to be replaced by cars... he very quickly got his wish and a few years after that bicycles in smaller towns also got replaced by motor bikes and cars.

Progress?

Not really... love to see western politicians try to tell them they have to go back to riding bikes again because cars are bad... Twisted Evil

kvs and nomadski like this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:22 am

A trike is a good idea for dedicated cycle lanes and those with storage space . In the UK , the Roads generally do not allow their use , Car drivers will overtake them in unsafe manner , but bicycles do allow safer overtaking on narrow Roads . Also trikes are difficult to pass through normal size doors or back yards . And you can not take them easily up escalators or lifts or stairs . And storing them outdoors , will block pavements and they will get stolen . For my purposes , a simple single speed bike , with a rack , allows for both exercise and shopping trip .

I believe bicycle use is determined by climate and also by culture . Try cycling in the rain or ice and snow ! But in some countries , such as Holland , bicycle use is encouraged by numerous cycle lanes , and by a sort of culture . But , I think that Cars are seen in some developing nations , as status symbols . It is like being brain washed by a consumerist society . You know , everybody's idea of normality in the world  , is home ownership with a Car parked upfront , and 2.2 kids , Dog , cable TV and mod cons and annual package holiday . Psychologically , if a couple achieve these milestones , then they are happy . Many in the developing nations , have bought in to this dream or lifestyle .

However in some developed nations , Cars no longer provide a status symbol , since everyone has one ! The idea then becomes exercise or convenience or being environmentally friendly . I once met someone , that built or converted Roads into dedicated cycle lanes in the world . He came to work himself , with a very fancy custom built fully recumbent bike . Now that would be ideal for me , or those with bad backs or knees . Could also carry stuff behind the bucket seat , on a rack ! But you need a red flag on a pole , to allow car and Truck drivers to see you , so low to the ground !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:54 pm

Going through doorways and up escalators? Clearly you live in a place where theft is a problem... not to say theft is not a problem here... it is a problem every where it can be found, but I don't think people here who ride bikes would consider taking their bikes into shops or workplaces.

In some asian countries they have motorbike based trikes... called Took-Tooks and I have seen human powered versions too.

With added cycle lanes on our roads being introduced at taxpayer expense I have noticed some people who deliver food or other types of couriers have started to use bikes with trailers... sometimes the trailers are behind (ie trailing) but sometimes the storage is in front of the handlebars... sort of like attaching a big wheeled shopping trolley to the front of your bike. The one with the shopping trolley on the front was a trike but had two wheels at the front and one at the back so it was going backwards... which actually appeared to make it more stable.

Of course in terms of size if the front is going to be wide with storage and two wheels then why not make the rear just as wide and put storage there too... perhaps for batteries for use when the road is not level...

I even saw one "vehicle" where the rider stood upright and essentially stood on two large levers, where they were mechanically connected to the rear axle and one lever was up and the other was down... using your body weight you stood on the up lever and as it went down the other lever came up and the rear wheel turned, so to ride the vehicle you were constantly shifting your weight from one lever to the other.

I asked the guy what it was like and he said it was an amazing workout because essentially you are continuously climbing a ladder, which means it is actually much harder work than it seemed when I first looked at it.

He did say he wanted an exercise bike that would allow him to travel, and interestingly the heavier you are the more energy you can generate so you can operate at gear settings you couldn't turn the pedals on with a normal bike.

For lighter people he did say longer levers that turned the other wheel would be a solution, but it was not simple.

On the positive side... no chains.

nomadski likes this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:10 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1tkITQRHgfE

For those with back or knees problems or injuries or even amputees . Used for rehab or practical day to day use . Easy conversion , of used bike .

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:56 pm

Riding a bike instead of jogging would probably reduce your risk of ankle and knee joint problems later in life.

It also gets you places faster than walking or running.

nomadski likes this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:11 pm

GarryB wrote:BTW I have a wide range of ISO files including Android and Linux and Windows which can be found online. Linux ISOs are generally free.
    For people like me who do not have a computer science or coding background, what are ISO files and what makes them important?
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:51 pm

ISO is a CD data standard. An "image" of a CD disk in electronic file form is typically an ISO file (with a .iso extension). There are other formats
    which can hold images (e.g. bin + cue, mdf, etc.) that can be burned onto writable CDs using multiple software (with very good freeware) packages
    and a CD/DVD reader-writer.

GarryB, Sujoy and Werewolf like this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:25 pm

kvs wrote:ISO is a CD data standard.   An "image" of a CD disk in electronic file form is typically an ISO file (with a .iso extension).   There are other formats
    which can hold images (e.g. bin + cue, mdf, etc.) that can be burned onto writable CDs using multiple software (with very good freeware) packages
    Ok.

I don't see too many computers (especially laptops) these days with a CD-ROM drive. All of them have a pen drive.

GarryB likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:15 pm

Sujoy wrote:
    kvs wrote:ISO is a CD data standard.   An "image" of a CD disk in electronic file form is typically an ISO file (with a .iso extension).   There are other formats
    Ok.

I don't see too many computers (especially laptops) these days with a CD-ROM drive. All of them have a pen drive.

You can use ISO images with pen drives also. There are utilities that can turn the pen drive into a bootable partition that essentially
    acts like a CD/DVD unit so you can install the software in the ISO image.

https://rufus.ie/en/

GarryB, Sujoy, Werewolf and PapaDragon like this post

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:34 pm

Just for little information regarding copying of CD/DVD's content to an ISO file (ISO 9660 standard). Most of the CD/DVD's and even BlueRays today have some copy/reading "locks". This can be "unlocked" by opening in one session or piping the content through and updated version of VLC (video player). IT has a nice little module that is unlocking the AACS locks (Advanced Access Content System) that prevents "unauthorized" read of the content.

In Linux the library for this nice feature is from the libaacs-dev libbluray2 and under Windows its libaacs.dll file that contains the necessary reference code.

Anyways have fun creating your images.

+1 KVS

GarryB, Sujoy, kvs and PapaDragon like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:40 am

With certain bits of software an .iso file is treated like it is a CD by a PC type computer running windows.

As mentioned above an ISO file is basically a CD disk image, or it can be a DVD image, so for instance a long time ago as hard disk drives got bigger and bigger and more affordable, as I upgraded a computer with a new bigger hard drive, rather than throw out the old hard drive I would often add it as an extra drive and wipe it clean and put extra ISO files on it... the most important being the ISO files of the version of Windows installed on the machine so if the C drive crashed and wouldn't boot up I could use a recovery floppy and use the extra hard drive to store the operating system. I would also put ISO files of most of the software I was operating so I could use a programme on the C drive to mount them like they were CDs or DVDs in an optical drive (did not work with protected software most of the time).

In this case however, what it means is I can have files that act like CDs on a memory stick or hard drive, which includes file recover CDs and DVDs like Windows XP, and all the various types of linux, which on a device formated with Ventoy can be used to boot up computers (set them to USB boot in BIOS when your computer starts up) in any operating system I want without having to actually install the operating system onto that hard drive.

kvs likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm