Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+11
kvs
Werewolf
Walther von Oldenburg
George1
Tingsay
The-thing-next-door
GarryB
PapaDragon
SeigSoloyvov
LMFS
Hole
15 posters

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general

Poll

Rate the core Star Wars movies... good or bad

[ 3 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left10%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left10%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 3 ]
    [ 5 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left17%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left21%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [21%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left17%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left0%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left0%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 4 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_left14%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Bar_right [14%] 

Total Votes: 29
    GarryB
    GarryB

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Empty Re: Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:30 am

In the first ten minutes of Star Wars I knew not to take it seriously, which meant I actually enjoyed it.

Just get a DVD or tape of Star Wars out and look at the scene where the two droids get into the escape pod to escape the ship being attacked by Darth Vader... when they climb in to the pod they enter through full sized sliding double doors that sealed the pod and the ship... so double double doors...

When the pod launches you see it from the perspective of the ship it was just launched from and the side of the pod they just climbed into now has four small rocket motor nozzles where the sliding doors were... but then you see from inside the pod and looking back at the ship they just launched from through a big window that now replaced the rocket nozzles and the two large sliding doors that were there just seconds ago...

No life signs so there is no need to waste ammo to destroy it... but if this side of the pod can be doors and rocket motors and windows I am sure they could be armoured and covered in shield generators to block anything short of a death star blast...
    kvs
    kvs

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general - Page 2 Empty Re: Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general

Post  kvs Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:14 am

The Hollywood obsession with murdering physics is deliberate. It is designed to dumb down the audience. It does not matter
    if people think that they can ignore the BS. The human brain assimilates information involuntarily. That is an obvious evolutionary
    feature since giving some animal the option to filter reality amounts to self-selection out of the gene pool. This is why propaganda
    works. Even informed and intelligent people over time absorb the excrement and their brains blend it in.

It is easy to fob off the anti-scientific bent of Hollywood (and entertainment in general) as the laziness of the writers and directors.
    But then we have series like the Expanse, which show that some effort to respect physics does not kill the fun. But the
    anti-science is not the only BS. Hollywood plots are typically intellectually insulting cheese. Call me jaded but it gets
    tiring watching some hero or heroes never get hit by massive gun fire while popping off the "bad guys" one after another.
    In Star Wars this is made extra inane by the total uselessness of Storm Trooper armour. Really, the sci-fi super high tech
    couldn't deal with blaster energy bolts? Then why wear the armour at all, even if you operate in a vacuum? The heroes
    don't wear any real armour.

Reality constraints are only boring if you want them to be. Since the objective is not to make intelligent plots that elevate
    the IQ, but to do the opposite, the cheese must flow.

Vann7

Post  Vann7 Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:00 pm

kvs wrote:The Hollywood obsession with murdering physics is deliberate.   It is designed to dumb down the audience.   It does not matter
    if people think that they can ignore the BS.   The human brain assimilates information involuntarily.  

it gets tiring watching some hero or heroes never get hit by massive gun fire while popping off the "bad guys" one after another.
    In Star Wars this is made extra inane by the total uselessness of Storm Trooper armour.   Really, the sci-fi super high tech
    couldn't deal with blaster energy bolts?   Then why wear the armour at all, even if you operate in a vacuum?   The heroes don't wear any real armour.  

Thats pretty much part of the problem.. why storm troopers wear gear is it doesn't protect them
    at all? one blaster shot and they are done.. and the helmet does neither provide oxygen..
    so is an oxymoron movie for intellectualy low IQ audience. like teens.  

You get the impression that the movie is more a show of space cosmetic gallery , than an actual
    story with real armies ,but the endless silly decisions they take..  

how can enemy feel threatened by something like this from the light side?   lol1

There is no real bad guys in star wars , what you have is a movie made for children and some adult
    idiots too who buy their crap. Star wars have an identity problem ,try to be too a disney all audience
    movie for toys and commercial reasons while at same time , try to keep interested adults with
    their special effects.  Star wars is like teenage mutant ninja turtles combined with a bit of star ship
    troopers.  They introduce a ton of alien characters just for the look ,for showing their hallowwen costume ,but characters nobody care ,since they play no role at all in the universe.

truly i never liked star wars.. never ever.. not even when i was a kid , i never understood what
    was all the hype about . was like a space circus with no real interesting story , the bad guys are those who choose to join "the dark side" ooohhh.. so scary eh?  and the good guys are those who
    join the galactic republic and jedi .. but in reality you don't understand why they really fight at all.
    is a non sense movie for young audiences but that dumb adults also like it..

To the credit of the franchise however ,they are moving in the right direction , by distancing from
    the main silly characters.. like princess leia ,skywalker and han solo , that needs to retire forever
    and please kill chubaca.. why that ridiculous bad thing is ever in the game? that sasquash like character is only there too for looks.. is never explained why is so retarded. and neither nobody cares.

the problem with star wars however is that it had already a retarded past , the first 8-10 movies
    and it will be hard to distance from it .  ill rather kill the franchise and start with something new.
    hollywood should better try HALO or destiny universes.. much more interesting.. or just buy
    Games workshop the licenses and make an super amazing space movie for 18+ not for children.
    that is dark and it don't have sesame streets toys.. and takes more seriously the story..  in warhammer universe.. each faction fight each other. is rascism war , and there is a lot of betrayal.
    the line between good and bad doesn't exist.. everyone fight for their interest.. like real life will be if everyone was bad.. you have US a bad guys empire.. then you have uk another bad former empire ,then have israel and turkey more bad guys.. and you have the religious terrorist.. from saudi arabia and qatar.. now you have there a much more interesting drama , then you have forces with more reasonable behavior Russia and china ,but very opposite in culture and ideas .. then you have the main land europe neoliberals who are just one step away of anglo zionist powers corruption. last but not least you have the craziest.. north koreans... and the everyone piss africans and emerging asians factions in technology , and the colonies in latin america.   In Short space movies needs to be more realistic in reasons they fight each other ,and costume each faction use should have a reason to exist other than because "it looks cool"

Don't make mistake star wars is pretty to the eyes , i see star wars movies only for the eye candy
    but i never care at all for anyone name or story. those are movies you don't feel attached or don't care much what will happen next , look the mandalorian episodes ,that the center of their story is
    the yoda baby.  lol1   Hollywood is full of very bad story writers with a lot of money..   avatar is also same crap , flying dinosaurs vs space ships really?  No  those are movies for low intelligence people.    darth vader is supposed to be scary..  lol1   with its amateurish uniform , and storm troopers looks like elon musk latest spacex uniforms.. ie.. boring , so white ,shinny and clean. like a toy.. is bad movie ,bad story , bad music , very bad characters ,for teens and adults who wants a space circus movie and not a real drama.

there is only a handful characters that are cool , however ,some robots and others that i can remember , but they does not play an important part of the universe.. just figure out..

Take a look how interesting warhammer universe story telling can be..
    instead of a movie wasting the entire time ,finding a baby yoda ,  as mandalorian is.. how interesting eh?  Rolling Eyes   even in warhammer video games ,you find far more interesting stories than the
    entire star wars movie franchise.

Warhammer universe received a lot of inspiration for real life crusades ,specially the knight templars,
    their uniforms use a lot of knight templars like fashion , and they fight with mace and swords and full plate armor..   in the video game for example [warhammer inquisitor martyr..]    you play as an inquisitor that are space agents , that travels the entire galaxy for special missions , and the main
    game character is given a mission to investigate a lost ancient space ship ,a monastery spaceship called martyr . after many years lost ,they find it again ,but no signals of life inside ,then the inquisitor goes inside to see what happened to the crew and why it was lost.

here is the intro of just one game of the warhammer universe , with far infinite less budget than hollywood is much more interesting ,that any intro of any start wars movie .

hollywood however is not all bad.. there are some exceptions..
    the best space movies from US movie industry are the original alien movies by far.. and gets better with their last 3 ones by the time. The alien universe is interesting too ,far more than star wars ,but not at level of warhammer.

More reasons why star wars sucks..  (this is how the storm troopers should have been)
    not dumb and silly with toys gear.

the next is a fan made warhammer universe 10 minutes movie..
    much more tension in those 10 minutes of battle ,than in vast majority of fight scenes of any star wars movie.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 pm

The stormtrooper armour is a great example.... even twigs and stones will defeat storm trooper armour... and it is not just Star Wars... In Rambo III guys on horseback defeated Soviet Armour with attack helicopter support... there was even a Shilka vehicle visible amongst the force the Muj on horseback defeated... totally pathetic.

Equally Obi Wan stated the laser fire damage to the Jawa vehicle was too accurate for Sand People... it must have been attacked by Storm Troopers... but Storm Troopers could barely hit anyone, those sand people must be terrible.

Yet ethnic groups around the world include hunters who can be exceptional shots with all sorts of weapons... but movies need cannon fodder... in bond movies and rambo movies that can be anything from terrorists to Soviet soldiers...

Things like zombie movies and monster movies the military are all useless, when in reality most of the time those zombies would be mown down easily and quickly and efficiently... explosives or flames used to utterly destroy the threats...

But why do they do it... well it is obvious.... put people in storm trooper uniforms they become anonymous... you can pay them minimum wage... and you can use the same people over and over because no one can tell they are the same people every time... if one of them needs to talk then use a voice over later on.

It also means you can kill lots without upsetting the 13 year olds in the audience... which probably made Rogue One a bit of a shock for most fans because essentially all the good guys die.

On a positive I loved the robot in Rogue One... dead pan sassy, but not in a way to appeal to the other characters or be cutesy.

Would like to see them turn away from the Skywalker arc, and do some more gritty stories in the same universe that does not involve a death star.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:20 pm

GarryB wrote:...It also means you can kill lots without upsetting the 13 year olds in the audience... which probably made Rogue One a bit of a shock for most fans because essentially all the good guys die.

On a positive I loved the robot in Rogue One...

Just one of many reasons why Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie by far

Also heads up about Mandalorian Season 2: Stormtroopers are so stupid that they don't even bother shooting anymore, they just run into gunfire and yell "stop right there!"

What a nosedive from Season 1, only good things were Mayfeld and Skywalker

The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:26 am

What I find most hilarious is that in films such as red dawn anyone who is not a complete retard can see just how hollow western beliefs are.

In red dawn for example the "heroes" are just a bunch of dishonorable murderers with only animal's level of thought and the film even goes as far as to portray them as devious scum. It is actually quite funny, considering the behaviour of the "heroes" in that film one would be forgiven for assuming that the Soviets were just on a hunting trip.

Atleast in films like the early James Bonds they managed to make a relatively likable protagonist and they were wise enough not to use another nation as the enemy but rather come up with an fictional organisation that would generally be regarded as detestable.

I do not know where you get the idea that the bond films are anti Soviet, a handful may let a little of the retarded crap seap in, but it is never central to the plot. The worst example I can think of is goldeneye which was in my opinion one of the low points for the series, being just a dumb action flick.

The new "bond films" can go to hell with thier creators though.

Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:30 am

Rogue 1 is the only one that i have seen at the cinema and actually it was one of the few movies that I watched in the past 10 years for which I did not regret paying the ticket.
    It was not a great movie, but at least I enjoyed it.

The best film watched at the cinema in the recent past was the new blade runner.

If I think about space films or series, the only one that I really liked is the remake of Battlestar Galactica (the one from 2002). The original from the 80s was crap.

Concerning Bond films, I really liked the ones with Sean Connery,  not only they were more realistic (and the protagonist was not a superman able to do everything), but they had also an interesting plot... and of course Connery was great amd there was no PC crap.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 am

I saw some of them when I was kid. I tried to watch the saga from the start few years ago and stopped after 10 minutes.

It's total bullshit full of US propaganda.

People who like this shit lack some brain cells.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:09 pm

With Star Wars I never felt like it was western propaganda... with star trek you can immediately work out the Vulcans are the chosen people... ie Jews, while the Klingons seemed to me to be the Soviets, but then later I felt the Klingons might have been the chinese and the Romulans were the Russians.

Ironically it took later versions to introduce the west in the form of the Borg.

I do like the way Star Wars does robots... but even that is screwed up.

I thought the idea was that in the first Star wars movie we see C3PO and R2D2 but similar droids are everywhere at that time... and then when you get the back story it sounds like Darth Vader as Anakin invented C3PO, but when they go back to the first trilogy and he has just built it there are other C3PO and R2D2 like units all over the place already... so he essentially built a PC clone of an IBM PC... likely using spare parts from other robots exactly the same... so it is less like he invented robots and hand built one himself, but more scavenged the pieces and assembled his own model from discarded bits of other models.

At least it is not like the western bullshit in Star Trek Next Gen and other programmes like Red dwarf where the human like robots all just want to be human.... it is pathetic. And the other people look down on these machines like they are junk... today people worship their cell phones... a sophisticated robot that is hard to tell from human would be amazing, and over time I suspect upgrades and parts for Robots could be employed to help humans... lose your leg or arm in an accident and you can already get replacement bionic arms and legs... next will be eyes but why not use technology to enhance what we have... full colour digital night vision, thermal, short wave radar to see through snow storms or dust storms etc etc.

The Pinocio effect where they just want to be a real boy is pathetic... they should be more like Khan... or Blade Runner...

Dark matter was rather interesting and explored robots and human interaction... the story seems to suggest... as I interpreted it... that the crew of the Raza were ruthless criminals for hire but treated their ships robot with more respect than most people in that time period treated them. After losing their memories they had to rely on the robot and came to accept her as part of the crew and essential for the operation of the ship... which she was. I thought the stories and situations in that series were rather clever and well written, but I liked the first series rather more than later seasons.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:32 pm

GarryB wrote:ith star trek you can immediately work out the Vulcans are the chosen people... ie Jews...

Hahahahaha, this one takes the cake lol1

AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:31 pm

GarryB wrote:ith star trek you can immediately work out the Vulcans are the chosen people... ie Jews...

Wait what???????? Shocked Shocked Suspect

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:26 pm