Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+46
Krepost
GarryB
Isos
Tsavo Lion
AMCXXL
mnztr
Kiko
mack8
George1
Scorpius
Odin of Ossetia
sepheronx
AlfaT8
lancelot
Robert.V
zepia
Department Of Defense
Sujoy
RTN
Werewolf
lyle6
Arrow
Rodion_Romanovic
Belisarius
caveat emptor
Backman
Podlodka77
magnumcromagnon
gmsmith1985
Mir
ALAMO
miketheterrible
Arkanghelsk
PhSt
LMFS
franco
flamming_python
limb
Cyberspec
x_54_u43
Hole
medo
JohninMK
bandit6
PapaDragon
Russian_Patriot_
50 posters

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2

lancelot
    lancelot

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2

Post  lancelot Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:25 am

sepheronx wrote:NAPO could be expanded. Or production of the jet can be opened up elsewhere to expand production. Doing so could also ultimately reduce the overall cost of the jet.

Indeed the Su-34 is a workhorse.  What I don't read as much is Su-30SM in this war.
    The Su-30 was originally designed for the air superiority mission. To expand the IADS bubble. The second crewman was supposed to handle the radar and weapons release functions.

Since the Su-30SM it became a true multi-role fighter. But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the crews were mainly trained in air combat. The Su-30SM also lacks the sensors for ground attack present in the Su-34.

Some Su-30 were even lost in combat over Ukraine. So they are definitively being used.

It should be enough to increase Su-34 production at the factory to its max rate. The max production the factory achieved historically is higher than current combat losses. Some of the tasks it does can also be done with other aircraft like Su-35 and Su-30SM. Like I said before I think they need to add MAWS to the aircraft to reduce further combat losses. Since such a system is already present in the Su-35 it should not be that hard to add.

In the long term the dual seater Su-57 variant will likely replace the Su-30 and maybe part of the Su-34 as well. So I am not sure there is much point in building huge numbers of these aircraft.

sepheronx likes this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2

Post  sepheronx Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:42 am

My understanding g was MAWS was supposed to be added to the newest variant of Su-34's? One mentioned by Hole. Yeah, MAWS is present with Su-35 so shouldn't be hard or expensive to add.

Anyway, more jets please. Love these birds (all Russian birds honestly).

GarryB and Rodion_Romanovic like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:38 am

sepheronx wrote:

Indeed the Su-34 is a workhorse.  

While inspecting the production, Shoigu said that they are making four times the number of sorties than all other types combined.

GarryB, Big_Gazza and Rodion_Romanovic like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:47 pm