Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+85
Peŕrier
Azi
Rodion_Romanovic
T-47
SLB
miketheterrible
medo
eehnie
Isos
Singular_Transform
Benya
hoom
SeigSoloyvov
KomissarBojanchev
PapaDragon
AlfaT8
Big_Gazza
Kimppis
ATLASCUB
A1RMAN
Giulio
VladimirSahin
marcellogo
kvs
Rmf
par far
KiloGolf
Project Canada
chinggis
OminousSpudd
Singular_trafo
GarryB
Zivo
d_taddei2
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Cyrus the great
Hachimoto
jhelb
archangelski
2SPOOKY4U
wilhelm
RedJasmin
GunshipDemocracy
Book.
mack8
max steel
henriksoder
Naval Fan
victor1985
Kyo
higurashihougi
mutantsushi
navyfield
type055
Werewolf
Mike E
Asf
RTN
Flanky
zino
SOC
Morpheus Eberhardt
eridan
GJ Flanker
Viktor
Hannibal Barca
magnumcromagnon
collegeboy16
Sujoy
flamming_python
TheRealist
Flyingdutchman
Firebird
Mindstorm
NickM
TR1
George1
ali.a.r
runaway
Austin
Stealthflanker
sepheronx
Russian Patriot
Admin
Sukhoi37_Terminator
89 posters

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1

medo
    medo

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 24 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #1

Post  medo Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Actually new Russian shipyard Zvezda in Vladivostok will be finished in coming years and will be capable to build carriers as it is designed to build the largest ships.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 24 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #1

Post  KiloGolf Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:08 pm

medo wrote:Actually new Russian shipyard Zvezda in Vladivostok will be finished in coming years and will be capable to build carriers as it is designed to build the largest ships.

I like it when the future tense tends to be used on such issues, thus agreeing with my point. Very Happy
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:24 pm

George1 wrote:Do u think Russia should build 1-2 aircraft carriers based on Kuznetsov class until they start the project of 23000E??

Like the Chinese do.
    https://www.russiadefence.net/t2634p25-future-chinese-aircraft-carriers#176005

It would make sense if they could keep the cost down, install nuclear reactor and catapults.

I think that Russian Navy does not need larger carriers than Kuznetsov class, provided they upgrade it properly. But they seem determined to go ''full Nimitz''.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:43 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    George1 wrote:Do u think Russia should build 1-2 aircraft carriers based on Kuznetsov class until they start the project of 23000E??

Like the Chinese do.

It would make sense if they could keep the cost down, install nuclear reactor and catapults.

They will, like 6 moths ago there was in TASS interview with admiral (forgot name but can be found in new AC thread) was talking about concepts of 2 different types, both nuclear powered:

1) 20,000t+ classbased on elemnts of Leader hull
    2) 80,000 t class

PapaDragon wrote:
    I think that Russian Navy does not need larger carriers than Kuznetsov class, provided they upgrade it properly. But they seem determined to go ''full Nimitz''.

All depends on missions planned. I ma a big fan of VSTOL but Russie does not seem to re-born this concept. Maybe planned MiG Concept of VSTOL light fighter in connection with V gen. Otherwise light AC make not much sense.

Big guys have more like 50 navalized PAK-FA what is good Battle group protection and can perform tasks far away frmm own shores. Cost might be prohibitive though. Maybe 2-3 could be built.

hoom

Post  hoom Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:45 am

1) 20,000t+ classbased on elemnts of Leader hull
    2) 80,000 t class
    Well thats new & interesting Shocked

20,000 is pretty small, presumably that'd be just a helicopter carrier, maybe just referring to the Mistral replacement?
    Makes me think of this for some reason (though it'd have been well under 20k)
    Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 24 Attachment

I like the idea of a 100k full kitted out monster but it does seem to make more sense to start out with an improved Kuznetsov or two like China & India, though 'bigger' may well be one of the main requested improvements.

Also: 'dat crane Exclamation makes that pretty large ship look tiny in my brain even though I know it's really a damn big crane Suspect
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:11 am

Carriers are expensive and last for decades... it would not make sense to build some new carriers based on the Kuznetsov.

They can upgrade the K with nuke propulsion and a basic EM cat system for heavy AWACS aircraft perhaps and also replace the old weapons and electronics with new systems like new SAMs and remove the Granits and replace that with 2-4 UKSK launchers so that it can carry some anti sub missiles and anti ship missiles and some long range land attack weapons.

VSTOL are poor substitutes compared to real aircraft, and very vulnerable to IR detection as well with their large IR signature.

A slightly bigger carrier and fixed wing aircraft like MiGs and PAK FAs and you get a much more capable aircraft... that is not so different from its land based equivalent which saves a lot of money too.

They want helicopter carriers for interventions, and they want fixed wing aircraft carriers to protect their ships... two different requirements with likely two different types of carriers that result.

One will be a fixed wing carrier and the other will be a helicopter carrier.

There wont be a Nimitz type 100K carrier... at most it will be 80K and likely less.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Like the Chinese do.

By the time the Russian shipyards can be ready, the project 23000E should be ready for production.
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm

I think the new Zvezda shipyard in Vladivostok has more potential than the previous USSR shipyard Nikolayev since Zvezda is facing open sea, while ships built in Nikolayev will have to go through the bosporus strait, which could be restricted by the Turks.

BTW why didn't they come up with building a huge shipyard in the Arkengelsk region that can build Aircraft carriers? Is it because of the climate? Its in open sea too, unlike in the baltics and black sea
    hoom

Post  hoom Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Severodvinsk...
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:10 pm

hoom wrote:Severodvinsk...

Im sorry, i forgot to mention, however my impression is that the shipyard there is mostly for sub construction. Maybe it can be expanded to accommodate construction of large surface ships as well
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Project Canada wrote:
    hoom wrote:Severodvinsk...

Im sorry, i forgot to mention, however my impression is that the shipyard there is mostly for sub construction. Maybe it can be expanded to accommodate  construction  of large surface ships as well

It lacks capable dockyard cranes to begin with.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:55 am

There is no point in building Carriers now... they need more modern smaller vessels to operate with the current carrier, and of course they need support vessels and a world wide network of foreign friendly bases to "visit" too.

I suspect a production start date of 2022-2023 with operational capability 2030 or so for the first new carrier and 2034 for the second.

I would hope they plan a drastic upgrade of the K between now and 2022 that would include a nuclear power plant and complete upgrade of sensors and weapons and perhaps a small simple EM cat to allow a heavier AWACS aircraft to operate from the carrier.

In mid 2020s an upgrade of aircraft to add PAK FA in a naval version.

As I said elsewhere I would add UKSK capability because that adds supersonic and later hypersonic anti ship and land attack cruise missile capability and anti sub capability too...

TheRealist

Post  TheRealist Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I am really interested in this particular topic, especially the new aircraft carrier and the shipbuilding facilities that may eventually construct these vessels.

In my own view I do believe that Zvezda Shipyard is the potential candidate for the future aircraft carrier production facility.

As shown:

TVERKI

As shown they have already installed in the first stage of the construction two goliath type cranes and they did announce another type of goliath type crane that has a lifting capacity of 1,200 tons. As these cranes are installed during the first phase of construction of the shipyard it would seem that these are of a smaller capacity but this is just the first phase, the installation of the 1,200 ton capacity crane will be installed in the second phase as mention by Igor Sechin.

Later, the President was able to personally verify this – he inspected the area of installation work of the complex, where a few days ago was delivered of modern specialized cranes with lifting capacity of 320 tons. Moreover, these impressive units is only a part of a joint contract with plant with Chinese partners. In the near future on the «Star» appears, tap the type of «Goliath», lifting capacity 1200 ton, it’s almost 3 Boeing-747. The word «unique» here is not for effect – such cranes in Russia never imported and are not exploited.

I watched in Sdelanounas the installation of these cranes.

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 24 5c3110556_5590662

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 24 3352836_7520947

Also during President Putin's visit to the Zvezda Shipyard three weeks ago you can notice the presence of Deputy Minister of Defence Yuriy Borisov and Rogozin is also present which adds to my speculation of the Zvezda Shipyards potential role in the naval shipbuilding program.

Given also the sheer dimension of the dry dock which is 114 x 14 x 485, one would assume that it will cater to large naval orders in the future.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:37 pm

A 1,200 ton is CV building material indeed. Russia has bought Chinese, like the British. Possibly similar cranes in design to that of Goliath (1,000 ton lift) which now sits at Rosyth and was/is used for the CVF project. That said, Nikolayev has two 900 ton Goliath cranes which probably allows more volume production and flexibility. But one massive 1,200 crane should allow building a supercarrier every 6-7 years or so.

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 24 Rosneft-DSME-CEOs-discuss-Zvezda-shipbuilding-project

Interesting times ahead, if Russians get serious about this. Lets hope a new Nikolayev will emerge soon russia
    Singular_trafo

Post  Singular_trafo Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:26 pm

KiloGolf wrote:A 1,200 ton is CV building material indeed. Russia has bought Chinese, like the British. Possibly similar cranes in design to that of Goliath (1,000 ton lift) which now sits at Rosyth and was/is used for the CVF project. That said, Nikolayev has two 900 ton Goliath cranes which probably allows more volume production and flexibility. But one massive 1,200 crane should allow building a supercarrier every 6-7 years or so.

Interesting times ahead, if Russians get serious about this. Lets hope a new Nikolayev will emerge soon russia

The crane and the dock trivial and small cost of the whole project.

The plant that make from the sheets modules is the most important.

The shipyard that managed to make Tajfun submarine can make without any trouble a supercarrier, with minor modifications.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Singular_trafo wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:A 1,200 ton is CV building material indeed. Russia has bought Chinese, like the British. Possibly similar cranes in design to that of Goliath (1,000 ton lift) which now sits at Rosyth and was/is used for the CVF project. That said, Nikolayev has two 900 ton Goliath cranes which probably allows more volume production and flexibility. But one massive 1,200 crane should allow building a supercarrier every 6-7 years or so.

The shipyard that managed to make Tajfun submarine can make without any trouble a supercarrier, with minor modifications.

I'll venture to say that steel bought and processed in the far East is cheaper than Europe. So Zvezda is positioned very well in that regard. I have no idea what the Russian industry in the region is like, but they could fill the gaps by getting some modules built in Korea and/or China.
    Singular_trafo

Post  Singular_trafo Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 pm

KiloGolf wrote:
    Singular_trafo wrote:

I'll venture to say that steel bought and processed in the far East is cheaper than Europe. So Zvezda is positioned very well in that regard. I have no idea what the Russian industry in the region is like, but they could fill the gaps by getting some modules built in Korea and/or China.

Out of question.

You can't build warship modules in antoher country.

You need to make them there.

And the cost of the steel irrelevant, the hours that you need to make them is the most important.
    Singular_trafo

Post  Singular_trafo Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:17 am

GarryB wrote:There is no point in building Carriers now... they need more modern smaller vessels to operate with the current carrier, and of course they need support vessels and a world wide network of foreign friendly bases to "visit" too.

I suspect a production start date of 2022-2023 with operational capability 2030 or so for the first new carrier and 2034 for the second.

I would hope they plan a drastic upgrade of the K between now and 2022 that would include a nuclear power plant and complete upgrade of sensors and weapons and perhaps a small simple EM cat to allow a heavier AWACS aircraft to operate from the carrier.

In mid 2020s an upgrade of aircraft to add PAK FA in a naval version.

As I said elsewhere I would add UKSK capability because that adds supersonic and later hypersonic anti ship and land attack cruise missile capability and anti sub capability too...

From russia standpoint it is irrelevant if China, _India or Russia build carriers.

All of the hold up the US military force, and grinding it into useless pieces, if they try to cover the whol eworld.
    par far

Post  par far Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:14 pm

What I don't get is, India(whose MIC, is a mere fraction of Russia), can have decent Aircraft Carriers but Russia can't? Are Russian shipbuilders that bad, that they can not build Aircraft Carriers? It just sucks that Russia missed out on the Mistrals, if the shit, in Ukraine was delayed, by 6-8 months, than Russia would probably had the Mistrals(at least one of them). That would have been a lovely dream, come true, imagine, taking the Mistral, to Syria.

Post  Guest Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:29 pm

par far wrote:What I don't get is, India(whose MIC, is a mere fraction of Russia), can have decent Aircraft Carriers but Russia can't? Are Russian shipbuilders that bad, that they can not build Aircraft Carriers? It just sucks that Russia missed out on the Mistrals, if the shit, in Ukraine was delayed, by 6-8 months, than Russia would probably had the Mistrals(at least one of them). That would have been a lovely dream, come true, imagine, taking the Mistral, to Syria.

In short.. yes they are atm that bad, partially bad partially no facilities to do so. However that is not the only reason why they are not building carrier, reasons could fill a small book.
    A1RMAN
    A1RMAN

Post  A1RMAN Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:31 pm

par far wrote:What I don't get is, India(whose MIC, is a mere fraction of Russia), can have decent Aircraft Carriers but Russia can't? Are Russian shipbuilders that bad, that they can not build Aircraft Carriers? It just sucks that Russia missed out on the Mistrals, if the shit, in Ukraine was delayed, by 6-8 months, than Russia would probably had the Mistrals(at least one of them). That would have been a lovely dream, come true, imagine, taking the Mistral, to Syria.

India didn't had economic breakdown in 90s and didn't lose big military shipyards in Ukraine.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:08 pm

A1RMAN wrote:

India didn't had economic breakdown in 90s and didn't lose big military shipyards in Ukraine.

They could if they put enough money. But they are modernizing all the navy with a plan. Spending 5 billions $ for a carrier that won't be used (like USA does) and with no frigate and destroyers escorting it is stupid.

India had many miilitary project and at the end they still go for russian. Look at Grigorovitch frigate, they have their Shivalik which is better armed, bigger and made in India but they still ordered 4 Grigorovich ... Same with ther Tejas (like 30y/o and worst than mirages and mig-29 in every aspect) .

Their indigenous AC will probably be a big failure. Even the Charles de Gaulle made by France (which has much more experience) has lot of failures. I've seen in french media that a part of the ship had just 1 mm fault in the dimensions which significantly impacted on the ship.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 am

That would have been a lovely dream, come true, imagine, taking the Mistral, to Syria.

They should have had two Mistrals... the reason they don't is not Russias fault it is flaky unreliable France that didn't fulfil their contractual obligations.

It is OK.

It will likely take longer now but I think Russia will build its own mistral equivalent though they will likely use nuke propulsion instead and they can optimise the design for their own specific needs... ie icebreaker capable and able to carry Kamov type helos and with decent self defence weapons.
    wilhelm

Post  wilhelm Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:59 am

The only current Indian Navy aircraft carrier was built in the USSR, and rebuilt in a Russian shipyard.
    Of course, they have the locally built INS Vikrant being built, but it is a few years away from service.

IMHO, a sensible option would be for a common carrier design for Russia and India. I'm speaking of hull and propulsion built in each country to a common design, of which the two different navies could then outfit differently depending on their requirements.
    This would bring economies of scale....instead of 1 or 2 one-off carrier designs, you might usefully see 4 to 6 built across both navies.
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:25 pm

the most sensible way actually is a join-venture. like this new carrier china is building let china produce hulls and then tow them to vladivostok far east for nuclear propulsion installation. 1 goes back to china 1 stays in russia.
    so china provides hulls, russia provide propulsion and compensate with an air wing if needed or so.... each country then installs its own sensor suite.
    its easiest ,fastest ,and cheapest way.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:07 pm