Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+66
mnztr
Kiko
lyle6
chinggis
Begome
Gomig-21
Tsavo Lion
thegopnik
marcellogo
LMFS
GarryB
dino00
Isos
kvs
Hole
Austin
southpark
Big_Gazza
hoom
George1
BM-21
Rmf
miketheterrible
Singular_Transform
HM1199
Airman
AlfaT8
JohninMK
Singular_trafo
victor1985
Vann7
Project Canada
max steel
KRATOS1133
franco
GunshipDemocracy
Viktor
marcinko
Mike E
Asf
dionis
sepheronx
magnumcromagnon
Stealthflanker
BlackArrow
TR1
nemrod
collegeboy16
Werewolf
dleturbule
Hannibal Barca
Arrow
etaepsilonk
zg18
calripson
flamming_python
mack8
Morpheus Eberhardt
SOC
Sujoy
ahmedfire
Russian Patriot
Cyberspec
Pervius
Admin
medo
70 posters

Russian Radar systems

medo
    medo

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Radar systems

Post  medo Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks Viktor, excellent find.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:41 pm

http://vpk.name/news/103653_radiolokacionnaya_stanciya_55zh6um_niobii.html

Article is about radar 55Zh6UM "Niobij", which production started in 2013 and they will continue to deliver them in 2014. Interestin is, that article mention, that Almaz-Antey deliver 9 Nebo-M complexes in 2013. It seems Russian MoD receive more radars, than we think.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:09 pm

@medo

From the same link but this time only in Russian

55ZH6UME - most likely still work in progress
    dleturbule
    dleturbule

Post  dleturbule Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    dleturbule wrote:Hello to all,

I'm new here and I'm particularely interested in radars.

Who knows what type of radar is that one (and if possible its name) :

https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/18/68/40/39/70001512.jpg

It's near Astrakhan-Tinaki Air base

Didier

I don't think what is shown in the picture is really a radar.

It actually is a directional steerable-beam command transmit/receive station for a ground-to-air data-link system.

Raduga-SPK-75P is one such system. The transmit/receive stations of the Raduga-SPK-75P system, that I know of, have a lot of similarity to the one in your picture but are more complex. Actually the picture shown in the background of the article Victor posted is the Raduga-SPK-75P transmit/receive station I am referring to. The fact that it shows up in an article about 5N56 Shpaga radar is possibly due to a journalistic error in the article.

Of course, from a technical point of view, these type of stations would have some intrinsic radar functionality in them, but that functionality is mainly for the purpose of them achieving their communication, command, and control roles.

Hi Morpheus,

Do you mean that this station could use its radar functionality for pointing of its beam toward aircraft to whom it would send data ?

But why 2 back-to-back antennas ?

And why this reflektor orientation that makes it look like an height finder ?
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:59 am

dleturbule wrote:

Didier

It actually is a directional steerable-beam command transmit/receive station for a ground-to-air data-link system.

Raduga-SPK-75P is one such system. The transmit/receive stations of the Raduga-SPK-75P system, that I know of, have a lot of similarity to the one in your picture but are more complex. Actually the picture shown in the background of the article Victor posted is the Raduga-SPK-75P transmit/receive station I am referring to. The fact that it shows up in an article about 5N56 Shpaga radar is possibly due to a journalistic error in the article.

Of course, from a technical point of view, these type of stations would have some intrinsic radar functionality in them, but that functionality is mainly for the purpose of them achieving their communication, command, and control roles.

Hi Morpheus,

Do you mean that this station could use its radar functionality for pointing of its beam toward aircraft to whom it would send data ?

Hi dleturbule,

That’s right. This station uses a directional beam to communicate with friendly aircraft (and control them if required). To facilitate this functionality, it searches, acquires, and tracks the data-link transceiver on the air vehicles it intends to communicate with. It performs all of this in a track-while-scan (TWS) mode. On a time-shared basis, the station “simultaneously” provides communication, command, and control to a large number of air vehicles in the upper spatial hemisphere.

I should mention that a Russian aircraft like MiG-31 has at least 8 three-dimensional phased-array antennas for its APD-518 directional digital data-link system that primarily performs similar data-link functionality, but in an airborne context. A picture of these antennas is given below. The rectangular patches are the conformal three-dimensional phased array antennas. Three of them are visible in this image.
    Russian Radar systems - Page 7 YiwmdEo

The “main” purpose of using “highly-directional” beams in a data link system is, of course, for communication ECCM purposes, as any serious communication ECCM capability requires highly directional transmit, and more importantly, highly directional receive beams.

The antennas of the APD-518 use a pencil-beam which is, of course, better from an ECCM point of view.

I am sure that there are 3D phased-array data-link stations in Russian service, but I haven’t seen any picture of any dedicated such systems yet. At the same time, I am sure that one of the functionalities of Russian radars like the AESA RLM-D radar is to provide pencil-beam, directional data-link (communication, command, and control) to various types of air vehicles.

The rationale for using back-to-back antennas is to achieve a higher data rate.

I think the reason for the utilization of a beam geometry similar to that of a height-finder is that a horizontally-oriented fan beam is better suited to the geometry and kinematics of an air vehicle, providing for better power density, longer range, better effective resolution, higher data rate, better low-altitude performance, etc.
    dleturbule
    dleturbule

Post  dleturbule Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:23 pm

dleturbule wrote:

Didier

Hi Morpheus,

Hi dleturbule,

That’s right. This station uses a directional beam to communicate with friendly aircraft (and control them if required). To facilitate this functionality, it searches, acquires, and tracks the data-link transceiver on the air vehicles it intends to communicate with. It performs all of this in a track-while-scan (TWS) mode. On a time-shared basis, the station “simultaneously” provides communication, command, and control to a large number of air vehicles in the upper spatial hemisphere.

I should mention that a Russian aircraft like MiG-31 has at least 8 three-dimensional phased-array antennas for its APD-518 directional digital data-link system that primarily performs similar data-link functionality, but in an airborne context. A picture of these antennas is given below. The rectangular patches are the conformal three-dimensional phased array antennas. Three of them are visible in this image.
    Russian Radar systems - Page 7 YiwmdEo

The “main” purpose of using “highly-directional” beams in a data link system is, of course, for communication ECCM purposes, as any serious communication ECCM capability requires highly directional transmit, and more importantly, highly directional receive beams.

The antennas of the APD-518 use a pencil-beam which is, of course, better from an ECCM point of view.

I am sure that there are 3D phased-array data-link stations in Russian service, but I haven’t seen any picture of any dedicated such systems yet. At the same time, I am sure that one of the functionalities of Russian radars like the AESA RLM-D radar is to provide pencil-beam, directional data-link (communication, command, and control) to various types of air vehicles.

The rationale for using back-to-back antennas is to achieve a higher data rate.

I think the reason for the utilization of a beam geometry similar to that of a height-finder is that a horizontally-oriented fan beam is better suited to the geometry and kinematics of an air vehicle, providing for better power density, longer range, better effective resolution, higher data rate, better low-altitude performance, etc.

Hi Morpheus,

Thanks for your very clear explanations.

Here are some other links I found :

http://www.russianarms.ru/forum/index.php?topic=4400.0 : Very interesting, several photos and annotations, but only seen once ; next time I tried to read it again, it was unavailable ; perhaps, it requires to sign in but I was unable to create an account, It's in russian
    http://russianarms.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=3036 : Second photo (don’t know where it is)
    http://www.findpatent.ru/patent/230/2309429.html : Probably technical explanations
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:39 pm

dleturbule wrote:Here are some other links I found :

http://www.russianarms.ru/forum/index.php?topic=4400.0 : Very interesting, several photos and annotations, but only seen once ; next time I tried to read it again, it was unavailable ; perhaps, it requires to sign in but I was unable to create an account, It's in russian
    http://russianarms.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=3036 : Second photo (don’t know where it is)
    http://www.findpatent.ru/patent/230/2309429.html : Probably technical explanations

Thanks for the links, dleturbule.

The first one, I couldn't open, but the other two were very interesting.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Kolchuga radar system in Sochi  Shocked 

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 2yjtq92
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Ah, the elusive Kolchuga-M?

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Nice  thumbsup 

- 10 NEBO-M
    - 20 96L6

Russian Air Force radar troops receive promising complexes "Sky"

In 2014 part of the Air Force radar troops scheduled delivery to 10 promising radar complexes "Sky-ME", capable of detecting all classes of air targets at ranges and altitudes of more than 1000 kilometers.

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm

TR1 wrote:Ah, the elusive Kolchuga-M?

By the side of Kolchuga-M we have Sintez (Automated system for radio monitoring ground, surface and air objects) and in the background we have Luch-MD (Radio monitoring in Microwave)
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Viktor wrote:Nice  thumbsup 

- 10 NEBO-M
    - 20 96L6

Russian Air Force radar troops receive promising complexes "Sky"

In 2014 part of the Air Force radar troops scheduled delivery to 10 promising radar complexes "Sky-ME", capable of detecting all classes of air targets at ranges and altitudes of more than 1000 kilometers.

Good news. Placing Nebo-M on strategic positions could well cover large parts of Russian air space.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Viktor wrote:
    TR1 wrote:Ah, the elusive Kolchuga-M?

By the side of Kolchuga-M we have Sintez (Automated system for radio monitoring ground, surface and air objects) and in the background we have Luch-MD (Radio monitoring in Microwave)

Gotcha thanks.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 am

Its not radar system but it partners to it. Basically this thing called Volinets is used to create 3D maps of terain, electronics maps and all that is needed in orded to plan defenses

LINK

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 CjnnD9m

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 ZsrrAHz

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 Zj9GjY8

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 FAR9sa1

06/02/2014 ( 16:57) Soldiers learn new mobile TSB digital topographic system " Volinets » Military surveyors associations combined arms Eastern Military District (OIE ) , based in the Primorye Territory , were armed with a new mobile digital topographic system PTSTS " Volynets ' in which used digital technology transfer, processing and storage of information . Thanks to modern technology , the process of making special maps and documentary photographs areas decreased several times. Thing of the past use of chemical solutions in the photofinishing process for the production of maps. With the new PTSTS " Volinets " soldiers can not only receive images of terrain in electronic form , but also to create digital three-dimensional models of individual sections in 3D. Opportunities complex can effectively solve the problem as geodetic in permanent dislocation, and in the field. Complex installed on multiple machines URAL high cross . first practical tests of complex maneuvers to be held in March Press servi ba Eastern Military District
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:18 am

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Two 1L122-1 radar systems in front of Pancir-S1 at Sochi

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 WcAJAIK
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:13 pm

those are the decoy poppers right?
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:41 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:those are the decoy poppers right?

Of course not  Very Happy 

http://www.nniirt.ru/sites/default/files/docs/prod/1l122-1e.pdf
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Viktor wrote:Two 1L122-1 radar systems in front of Pancir-S1 at Sochi

Russian Radar systems - Page 7 WcAJAIK

it is quite understandable to use those small radars so near biatlon stadium. Pantsir's search radar emit with too high power, so in time of trainings and races it must not emit, so in that time they use small portable radar, which is far less powerfull and with that less hazard for athletes and public.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:56 am

medo wrote:it is quite understandable to use those small radars so near biatlon stadium. Pantsir's search radar emit with too high power, so in time of trainings and races it must not emit, so in that time they use small portable radar, which is far less powerfull and with that less hazard for athletes and public.

Well thats is the job of Russian radio troops. In general during peace time, SAMs are in standby mode but turned off. Russian radio troops with hundereds of all kind of radars are forming

picture of of entire Russian aerospace from the furthest coners of the country to the highest altitudes. In case any radar detects a threat command posts will automatically

alert aproppriate SAM system (crew) turn on the SAM and perform calculations.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Four new big ones  thumbsup 

Commander: Russian troops began to create ASD four new radar
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:35 pm

Nice  thumbsup 

Pechora radar "DTV" will be deep modernization
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:35 pm

http://www.redstar.ru/index.php/2011-07-25-15-55-32/item/15177-observatoriya-v-pechore

- Today in the field of view of the radar "DTV" fall trajectory of ballistic missiles, NATO, located on the northern and western missile-threat directions. Under our control are in Canada, most of the U.S., Western Europe. Her locators able to catch any space object at a distance of 7000 kilometers. Whether it's satellite or space debris. And if it is a ballistic missile intercept it in seconds. At night after our review zone extends about 30,000 objects - says deputy chief of staff for command and control, alert forces commander Major Alexei TARABRIN. - That is, the characteristics of the radar "DTV" competes with the station of the XXI century "Voronezh", created 40 years ago. 

And yet there have Pechora 'observatory' clear competitive advantage provided not only tactical and technical characteristics, but also the geographical location: ballistic targets are detected at longer range than other radars. This means that the leadership of our country gets more time to make a decision about a retaliatory strike. 

The station has a large and modernization opportunities, which allows no abnormality alerting improve its basic performance characteristics. 2016 program re-planned modernization of almost all plant systems that enhance the reliability, performance characteristics and significantly reduce power consumption
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun May 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Russian VKO troops has recived 5 96L6 radar systems since the begining of 2014

Troops in the aerospace defense of the Russian Federation received five new air defense radar
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 am

Viktor wrote:Russian VKO troops has recived 5 96L6 radar systems since the begining of 2014

Troops in the aerospace defense of the Russian Federation received five new air defense radar

Yup, these appear to be the 36D6/ST-68 TIN SHIELD series replacement.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:43 am