Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+15
Airbornewolf
sundoesntrise
franco
JohninMK
flamming_python
Mir
kvs
jka
Russian Patriot
slasher
LMFS
George1
dino00
PapaDragon
GarryB
19 posters

Like and Dislike system

GarryB
    GarryB

Like and Dislike system Empty Like and Dislike system

Post  GarryB Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 am

The Like and Dislike system has been automatically added by the system software.

At the moment you can like or dislike any post.

At the moment a like will mean your username will be attached to that post.

As far as I can tell there are no points or other indications to show whether a member has good posts or bad posts, it just seems to be a way of showing whether you like a particular post or not.

In your notifications area you should be able to control whether you are notified if someone likes a post you posted or dislikes it.

I will leave it on for a week or so to see how it goes.

Do not misuse or abuse this system please.

For now I will leave dislikes on but not displaying so if you dislike a post it wont reveal your username to prevent petty revenge activities... and as I said we will see how it goes.

I suspect in a weeks time I may be turning off the ability to dislike a post, or I might be turning the whole thing off... obviously you will get a say and any thoughts you might have can be posted to this thread please.

Please note that like and dislike are the default, so if you prefer we can change either to anything you like... they could be agree and disagree, or support and don't support, or even care and don't care...

Last edited by GarryB on Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

ahmedfire, VARGR198 and mnrck like this post

GarryB dislikes this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Like and Dislike system Empty Re: Like and Dislike system

Post  PapaDragon Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:43 am

It doesn't even do anything when I click

And on mobile it just causes clutter

GarryB likes this post

jka dislikes this post

dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:07 am

I like it thumbsup
    No clutter here, and I am on a mobile

GarryB likes this post

jka dislikes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:33 am

i think it would be better if it was positioned in down right corner and not left exactly after the text

slasher likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am

OK I just disliked my own post and liked the two replies we have received so far just as a test.

Clearly it states I liked the posts that I liked and has a number one to record my dislike of the first post.

Please note this is just me testing it... I don't really dislike the first post.

Please continue to provide your views... there are no right or wrong posts... if you think it looks cluttered then by all means tell us and make us aware of this.

Thanks George... I will have a look in the scripting to see if I can change the position of the buttons to the right hand side of the page.

flamming_python dislikes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 am

Also... try it and take the time to see if you get used to it. Feel free to post opinions here about it but also feel free to post again in a couple of days time... is it still great or is it still annoying.

As I said I will look at the code to see if I can shift the buttons to the right of the text box and we can see if that helps too.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:08 pm

On another thread where I had previously liked a photo post I tried liking it again but instead of two likes it disabled my previous like so I didn't like it any more and my username was no longer underneath it showing I liked it.

I then tried to dislike it and it added a number one for dislike.

When I tried to dislike it a second time it also removed the dislike...

So the buttons like and dislike are simply toggles... on and off.

Means you can change your mind, and also means you can't just troll and put 100 dislikes on one post. or Fanboy yourself and give yourself 100 likes per post.

(Have repeated) Will repeat this info in the thread on likes and dislikes.

I had a look at the section where I control the like dislike feature and it is not obvious as to how I can shift it but it should be possible.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:37 pm

I personally like this feature, since often you like one post, without necessarily having much to add to it, or simple appreciate somebody linking some nice picture or interesting news for our common interest. This gives some easy way to let those who contribute know their efforts are appreciated.

GarryB, dino00, Cowboy's daughter, JohninMK and slasher like this post

slasher

Post  slasher Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 pm

For my part I really appreciate this new feature and totally agree with @LMFS.
    Not all the time would someone have something to add but would want to show gratitude/support for a particular post as being positively useful or informative. Hope it continues and doesn't result in any negative issues. I would agree with George as well about the placement of the boxes. Anyway, Cheers!

GarryB and Cowboy's daughter like this post

dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Giving some feedback: I like this option, I missed it when it stopped some years ago, and I am used to it from other forum.
    What I think could change is the place where it appears and especially the notifications, that I personally don't like.
    Because I like a lot of posts if the place don't change you will get my username in your head all day. Very Happy

GarryB likes this post

Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm

Noted and works well on my end.

GarryB likes this post

jka
    jka

Post  jka Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:15 pm

Well I like that story well. respekt

GarryB likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:21 pm

I already said this before but I think both likes and dislikes should be owned by the people making them. Anonymous dislikes are for anonymous cowards
    and trolls.

GarryB and slasher like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:56 pm

I hear what you say but doing that will probably cause some unnecessary arguments. People's egos tend to get in the way.
    To be honest I have not seen that many dislikes as well.

GarryB, PapaDragon and JohninMK like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:56 pm

kvs wrote:I already said this before but I think both likes and dislikes should be owned by the people making them.   Anonymous dislikes are for anonymous cowards
    and trolls.

Grow a thicker skin will ya

PapaDragon likes this post

kvs dislikes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:42 am

Personally I don't like the dislike option, personally I would prefer a few different options like "I agree" and "thank you for posting", because sometimes you appreciate the post but the content is negative... you are trying to thank someone for their contribution and insight but that insight was negative.

Obvious example was a comment from FP about how little money he got when he left service... I clicked on like and realised I liked the fact he shared the information but not the information he shared... would love to see those who serve their countries get enormous amounts of money and support.

I have had similar experiences with posts from Auslander and Airbornewolf.

Not sure how to make that happen though.

With the dislike button, I mentioned at the start it could create stupid bullshit, and the options are make the not anonymous or remove it all together so it is not used as a weapon.

RTN likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:09 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    kvs wrote:I already said this before but I think both likes and dislikes should be owned by the people making them.   Anonymous dislikes are for anonymous cowards
    and trolls.

Don't project so hard.

The argument about tagged dislikes leading to arguments is silly. The brave trolls can still make those dislikes and people are not obliged to engage in their BS.
    But at least they cannot hide with their drive by pooping.

Mir likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:34 am

The more I think about it the more inclined I am to think I might remove the dislike option.

Although there are options to create voting threads this is a discussion forum rather than a popularity contest, so rather than just clicking a dislike button I think it makes more sense to post a response and be more clear about what you disagree with and why.

Not to create arguments but to lead to discussions.

Obviously if your reasons for disliking a post have been bebunked as propaganda or just plain wrong then the person who dislikes a post will have to give that bebunked reason because they clearly didn't get the memo.

A good example of that was the autoloaders removing body parts from Soviet tank crew... now something nasty might have happened once or maybe even a couple of times, but if you listened to western comments about autoloaders in the 70s and 80s you would think HATO was going to walk all over the Soviet armoured forces because they must all have artificial arms by then and need to operate their tanks with their boots off so they could use their toes.

In actual fact men lose fingers and hands and sometimes limbs with manually loaded guns too and the number who have been killed when the guns fire as they load the round resulting in them taking the full recoil energy of the weapon to the chest is not enormous but also not less than double figures.

The point is that you don't know something is propaganda myth till someone points the obvious out.... and you don't get that if you just click the dislike button.

Of course the bloody minded who come here for an argument and don't care about the truth and just want to be right and for their side to be considered the good guys no matter what, then when shown to be wrong they flick to the next reason... which is never as good as their first reason and is often more shaky than the first.... you never hear them say... oh, well maybe I was wrong... but that is OK... look at western debate and discussion it is us against them and you can't afford to lose because this is war... it is better to be wrong but not admit it, that be right and change your way of thinking.

The Russians can remain drugs cheats out to destroy the west at every chance they get despite evidence to the contrary... if they wanted to destroy the west the money they are spending on the far east and far north to introduce a transit route from Asia to the EU and back that is shorter and cheaper would make no sense. Equally if all Russian athletes were doping and all of them have to be banned then it should be pretty easy to demand samples from them immediately to show they are taking illegal drugs and just ban them individually... when you have banned all the Russian athletes you can say... well it must be institutional and supported by the government for them all to be doping up and then ban the country.... they wont have any athletes left anyway.

If you say but hang on... they might pass the tests... but if a drugs cheat can pass tests how do we know all the athletes in the world are not cheating... perhaps olympic sports are what should be banned.... Vann just got a hard on then...

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:58 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    and trolls.

But, but many of us are thin skinned Westerners. Not you tough guys out east with Mongol blood coursing through your veins. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:37 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    and trolls.

But, but many of us are thin skinned Westerners. Not you tough guys out east with Mongol blood coursing through your veins. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anglo-Saxons are the worse Twisted Evil
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:27 pm

kvs wrote:I already said this before but I think both likes and dislikes should be owned by the people making them. Anonymous dislikes are for anonymous cowards
    and trolls.

Grow up and get over it

slasher

Post  slasher Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 pm

Actually, I thought @kvs' angle was that he wants to be proudly identified when showing his dislike for a post, which I fully support. I personally hardly use it because of the anonymity feature, but might be more inclined to if I could 'own' my dislike, rather than feel like I'm hiding like a coward.
    @GarryB, regardless of the semantics and hair-splitting, I personally am all for it staying. Thumbs up/down, agree/disagree, like/dislike... whatever. Same difference to me.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:27 pm

Thank you all for feedback, and feel free to continue to talk about your thoughts on the feature and the options.

Won't make any decisions soon, and even if I do change things it will be open to discussion too.

franco and JohninMK like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:25 am

The current anonymous down-vote setup basically enables stalking. Either make up and down votes tagged with the name of the account or get rid of them.
    The previous points based system was good enough.

Tolstoy dislikes this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:36 am

kvs wrote:The current anonymous down-vote setup basically enables stalking.   Either make up and down votes tagged with the name of the account or get rid of them.
    The previous points based system was good enough.

How hypersensitive are you?

Is it so easy to hurt your little feelings?

How do you even notice all these downvotes when they don't even show up in notification bar?

Do you purposely scroll through all your posts looking for those horrible mean downvotes?

Let's assume mods give you a list of all the people who dared to downvote you, what will you do?

Will you be writing scathing PMs to each of them in big red bold letters? Will you ask for their real names so you can sue them for emotional damages?

What's the game plan here, big man?

And you do realize that this little tantrum of yours will just motivate people to downvote you some more for shits and giggles?

You are literally begging for it

kvs and sundoesntrise dislike this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 am