Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+12
Big_Gazza
Vann7
Regular
Asf
Werewolf
Viktor
medo
TR1
Andy_Wiz
psg
nightcrawler
GarryB
16 posters

Request: Could you identify this hardware?

GarryB
    GarryB

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Empty Request: Could you identify this hardware?

Post  GarryB Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 am

Hi, I came across this photo very recently (thanks Andy-ua) and found it rather interesting:

Request: Could you identify this hardware? 972cf310

I find it interesting because I have not seen a lot of mortar carriers based on the MTLB even though I had assumed they were in service.
    You can see the tube in this picture and it seems to be a 120mm weapon looking at the length of the tube with the muzzle device that prevents double loading, and by the size of the base plate attached to the front of the vehicle presumably for firing the mortar dismounted.

I was wondering how widespread such vehicles are. Have they replaced towed models that were presumably towed by MTLBs previously.
    Anyone know the designation?
    Is it a 2Sxx where xx is a number self propelled artillery designation or is it something else?
    nightcrawler
    nightcrawler

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Empty Re: Request: Could you identify this hardware?

Post  nightcrawler Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 pm

it is a very confusing. The gun on top is clearly for anti aircraft role and looks close to a 23MM ZPU-1. the vehicle is definitely not an assault looks more like a mobile command centre with this gun for self defence. But the big pointed cone fixed in the front doesn’t go with the whole thing. Specially the two oddities are bigger than normal AA cannon (usually it is 12.7MM cannon for infantry & air defence) and that cone I just mentioned.
    There are no Ariel or radars attached on the roof and there is nothing else to suggest if it’s a mine clearing vehicle.
    Without the 23mm I would have called it a utility vehicle but I am sorry I cant find anything about it. The closest guess is that it is an APC with an added utility to clear barbed wires or any other obstacles.. (in case this cone spins and clears things.). its definitely not mine clearing because the cone is too modest to do that sort of a job.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Empty Re: Request: Could you identify this hardware?

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:04 am

?????

Are we looking at the same photo NC?

The clearly visible gun above the front crew position is a 12.7 NSVT.
    To its left (in the photo) is a flat screen with a sun shade above it and behind the screen and sunshade is a single thick barrel sticking up with a mechanism on the muzzle to prevent double loading.
    The barrel sticking up behind the screen is either an 82mm or more likely a 120mm mortar.

The cone shaped thing under the nose of the vehicle is a mortar base plate which is used with the mortar when it is dismounted from the vehicle, though I suspect the mortar can be fired from the vehicle and is most of the time.

I am guessing the screen is for firing data for the mortar unit.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Interesting photo. I think this picture is from Peaceful mission exercise, because it have chinese letters in its right bottom. I don't know, if this MT-LB is from russian army or from any other Central Asian ex-Soviet republic. So, it could be an Israeli upgrade or modification for mortar version of MT-LB. One thing is sure, machine gun it have is 12,7mm NSV.

GarryB likes this post

psg
    psg

Post  psg Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 pm

hello all. Medo is right the photo was taken at the Peaceful mission exercise. The mortar carrier is from the Kazakhstan army. The machine gun mounted on top is most definitely the 12.7mm nsv, but yes it is very a interesting MTLB. not sure if it is in russian army too? have not the Kazakhstan army had some vehicles modified and upgraded by israel?
    Andy_Wiz
    Andy_Wiz

Post  Andy_Wiz Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Congrats to psg this is indeed Kazakh system called 'Aibat' (their own modification, on other pics there was a C&C mod of MTLB (btw I am Andy_UA on the other forum Cool )
    Kazakhstan had invested in to its military mmodernistation, Indeed MLRS Naiza and SPH Semser was developed with Israeli companies help. they had some corruption issues with those deals also.. These arty use Israeli UAVs also.

Some info on it here - http://vif2ne.ru/nvk/forum/archive/1521/1521336.htm

And here are photos http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/42/429175.html
    First - Aibat then Naiza then Semser.

I didn't post their T-72a and T-72b pics because they look really miserably(they've been seekin for modernisation partner for some time)
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:10 am

Thanks for the replies.

I am surprised the Russians don't have custom made vehicles like this, I remember mention of a BMP mortar carrier, but the only vehicles I know of in Russian service are vehicles like NONA etc that generally have turrets rather than dismountable mortars.

BTW thanks Andy for those photo sets, I particularly liked the Kazakh Mig-27s dropping ordinance... and I believe glimpses of the MTLB with SHTURM/ATAKA missiles.

I clicked on the thanks button for Medo, and the + button for psg but I will have to wait till tomorrow to reward you Andy... Smile
    nightcrawler
    nightcrawler

Post  nightcrawler Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 pm

The cone shaped thing under the nose of the vehicle is a mortar base plate which is used with the mortar when it is dismounted from the vehicle, though I suspect the mortar can be fired from the vehicle and is most of the time.

What is this saucer thing; I can't understand??
    psg
    psg

Post  psg Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm

nightcrawler, the saucer thing you are referring to is the base plate of the 120mm mortar as our friend GarryB pointed out. The plate sits under the mortar tube it is there to dissipate the recoil energy of the mortar when firing.

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Gran2

i think its a useful ability to be able to dismount the mortar, depending on the tactical situation. you could leave the dismounted mortar a safe distance from the objective and procced to the objective in the protection of the MTLB, with the firepower of the 12.7mm nsv. but also have the choice of calling in support from the mortar.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 am

Exactly.

The unit itself years ago was likely an MTLB that was simply used as a tractor to tow the mortar around the battlefield behind it and it had the mortar crew and ammo inside the MTLB so the MTLB would tow the mortar to the area it was going to fire from and then move back out of the way while the mortar team engaged their target. When the team was ready to move again the MTLB would come back and they would hook the mortar to the vehicle and load the crew and remaining ammo back into the MTLB and drive to a new position. If the MTLB stayed with the mortar team it would be able to move away faster but it would also be easier to locate by the enemy.

At some point the money was clearly available to modify the MTLB to allow the mortar to fire from within the vehicle, but it is pretty much the same unit with the same crew etc.

Sometimes it might be more useful to dismount the mortar and fire from an unexpected direction or from a different angle... remember mortars are ideal for mountainous steep country and there are lots of places where even a vehicle with great cross country performance like an MTLB can't manoeuvre so dismounting the mortar and carrying it up the side of a hill to a better firing position makes sense. Locating the baseplate under the nose of the vehicle is a simple way of improving the frontal protection of the vehicle from small arms fire and at the same time offering a place to store the base plate if it is needed and also putting some weight on the front... because the rear mounted mortar tube will add weight to the back.

I have seen mortars like the 82mm Vasilek automatic mortar lashed to the rear of BTRs and MTLBs and other vehicles in war zones, but I have not seen a mortar setup like this where the mortar is inside the troop area of an APC.

It seems that the Russians went from towing mortars to putting them in customised turrets with the exception of their very biggest. The 2S9 Nona is a BMD chassis with a 120mm mortar in a turret, the 2S23 Nona-SVK is BTR-80 with a 120mm mortar in a turret, the 2S31Vena is a BMP-3 based system with a 120mm mortar in a large turret, the 2S34 Hosta is a 2S1 122mm howitzer with the main gun replaced with a 120mm gun mortar in a turret.
    The exception of course is the 2S4 which has a mortar too big for a conventional turret.

The 120mm mortar has good range and has a much more effective shell than an 82mm mortar while at the same time it is not too big to be difficult to operate/support.
    nightcrawler
    nightcrawler

Post  nightcrawler Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 pm

@Garry; PSG

Thnx I love you
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:31 am

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/karelmilitary/37260910/1083082/1083082_900.jpg

Kolchuga-M?
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:44 pm

TR1 wrote:http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/karelmilitary/37260910/1083082/1083082_900.jpg

Kolchuga-M?

Could be a Russian version of Kolchuga.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:32 pm

I thought Kolchuga-M was a Russian, newer Kolchuga.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Empty Kolchuga-M?

Post  Viktor Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 am

TR1 wrote:I thought Kolchuga-M was a Russian, newer Kolchuga. 

It seems that that is different passive radar developed by Russia with unknown designation that some reffer to it as Russian Kolchuga.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Can someone tell me the direct military designations for these bombs and bomb carrier?

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Mi24_bomb_4
    Request: Could you identify this hardware? Mi24_bomb_5
    Request: Could you identify this hardware? Mi24_bomb_2
    Request: Could you identify this hardware? Mi24_bomb_1
    Request: Could you identify this hardware? Wfgz5jav
    Asf

Post  Asf Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:51 am

The first one is a RBK-250 (250 kg cluster bomb)
    The second one looks like a RBK-500 (500 kg cluster bomb)
    The third one is FAB-2500 or 500 (HE bomb, don't sure about it's weight)
    The last one must be a S-24 rocket + B-8V20A rocket pods for S-8 rocket
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:07 pm

RBK-250 (250 kg cluster bomb) with ZAB-2.5M 2.5kg incendiary cluster munitions (holds 51 submunitions)

RBK-500 with what appear to be concrete piercing submunitions... (12)

and in the lower part of the second photo...

RBK-500 with AO-2.5RTM with fragmentation submunitions... (108)

ZB-500ShM Incendiary container.

ODAB-500PM Fuel Air Explosive bomb.

The last picture is tricky... it looks like a MER (multiple ejector rack) offset to one side... normally it would have several positions for 250kg or 100kg bombs, but to be honest looking at the age of the aircraft (ie wingtip ATGMs) it might be disinformation... have seen a similar helo with R-60MKs.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Thank you guys.

The last picture i meant the middle part that is most probably for bombs of 50-150kg class, similiar to this but just smaller.

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Su-30MKI%2BWeapons-6

Asf

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Empty Please could you identify this hardware

Post  Asf Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:24 pm

The last picture i meant the middle part that is most probably for bombs of 50-150kg class, similiar to this but just smaller.

It's certinately not bombs in the midde of a Mi-24's pylon. It isn't a S-24 either as it's smaller, so I was wrong. Still I saw this kind of things somewhere.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:42 am

Yes, that is what I thought... MER or multiple (bomb) ejector rack, but it is more often used on large aircraft like a Tu-22M3 where one pylon rated for up to 7 tons payload would be wasted carrying one bomb even if it was quite a big one.

The thing is that MERs don't have rings on them... and it appears to be angled to one side.

Could possibly be an early Strela/igla launcher...
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:20 pm

GarryB wrote:Yes, that is what I thought... MER or multiple (bomb) ejector rack, but it is more often used on large aircraft like a Tu-22M3 where one pylon rated for up to 7 tons payload would be wasted carrying one bomb even if it was quite a big one.

The thing is that MERs don't have rings on them... and it appears to be angled to one side.

Could possibly be an early Strela/igla launcher...

From different sources i get always the same, they are copying from each other but i can not track down the MER itself.

This is the thing i see on dozens of sources for the Mi-24.

http://www.planesandchoppers.com/picture/number3200.asp

Bomb-load

* All bombs within weight range ZAB, FAB, RBK, ODAB etc.
    * MBD-4 multiple ejector racks with 4xFAB-100
    * KGMU2V submunition/mine dispensers

They mention always MBD-4 MER while this suppossed MER has only 3, but it has also saftey pin eyelets or something similiar on the sides.

If you can help me track down this MBD-4 MER or if this is actually a MER or not, because like you mentioned GarryB, the rings are little bit tricky but the shape of the body seams to be a MER and not for launching of Iglas, since they usually provide power and cooling over the body in the middle.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:07 pm

Can someone please track down this pod on the inner hardpoint?

I've seen it similiar on MiG-35 but not sure of the designation or if it is the same.

Request: Could you identify this hardware? STRELEC_KBM_08

Edit:

Can someone identify what device this is or what those girls are doing?

Request: Could you identify this hardware? Tumblr_mmfbdzhWvc1qee7k6o1_1280
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:49 pm

It's the P99 Walther from germany.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/de/walther-p99-e.html
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:26 am

I owned one. It's the only real weapon I owned. Embarassed Pretty cheap and it was quite popular in 2008. Decen't but after shooting Glock pistols it didn't feel the same.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:48 am