Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+12
Big_Gazza
Vann7
Regular
Asf
Werewolf
Viktor
medo
TR1
Andy_Wiz
psg
nightcrawler
GarryB
16 posters

Request: Could you identify this hardware?

Vann7

Request: Could you identify this hardware? - Page 2 Empty Re: Request: Could you identify this hardware?

Post  Vann7 Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:33 am

Werewolf wrote:It's the P99 Walther from germany.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/de/walther-p99-e.html

Cool ,, was looking for a nice gun to model in 3d... for practice and liked that one..thanks! Smile

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Request: Could you identify this hardware? - Page 2 Empty Re: Request: Could you identify this hardware?

Post  Werewolf Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:26 am

Regular wrote:I owned one. It's the only real weapon I owned. Embarassed Pretty cheap and it was quite popular in 2008. Decen't but after shooting Glock pistols it didn't feel the same.

Don't know what people constantly praise the glocks for. I fired Glock 17 i found it was horrible in comperision to USP's and Barettas.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:48 am

Those girls look like they are using a very large incidence rangefinder.

It uses angles with mirrors to estimate range optically.

Ie you point it at a distant target and turn the adjustment knob until the two images are aligned and match. The number on the knob will tell you the approximate range to the target.

Small ones are used by one person to determine range... this one looks huge and is probably for artillery or aircraft range finding...
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Sounds very interesting, thanks.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:18 am

Early T-72s had them before they got laser rangefinders...

Just based on angles of triangles... get a long tube and put mirrors at each end... the longer the better as that is the base line of your triangle.

In the centre have two eye pieces with each eye piece showing the image from one mirror and have them split vertically so the left mirror shows the bottom half of the view and the right mirror shows the top half of the view... turn the knobs to precisely change the angle of the mirrors until you form a complete tank in the top and bottom mirrors and the angles of the mirrors can be used to determine range to the target. A more sophisticated system has the calculated range in the optics based on the angle of the mirrors... the base of the triangle is a known distance so using the angles of the mirrors the distance to the target is a simple calculation.

Passive, cheap, and accurate enough for most firing purposes with direct fire weapons.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:17 am

While its not related to Armata (at least I don't believe it is..) could anyone identify this early prototype of a MBT with unmanned turret?  Manufacturer? Designation? Year of construction?  I suspect its a Uralvagonzavod product but not sure. I've seen it posted around the web but haven't been able to find particulars...

Request: Could you identify this hardware? - Page 2 %D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BA1(1)
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:05 am

It's an un-named prototype used to test an unmanned turret during the early 80's, AFAIK.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:57 am

Modified Abrams chassis.
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Request: Could you identify this hardware? - Page 2 Empty While its not related to Armata (at least I don't believe it is..) could anyone identify this early prototype of a MBT with unmanned turret?

Post  Stealthflanker Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:05 am

Big_Gazza wrote:While its not related to Armata (at least I don't believe it is..) could anyone identify this early prototype of a MBT with unmanned turret?  Manufacturer? Designation? Year of construction?  I suspect its a Uralvagonzavod product but not sure. I've seen it posted around the web but haven't been able to find particulars...

This is US M1-TTB.
    BKP
    BKP

Request: Could you identify this hardware? - Page 2 Empty Hey, can one of your equipment maniacs ID the vehicle shown

Post  BKP Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Hey, can one of your equipment maniacs ID the vehicle shown at 2:28 - 2:31 of this video? TIA.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:38 pm

BKP wrote:Hey, can one of your equipment maniacs ID the vehicle shown at 2:28 - 2:31 of this video? TIA.

Its not Russian. Its CV90 IFV built by Bofors now BAE. Its i belive CV9030 variant with 30mm gun.

Request: Could you identify this hardware? - Page 2 Cv_90_l4

archangelski
    archangelski

Post  archangelski Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:39 pm

BKP wrote:Hey, can one of your equipment maniacs ID the vehicle shown at 2:28 - 2:31 of this video? TIA.

CV-90

PS : damned, Militarov was faster...
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:17 pm

^ & ^^ Thanks dewds.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:54 am

Can someone identify what device this is or what those girls are doing?

It looks like an optical range finder... it was used before laser rangefinders became cheap.

It is essentially a long tube that is like a periscope except at each end is a telescope. Along the tube are two optical tubes you can look into but one eyepiece has the view from the telescope at one end and the other eye piece has the view from the telescope at the other end so it is like moving your eyes to be 2-3 metres apart.

The result is that your view the target from slightly different angles and you have a control that changes the angles of the telescopes that has a distance indicator on it, so if you are looking at a target that is close you turn the telescopes to point inwards at a sharp angle to get a view of the target... the further away the target is the closer to parallel the telescopes have to be to view it properly... the angle of the telescopes with the distance they are apart means a simple calculation to determine distance to the target... obviously the further apart the two telescopes are the more accurate it is at greater and greater distances.

Called an optical range finder, often used on tanks... very early T-72s had them, but they have been made largely redundant by Laser range finders.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:18 am