Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+18
higurashihougi
ALAMO
nomadski
flamming_python
thegopnik
lyle6
Scorpius
Rodion_Romanovic
Isos
PapaDragon
Walther von Oldenburg
The-thing-next-door
kvs
Godric
Rodinazombie
GarryB
Cowboy's daughter
Werewolf
22 posters

Movie Recommendation Thread

GarryB
    GarryB

Movie Recommendation Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Movie Recommendation Thread

Post  GarryB Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:24 am

The F-14 has a great roll rate. Dunno how the Su-57s is, but there's a good chance the F-14's is better.

Widely separated engines with thrust vectoring nozzles... I would think the roll rate of the Su-57 would be very good.

Aerodynamically the F-14 is pretty good because it gets lots of body lift in the same way the Flanker and Fulcrum do...

I am not expert but I would say being able to fly with a straight wing any advantage the F-14 might have would be at very low flight speeds and even then the Su-57 has lots of wing and body lift area... and thrust vectoring means it can point its nose where it pleases...

And those 30mm cannon shells will do serious damage.
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:40 pm

Well, at least I hope for good graphics.

GarryB likes this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:47 pm

All the newly made Russian space oriented movies are fantastic, so they have a high entry point with any new one.
    By the way, this one was really made at the ISS, so ... What a Face

GarryB likes this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:38 pm

Not a movie, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" series (10 episodes) that aired this summer.

Always been a sci-fi buff, and while I prefer hardcore sci-fi, the lighthearted style of Star Trek (TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9... I guess ENT works too) is very entertaining to me. Much like how I loved the oftentimes even sillier Stargate series (SG-1, Atlantis)... That's before the Stargate people tried to make a serious, dramatic soap opera of it all with SG Universe... It had its moments, but that was mostly because of Robert Carlyle.  

The recent Star Trek series "Discovery" followed the same pattern, had its moments but was ultimately quite annoying. Too much contrived personal drama, too much decidedly non-Trek-like atmosphere, characters act like children throwing hissy fits half the time. Too much "wokeness" forcibly injected into it all as well. Very tiring. Not to mention the timeline issues.

Universally panned by fans, too. Obviously. Kinda like how "Rings of Power" was thrashed by actual LotR fans, as it was plagued by the same defects.

Anyway, people were saying that "Strange New Worlds" had gone back to the classical recipe, including the episodic nature that I love in these types of series. I was skeptical at first but as the positive reviews by actual Trek fans started piling up I decided to give it a try.

And yep, it works. There is interpersonal drama of course, but it's not childish and "woke", thank god. It feels like actual Star Trek for once, a wee bit silly but fun and surprisingly clever.

Now they're working on the 2nd season, which I guess will air next summer. Not gonna spoil anything in case anyone's actually interested in it, but since it takes place shortly before TOS and several key characters have already shown up, I wonder if Pavel Chekov will pop up in the 2nd season, and what they'll do with that now that everything even remotely "Russian" is toxic.

GarryB and Airbornewolf like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:29 pm

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:Not a movie, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" series (10 episodes) that aired this summer.
    Well, I think you should pay attention to "Orville" and "Star Trek: Lower Decks" if you still haven't done it. In addition, the first season of the TV show "Dark Matters" is very good (but only the first season, because the next two seasons could not keep the bar, and the first as a whole can be considered as an independent finished story).

GarryB likes this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:32 pm

The near future. Scientists at the russian Mir-А orbital space station are closely watching an approaching giant asteroid, with a diameter of 0.5 km, whose trajectory passes quite close to the Earth. All calculations indicate that it does not pose a particular danger to the planet, but the next group of fragments suddenly crosses the perigee and becomes a serious threat to life on Earth.

https://www.kinopoisk.ru/film/1227997/

Last edited by Scorpius on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

GarryB likes this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:45 pm

Syria, 2016. Shaberov liked to be a sapper, to engage in a fight with death — one on one. I liked to win — winners are not judged. The clearance of Palmyra captured by the militants was supposed to be the peak of a career, a beautiful point. There was also a girl waiting there, half-Syrian, half-Russian, whom he had recently saved and secretly dreamed of seeing again. My heart sank from the plans. But the closer to the ancient city, the hotter the conflict with the young captain of the group flared up and the enemy acted harder and more insidiously. Risk, principles, death and love are entwined in one tight knot, like the wires of a detonator waiting for an explosion: it is impossible to untie, it is dangerous to cut.

"Once upon a time in the desert"

Last edited by Scorpius on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

GarryB likes this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:51 pm

"Its own war"

Last edited by Scorpius on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:13 am

Russian horror anthology based on the works of Russian writers
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:22 am

So, Cyberslaw is already in 2024!

For those who have forgotten or not seen it before:
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:34 am

pseudo-historical fantasy "Others"
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:59 am

How long before this is a documentary...

Ooops... I think this is a TV series rather than a movie...
    Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:18 pm

The year is 2015. The young writer Nikolai Ryabinin lives in the capital, spends evenings in fashionable establishments and is not particularly interested in the agenda until he learns from his parents that his brother, with whom he had quarreled for a long time, has gone missing in Donbas. Nikolai goes on a quest, unaware that this mission will change his life forever.

GarryB and Krepost like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:27 pm

Do you remember the Russian comic book movie "Major Grom"?

The second film is coming out at the end of May:

GarryB likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm