Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+18
higurashihougi
ALAMO
nomadski
flamming_python
thegopnik
lyle6
Scorpius
Rodion_Romanovic
Isos
PapaDragon
Walther von Oldenburg
The-thing-next-door
kvs
Godric
Rodinazombie
GarryB
Cowboy's daughter
Werewolf
22 posters

Movie Recommendation Thread

lyle6
    lyle6

Movie Recommendation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Movie Recommendation Thread

Post  lyle6 Sun May 02, 2021 10:46 am

PapaDragon wrote:

So?

What's wrong with Young Adult shows?

Are all horror movies crap just because Hellraiser 4 was dogshit?

It can be a great show with excellent production value but its still young adult - a genre that's barely concealed fanfiction and propaganda for teenage girls to teach them how to be that strong and independent womyn that everybody worships the ground they walk on. No wonder Netflix picked it up.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun May 02, 2021 4:55 pm

lyle6 wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

So?

What's wrong with Young Adult shows?

Are all horror movies crap just because Hellraiser 4 was dogshit?

It can be a great show with excellent production value but its still young adult - a genre that's barely concealed fanfiction and propaganda for teenage girls to teach them how to be that strong and independent womyn that everybody worships the ground they walk on. No wonder Netflix picked it up.

Your loss

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Sun May 30, 2021 7:04 pm

I really enjoyed FORD v FERRARI

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Sun May 30, 2021 7:08 pm

News of the World is also a great movie!

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:39 pm

https://manhuascan.com/read-a-brides-story-official-chapter-30.html

Movie Recommendation Thread - Page 2 42940111

Seems like a fun manga that probably involves Russia's history? Still reading it as we speak.
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:48 pm

I finally watched this movie yesterday on netflex. I thought it a good movie.

Siege of Jadotville

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville

PapaDragon likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:24 pm

The Polish champion who survived Auschwitz thanks to his fists: Film tells true story of boxer who was made to fight for Nazi amusement, killed and ate an SS officer's dog and saved a Saint from a beating
    One of the first prisoners taken to Auschwitz was Tadeusz 'Teddy' Pietrzykowski

Fighter arrived at the camp on 14 June 1940 and received prisoner number 77

Before the war, Teddy, then 23, was the bantamweight vice-champion of Poland

A film inspired by the real-life story of a Polish boxer who was forced to fight for Nazi entertainment while imprisoned in concentration camps is set to hit UK cinemas, it has been announced.

One of the first prisoners taken to Auschwitz was 23-year-old fighter Tadeusz 'Teddy' Pietrzykowski, who arrived on 14 June 1940 and received prisoner number 77.

Before the war, Teddy was the bantamweight vice-champion of Poland and a champion in his hometown of Warsaw, having trained with Feliks 'Papa' Stamm - a prominent coach widely regarded as the father of Polish boxing.

Born in Warsaw in 1917 and brought up in a traditional Polish family in which patriotism and Catholic values played a great role, Teddy was drawn to boxing at an early age.

In 1938, a popular Polish sports magazine described the vice-champion of Poland as 'the best bantamweight boxer in Warsaw'.

But at the outbreak of the Second World War, he joined his hometown's light artillery regiment before trying to flee after Poland was invaded.

However, he was caught at the border between Hungary and Yugoslavia and sent to Auschwitz, where he was forced to fight for his survival and entertain Nazi guards after they discovered his boxing talent.

His moving story - which included an assassination attempt on an SS officer before killing and eating his vicious dog, as well as saving a Saint from a beating - was made into a Polish film The Champion of Auschwitz, which will be heading to UK cinemas from September 3.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9737823/The-Polish-professional-fighter-Champion-Auschwitz.html

flamming_python and kvs like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:47 pm

So the hero of Auschwitz was a polish boxer... that is not propaganda is it.... Rolling Eyes
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:32 pm

Anyone who survived the hell of Auschwitz is a hero.

kvs likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:47 pm

Cowboy's daughter wrote:Anyone who survived the hell of Auschwitz is a hero.

Even though it may not be the cleanest of motives to cover certain aspects of WWII compared to others, I cannot begrudge this
    movie for focusing on an interesting story. The most important thing is that we have explicit recognition that non-Jews were
    sent to Auschwitz. I recall one American Jew in some documentary about the Polish effort not to have its victims forgotten, claiming
    there were no Slavs in Auschwitz. This is the typical American chutzpah where self-serving, revisionist narratives are the norm
    and historical balance is of no importance. Auschwitz was built with Soviet POW labour and these POWs were the first through
    the ovens. No Slavs my hairy ass.

Cowboy's daughter likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:44 am

Anyone who survived the hell of Auschwitz is a hero.

True, though I would doubt they would be comfortable agreeing with you themselves... they would likely say the one who gave their lives were the heroes because of survivor guilt.

The problem is that most people who are not interested in history see history through the lens of movies and when all the movies are about jews or made in Poland what chance is there for a balanced view of the world history.

Yes, I hear you say... why doesn't Russia redress the balance and make their own WWII movies... but the problem is the west... it gets a slanted view of the universe and it is happy despite the rich and powerful having full control of what they are allowed to see... it is only entertainment.

When you challenge the accuracy of Enemy at the Gates the reply is that it is more entertaining this way...

Sorry... I just don't like western war movies... and I suspect this movie will be full on propaganda that the Nazi regimes in the current EU will be proud of.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:44 pm

I just finished this movie and it had no right being this good but surprisingly it was

Fun stuff, good time, check it out

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:18 pm

Looks funny... I quite like Chris Pratt too... wondered what he would be doing after the end of Guardians of the Galaxy...
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:23 am

Not new movie recommendation, but so-called "spaghetti westerns" were the best westerns. The American product was
    one dimensional good vs. evil dreck that was borderline intellectually insulting. Predictably the US movie critics gave biased
    reviews against the superior product.

GarryB and Cowboy's daughter like this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:05 pm

kvs wrote:Not new movie recommendation, but so-called "spaghetti westerns" were the best westerns.   The American product was
    one dimensional good vs. evil dreck that was borderline intellectually insulting.   Predictably the US movie critics gave biased
    reviews against the superior product.

I was never crazy about the Spaghetti westerns, but one of Clint Eastwood's best westerns, imho, is called "Hang 'em High".

It's based on Ft. Smith, Arkansas court, and the Hanging Judge, Judge Isaac Parker.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/hang-em-high-1968

Judge Isaac C. Parker

"I have ever had the single aim of justice in view... 'Do equal and exact justice,' is my motto, and I have often said to the grand jury, 'Permit no innocent man to be punished, but let no guilty man escape.'"
    -Judge Isaac C. Parker, 1896

For twenty-one years, Judge Isaac C. Parker held the bench of the U.S. Court for the Western District of Arkansas. His tenure was unique in the history of the federal judiciary; while most U.S. district judges toiled away on civil cases, Parker heard thousands of criminal complaints involving disputes and violence between Indians and non-Indians. He sentenced 160 people to death, and for fourteen years he did so while the condemned had no right of appeal.

https://www.nps.gov/fosm/learn/historyculture/judge-parker.htm

GarryB and kvs like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:18 am

Hang'em high was one of my favourite movies... it is not black and white... some of the bad guys are just guys being led to do bad things... plus it had the captain from gilligans island in it...

You can download it free on Youtube...

Hang em High

Outlaw Josie Wales

High Plains Drifter

Pale Rider

I read that John Wayne actually wrote Clint a letter saying he didn't like his movies because they were too dark and ambiguous and it wasn't clear who the good guys were and who the bad guys were... which I think was the whole point of making them I suspect.

Note I downloaded these movies using "Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express" add on for Mozilla Firefox.

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:31 am

The so-called no moral ambiguity "true" westerns were a type of propaganda. I recall one of them that was not particularly
    well known engage in cheesy demonization of the aboriginal people painting them as pure evil doing evil things to good settlers.
    The Italian directors would never make such crap. Those "good" settlers would shoot aboriginals like animals. And the precious
    US legal system did not do anything about it. In fact, the US government was too busy dispatching punitive military outfits
    to pacify the natives. Custer and his last stand was one such operation. All the other ones do not get any mention.

Anyway, for me the "spaghetti westerns" are fun to watch, while the John Wayne type are boring.

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:06 pm

Gary B. , I like The Outlaw Josey Wales, movie!

A lot of the old westerns had nothing to do with Indians.

Another one of my favorites is Tribute to a Bad Man with James Cagney.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/rf-watch-online/movies/tribute-to-a-bad-man
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:09 am

Looking at the way the current Canadian government treats is natives, well not a huge amount has changed...

Was talking to a relative the other night, she came over from Australia for a visit and got stuck here with Covid, but she mentioned that in Australia a lot of people are talking about sending all the boat people home... something I am sure a lot of Aborigines would get behind.... Twisted Evil

Gary B. , I like The Outlaw Josey Wales, movie!

It is refreshing to see a movie showing what we now think of as the bad guys... we think of the American civil war as being all about slavery, but there were probably hundreds of different reasons for them to fight, and some real bad guys on both sides enjoying the chaos...

Movies should be about telling a story... didn't Clint direct two movies about the war in the Pacific... the second one was unique because it actually showed the war in the Pacific from a Japanese perspective which is rare for an American director.

You don't have to agree or side with an enemy to try to look at things from their point of view to get a better understanding of why they do the things they do.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:59 am

Europa Report (2013)

This is awesome SF movie that most of you probably missed. Excellent grounded story and intelligent characters that actually behave like scientists instead of drama queens:

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:01 pm

In case anyone thinks the one-dimensional nature of "pure" US westerns is a trifle.    Lyndon Johnson was exactly the one-dimensional cowboy playing John Wayne.
    Chauvinist scumbag operator living in a phony bubble of black and white.    JFK thought pragmatically and was offed for it.    The "pure" US westerns exemplify the
    insidious and rotten nature of the American self image.   The so-called do gooders surrounded by evil doers who must be killed to bring goodness into the world.
    Complete and utter facade covering the true evil.

The Italians did the world a major favour with their "spaghetti". They leveraged the anti-war sentiments of the late 60s and early 70s to broaden the horizons
    of American thought. It is a miracle that these movies were even allowed to be made for the US market. I guess the arrogant Hollywood bosses assumed that they
    were just irrelevant trash. But the smear "spaghetti western" was a way to dilute the message after the cat was out of the bag.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:44 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Some fresh quality stuff on Netflix, I'm watching it now and it's awesome  thumbsup

Long story short, it's like Lord of the Rings meets Hunger Games with Russian Empire aesthetics (names, clothes, architecture etc...)

Interesting..
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:38 pm

kvs wrote:

In case anyone thinks the one-dimensional nature of "pure" US westerns is a trifle.    Lyndon Johnson was exactly the one-dimensional cowboy playing John Wayne.
    Chauvinist scumbag operator living in a phony bubble of black and white.    JFK thought pragmatically and was offed for it.    The "pure" US westerns exemplify the
    insidious and rotten nature of the American self image.   The so-called do gooders surrounded by evil doers who must be killed to bring goodness into the world.
    Complete and utter facade covering the true evil.

The Italians did the world a major favour with their "spaghetti".   They leveraged the anti-war sentiments of the late 60s and early 70s to broaden the horizons
    of American thought.   It is a miracle that these movies were even allowed to be made for the US market.   I guess the arrogant Hollywood bosses assumed that they
    were just irrelevant trash.   But the smear "spaghetti western" was a way to dilute the message after the cat was out of the bag.  

All US Westerns aren't one dimensional. or anti-Indian.

For example there's "Nevada Smith", just off of the top of my head, and there's "Hombre",

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Smith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hombre_(film)

Hud is another Paul Newman western.

However, I love the old Westerns. I love them for the actors who played them, (and not all of them Anglos). for the locations they was shot in, some in Mexico. I love them for the story plot., and the action.

I love them for the horses.

here's a Western for you: The Three Godfathers with John Wayne, Harry Carry Jr., and Pedro Armendariz. Hollywood wouldn't even make it today. Why? Because exactly the theme of GOOD, not good and evil, but that bad men can be good, and the Christian theme, that a bad man can sing an old Christian hymn in a movie. Think it would be made today/ I think not.

Also the movie Stagecoach, with John Wayne, again, the theme, a bad man can be good.

There are some fantastic old US Westerns, and if you don't watch them, it's your loss.

& some fantastic actors who acted in them.

Another one is Garden of Evil with Gary Cooper

Outdoor sequences were shot on location in Mexico: at "the colonial town" of Tepotzotlán, in the jungle areas near Acapulco, Parícutin volcano with the church ruin of San Juan Parangaricutiro, and the village of Guanajuato with the then unrestored church ruin of Templo Santiago Apóstol, Marfil. Interior scenes were also shot at the Churubusco Studios in Mexico City.[3]

The location is fantastic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Evil

kvs likes this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:52 am

The American mindset changes over time. The early Western films were  followed by Gangster films and then War films and then  social comedy and then space and alien....

Right now apocalyptic end of world films, Zombie films like the walking dead are popular. Social commentary without the comedy. Very dark and pessimistic. A reflection of problems with American society.

https://youtu.be/O_YRYHEqSQM
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 pm

nomadski wrote:The American mindset changes over time. The early Western films were  followed by Gangster films and then War films and then  social comedy and then space and alien....

Right now apocalyptic end of world films, Zombie films like the walking dead are popular. Social commentary without the comedy. Very dark and pessimistic. A reflection of problems with American society.

https://youtu.be/O_YRYHEqSQM

The 1950s slew of shlock sci-fi films was a cold war spasm. US elites use mass entertainment to propagandize the population. Creating a certain mood is just as important as
    implanting specific narratives. The zombie films are more of the same sh*t. They are about us vs. them dialed on max. Of course, "them" are not human and coming in waves
    like insects. The zombie theme is stale and boring but it is being pimped hard.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm