Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+49
andalusia
Begome
ArgentinaGuard
caveat emptor
gc3762
Broski
lyle6
Sprut-B
Scorpius
ALAMO
kvs
Rodion_Romanovic
ahmedfire
awmz
TMA1
joker88
Tolstoy
Sujoy
lancelot
franco
Hole
Kiko
eric1
George1
Pinto
Svyatoslavich
Admin
higurashihougi
par far
wilhelm
max steel
Zivo
ExBeobachter1987
Werewolf
medo
sepheronx
Vann7
collegeboy16
Cyberspec
Kyo
Austin
magnumcromagnon
Hannibal Barca
macedonian
flamming_python
Viktor
nemrod
GarryB
AlfaT8
53 posters

B.R.I.C.S. Discussion

George1
    George1

B.R.I.C.S. Discussion  - Page 3 Empty Re: B.R.I.C.S. Discussion

Post  George1 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:51 am

Russian Commission Ratifies BRICS Currency Reserves Agreement at $100Bln

A Russian Cabinet of Ministers commission on Monday approved the ratification on an agreement to create a pool of conditional currency reserves for BRICS member states at $100 billion.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – A Russian Cabinet of Ministers commission on Monday approved the ratification on an agreement to create a pool of conditional currency reserves for BRICS member states at $100 billion.

The Russian Foreign Ministry and Finance Ministry introduced the legislation to create the joint bank between the countries of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa (BRICS).

"The overall volume has been set at $100 billion. China's share is $41 billion, South Africa's is $5 billion, and Brazil, India and Russia's is set at $18 billion each," according to the document, published on the Cabibet of Ministers' website.

The currency pool will be maintained by a board of directors, a permanent committee, and a coordinator, whose functions will be performed by the state chairing BRICS.

A country-borrower may use up to the 70 percent maximum of state-limit funds if it has an approved International Monetary Fond (IMF) crisis stabilization program and fulfills its obligations under the agreement, according to the document. Up to 30 percent of the resources may be used without such a deal with IMF.

The agreement will be considered at a government session, according to the Russian Cabinet of Ministers.

The agreement on the creation of the pool was worked out by the finance ministries of the BRICS countries at the June 2012 meeting in Mexico.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/business/20150407/1020554990.html#ixzz3WbjPv9Ow
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:09 am

Nice thumbsup

BRICS Bank Must Be Launched Before July 9, Russian Finance Minister Says
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Nice thumbsup

BRICS Finance Ministers meet held in Washington
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:41 am

Correction... BRICS finance ministers and the NSA hold a meeting in Washington... Rolling Eyes
    Austin

Post  Austin Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Good Read by Paul B. Farrell,

'American Exceptionalism' gut-punched in zero-growth world
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Austin wrote:Good Read by Paul B. Farrell,

Austin, i like reading about the dyer economic situation of the U.S as much as the next guy, but according to this article they're not trying to predict the U.S economics prospect in the next few decades, but next century (~2100). Suspect

That said, they did a good job of clarifying the current situation.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Viktor wrote:Nice  thumbsup

BRICS Bank Must Be Launched Before July 9, Russian Finance Minister Says

I honestly do not see any future in the BRICS institution to ever counter US dollar and american
    financial institution. You only have to see the kind of third world nation that is South africa ,even with all the progress they have made. People fighting with knives on day light on the streets ,for migrants.. is just remembered me how the Rwanda civil war began.. images of their very brutal ethnic cleansing. about half a million people killed by machete.  Shocked
    Makes to look Obama Alqaeda and Obama Isil to look like moderates indeed.

South AFrica..
    http://actualidad.rt.com/actualidad/172412-violencia-xenofoba-sudafrica-apartheid-video

Perhaps is the lack of experience , in capitalism.. but Russia needs to understand for once ,the image is everything in business. Is like Politics.. If your business get a negative image ,looks
    weak , unstable ,it will create doubts on being taken seriously.    

THen you have brazil public unrest with the world largest
    streets protest ever seen in the planet with millions on the streets across many cities..
    Their president Dilma who signed the brics will not stand a chance to be re-elected ,neither its
    party and only a right wing Pro USA . with their disaster hosting of the olympics . IF it cannot
    host right an olympics ,how can any one be convinced they can become a world financial institution?

So what with end?  from BRICS.. we end with  RIC.. that is Russia ,India and China..
    India with its poverty is not the most optimal image , but at least their nation is stable ,and their economy is growing at a rapid pace , so there is a chance there at least..  China for sure
    have done amazing advances to improve its image because of its very strong economy and how they invest back on the country ,getting rid of its poverty and there is a space power.. have their own Credit agencies and international banks ,so definitively China is the soul of BRICS..

But not even China see BRICS as something with future.. and have chosen to start another alternative financial institution that will compete with BRICS..  Laughing

What happens when China start an Asian development bank.. on its own without the questionable other economies? and or questionable stability image.. as is the case of South Africa and Brazil?

57 Nations join on it.. and including NATO countries.. with the protest of USA.
    Why none of them showed interest in BRICS?  Wink

the success have to do with the way it is presented.. as an Asian bank.. not as an
    X ,Y ,Z nation bank.  

There are other things for sure.. perhaps BRICS wants to avoid using US dollar ,which is a major
    no no to recruit western capitalism on the organization.. but still i do not see a major chance
    for brics to ever replace anything other than being an organization for trading more easily in their nation currencies.

Russia looking to create a space collaboration with BRICS is neither going to work..
    Trying to create an alliance of anything with so much different cultures that do not adapt to others is doomed to fail..

Russia will have a better chance ,joining forces with Christian South America development Bank of UNASUR and with China.. CHina even though its culture is very different ,they have an special
    ability to adapt with nation . Chinese are very social and imitate everything they like..not very original ,but they learn fast.

So what we end?  From BRICS , we end with RussiaCHina + UNASUR bank  that is something like   EastNasur Bank.   Very Happy ..that will be the alliance of South America and Biggest Assian economies. The major Difference here will be how it is presented the organization.. Much Bigger ,and much stronger and vast majority of the nations compatible
    with each other. But as it stand now.. it rely to much in individual nations that are doomed to fail , in revolutions like Brazil or south africa..  hardly will stay in BRICS ..it will be a miracle if Dilma not removed in a major protest.. The following pro USA president will shut down its member ship in BRICS in no time.. but if the BANK includes all South America as a continent then things change. And south Africa .. will not be surprising if become invaded by CIA ISIL and becomes another Lybia.

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:39 pm

You living in a fantasy Vann....the BRICS bank (and the others you mention) wouldn't exist if the current system wasn't broke.

Anemic growth for years now, real wages stagnating for decades....nothing flashy about that and no amount of credit creation out of thin air can prevent the tectonic shift that's happening.

Thanks...ties in with the above
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:07 am

Cyberspec wrote:You living in a fantasy Vann....the BRICS bank (and the others you mention) wouldn't exist if the current system wasn't broke.
    maybe his surname is Fanel- King of Fanelia, a Kingdom on Gaea Laughing
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Cyberspec wrote:You living in a fantasy Vann....the BRICS bank (and the others you mention) wouldn't exist if the current system wasn't broke.

Anemic growth for years now, real wages stagnating for decades....nothing flashy about that and no amount of credit creation out of thin air can prevent the tectonic shift that's happening.

Thanks...ties in with the above

Image and trust is everything in Business.. Ask anyone with a successful business if they could maintain its success if they had no good image or trust?

How can brazil add trust ,to an alternative bank to IMF.. if they are showing signs of a major
    revolution to happen any time soon? and with millions on the streets?

How can South AFrica provide trust to anyone interested in BRICS if the nation is experiencing
    ethic wars ?

Why China after having BRICS decide to start and Asian bank ,that will compete with BRICS?

It shows for me. .not even CHINA is confident in BRICS.. and decided to start something different ,to secure a place on the international financial system. BRICS will not impress much
    anyone if civil wars ,happens in near half of the countries members. TO become a competition to IMF ,you need much more than money. Image is also important and being seen as a stable
    institution.. Brazil is not stable.. far from it.. neither south Africa.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

B.R.I.C.S. Discussion  - Page 3 Empty BRICS bank

Post  sepheronx Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:45 pm

I partially agree eith you Vann. Brazil and S.Africa are not one would call stable but having both of them does give leverage.

What I see China doing is much like a big business does. One large company that has multiple small companies who do the same thing. Reason for this is to have large control of the market while giving a false perseption of variety. What I am getting at is I think China is going to flood the capital market by setting up all these banks and having a lot of control in them, getting a lot of people tied into them, and thus having a lot of leverage over them.

Examples of overlapping are BRICS, SCO and AIIB. BRICS will cater to these specific groups who could increase membership in the future (Argentina) and all put in certain % each to help as a cover investment to any country in need of it, but only in desperate need. So all other members money acts as an investment. AIIB is that on a grander scale (open to all while BRICS acts as like a secret club).

But I agree. There needs to be some form of good image to it and South Africa isnt it. S.Africa economy is controlled by the whites and they are a small % and are fleeing the country more and more. So their growth could go the complete other way unless they can learn to actually live with each other. But I cannot blame them on their anger of the Zimbabwian people who do get smuggled into the country in droves.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:48 pm

BRICS to Deepen Member Ties With New Development Bank - Russian Think Tank

The launch of the BRICS New Development Bank signals deepening ties among the bloc's member countries, the executive director of Russian National Committee on BRICS Research told Sputnik on Monday.

STRASBOURG (Sputnik), Daria Chernyshova — BRICS unites five world economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. In July 2014, BRICS leaders approved the establishment of the New Development Bank.

"It is a very important signal of our decisiveness to go on with BRICS process," Georgy Toloraya said. "So this is the question of principle."

Toloraya also underlined that despite a tough economic situation in Russia, Moscow is determined to deliver on its obligations in establishing the bank.

On April 16, Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov said the New Development Bank would be launched prior to the groups's summit in the Russian city of Ufa on July 9-10.

Russia is currently presiding at the group, taking over from Brazil earlier in April.

New Development Bank, AIIB to Exert Pressure on World Bank

Toloraya also noted that the New Development Bank of BRICS countries and the China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) will exert pressure on an existing financial architecture, including the World Bank, although they do not pretend to substitute it.

"Both the New Development Bank and the AIIB have their advantages and have the niche of their own. It brings some competition, it brings a new factor of pressure onto the World Bank and its subordinate institutions, so this is a positive development for the borrower, for the developing economies," Georgy Toloraya said.

Toloraya explained that at the early stages the New Development Bank will focus on the project areas which are not interesting to the World Bank, such as projects in the developing world and infrastructure projects in BRICS countries.

Comparing the AIIB and the New Development Bank, Toloraya underlined that the New Development Bank is based on the principle of equality, and potentially has more influence than the AIIB, controlled by Beijing.

On July 15, 2014, the BRICS member countries signed an agreement to establish the $100-billion New Development Bank, formerly referred to as the BRICS bank, and a reserve currency pool set at $100 billion. Russia will contribute $18 billion to the pool, along with India and Brazil. China is expected to contribute the largest share of $41 billion, with South Africa chipping in the remaining $5 billion.

The AIIB is an international financial institution proposed by China that aims to invest in infrastructure projects in the Asia-Pacific region. The bill establishing the bank was signed by 21 countries in October, 2014. China announced on March 31, 2015 that Russia was accepted as one of the founding members of the AIIB.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/politics/20150420/1021144902.html#ixzz3XxWcM0Yk
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Nice thumbsup

Russia ready to propose BRICS orbital station creation —Roscosmos
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Will BRICS members place their modules on new Russian space station, or they will build additional space station?
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:36 pm

medo wrote:Will BRICS members place their modules on new Russian space station, or they will build additional space station?

It seems like Russia will help create the Chinese space station in to the 'BRICS' space station, or an entirely different one. In the 2020's Russia will potentially participate in 2 or potentially 3 space stations: The original ISS, The BRICS space station, and The Chinese Space Station...lets hope for 3.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:55 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    medo wrote:Will BRICS members place their modules on new Russian space station, or they will build additional space station?

It seems like Russia will help create the Chinese space station in to the 'BRICS' space station, or an entirely different one. In the 2020's Russia will potentially participate in 2 or potentially 3 space stations: The original ISS, The BRICS space station, and The Chinese Space Station...lets hope for 3.

4 MIR's you mean. Cool
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:43 pm

Has the U.S. Lost Its Role as Driver of Global Economy?‏

This is an interesting article discussing the end of USA economic power as a procedure in process:

By Mark Fleming-Williams

Former U.S. Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers wrote on April 5 that this month may be remembered as the moment the United States lost its role as the underwriter of the global economic system. His comments refer to the circumstances surrounding China's launch of a new venture, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). Wary of China's growing ambitions and influence, the United States had advised its allies not to join the institution, but many signed up anyway. The debacle was undoubtedly embarrassing for Washington, but even so, Summers' prophecy is a bit premature at this stage.

To understand why, one must first understand the basis of the United States' dominant economic position in the world. At the height of World War II, the heavily indebted United Kingdom signed the Lend-Lease deal, which handed over British naval bases to its American cousins in exchange for financial support. This act was akin to passing the military superpower baton, since it transferred control of the world's oceans to the United States. Then, three years later, in a slightly run-down hotel in New Hampshire, delegates from each of the major Allied nations spent three weeks at the Bretton Woods Conference, where they shaped the postwar economic order. What emerged from the summit was a monetary system that was based on the U.S. dollar and two new institutions: the International Monetary Fund, which would monitor trade flows, and the World Bank, which would help provide financing for developing nations. Both were to be headquartered in Washington, and the United States effectively inherited the global economy.

The U.S.-centric system functioned well for the next 25 years. The United States had emerged from the war with the world's strongest economy and, under the Marshall Plan, pumped money into the reconstruction of Europe. But in 1971, as the United States was entangled in a costly war in Vietnam, then-President Richard Nixon discovered that under the Bretton Woods system, he could pay for the war by printing more money and exporting the resulting inflation to the rest of the world. France pushed back, and a new fiat currency system that released the dollar from its explicit anchoring role was born, though it nevertheless retained its place as the dominant global currency.

For the United States, its position as the spider at the center of the web has turned out to be a mixed blessing. As the heir to what former French President Valery Giscard d'Estaing called the "exorbitant privilege" of controlling the world's reserve currency, the United States has become the number one consumer, running constant deficits and amassing ever-larger debt from its position as the global supplier of dollars.

Thus, the United States and the rest of the world have been locked in a symbiotic embrace for several decades, even as America's underlying fiscal position continues to deteriorate. But looking at its fiscal position alone misses the bigger picture.

Over the past few decades, the United States has retained its position at the head of the world's international monetary institutions. In 1966, a U.S. and Japanese regional version of the World Bank — the Asian Development Bank — was established and headquartered in Manila. That same year, Mao Zedong launched the Cultural Revolution, a political movement that paralyzed China and left it even less focused on international affairs than before. Despite the changes in China's global position that have since taken place, its presence in the institutions like the Asian Development Bank has not risen. (China only holds one-fifth of the combined U.S.-Japan voting share, and each of the bank's nine presidents has been Japanese.) Unsurprisingly, the bank has often been criticized for being too U.S.- and Japan-centric.
    China: The Next United States?

China's arrival on the global scene could shake up the status quo. The growth model Beijing followed after undertaking economic reforms in 1978 was similar to those of postwar Japan and 21st-century Germany. By keeping internal costs low and running a large current account surplus, China has been able to accumulate a gigantic pool of savings (about $3.8 trillion). It is now in the middle of a great rebalancing, as the country tries to shift from a savings and investment model to one of consumption — in other words, to move toward becoming the next United States. From the perspective of America's allies, China is a giant country with a huge sum of money it might need help spending and is trying to become a vast new market of consumers. The similarities of its current position to the United States' own in 1944, when it too had a giant current account surplus, are clear. Whatever the reality of China's economic trajectory over the next decade, America's allies are orienting themselves around this idea.

Meanwhile, China — with its vast financial resources and plenty of regional projects upon which to spend them — found the regional institution through which it could funnel this money to be sewn up by the United States and its allies. Since the U.S. Congress has now spent five years determining whether China's voting rights in the IMF should be expanded to reflect its new economic clout, it made more sense for China to simply create its own institution rather than try and gain influence in the pre-existing Asian Development Bank. Thus the AIIB was born.

This new institution, though not key to the economic futures of, say, Australia and the United Kingdom (two U.S. allies who signed on to the AIIB as founding members), nevertheless provides countries an opportunity to build a relationship with tomorrow's market giant. Each country that joined the AIIB calculated that the fraction of favor gained in Beijing through their participation was just enough justification to risk Washington's disapproval. This is indeed a significant moment, and it has been painted by some in the media as a challenge to the entire Bretton Woods system and a threat to the status quo.

But these events do not represent a tectonic shift on the order of 1944. For the Bretton Woods and Lend-Lease deals to take place, and for Britain to hand over the reins, two elements had to be in place: time and a major disruption. The size of the burgeoning superpower was not enough; the U.S. economy became the largest in the world in 1870, a full 74 years before the Bretton Woods conference, but British primacy continued. It took two world wars in which Britain faced an existential threat and Winston Churchill's declaration of total war in 1940 before the country's economic security reached a low enough ebb that Britain was willing to hand over its best cards in exchange for financial relief.

By contrast, the size of China's economy only surpassed that of the United States' in 2014, and it took an accounting magic trick — purchasing power parity, the adjustment of figures to reflect different relative costs in two different countries — to do so. And in terms of currency, the Chinese yuan has made great strides in the past two years, streaking from the 14th- to the fifth-most used in international payments. But the yuan still only has about a 2.2 percent share of international payments; it has a long way to go before it begins to truly challenge the U.S. dollar's 44.6 percent share. Also, the Chinese currency is not fully convertible, which is a major requirement for any possible reserve currency. The final reason we have not yet seen a Bretton Woods moment between the United States and China is that we have not seen a Lend-Lease deal. The United States maintains its control of the world's sea-lanes and thus has the ultimate decision-making power over global trade. Without the onset of a massive disruption — you would know it if you saw it — this state of affairs is unlikely to change anytime soon.

The vehicle that drives the rise and fall of empires rests on big wheels, and it takes a strong force applied over an extended period of time before an entire revolution can take place. The agreements struck during World War II marked the culmination of a long process in which the United States rose and Britain weakened. China has indeed undergone a remarkable transformation over the past three decades, but it is not yet in a position to effectively challenge the pillars upon which the United States' global hegemony rests.
    ExBeobachter1987
    ExBeobachter1987

Post  ExBeobachter1987 Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:20 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:In the 2020's Russia will potentially participate in 2 or potentially 3 space stations: The original ISS, The BRICS space station, and The Chinese Space Station...lets hope for 3.

For what purpose? Manned spaceflight is not as useful as unmanned spaceflight.
    Roskosmos should invest more in launch systems and satellites rather than in space stations.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:14 pm

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:In the 2020's Russia will potentially participate in 2 or potentially 3 space stations: The original ISS, The BRICS space station, and The Chinese Space Station...lets hope for 3.

Roskosmos should invest more in launch systems and satellites rather than in space stations.

Actually multiple space station involvement is beneficial for Russia space industry, it basically opens a whole new markets for it's space industry which will lead to significant gains in revenue for Roscosmos.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:15 pm

ExBeobachter1987 wrote:

Space stations are important step into building larger space ships for traveling to other planets.
    ExBeobachter1987
    ExBeobachter1987

Post  ExBeobachter1987 Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:49 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:Actually multiple space station involvement is beneficial for Russia space industry, it basically opens a whole new markets for it's space industry which will lead to significant gains in revenue for Roscosmos.

The necessary investments would be higher than the revenues. At least until cheaper launch system are developed.

medo wrote:Space stations are important step into building larger space ships for traveling to other planets.

The only gain from an inter-planetary flight in this century is prestige.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:07 pm

medo wrote:
    ExBeobachter1987 wrote:

Space stations are important step into building larger space ships for traveling to other planets.

More relevant, long term zero or low gravity habitation research.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:25 am

I saw a documentary in the late 1990s and it was an American documentary that showed the experiences of the first US astronauts who visited MIR.

Before that the US experience in space was either going to the moon... which was all over in two weeks each time, or Sky Lab... which was no much better.

The US astronaut said himself that after hearing from the Russians about the effects of long term space flights for 6 months or more that the human body is weakened and at the end of the mission you will need assistance to do anything on earth all of the Americans had already decided that it was because the Soviets were idiots and didn't know anything and the superior US nutrition and exercise regime will allow them to step out of the landed capsule themselves and show them Ruskies how it is really done. He did all his exercises developed by the Americans and ate American food products and he said when the capsule landed and he went to step out of his chair he found he could not raise his arm to undo his straps.

If that had been a mission to Mars after a flight of 12-18 months that would have been lethal because there would be no one to help.

the clock is ticking... planning trips to other planets and bases on the moon will spur further development in areas of technology and food and nutrition and other things that are not so important on earth because there is plenty of air and water and food. New recycling technology to reuse material we would throw away on earth is technology that will be increasingly critical to our survival.

There is plenty of evidence on the planet earth and rather more evidence on all the planets in this solar system that impacts from space occur on a regular basis... the sooner we have people on more than just one rock in this universe the safer the human race will be.

Sending a robot is nice, but if you really want to look for evidence of water, it is rather more effective to send a geologist... if you pick a place on earth to dig into the ground and don't find any dinosaurs you would know nothing of their existence...
    ExBeobachter1987
    ExBeobachter1987

Post  ExBeobachter1987 Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:04 pm

GarryB wrote:Sending a robot is nice, but if you really want to look for evidence of water, it is rather more effective to send a geologist...

Or a better robot.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:39 am

If an asteroid hits the earth and wipes out the human race all your little robots around the solar system wont have anyone to talk to but each other... and we will have learned nothing about how to efficiently use water and air and create food for ourselves in difficult environments...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:51 am