Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+42
Mindstorm
navyfield
dionis
ahmedfire
Russian Patriot
KomissarBojanchev
ali.a.r
xeno
arpakola
Vann7
medo
Deep Throat
NickM
Zivo
George1
Cyberspec
AlfaT8
As Sa'iqa
Sujoy
dino00
Morpheus Eberhardt
TheArmenian
zg18
Firebird
macedonian
Viktor
Stealthflanker
Hannibal Barca
zino
collegeboy16
etaepsilonk
GarryB
sepheronx
magnumcromagnon
Samar Rathi
Austin
calripson
SOC
Regular
TR1
Werewolf
flamming_python
46 posters

The Situation in the Ukraine. #2

etaepsilonk

The Situation in the Ukraine. #2 - Page 8 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #2

Post  etaepsilonk Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Firebird wrote:1)Strange article on RT about the Ukr coup leaders asking for an open skies patrol over Ru territory.
    Bearing in mind, they've never asked for one before... ever.

The junta is saying that its "to check Russia isn't amassing troops near our borders"

Surely Russia should say "your President doesn't want one, now go fuck yourselves"?

I mean the coup leaders could be using it just to figure out how to do some damage.

2)I wonder how operational/advanced Russia's drones are currently.
    And also, things like EM pulses which would allow Russian friendly Ukraine based troops to deactivate a lot of Ukr military hardware.

3)I really hope Russia pulls the stops out and starts having "counter revolutionaries" in the East AND in places like Kiev. The Ukraine has become sooooooo backward courtesy of the Lvov clowns, surely the junta would collapse in on itself fairly quickly?
    Russia has agreed to this proposal.
    Firebird

The Situation in the Ukraine. #2 - Page 8 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #2

Post  Firebird Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:21 pm

etaepsilonk wrote:
    Firebird wrote:1)Strange article on RT about the Ukr coup leaders asking for an open skies patrol over Ru territory.

The junta is saying that its "to check Russia isn't amassing troops near our borders"

Surely Russia should say "your President doesn't want one, now go fuck yourselves"?

I mean the coup leaders could be using it just to figure out how to do some damage.

And also, things like EM pulses which would allow Russian friendly Ukraine based troops to deactivate a lot of Ukr military hardware.

3)I really hope Russia pulls the stops out and starts having "counter revolutionaries" in the East AND in places like Kiev. The Ukraine has become sooooooo backward courtesy of the Lvov clowns, surely the junta would collapse in on itself fairly quickly?

But why? I cannot understand it.
    I know "the Ukraine" has the right.
    But to me, its forfeited its rights as an independent state in its current form. And because it has no legitimate govt.

Maybe Russia can use it to frighten the rats from lvov?
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:30 pm

etaepsilonk wrote:

That makes no sense in no universe.

Illegal regime, illegal laws and everything that was made by this fascist regime has no legal base, meaning the oligarchic naturaldull timoshenko is still a prisoner and the Ukrainian gold that was shipped by this oligarchs to New York Federal Reserve Bank FED is illegaly stolen.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Open Sky is international monitoring and in plane are also russian officers, when flying over Russia. Latest exercises show, that Russian Army doesn't need long time for action, so they are now for sure in their peace time bases, so Open Sky monitors will not see anything special. I think it is more important now to calm down tensions, because war is not needed for anyone. Let us hope Crimea referendum will pass peacefully and that West will somehow accept the fact although not recognize it. Turkish Cyprus is also not recognized, but all accept this fact. We don't need a new cold war, which will very quickly become real nuclear war.

I hope Eastern Ukrainians will than follow Crimea with their demand on federalization and more autonomy, to prevent Ukraine become NATO member and to make Ukraine neutral with good relations with east and west.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Hannibal Barca wrote:No way. Russia can take on the Baltics and nothing is gonna happen. The Zionists will just scream a little louder.
    Russia needs nothing more that a strong 5 year period of pressure and hard stance, firmly supported of course by the other 3 giants and Europe will crumple and fall like made fruit.
    NATO is nothing but USA. If we start hunting them mercilessly all the US puppets will panic and flee.
    Today with China in the Pacific, tomorrow Russia in Latvia, the next day India in Pakistan and Brazil with her friends in Foklands etc. and it's over.
    US simply can't move around and cover everything. And in the same time huge economic war, make them suffer and regret the deficits they created.
    Like we say in poker, they have no hand they are just bluffing.
    Then the big 4 can spoil the gains. So simple.

Eh, why does Russia need Latvia, Brazil need the Folklands, China need the Pacific and India need Pakistan?

All 4 of these countries will be much better off without these territories hanging off their necks. Main thing is that they don't need problems coming from there.

And in the same way, it's not neccessery for these countries to all band together and crush the West either. They should band together enough, to make sure that the West doesn't give any problems to them, and minds its own business.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:44 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Hannibal Barca wrote:No way. Russia can take on the Baltics and nothing is gonna happen. The Zionists will just scream a little louder.
    Russia needs nothing more that a strong 5 year period of pressure and hard stance, firmly supported of course by the other 3 giants and Europe will crumple and fall like made fruit.
    NATO is nothing but USA. If we start hunting them mercilessly all the US puppets will panic and flee.
    Today with China in the Pacific, tomorrow Russia in Latvia, the next day India in Pakistan and Brazil with her friends in Foklands etc. and it's over.
    US simply can't move around and cover everything. And in the same time huge economic war, make them suffer and regret the deficits they created.
    Like we say in poker, they have no hand they are just bluffing.
    Then the big 4 can spoil the gains. So simple.

Eh, why does Russia need Latvia, Brazil need the Folklands, China need the Pacific and India need Pakistan?

All 4 of these countries will be much better off without these territories hanging off their necks. Main thing is that they don't need problems coming from there.

And in the same way, it's not neccessery for these countries to all band together and crush the West either. They should band together enough, to make sure that the West doesn't give any problems to them, and minds its own business.

Have you ever managed any group of poeple in your life? Things simply don't work the way you imply.
    To lead you need to give a vision to people and better your goals to be clear eg. guys let's create money, beat someone, gain something, f@ck the girl etc
    Visions like: "let us stand unite enough to not be abused by someone but not anymore unite than that" are already toο damn complicate and tοo damn unclear.
    Russia lacks vision, Russia lacks confidence, Russia lacks the ability to patronage instead of being patronaged, I know this all too well.
    If you don't cure this foolishness fast enough you will face existential treat. Russia is simply too big to be left live peacefully.
    Take this as an advice from a race which lead this planet for some 1000 years combined.
    For the other 3 big ones I don't really afraid, they seem to realize this simple realities.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:51 pm

Actually as a signatory to the Treaty on Open Skies , Russia cannot stop fellow signatories from flying commercial jets over it's territory . However, if these states especially the EU ones are using commercial flights for ISR purposes then local Russian laws will get precedence . That being said , it will be difficult to prove it .

Firebird wrote:The junta is saying that its "to check Russia isn't amassing troops near our borders"

The US , UK and a few Nordic countries have dedicated military satellites that keep a 24/7 vigil over Russia .

Firebird wrote:2)I wonder how operational/advanced Russia's drones are currently.

MIG Skat is making progress in dribs & dabs . Russia is now producing Searcher-II UAVs locally, and taking deliveries in Kamchatka. Russia  has announced a program to spend about US $9 billion  by 2020 on military UAVs. Russian military is set to test the Yabhon United 40 medium-altitude, long-endurance UAV built by the United Arab Emirates’ Adcom Systems.

Firebird wrote:And also, things like EM pulses which would allow Russian friendly Ukraine based troops to deactivate a lot of Ukr military hardware.

Russia has some really good EMP weapons .

http://www.rense.com/general76/reak.htm

Firebird wrote:3)I really hope Russia pulls the stops out and starts having "counter revolutionaries" in the East AND in places like Kiev. The Ukraine has become sooooooo backward courtesy of the Lvov clowns, surely the junta would collapse in on itself fairly quickly?

But Putin & Lavrov have clearly articulated their position . Which is , Russia is NOT interested in expanding it's territory through military means . If Crimea & East Ukraine join Russia after a Plebiscite that's different .

Personally I think that for Crimea & East Ukraine to break away from Ukraine & exist as separate countries makes no sense , economically or politically . They will slowly but surely be turned into anti Russia entities by the UK , France and other EU states .

Also , if Scotland breaks away from the UK after the Sept 2014 referendum , the Appetite for countries like the UK to create trouble in Russia will go down drastically .

Ukraine is just an experiment to figure out if a regime change can be brought about in Russia .
    Austin

Post  Austin Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Some last moment negotiation ?

Kerry confirms meeting with Russia's Lavrov in London on Ukraine

US Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to London to meet with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on Friday to try to ease tensions over Ukraine ahead of a referendum in its Crimea region on Sunday.

"President Obama has asked me to leave tomorrow evening and fly to London to meet with Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Friday and I will do that," Kerry told the House Appropriations Committee on Foreign Operations on Wednesday.

"Our job is to present them with a series of options that are appropriate in order to try to respect the people of Ukraine, international law, and the interests of all concerned," he added.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:28 pm

http://lenta.ru/info/posts/statement/

Wow. Lenta.ru's long time editor-in-chief is forced out and replaced.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Now after reading this tell me what is difference between russofascist and ukrafascist? Cause it really creeks of Hitlers rhetoric.

You know no one wants Velikaya Derzhava back in a military way, then what happens to population of occupied country? Free trips to Siberia? Lol even my family had two generations chilling out there, don't really help with love for the system, so better to kill so called decedents than re-educate them. It's cheaper, Ja?
    If Russia will really rise above others in the region other countries would beg to join union or whatever Russia would purpose. Ala EU Russian version. Other than that it will turn to hungry aggressor with a certain similarities to someone.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Hannibal Barca wrote:Take this as an advice from a race which lead this planet for some 1000 years combined.

Jews? Who is this mysterious race?
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Regular wrote:

Now after reading this tell me what is difference between russofascist and ukrafascist? Cause it really creeks of Hitlers rhetoric.

You know no one wants Velikaya Derzhava back in a military way, then what happens to population of occupied country? Free trips to Siberia? Lol even my family had two generations chilling out there, don't really help with love for the system, so better to kill so called decedents than re-educate them. It's cheaper, Ja?
    If Russia will really rise above others in the region other countries would beg to join union or whatever Russia would purpose. Ala EU Russian version. Other than that it will turn to hungry aggressor with a certain similarities to someone.

Simple....get out of NATO and everything will be fine.....or stay in a military coalition created to destroy Russia and pay the prize. You bet it!
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 pm

No doubt that NATO should be neutered, EU should be divided, and the US should be told to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    They have all proven themselves quite the nuisances, and genuine threats to Russian stability, economic development and security.

There are a dozen different ways to go about doing this.

But like Regular pointed out; annexing neighbouring territories and sending dissidents to Siberia is so last century.

Russia should lead by example. It should show the world how a large, powerful country should behave, not simply use rhetoric and point to Western double-standards in order to justify its own actions - the same sort of thing.
    And no, it doesn't matter even if the West started first, or whatever, this is all childish and Russia should rise above it.
    I think that Russia disappointed a lot of people with these actions in the Crimea. Many were genuinely hoping for it to be an example of a more progressive, non-aggressive world power that stands for the principles of territorial integrity, non-interference in foreign affairs, etc... exactly what Lavrov has been talking about non-stop for the past 10 years!

Now I'm no idealist, I realise that this isn't always possible and sometimes Russia will be forced into making a choice between the bad and the worse; such as when Georgia attacked in 2008. But even then, one can think of ways in which Russia could have avoided that situation, such as not using the Western support for Kosovan independence in order to justify the expansion of co-operation with Georgia's breakaway republics.
    Likewise here, it's becoming apparent that Russia had a good bit of reason in seizing the Crimea ahead of time; judging by the iron-fisted way in which Kiev has been crushing dissent in its Eastern regions and the military buildup that threatened to turn to a Ukrainian attack on Crimea just 2 nights ago. But again, Russia - by acting pre-emptively, may have created the threat, rather than prevented it; it has driven the Kiev putschist government into hysteria and has led to it beating the war drums among its own population; were Russia to have stayed its hand Kiev might not have been able to mobilise the popular support and manpower anyway.

More than anything I'm quite impressed with China's tolerance and patience. In the US, hating on China and talking about its imperialist intentions or threats to its neighbours (not witnessed since the Chinese invasion of Vietnam in 1979 at the very least) is a popular theme but in actuality it all just reflects back on them.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:23 pm

TR1 wrote:http://lenta.ru/info/posts/statement/

Lenta.ru is just retarded, i remember an interview with Khordokowsky, where the female reporter always made stupid remarks like "you were jailed innocent and for no reason".  Well if you consider 72 murders, at least 780 bln USD stolen directly from russian economy and selling out russian companies to west which were worth over the years trlns the russian economy, as not illegal than he must be innocent.

They can stomp down this entire western slave "journalists" and this firm.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm

No doubt that NATO should be neutered, EU should be divided, and the US should be told to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    They have all proven themselves quite the nuisances, and genuine threats to Russian stability, economic development and security.

Precisely.

But like Regular pointed out; annexing neighbouring territories and sending dissidents to Siberia is so last century.

Who said otherwise? Georgia or Crimea really saw the way. Who speak about conquests? One way or an other giants like Brazil or India let alone Russia don't need lands.
    Respect need and leadership. I think Russia made clear to everybody that they don't look for expansion when let 6 million square kilometers almost as much as the continental US to leave with virtually no hostilities! If now rogue states like the Baltics go back to bring havoc to those who literally grant them their freedom there is really no other way to take a lesson but with the hard way! Japan leaks USA, Germany leak USA, Austria are now allies with Hungary and Croatia and Georgia want to abuse Russia? GIVE ME A BREAK!!

Russia should lead by example. It should show the world how a large, powerful country should behave, not simply use rhetoric and point to Western double-standards in order to justify its own actions - the same sort of thing.
    And no, it doesn't matter even if the West started first, or whatever, this is all childish and Russia should rise above it.
    I think that Russia disappointed a lot of people with these actions in the Crimea. Many were genuinely hoping for it to be an example of a more progressive, non-aggressive world power that stands for the principles of territorial integrity, non-interference in foreign affairs, etc... exactly what Lavrov has been talking about non-stop for the past 10 years!

It takes two to tango. This is no China who made virtually no aggressive wars the last 4000 years or the friendly India. You don't negotiate with a pit bull which tries to kill you.
    You first neutralize him, then you make him your puppy.

Now I'm no idealist, I realise that this isn't always possible and sometimes Russia will be forced into making a choice between the bad and the worse; such as when Georgia attacked in 2008. But even then, one can think of ways in which Russia could have avoided that situation, such as not using the Western support for Kosovan independence in order to justify the expansion of co-operation with Georgia's breakaway republics.
    Likewise here, it's becoming apparent that Russia had a good bit of reason in seizing the Crimea ahead of time; judging by the iron-fisted way in which Kiev has been crushing dissent in its Eastern regions and the military buildup that threatened to turn to a Ukrainian attack on Crimea just 2 nights ago. But again, Russia - by acting pre-emptively, may have created the threat, rather than prevented it; it has driven the Kiev putschist government into hysteria and has led to it beating the war drums among its own population; were Russia to have stayed its hand Kiev might not have been able to mobilise the popular support and manpower anyway.

It is called patronage. You have to know what is right or wrong not let West play the piano and dance accordingly. Russia wants to be accepted in West as no2 behind USA. This is never gonna happen. Your friends are those who befriended you, not those you like for your friends. We learn this at 15.

More than anything I'm quite impressed with China's tolerance and patience. In the US, hating on China and talking about its imperialist intentions or threats to its neighbours (not witnessed since the Chinese invasion of Vietnam in 1979 at the very least) is a popular theme but in actuality it all just reflects back on them.

Than you for giving me the opportunity Smile
    You are no China. China has 10 times your population and the best social coherence any nation can exhibit.
    Chinese have such insane social unity that managed to transform from communism to fascism peacefully, if you imagine!!
    Chinese can make it work by simply getting a huge economy. All projections predict that by 2050 will have a bigger economy than the entire west combined
    and they can easily ally with all their neighborhoods peacefully by simple creating economic ties because none else but India is even remotely close to them to put them in his club.
    Russia on the contrary is surrounded with NATO and EU countries, with developed countries and former colonialists, with traditional enemies, with Catholic countries with a completely different civilization, with Muslim countries, with Caucasian whites, Asian people, Turkish people, Nordic people a total mess.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Remove certain country out of NATO and voilà, Europe is safe and Russians are not pushed to the wall. I doubt Russians would mind military union with few nukes and no power shifting ABM plans. EU is not evil more or less failing union that strives to survive. Soon it will die it's own death anyway.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Doing it because the other side did it first is childish, but playing a serious game and imposing rules on yourself that your opponents can not only ignore but also use against you is even dumber.

Most people I know think the purpose of society is to set collective rules... and life is all about bending or breaking those rules to your advantage to help you get to a better place than everyone else... usually rich.

I personally think the law of the jungle should not apply within a modern society... if you want to live by jungle rules... go back to the jungle.

Society should be about the collective, about ensuring everyone has enough and is looked after and is safe.. Western society preaches that and on paper looks the best option but any financial hardships... usually caused by people being too greedy, and the first government programs to be cut are the ones that help those most in need.

BTW it is amusing but the west sees Russia as being this sleeping giant that when it wakes up will start invading its neighbours and taking territory... the irony is of course is that Russia is just like any other country and only wants to be surrounded by sensible like minded countries willing to trade and not be part of a military alliance whose purpose is to control you.
    arpakola
    arpakola

Post  arpakola Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 pm

flamming_python wrote:No doubt that NATO should be neutered, EU should be divided, and the US should be told to stick it where the sun don't shine.

1.Russia should lead by example. It should show the world how a large, powerful country should behave, not simply use rhetoric and point to Western double-standards in order to justify its own actions - the same sort of thing.
    2. I think that Russia disappointed a lot of people with these actions in the Crimea. Many were genuinely hoping for it to be an example of a more progressive, non-aggressive world power that stands for the principles of territorial integrity, non-interference in foreign affairs, etc... exactly what Lavrov has been talking about non-stop for the past 10 years!

Likewise here, it's becoming apparent that Russia had a good bit of reason in seizing the Crimea ahead of time; judging by the iron-fisted way in which Kiev has been crushing dissent in its Eastern regions and the military buildup that threatened to turn to a Ukrainian attack on Crimea just 2 nights ago. But again, Russia - by acting pre-emptively, may have created the threat, rather than prevented it; it has driven the Kiev putschist government into hysteria and has led to it beating the war drums among its own population; 3.were Russia to have stayed its hand Kiev might not have been able to mobilise the popular support and manpower anyway.

1. believe it or not Russia gave a good example. "we get what we deserve"
    2. Dont under estimate the amount of people Russia would disappoint is no action taken
    3. The international experience dictates.. grasp what you can now and secure it, and then let the others think on consequences. Don't worry too much to get "bravos" from NATO countries.. whatever you are doing they take it as weakness. The reason they respect and reason with their relation with Russia has a name.. TOPOL. ΝΑΤΟ is as the Babylon whore, they respect only money and fear

The main weekness of Russia at the moment is the week anti-propaganda war. Much more money have to spend on that. And of course the ideological frame must get  concrete , become clear and public. The backs and forths don't help (Libya). Don' t full Russians that NATO countries can be good friends if U show good will , this will never happen. Russia has to establish firmly its  ideological structure and identity and that cannot be served by some billionaires  whatever good will or intentions they may have.  

After Crimea,  Transdniester may be annexed if they want to (also ..very close to Odessa isnt it?)
    This will give momentum to all Russian areas in SE Ukraine to act , because decisiveness and hope is the unbeatable weapons. Other wise Kiev will swallow them with terror,  promises  and money
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    any way ..
    let them for a while to enjoy their new bosses
    The Situation in the Ukraine. #2 - Page 8 Dfdf

According to a report in Kommersant-Ukraine, the finance ministry of Washington’s stooges in Kiev who are pretending to be a government has prepared an economic austerity plan that will cut Ukrainian pensions from $160 to $80 so that Western bankers who lent money to Ukraine can be repaid at the expense of Ukraine’s poor.  http:/ / www .wikileaksparty.org.au/the-looting-of-ukraine-has-begun-by-paul-craig-roberts/

Last edited by arpakola on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 am; edited 4 times in total
    arpakola
    arpakola

Post  arpakola Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:15 pm

What Color is Ukraine’s ‘Color Revolution’?
    Washington whitewashes Ukraine’s brownshirts
    www,antiwar,com
    by Justin Raimondo, March 12, 2014

As the real nature of Ukraine’s "democratic" and allegedly "pro-Western" opposition becomes all too apparent, the pushback from the regime-change crowd borders on the comic. The War Party is stumbling all over itself in a frantic effort to cover up and deny the frightening provenance of the neo-fascist gang they’ve helped to seize power in Kiev.

First up to bat is Amelia M. Glaser, associate professor of Russian literature at the University of California, San Diego, who avers in the New York Times that the Ukrainian opposition couldn’t possibly be anti-Semitic because, "despite an anguished history":

"The past decade has been a time of significant rapprochement between Ukrainian Jews and their countrymen, particularly among cultural and intellectual figures. The National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy has partnered with the Association of Jewish Organizations and Communities of Ukraine to create a Jewish Studies degree program. Outside Ukraine, organizations like the Canada-based Ukrainian-Jewish Encounter Initiative have encouraged dialogue. Scholars of Ukrainian literature, like Myroslav Shkandrij of the University of Manitoba, and of Jewish history like Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern of Northwestern University, have helped to complicate the narrative of animosity, recalling Ukrainian writers’ varied portrayals of Jews as well as Jews who wrote in Ukrainian."

Well, that’s a relief: I was afraid all those white power symbols – including Confederate flags – adorning Kiev city hall and anti-Semitic rhetoric from Svoboda and Right Sector, was a sign of a neo-Nazi resurgence. I wondered whether Svoboda – which idolizes Stepan Bandera, leader of an armed gang that collaborated with the Nazis – and its torchlight parades signaled trouble. Luckily, a bunch of Westernized professors are having a "dialogue" with their Jewish counterparts: in the face of this scholarly group hug, there’s no need to worry about tens of thousands of protesters cheering Oleh Tyahnybok in the Maiden.

Tyahnybok, you’ll recall, was expelled from the Rada, or parliament, for making a speech denouncing the "Jewish Muscovite" conspiracy against Ukraine. According to Glaser, because a bunch of high-toned intellectuals are sitting around talking about Ukrainian literature, there’s no need to even acknowledge this shocking report from the Jewish Telegraphic Agency about the openly anti-Semitic rhetoric routinely voiced by all the major parties of the opposition, not just Svoboda and Right Sector.

If it’s easy to laugh at Glaser’s nearsightedness – she doesn’t mention the eight top-level positions held by Svoboda and Right Sector in the new government – it’s downright painful to contemplate Timothy Snyder’s two-part apologia for the ultra-nationalist coup leaders in the New York Review of Books. Part I emphasized the supposedly "moderate" tenor of the opposition, but recent developments – such as the composition of the new "interim" government – demanded an update. Now he is forced to acknowledge a severely edited version of the truth:

"The Ukrainian far right did play an important part in the revolution. What it did, in going to the barricades, was to liberate itself from the regime of which it had been one of the bulwarks. One of the moral atrocities of the Yanukovych regime was to crush opposition from the center-right, and support opposition from the far right. By imprisoning his major opponents from the legal political parties, most famously Yulia Tymoshenko, Yanukovych was able to make of democracy a game in which he and the far right were the only players."

That Yanukovich secretly plotted the resurgence of Ukrainian fascism has got to be one of the silliest conspiracy theories ever devised. Tymoshenko was crushed by her own corruption, i.e. outright thievery and worse. Snyder’s whitewashing of Svoboda, however, is particularly noteworthy in its forthright defense of a party with undeniably fascist roots and organizational links. "In fact," he confides:

"Svoboda was a house opposition that, during the revolution, rebelled against its own leadership. Against the wishes of their leaders, the radical youth of Svoboda fought in considerable numbers, alongside of course people of completely different views. They fought and they took risks and they died, sometimes while trying to save others. In the post-revolutionary situation these young men will likely seek new leadership. The leader of Svoboda, according to opinion polls, has little popular support; if he chooses to run for president, which is unlikely, he will lose."

As Svoboda’s prominence and growing power draws increased scrutiny to its origins and ideology, Western cheerleaders for the coup leaders must resort to desperate measures, and I have to admit this is an ingenious one – although perhaps only in the NYRB could one get away with such a word-cloud of obfuscating rhetoric. Svoboda is reborn in the purifying flames of the Revolution, its history, including recent history erased. In a variant of the "look-over-here" strategy, Snyder says "Right Sector is the group to watch," oh but don’t worry because:

"For the time being, its leaders have been very careful, in conversations with both Jews and Russians, to stress that their goal is political and not ethnic or racial. In the days after the revolution they have not caused violence or disorder. On the contrary, the subway runs in Kiev."

Yes, and Mussolini made the trains run on time. One has to wonder about Snyder’s choice of metaphors. He fails to mention that Right Sector Fuehrer Dymtro Yorash has been named deputy head of security, i.e. the police. Nor does he mention the eight prominent positions held by Svoboda and Right Sector in the new government.

Outside the "we are all Ukrainians now" bubble, however, people are sitting up and taking notice. A Reuters piece spotlights the general uneasiness about the exact color of this latest US-sponsored "color revolution":

"When protest leaders in Ukraine helped oust a president widely seen as corrupt, they became heroes of the barricades. But as they take places in the country’s new government, some are facing uncomfortable questions about their own values and associations, not least alleged links to neo-fascist extremists."

Citing Svoboda and Right Sector, the piece reports in some detail the long history of Svoboda as the inheritor of the Banderist tradition, which extols the World War II Nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera. However, "experts" are supposedly "divided" over Svoboda, with one condemning it as "neo-fascist" and the other explaining the party is "not now" fascist and anti-Semitic. US government officials echo this latter line:

"A U.S. official said one of the main reasons that McCain and other Americans met Tyahnybok, who does not have a position in the new Ukrainian government, was because he headed one of the three principal opposition factions leading the Ukrainian protests. The US government says Svoboda is moving away from extremism and trying to become a more conventional political party.

“’Since entering the Ukrainian Parliament in October 2012, the Svoboda leadership has been working to take their party in a more moderate direction and to become a modern, European mainstream political party,’ a senior US official told Reuters. ‘The leadership has been much more vigilant about expelling or otherwise punishing individual members who engage in xenophobic behavior or rhetoric.’”

The idea that Svoboda is "moving away from extremism" wasn’t demonstrated when the first act of the newly reconstituted Rada passed a Svoboda-supported bill banning the use of Russian as a second official language throughout Ukraine (including Crimea). The legislation was later vetoed by the executive branch. I’m not surprised these US officials won’t talk on the record: it’s a sorry day indeed when defending the entrance of "reformed" neo-Nazis into a US-supported government is all in a day’s work for this administration.

Reuters reports practically everything first reported here, but they get the number of Svoboda members slightly skewed:

"Two of the groups under most scrutiny are Svoboda, whose members hold five senior roles in Ukraine’s new government including the post of deputy prime minister, and Pravyi Sector (Right Sector), whose leader Dmytro Yarosh is now the country’s Deputy Secretary of National Security."

Depending on what you mean by "senior," this downplays the extremists’ strength: the correct number is actually eight, as I pointed out here. In any case, I don’t know which is more alarming: the entrance into government of a party that traces its origins back to a fighting battalion affiliated with Hitler’s SS, or the sight of US officials whitewashing it. They’re flying the Confederate flag and the Celtic cross in Kiev, and the first African American President is hailing them as liberators. That’s one for the history books!

www,defence-point.gr/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Crimea_Sea_Hydrocarbons.jpg

Last edited by arpakola on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 pm

OK compatriot, don't forget to go to introduce yourself according to the rules.
    arpakola
    arpakola

Post  arpakola Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Hannibal Barca wrote:OK compatriot, don't forget to go to introduce yourself according to the rules.

From Greece
    done my bit in infantry on a Greek Island (some decades ago)
    and proud for my compatriot Kovatidi
    The Situation in the Ukraine. #2 - Page 8 3-big

Last edited by arpakola on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    arpakola
    arpakola

The Situation in the Ukraine. #2 - Page 8 Empty any idea ?

Post  arpakola Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 am

xeno

Post  xeno Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:49 am

Putin has highest rating to gain 70% in case of election next Sunday
    http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/723166
    The news especially for one of our forum members...
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 am

Werewolf wrote:
    TR1 wrote:http://lenta.ru/info/posts/statement/

Lenta.ru is just retarded, i remember an interview with Khordokowsky, where the female reporter always made stupid remarks like "you were jailed innocent and for no reason".  Well if you consider 72 murders, at least 780 bln USD stolen directly from russian economy and selling out russian companies to west which were worth over the years trlns the russian economy, as not illegal than he must be innocent.

They can stomp down this entire western slave "journalists" and this firm.

You are judging an entire website by one interview?

There are many contributors to Lenta, and they take articles from other places too.

Nonetheless it has been a good site over the years.
    A Kremlin shill being the editor in chief is horrible news.

Who the hell wants their media to be checked by the gov before it is OKed?
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 am

Thom Hartmann talks with Stephen Cohen

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:05 pm