Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+43
sepheronx
thegopnik
caveat emptor
Podlodka77
Krepost
kvs
miketheterrible
miroslav
Rasisuki Nebia
The_Observer
Arkanghelsk
Broski
Shadåw
Granger
marat
calripson
Russian_Patriot_
ALAMO
lancelot
Lurk83
mnztr
TMA1
medo
Tai Hai Chen
Maximmmm
marcellogo
hoom
PapaDragon
LMFS
lyle6
flamming_python
The-thing-next-door
Big_Gazza
walle83
Begome
George1
franco
Isos
limb
owais.usmani
Arrow
Hole
AJ-47
47 posters

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 Empty Re: Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2

Post  Podlodka77 Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:47 am

11/15/2022
    TASS

A new stealth superstructure was installed on the corvette "Prvovorniy" instead of the burned-out one

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 Provor10
    Russian patrol ship (corvette) "Prvovorniy" project 20385.
    Image source: http://sdelanounas.ru/

General Director of the Sredne-Nevsky Shipyard Vladimir Seredokho said that the structure was made in six months

ST. PETERSBURG, November 14. /TASS/. A new stealth superstructure instead of the burnt out as a result of the fire was installed on the Project 20385 Prvovorniy corvette. This was announced to TASS on Monday by the general director of the Sredne-Nevsky Shipbuilding Plant (SNSZ) Vladimir Seredokho.

"Today, a new superstructure was installed on the Prvovorniy corvette," he said, noting that the structure was completed in just six months.

The construction of corvettes of projects 20380, 20385 and 20386 is carried out in the north-west of Russia by the Severnaya Verf plant, which on Monday celebrated 110 years since its founding. Plastic stealth add-ons for them are manufactured by SNSZ. Both enterprises are part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation.

The fire on the Prvovorniy corvette under construction in St. Petersburg broke out on December 17 last year. As a result of the fire, the ship's hull was not damaged, only the ship's superstructure was subject to dismantling.

https://vpk.name/news/653690_na_korvete_provornyi_ustanovili_novuyu_stels-nadstroiku_vmesto_vygorevshei.html

GarryB, George1, Big_Gazza, kvs, 4channer, Hole and Broski like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 Empty Re: Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2

Post  lancelot Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:01 am

I doubt it is plastic. Probably some composite including fiberglass.

GarryB likes this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:23 am

lancelot wrote:I doubt it is plastic. Probably some composite including fiberglass.

Why does that surprise you, journalists are usually ignorant idiots. Very Happy
    This is far more accurate...
    The superstructure of the ship goes from side to side and is made of multilayer composite materials (non-flammable multilayer fiberglass and structural materials based on carbon fiber), which was carried out taking into account the requirements of low radar visibility.

GarryB likes this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:30 am

It is fiberglass.
    Remember back in Dec21 we talked about that, remember? Very Happy

GarryB likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:02 pm

thanks for all the naval news Pod, I just still dream about Russia's destroyer class projects.

GarryB and Podlodka77 like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:27 pm

thegopnik wrote:thanks for all the naval news Pod, I just still dream about Russia's destroyer class projects.

You're welcome my friend, I'm trying... welcome
    News from the field of the Navy is also my favorite.
    I watch other news and copy them here if I think they're significant, but the Navy is my favorite.
    As for the destroyer, we'll see.
    The loss of "Moskva" is a great warning to all large surface warships in the whole world.
    It is possible that the Russians will no longer build surface warships with a full displacement of more than 10,000 tons.
    I mean only "strike" ships, like frigates or destroyers, not amphibious ships or carriers.
    If the Russians decide to build destroyers, then I think that nuclear propulsion is the best solution and the installation of RITM-200 nuclear reactors, which have already been tested and verified on Project 22220 nuclear icebreakers.

The first 4 frigates of the project 22350 have two UKSK with 16 cells (tubes) for anti-ship and cruise missiles, as well as 32 cells for the air defense system 9K96 Redut. The next 4 frigates were announced to be increased by one more UKSK (a total of 3 UKSK with 24 missiles) and maybe even 4 UKSK - 4 UKSK with 32 missiles.
    The increase in air defense kit for 9K96 was not announced on these frigates.
    I think the ideal solution for the 22350M would be at least 4 UKSKs with 32 cells, 48 ​​cells for the 9K96 Redut and the mandatory installation of an air defense system that would be a naval variant of the Tor-M2 or Pantsir-SM.
    And for destroyers, I'm sure they will have over 48 cells with at least 6 UKSK, although I think the Russians will go for the 8 X 8 variant, that is 64 cells.
    I assume that these destroyers will certainly receive a significant addition in the form of anti-missile defense with missiles from the "Prometheus" system.

zepia, thegopnik, Hole and gc3762 like this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:10 pm

I want the Lider class destroyers specifically, because of these following specs,

Anti-ship and cruise missiles (more than 100 3S14 universal cells):
    Kalibr-NK cruise missile
    3M22 Zircon hypersonic anti-ship cruise missile
    Air defense missiles:
    S-500 air defense system (56 cells)
    Redut medium-range air defense system (16 cells)
    3 × Pantsir-M SAM/gun systems
    Artillery:
    1 × 1 × A-192M Armat 130-mm naval gun
    Anti-submarine warfare:
    2 × 6 × Paket-NK dual use anti-torpedo/anti-submarine torpedoes

I want the S-500 option, good news is that on august work is still resumed and the project is not cancelled. perhaps after the war when they rebuild ukraine and get a bigger economy they can continue. I hope its more of an economic decision thing. To me at best smaller class ships dont have these powerful air defenses which is why I barely look on the ship section but submarine sections instead.

Hole, gc3762 and TMA1 like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:21 am

It is possible that the Russians will no longer build surface warships with a full displacement of more than 10,000 tons.
    I mean only "strike" ships, like frigates or destroyers, not amphibious ships or carriers.
    If the Russians decide to build destroyers, then I think that nuclear propulsion is the best solution and the installation of RITM-200 nuclear reactors, which have already been tested and verified on Project 22220 nuclear icebreakers.

That is a contradiction right there... nuclear powered destroyers will be more than 10K tons... the primary advantage of nuclear propulsion is plenty of power meaning bigger ship with more weapons and bigger sensors and longer endurance.

I am disappointed that the new helicopter carriers are not nuclear powered to be honest.

Russia wont be able to afford hundreds of destroyers and dozens of cruisers, so they need to be very well armed and equipped...

Anti-ship and cruise missiles (more than 100 3S14 universal cells):
    Kalibr-NK cruise missile
    3M22 Zircon hypersonic anti-ship cruise missile

The Modified Kirovs have 80 UKSK tubes or 10 launchers, so I would suspect 6 would be standard for their destroyers.

S-500 air defense system (56 cells)
    Redut medium-range air defense system (16 cells)
    3 × Pantsir-M SAM/gun systems

With air defence I would expect the redut system on a destroyer would have the capacity to carry larger numbers of missiles, but would also expect laser drone defence systems as currently being tested in the Ukraine conflict would also improve defence from a range of threats too.

Near future very small SAMs with ARH and short range and 3kg warhead with direct target contact hit design to destroy incoming artillery shells and rockets in enormous numbers would be valuable.

Artillery:
    1 × 1 × A-192M Armat 130-mm naval gun

They have deployed 130mm guns on Frigates, I would expect a destroy would carry a 152mm gun with all the advantages of extra range and accuracy they are achieving with the new land based Coalition guns. I would hope a new 203mm gun would be in the design stage for Cruisers and also coastal defence gun batteries... a 200km range 110kg HE round would be very useful for defence and attack on board a cruiser.

To me at best smaller class ships dont have these powerful air defenses which is why I barely look on the ship section but submarine sections instead.

On land it is the small missiles that are the hardest to find and deal with, but at sea a small ship is hard to hide, so it is better to use bigger ships or use lots of smaller ships together to improve protection in a collective way.

There is nothing on land or at sea or in the air or even in space that is totally safe, but an enemy force that combines surface systems and air systems working together are the most difficult to defeat...

Big_Gazza and Broski like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:49 am

GarryB wrote:It is possible that the Russians will no longer build surface warships with a full displacement of more than 10,000 tons.
    If the Russians decide to build destroyers, then I think that nuclear propulsion is the best solution and the installation of RITM-200 nuclear reactors, which have already been tested and verified on Project 22220 nuclear icebreakers

That is a contradiction right there... nuclear powered destroyers will be more than 10K tons... the primary advantage of nuclear propulsion is plenty of power meaning bigger ship with more weapons and bigger sensors and longer endurance.

I am disappointed that the new helicopter carriers are not nuclear powered to be honest.

Russia wont be able to afford hundreds of destroyers and dozens of cruisers, so they need to be very well armed and equipped...

GARRY, I was thinking that if the Russians decide to build ships with a larger displacement, it would be preferable if they decided to build nuclear-powered ships, primarily destroyers. And for the project of 23900 universal detachment ships, as the Russians call them, the decision is as it is.
    GOPNIK is a good man, it seems to me, but the armament he mentioned requires the displacement of a World War II battleship.  thumbsup
    If I were the Russians, I would have built ships with a slightly larger displacement than the Chinese Type-055, with mandatory nuclear propulsion and slightly more launch tubes (cells) than the 112 on the Type-055.
    It would be ideal if there were as many launch tubes on the potential Russian destroyers as on the Type-055 (anti-ship, cruise missiles and S-500) but with all that there should be additional room for the 9K96 Redut (such a ship cannot rely only on long-range missiles from the S-500 system), as well as a short-range air defense system like Tor-M2 or Pantsir-SM. The amount of anti-submarine weapons must also be increased.

Yes, these would certainly be ships close to 200 meters long and with a displacement of about 16 to 18000 tons, but again significantly lighter than project 1144. Something between project 1164 and 1144 is the ideal measure.
    And to be honest I think even 8 UKSK for 64 missiles is more than enough + 48 for S-500 (64 in UKSK and 48 for S-500 is 112 in total), as well as at least 32 for 9K96 Redut. And with all that, a short-range air defense system is mandatory.
    Imagine a destroyer with 32 hypersonic 3M22 Zircon missiles, while the rest of the missiles can be of a different type...  thumbsup

[/quote]

GarryB likes this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:13 am

Got a question. With the oldest variant of these corvettes I know they have 8 kh-35 sea skimming missiles and twelve cells I think of the seabourn variant of the s350 anti aircraft missiles. The thing I cannot figure out is that the older corvette model doesnt seem to have the four phases arrays of the newer corvette variant. How does the older corvette guide its surface to air missiles? The dome seen on the top I think is for long distance and over the horizon surface search, am I right? Which radar on these corvettes tracks enemy aircraft? Is it that circular one that sticks out a bit? As you can tell I am very ignorant on this stuff, particularly when it comes to naval craft.
    Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:13 pm

Below are the characteristics of the export version of the Furke-E radar
    The "Zaslon" (screen) is much better, and is installed on all corvettes from Hero of the Russian Federation Aldar Tsydenzhapov and 20385 corvettes.

Furke-E (variant 1)        Furke-E (variant 2)     Furke-E (V3)                                        

Frequency band                                                                                                                 Super high frequency
    Speed of rotation                                                                                                                      ​​6-30 rpm
    frequency range                                                                                   UHF                                  SHF                   UHF
    Elevation angles                                                                                                                            80°
    Rаnge view area, km                                                                            60                                    150                    60
    View area in azimuth,                                                                         ° 360                                360                    360
    View area in elevation,                                                                          ° 6                                    4                      15
    Surface target trajectory detection range                                                                      0.95–1.4 radio horizon
    Air target trajectory detection range with RCS 1 m²                                 60                                  120                  52; 60
    Range view area, km                                                                            40                                  100                       60
    View area in azimuth,                                                                          ° 360                               360                     360
    View area in elevation,                                                                         ° 60                                  80                         30
    Height viewing area, km                                                                         15                                  20                          –
    Air target trajectory detection range with EPR 1 m²;                                 30                                  72                         52
    Detection range of anti-ship missile trajectory with EPR 0.02 m²
    at a height of 5 m at an antenna post height of 21 m;                              10                                12–14                       12
    Suppression of reflections from stationary objects, dB                            50–55                             50–55                   50–55
    Coordinate measurement accuracy
    – by range, m;                                                                                      50                                   50                         50
    – in azimuth, etc.                                                                                 4–6                                 4–6                         3–4
    – in elevation, etc.                                                                                8–9                                  5–7                          –
    Resolution
    – in range, m                                                                                   150–200                           150–200                150–200
    – in azimuth, °                                                                                     3.2                                  3.2                            2.0
    Number of simultaneously tracked targets                                              100                                 200                            50
    Energy consumption, kW                                                                        8                                    25                             7.5
    Mass of the radar, kg                                                                           1100                               2450                           860
    Equipment weight, kg                                                                           420                                 890                             90
    Mean time between failures, h                                                               850                                  850                          850

Surface illumination radar "Monument-A", designed to detect surface and coastal targets, issue target designation and control of missile weapons (URO). The station is three-coordinate, operates in active and passive modes. In active mode, with normal radar observability, the detection range is up to 50 km, with increased radar observability up to 100 km, and in the presence of the superrefraction effect, up to 250 km. In passive mode, the station provides detection of radiation from operating transmitters of surface ships, depending on the frequency range and power of electronic equipment from 50 to 500 km.
    The antenna post is located in the fore mast turret and has a narrow radiation pattern when scanning space in the forward sector of the ship, which ensures high accuracy in pointing missiles and machine guns at surface and coastal targets.

hydroacoustic complex
    The Zarya-2 underwater illumination system is designed to detect submarines (submarines), attacking torpedoes and surface ships (NS) in sonar and noise direction finding modes using under-beam and towed antennas. The complex provides automatic tracking of targets, determination of coordinates and parameters of movement of targets, hydroacoustic communication with submarines and NK and their identification, control of interference during operation, as well as automated classification of targets with division into classes: Submarine, surface ships, torpedo, false target and automatic continuous monitoring of functioning, diagnostics with troubleshooting. The HJC has a path with a wing antenna located in the nose bulb fairing and a path with a towed GAS "Vignetka-M" in the stern of the ship, which allows you to simultaneously track up to 10 different targets with a probability of correct classification - 0.8. The energy range of detection of submarines in the directional radiation mode with a winged antenna is up to 19 km, and the accuracy of determining coordinates by distance is 1.1% of the value of the set range scale and 1 ° by bearing.

hydroacoustic complex
    towed "Vignette", designed for anti-submarine defense, protection of water areas, escort of a convoy of ships and patrols. The station uses a flexible extended towed antenna (GPBA) and a low-frequency emitter towed behind the stern of the ship, which ensures effective detection of low-noise submarines with a 180 ° viewing sector from the port and starboard sides at a distance of up to 60 km in deep water and up to 20 km in shallow water in sonar mode. The accuracy of determining the coordinates of targets in the automatic tracking mode is 1% of the value of the set range scale and 2 ° in bearing. Simultaneously with the sonar, the GAS is operating in the noise direction finding mode, which makes it possible to detect torpedoes at a distance of up to 15 km, submarines - up to 20 km, and surface ships - up to 100 km. Target direction finding accuracy is 2°. The HAC is used when the sea is up to 5 points and the towing speed is up to 14 knots.

The MR-231-2 navigation radar is designed to illuminate the navigation situation and solve navigation problems and provides an all-round view. A 3 cm waveband station has a transmitter power of 4 kW. The parabolic antenna with a rotation diameter of 1.6 meters is combined with state identification antennas. The LCD indicator with a 15" monitor has an effective radar image diameter of 210 mm, range scales in the range of 0.125; 0.25; 0.5; 0.75; 1.5; 3; 6; 12; 24; 48 miles and displays the heading, speed, geographic coordinates, current time and depth under the keel. The radar performs automatic tracking of up to 30 targets with an indication of movement parameters and playback of a maneuver for divergence, auto-detection and signaling of the presence of targets in a security zone, data output to the display system of marine electronic charts, traces of relative or true movement of targets with adjustable time of their duration, image stabilization and graphical information regarding water and soil, as well as monitoring and troubleshooting.

The electronic warfare radar (EW) TK-25-2 is designed to detect the radiation of operating ship and aircraft radars, as well as missile homing heads (GOS) and create active interference for them. The complex has 4 antenna posts for detecting radiation and 2 antenna posts for active countermeasures, located side by side on the foremast.
    The electronic warfare complex provides:
    automated reconnaissance and identification of various types of radar emissions in a complex electromagnetic environment;
       * automated creation of active jamming and management of passive jamming;
      *  automated solution of EW tasks, coordinated with the solution of tasks of air defense and missile defense fire weapons of a surface ship;
       * synchronization of the work of the radio-electronic means of the ship in order to ensure electromagnetic compatibility.

The complex has an open structure, which allows for further modification in relation to the composition of electronic weapons and placement on a surface ship. In order to increase the effectiveness of the protection of the ship against anti-ship missiles (ASM), together with the EW complex, 4 PK-10 "Smelly" passive jamming systems were installed on the ship, two on board in the aft sector and two on board in the bow sector.

CICS "Sigma-20380"
    is a combat information and control system designed for combat control of a ship and a tactical formation based on the integration of electronic weapons into a single complex and automation of the processes of developing and making decisions on the combat use of forces and their weapons.
    The system consists of:

* From the automated workstation (AWS) of the ship commander, for collecting, processing and displaying information about the tactical situation from various sources of information, including helicopters and ships of the formation, as well as information about the state of the ship's combat assets;
    * From the workplace (RM) of the helmsman, to control the movement of the ship;
    * From the automated workplace (AWS) of a watch officer, for navigation, navigation, tactical maneuvering and safety of navigation of the ship, solving the process of documenting information about the situation, navigation circumstances, the state of the combat and technical means of the ship and the results of solving information and calculation tasks, information support for command personnel ship in the fight for damage;
    * From the automated workplace (AWS) of the navigator, to solve the process of ensuring navigational safety of navigation and other navigational tasks, as well as correcting electronic navigational charts;
    * From the database device;
    * From the automated workplace (AWS) of the commander of the BS-7, for the exchange of information on HF, VHF radio communications and satellite communications systems;
    * From the automated workstation (AWS) of the head of the air defense, to control the air defense of the ship and the tactical formation;
    * From the communication device;
    * From an automated workstation (AWS) of anti-submarine and anti-missile defense operators, to control the fight against underwater targets and the fight against surface targets by a ship and a tactical formation;
    * From the workstation (AWS) of the operator-tablet operator BC-7, to display the surface, underwater and air situation on an electronic tablet, as well as saving the displayed information on electronic media;
    * From the automated workstation (AWS) of the LAK takeoff and landing operator, to control the takeoff and landing of a helicopter under any weather conditions;
    A post for monitoring near-air and surface conditions, for the exchange of radar information, mutual orientation, individual identification and identification;
    * From the automated workstation (AWS) of the operator of the combat control of the LAC and attached aviation, to control the flight of an anti-submarine helicopter, as well as the actions of attached fighter and attack aircraft;
    * From the automated workstation (AWS) of the system control operator, for network diagnostics and display of equipment and systems malfunctions;
    * From the device interface with the radar.
    * From the devices of the power supply system.

The Sigma-20380 system provides training of personnel against the background of a simulated tactical environment, documenting information and displaying it on flat-panel liquid crystal indicators, protection against unauthorized and incorrect user actions, registration of each incoming / outgoing signal / package / form on hard magnetic disks with binding in time, with an accuracy of 1 ms, transferring documented episodes to an external medium, as well as their playback in real, accelerated and slow time scales, as well as displaying information on a scoreboard for collective use - from any workstation.

The fire control and control system of the universal 100-mm artillery "Puma-20380" consists of:

* From the artillery fire control device (PUAO) "Puma-20380" which includes:
      * central firing machine (calculating device), which, based on incoming data from the 5P-10-02 Puma control radar, controls 1 100-mm caliber installation at the same time issuing data for firing at 2 most threatening targets, taking into account the maneuver and movement of its ship , and also carries out the input of corrections for misses during shooting.
    * Television sight and laser rangefinder.
    * Equipment for selection of moving targets and noise protection.
    * The means of detection and target designation is the Fourke airborne surveillance radar or the Monument-A surface illumination radar.
    * After receiving target designation, up to 4 targets are simultaneously automatically taken to escort the 5P-10-02 "Puma" firing radar.
    * Simulator-simulator for monitoring the functioning of the system as a whole without radiation into space, carrying out adjustment and adjustment work, ensuring firing at a simulated target, and conducting combat crew training.

The 5P-10-02 "Puma" fire control radar is designed to control the fire of automatic gun mounts (AU) of 30-mm, 76-mm, 100-mm and 130-mm calibers, as well as unguided rocket weapons (NRO) of 122-caliber mm and 140 mm. The station allows you to track surface, air and coastal targets and controls the firing of one gun of a universal 100-mm caliber.The radar with a phased antenna array (PAR), with a television sight and an optoelectronic (laser) sight, automatically tracks up to 4 targets at a distance of up to 60 km without interference and 50 km if they are available, allowing selection of moving targets according to their degree of threat. The station has a field of view in azimuth of 180 °, and in elevation - 40 ° and a response time to air targets up to 5 seconds, surface targets - 10 seconds. and coastal - 15 sec. with the time of transferring fire to the next target in the stream - up to 1 sec. Illumination of the situation and reflection of current information is carried out on multifunctional displays using liquid crystal indicators (LCD) with an active matrix.

The fire control system of the universal 30-mm artillery "Bagira-20380" consists of:

From the artillery fire control device (PUAO) "Bagira-20380" which includes:
          * a central firing machine (calculating device), which, based on the data received from the MR-123-02 "Bagheera" control radar, controls 2 30-mm caliber installations giving out data for firing, taking into account the maneuver and movement of its ship, as well as input corrections for misses during shooting.
          * Television sight and laser rangefinder.
           * Equipment for selection of moving targets and noise protection.
           * The main means of target designation is the Furke air traffic control radar.
    After receiving the target designation, the target is automatically taken to escort the MR-123-02 "Bagira" firing radar.
    Simulator-simulator for monitoring the functioning of the system as a whole without radiation into space, carrying out adjustment and adjustment work, ensuring firing at a simulated target, and conducting combat crew training.

The MR-123-02 "Bagira" fire control radar is designed to control the fire of automatic anti-aircraft gun mounts (AU) of 30-mm, 57-mm, 76-mm and 100-mm calibers and unguided rocket weapons (NRO) of 122-mm and 140 mm. The decimeter wave station allows you to determine the range and track surface, air and coastal targets to control the firing of guns of a universal 30-mm caliber. The radar automatically tracks targets at a distance of up to 45 km without interference and 30 km if they are present, allowing you to automatically track up to 2 targets simultaneously and fire at them with different AU and NRO, select moving targets and has a field of view of 40 °, and also provides noise immunity of the artillery fire control system. Illumination of the situation and reflection of current information is carried out on multifunctional indicators using liquid crystal indicators (LCD) with an active matrix.

Big_Gazza, thegopnik, Hole and TMA1 like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:16 am

Yes, these would certainly be ships close to 200 meters long and with a displacement of about 16 to 18000 tons, but again significantly lighter than project 1144. Something between project 1164 and 1144 is the ideal measure.
    And to be honest I think even 8 UKSK for 64 missiles is more than enough + 48 for S-500 (64 in UKSK and 48 for S-500 is 112 in total), as well as at least 32 for 9K96 Redut. And with all that, a short-range air defense system is mandatory.

Some people go mental with launch tube numbers and don't really think about how much it would actually cost to load all those tubes with weapons and systems.

New Russians destroyers wont need more missiles than their new cruisers, and while the Orlans will carry lots of missiles potentially, there is no reason for new destroyers to carry more missiles than upgraded cruisers and to then have new Cruisers with even more missiles.

There is certainly something to be said for arsenal type ships, but I think obsolete military types should be used instead of civilian container ships as an example.

Having one oiler tanker ship of 350K tons carrying thousands of missiles all ready to fire, might sound really useful in a conflict, but it would also be a very desirable target and if a missile misfires and starts a fire and the whole ship explodes with the force of a small nuclear weapon how is that going to help the war you are fighting?

I would say obsolete SSBNs would be excellent... most have plenty of life left and even the oldest models would still be near impossible for Russias enemies to find and deal with... they could sail around launching missiles from all sorts of places thanks to the range of the Kh-101 missiles, and in terms of dealing with an enemy sub threat its launch tubes can include Otvet missiles too.

The orlan class was designed in the 1970s and was designed as a flagship... most of the equipment on board has been replaced with modular systems... as an example the SS-N-14 anti sub weapons and the Granit anti ship weapons have been replaced by UKSK launch tubes, the Orlan was the first ship to have vertical launch missiles so its design is a good basis for new vertical launch missiles, but being a first gen vertical launch craft many of the systems were clumsy... the Fort SAM missile system required under deck access to the launch tubes so it used single launch hatches with revolving missile tube systems with 8 missile tubes per single hatch and a rotary mechanism to move each missile tube to the hatch for launch or for loading or for unloading.

New systems should just be one hatch for each missile tube with no moving parts and electronic monitoring of the health and condition of the missile.

It was similar for Dagger (naval TOR) where there was a rotary missile rack with 8 missiles to each launch hatch... the old missiles are rather large and quite capable... the new missiles are much smaller and also much better. Fixed missile tube arrays is much simpler and cheaper and with lower maintenance costs and improved performance. If a hatch failed to open on the old ship, that was 8 missiles that could no longer be launched until fixed...

All the electronics in the flag ship will be much more compact and efficient and vastly more powerful and able to do a much better job...

You could probably build a ship half the size of the Orlan with 10 times more fire power and capacity in every regard, and with new nuclear power generation systems being used on ice breakers, the potential for propulsion is going to be impressive.

In terms of air defence 152mm and 57mm guns will add to the potent power of 30mm guns and CIWS missiles... the Orlan is big enough to have both so in land based systems terms it had Kashtan which is Tunguska and Pantsir, and it had Dagger, which is TOR, and it has S-300.

A new ship will have S-500 at top tier plus S-400 and S-350 combined in the Redut system, and 9M100 in that system too, plus TOR and Pantsir, as well as 57mm and 30mm guns.

Automation will keep crew size rather small, but perhaps having extra bunkage for extra troops to be carried will allow them to keep up with maintenance, plus have security groups they could drop off with Russian flagged ships around the world as needed, plus they could include drone operators of surface, subsurface, and aerial drones...
    Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:38 pm

December 2, 12:05

Corvette "Mercury" entered the Gulf of Finland for the final stage of factory testing
    Within a few days, the crew of the Mercury will check the maneuvering characteristics of the corvette

ST. PETERSBURG, December 2. /TASS/. Corvette "Mercury", built at the "Severnaya Verf" in St. Petersburg, entered the Gulf of Finland for the final stage of factory sea trials. This was reported to journalists on Friday at the Department of Information and Mass Communications of the RF Ministry of Defense.

"The Mercury corvette, built by the Severnaya Verf enterprise, entered the Gulf of Finland of the Baltic Sea to conduct the final stage of factory sea trials. The start of the trials was reported to the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Nikolai Evmenov, at a meeting on surface shipbuilding, which was held at the Admiralty," - the message says.
    According to the Ministry of Defense, within a few days, the Mercury crew will check the maneuverability of the corvette, the performance of systems, mechanisms and weapons, after which they will return to the plant to fix the last problems before state tests.

Mercury is the fifth project 20380 ship built at Severnaya Verf (part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation). The basis of the anti-ship armament of the project is the Uran missile system consisting of two four-container inclined launchers with an ammunition load of 8 Kh-35U anti-ship missiles with a firing range of up to 260 km.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/16484985

GarryB, Big_Gazza, LMFS, Hole and Broski like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:03 pm

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 Fi95zi10

GarryB, George1, Big_Gazza, zardof, 4channer, lyle6, lancelot and like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:35 am

The Russian Navy may receive an unscheduled stealth corvette. We are talking about a new Project 20380 ship of the Steregushchy type. It was supposed that the series would be finished, but the decision was revised. Experts suggest that this is due to the need to load production capacities while promising ships remain at the development stage. Izvestia worked with experts to find out what kind of novelty it is and which fleet it can get into.
    New series

The issue of building a new corvette of project 20380 is currently being worked out, sources in the military department told Izvestia. The ship is expected to be laid down next year at Severnaya Verf, where corvettes are being built for the Baltic and Black Sea fleets. Prior to this, it was believed that the construction of a series of such ships at this enterprise would be completed: the last hull of Project 20380 was laid there in 2015.

Full article: https://translated.turbopages.org/proxy_u/ru-en.en.f444545a-63930e18-287263c2-74722d776562/https/iz.ru/1437796/roman-kretcul/tam-ne-vidno-budet-vmf-poluchit-eshche-odin-stels-korvet

GarryB, zardof and LMFS like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:10 pm

Severnaya Verf should just be building Project 22350 frigates. What a waste of space. Build more frigates.

PapaDragon and Rasisuki Nebia like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 pm

MIL.PRESS FLOTPROM
    December 15, 2022 at 15:05 Subject: Industry

State tests of the corvette "Mercury" have begun

The latest corvette "Mercury" project 20380, built at the "Northern Shipyard", has begun a program of state tests in the sea ranges of the Baltic Fleet. As reported on Thursday, December 15, in the press service of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, this was reported to the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Nikolai Evmenov.

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 Aa_aaa11

According to the military department, representatives of the factory commissioning team, together with the crew of the ship and members of the state selection committee, are conducting maneuvering and high-speed tests of the ship, checking the operation of all units, systems and assemblies, weapons, navigation and radio equipment.
    After the marine part of the test program, the ship's equipment will be revised. Specialists of Severnaya Verf will conduct a control opening of mechanisms and instruments, specialists and members of the state commission will assess the general condition of the corvette, its equipment and all the means available on it.

After the acceptance certificate is signed with the customer and the certificate is approved by the Commander-in-Chief of the Navy, a date will be set for the acceptance of the corvette into the fleet.

Mercury is the fifth Project 20380 corvette built for the Russian Navy at Severnaya Verf. The ship was laid down in February 2015 under the name Zealous, but in 2021 the fleet command decided to rename the corvette.

Sea trials of the ship started in September 2022. In early December, the corvette entered the final stage of the factory tests.

https://flotprom.ru/2022/%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F%D0%92%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%84%D1%8C12/

GarryB, Big_Gazza and Hole like this post

Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:26 pm

RIA Novosti

Corvette "Mercury" during state tests hit a target in the Baltic Sea

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 16314210

Corvette "Mercury" during the state tests hit the ship of a mock enemy with artillery

MOSCOW, December 25 - RIA Novosti. The newest project 20380 corvette "Mercury" during state tests in the Baltic Sea hit a target imitating an enemy ship from artillery mounts, the press service of the Baltic Fleet reported on Sunday.

"In accordance with the plan for the final stage of state tests of the Mercury corvette at a training ground located in the Baltic Sea, the ship's crew successfully fired AK-190 and AK-630 artillery mounts at a sea shield that imitates a mock enemy ship," the report says. .

It is noted that the shooting was carried out in a difficult jamming environment with the use of electronic countermeasures by the "enemy". The designated target was hit by dense artillery fire, the press service stressed.
    The sea range of the Baltic Fleet, where the exercise took place, was declared temporarily dangerous for civilian navigation.

Mercury is a Russian guided missile corvette, the fifth project 20380 ship built at Severnaya Shipyard. It is designed to patrol the near and far sea zone, as well as to combat enemy surface ships, submarines and aircraft. Can also support troops.

https://vpk.name/news/668837_korvet_merkurii_vo_vremya_gosispytanii_porazil_mishen_v_baltiiskom_more.html

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Military review

Project 20380 corvette "Rezkiy" built for the Pacific Fleet started passing state tests

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 Postro12
    Photo; topwar.ru

The newest multi-purpose corvette "Rezkiy" project 20380, built for the Pacific Fleet, has begun passing state tests. This was reported by the press service of the Amur shipbuilding enterprise.

The corvette left the delivery base of the Amur Shipyard in Vladivostok and went to the Pacific Fleet's sea ranges, where state tests will take place. How long they will last, there is no information, earlier it was reported that the "Rezkiy" should enter the combat fleet before the end of this year, but time will tell whether it will be in time or not.

In accordance with the decision of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, on December 25, the fourth production corvette of project 20380, built for the Pacific Fleet, "Rezkiy" entered the first stage of state tests from the delivery base of the Amur Shipbuilding Plant in Vladivostok - the message says.

Corvette "Rezkiy" is the fourth project 20380 ship built at the Amur Shipyard for the Pacific Fleet. It was laid down on July 1, 2016, launched on July 1, 2021, and sent to a delivery base in Vladivostok in November. Currently, the Pacific Fleet has three corvettes of this project - "Sovershennyy", "Gromkiy" and "Hero of the Russian Federation Aldar Tsydenzhapov".
    In total, the Pacific Ocean will receive six corvettes of this project, then the plant will build project 20385 corvettes.

Corvettes of project 20380 are classified as multi-purpose combat surface ships of the 2nd rank of the near sea zone. The features of the ships of this project are compactness, stealth, a high percentage of system automation. Designed to search for and destroy enemy submarines, surface ships and ships, defense of naval bases.

https://vpk.name/news/668981_postroennyi_dlya_tof_korvet_rezkii_proekta_20380_pristupil_k_prohozhdeniyu_gosudarstvennyh_ispytanii.html

GarryB, ALAMO, zardof, LMFS and Hole like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:31 am

Severnaya Verf should just be building Project 22350 frigates. What a waste of space. Build more frigates.

Well we don't know, but I suspect they have decided that Severnaya Verf might be tasked with building the new heavier frigate if it passes its tests, so they might have decided that making a couple of Corvettes to fill in the time between now and when the new heavy version of the Gorshkov class hits the water and can be tested would mean if it is good they can make more heavier frigates and not have so many light models of the frigate to find places for.... they always could use more corvettes, but limiting the Gorshkov class to say 15 ships could be sent to the Black Sea and Baltic Sea while the heavier improved Gorshkovs might be produced in larger numbers and be sent to the northern and pacific fleets where their increased weight might make them more useful...
    Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm

February 7, 14:31,
    updated February 7, 14:37

The Ministry of Defense announced that the frigate "Admiral Golovko" will enter the Northern Fleet in 2023

The department also reported that the corvette "Mercury" will replenish the composition of the Black Sea Fleet

MOSCOW, 7 February. /TASS/. The newest project 22350 Admiral Golovko missile frigate, which is at the third stage of testing, will become part of the Northern Fleet this year. This is stated in the message of the Russian Defense Ministry, distributed on Tuesday following the results of a meeting led by the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Nikolai Evmenov.

Earlier, a source close to the military-industrial complex told TASS that the Project 22350 Admiral Golovko frigate is planned to be transferred to the Russian Navy in March 2023.

"It is planned that this year the frigate Admiral Golovko will become part of the Northern Fleet, and the corvette Mercury will join the surface component of the Black Sea Fleet," the report says.

As clarified in the military department, the leadership of the Severnaya Verf reported to the commander-in-chief that the Admiral Golovko was undergoing the third stage of testing in the Baltic Sea. "The operation of artillery weapons systems, air defense systems, their control systems, radio equipment and communications equipment was tested on the frigate. Also, the Mercury corvette is at the final stage of testing at the test sites of the Baltic Fleet," they added. crews maneuver and speed tests, as well as check the operation of units, systems, assemblies and weapons.

In turn, during the meeting, Evmenov stressed the importance of the effective functioning of the service maintenance system for new ships of the frigate and corvette class. The 51st Central Design and Technological Institute of Ship Repair is responsible for the development of repair and technical documentation for these ships.

A source close to the military department told TASS in October last year that the pessimistic date for the transfer of the Mercury to the fleet is the beginning of 2023.

about ships

"Admiral Golovko" - the third building of project 22350. The lead and first serial frigates "Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Gorshkov" and "Admiral of the Fleet Kasatonov" are serving as part of the formation of missile ships of the Northern Fleet. These ships are carriers of Caliber-NK and/or Oniks cruise missiles, and, in the future, Zirkon hypersonic missiles.

"Mercury"- is the fifth project 20380 ship built at Severnaya Verf (part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation). The basis of the anti-ship armament of the project is the Uran missile system consisting of two four-container inclined launchers with an ammunition load of 8 Kh-35U anti-ship missiles with a firing range of up to 260 km.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/16985447

GarryB, zardof, LMFS and Hole like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:30 pm

"Mercury"- is the fifth project 20380 ship built at Severnaya Verf (part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation). The basis of the anti-ship armament of the project is the Uran missile system consisting of two four-container inclined launchers with an ammunition load of 8 Kh-35U anti-ship missiles with a firing range of up to 260 km.

They upgraded the kh-35 to have more than 500km range.
    Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:37 pm

Isos Today at 6:30 pm

The only question is whether that variant is in serial production.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:53 pm

Is it true the phased arrays on this ship are based on the mig31 zaslon radar set?
    Podlodka77
    Podlodka77

Post  Podlodka77 Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm

The system consists of a main control system, an X-band radar with a fixed AFAR 3D type, an S-band radar with a rotating AFAR 3D type, a radio monitoring station (bands: L, S, C, X, K), an artillery fire control system and electronic warfare ( ranges: X, K).

The modular principle of construction ensures the adaptation of the radar to the combat mission and tasks of the ship.

MF RLC "Zaslon" is an innovative new-generation radar that combines compactness, versatility and the ability to simultaneously perform tasks inherent in several radio engineering systems.

https://roe.ru/catalog/voenno-morskoy-flot/korabelnye-radioelektronnye-sistemy/mf-rlk-zaslon/

My opinion is that the two radar systems have no points of contact except in the name.

GarryB, xeno, Big_Gazza, zardof, Hole and TMA1 like this post

owais.usmani

Project 20380(5): Steregushchy Corvette #2 - Page 16 Empty multi-purpose corvette "Mercury"

Post  owais.usmani Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:47 pm

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/17167265

MOSCOW, March 1. /EXCLUSIVE TASS/. The newest multi-purpose corvette "Mercury" returned for revision to the delivery base after testing. This was reported to TASS at Severnaya Verf.

"Mercury" is currently located at the delivery base, where shipbuilders and the crew have begun to revise the ship to prepare it for transfer to the fleet," the agency's interlocutor said.

Earlier, TASS reported that the transfer of this corvette to the Russian Navy could take place in the third decade of March.

On February 28, the press service of the Baltic Fleet reported that the crew of the corvette, as part of the final stage of state tests, successfully fired missiles at an air target imitating an enemy anti-ship cruise missile at the Baltic Fleet's sea range.

GarryB, LMFS and lancelot like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:17 am