Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+72
marcellogo
Azi
auslander
miroslav
thegopnik
Finty
Mir
mavaff
Russian_Patriot_
Lurk83
Kiko
nero
flamming_python
PapaDragon
The_Observer
RTN
gbu48098
thedrunkengeneral
Firebird
ARYGER
zardof
limb
bren_tann
lyle6
slasher
mnztr
The-thing-next-door
Backman
calripson
AMCXXL
Big_Gazza
kvs
Sujoy
lancelot
Gomig-21
Tingsay
LMFS
medo
owais.usmani
TheArmenian
ultimatewarrior
Arrow
Mindstorm
franco
d_taddei2
Viktor
walle83
PhSt
Tsavo Lion
magnumcromagnon
Gibraltar
Singular_Transform
x_54_u43
marat
JohninMK
Cyberspec
GunshipDemocracy
Regular
miketheterrible
George1
ult
hoom
Vann7
Slevin
SeigSoloyvov
dino00
Rodion_Romanovic
MiamiMachineShop
Hole
verkhoturye51
Admin
GarryB
76 posters

Russian Navy: Status and News #5

hoom

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

Post  hoom Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Good, it was clearly never going to be repaired so keeping it on the books was not really doing anything useful.
    But it must have had sentimental value for someone in the command to be kept 'active' for so long.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:52 am

Hopefully Kerch will now be retired as a museum ship, given that she is the last of her kind?

For the same reasons I'd like to see the Pr.61 Smetlivy also retired to museum duty when her time comes (yeah, the class would continue for awhile in the INS Rajput & sisters, but it ain't the same...).
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:44 am

Big_Gazza wrote:Hopefully Kerch will now be retired as a museum ship, given that she is the last of her kind?

For the same reasons I'd like to see the Pr.61 Smetlivy also retired to museum duty when her time comes (yeah, the class would continue for awhile in the INS Rajput & sisters, but it ain't the same...).

Smetlivy is already slated for conversion to museum ship (selected location is Sevastopol)

Kerch will be getting scraped

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:08 am

She was a busy looking ship, there was no empty space that was flat and boring like the more modern Russian ships... I liked the way she looked... business like and purposeful...

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Bolsho10
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am

With all those huge antennas they can put a nuclear plant and use it as a directed energy weapon carrier. Laughing
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Save fuel and use it as a sailing ship...
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:15 pm

PapaDragon wrote:Kerch will be getting scraped

Day-um...

The 1134 Kresta I and 1134A Kresta II are gone without trace, and now the 1134B Kara... I grew up with these ships, looking at them in fuzzy B&W pics in books and magazines. Its sad to see them vanish without trace like so many other great lines have previously. Sad

Oh well, I'll cheer up once the Nahkimov gets underway on her first combat mission post-rebuild. Very Happy
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:

Day-um...

The 1134 Kresta I and 1134A Kresta II are gone without trace, and now the 1134B Kara...  I grew up with these ships, looking at them in fuzzy B&W pics in books and magazines. Its sad to see them vanish without trace like so many other great lines have previously.  Sad

Oh well, I'll cheer up once the Nahkimov gets underway on her first combat mission post-rebuild.  Very Happy

Russia is diseased with 5th column saboteurs. I smell rot in the decision to scrap. It actually costs money to scrap ships so
    why the hurry?

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:01 pm

kvs wrote:Russia is diseased with 5th column saboteurs. I smell rot in the decision to scrap...

Is there anything you don't smell 5th column in?

kvs wrote:It actually costs money to scrap ships so why the hurry?

What hurry? It's been rotting away for years doing nothing.

This ship isn't remarkable or historically significant. If they really wanted to preserve one then Ochakov would be better choice

franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:12 pm

kvs wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:

Day-um...

The 1134 Kresta I and 1134A Kresta II are gone without trace, and now the 1134B Kara...  I grew up with these ships, looking at them in fuzzy B&W pics in books and magazines. Its sad to see them vanish without trace like so many other great lines have previously.  Sad

Oh well, I'll cheer up once the Nahkimov gets underway on her first combat mission post-rebuild.  Very Happy

Russia is diseased with 5th column saboteurs.  I smell rot in the decision to scrap.   It actually costs money to scrap ships so
    why the hurry?

It has not sailed in forever... fire destroyed the engines and time to let the old girl go out with some dignity.

Last edited by franco on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    hoom

Post  hoom Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:39 am

Kerch will be getting scraped
    That is a shame cry

I'm happy for it to be out of service because its grossly obsolete but Karas were pretty amazing for their time & it'd be cool to have one still around as a museum.
    On the other hand its a lot of ship to maintain & from recollection they're having trouble maintaining the Sverdlov thats already a museum ship.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Russian Baltic Fleet ships set off for Atlantic deployment

The warships are carrying anti-terror squads from the Baltic Fleet’s marine infantry

KALININGRAD, February 19. /TASS/. The Baltic Fleet’s naval group comprising the corvette Stoiky and the large amphibious warfare ship Korolyov departed from the naval base of Baltiysk in Russia’s westernmost Kaliningrad Region and set off for their deployment to the Atlantic, the Fleet’s press office reported on Wednesday.

"The corvette Stoiky and the large amphibious assault ship Korolyov have embarked on a long-distance mission in accordance with their combat training plan for 2020 as part of the Baltic Fleet’s permanent presence in the area of its responsibility," the press office said in a statement.

The warships are carrying anti-terror squads from the Baltic Fleet’s marine infantry, the statement says.

During its deployment in distant waters, the Baltic Fleet’s naval group will fulfil a number of tasks to search for a notional enemy’s submarines with the help of basic anti-submarine warfare systems and a deck-based Ka-27 helicopter, repel a simulated enemy’s air attack and missile strike. In addition, the naval sailors will fire small artillery guns and small arms to strike naval targets, according to the statement.

Marine infantry units will hold anti-terror drills to repel an attack by notional terrorists on the ship during anchorages in an unsafe roadstead and in the course of passing through straits, the press office said.

https://tass.com/defense/1121845
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:49 am

Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    1h
    Vedomosti reports that the Amur Shipbuilding Plant (ASZ) may receive an order for 10 Project 20380 corvettes, valued at 180 billion rubles, for the Pacific Fleet. It would be the largest such order in Russian history, and may be signed in 2021.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:01 am

Isos wrote:Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    1h
    Vedomosti reports that the Amur Shipbuilding Plant (ASZ) may receive an order for 10 Project 20380 corvettes, valued at 180 billion rubles, for the Pacific Fleet. It would be the largest such order in Russian history, and may be signed in 2021.

They must be tight on cash to go for 20380's, Gremy's would be a much better choice.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:59 am

They are faster and cheaper to build. I guess they will keep money for Gorshkov.

Gremyashy are over expensive, price close to a Gorshkov.
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 am

Isos wrote:They are faster and cheaper to build. I guess they will keep money for Gorshkov.

Gremyashy are over expensive, price close to a Gorshkov.
    Price similar to grigorovich, half of Gorshkov, as far as I remember having read in an article posted in this forum a few years ago.

However the base model of 20380 does not have UKSK launchers... if they are going to build now new of them maybe it would be worth to have platforms capable of launching calibr and onyx missiles... furthermore the last couple of 20380 being built at amur amur shipyard apparently have the same mast and radar as 20385...

Anyways Amur had several problems and a lot of delays, but apparently now they are able to cope with the task of building such large corvettes... if so it is a good thing to give them a large order and the possibility of planning in time for the work...

The important thing is that Severnaya verf does not build more of these ships... they are useful, but they can be built elsewhere

Maybe they could even offload some of the construction of smaller missile ships 22800 to other shipyards in the east, like khabarovsk shipyard or the eastern shipyard in vladivostok, in order to concentrate on large corvettes and small/medium frigates...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:37 am

Gremyashy class hit the wall due to imported engines, they will not be building any more of them

With updated radars only difference between Gremyashy and Stereguchy is UKSK and extra endurance none of which are vital for Pacific because they will be used predominantly for guarding White Sea bastion from hostile subs which neither requires UKSK nor endurance, everything is close by and well within range of coastal aviation and missile batteries

Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:02 am

PapaDragon wrote:Gremyashy class hit the wall due to imported engines, they will not be building any more of them

With updated radars only difference between Gremyashy and Stereguchy is UKSK and extra endurance none of which are vital for Pacific because they will be used predominantly for guarding White Sea bastion from hostile subs which neither requires UKSK nor endurance, everything is close by and well within range of coastal aviation and missile batteries

well, the 2 gremyashy (20385) built for the russian navy have been supplied with russian (kolomna) diesel engines (the same one on the base 20380), so I do not see why they could not do the same on new ships, unless there are not some limitations (e.g. lower speed or reliability due to the increased size of the ship 20385 are about 1,5 m longer and 300 tons heavier than 20380 according to public available data)...

In addition, among these 10 ships maybe a few of them will be the gas turbine powered 20386 (mercury class)
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:44 am

Yes there are limitations with Kolomna engines on Gremyashy, those ships were designed around MTU engines and local diesels had to be modified (and compromised in performance) to get them to work otherwise they would have had to ditch two whole ships

Mercury class uses completely new fully local engine which is not compatible with Gremyashy nor Stereguchy classes
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:03 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Mercury class uses completely new fully local engine which is not compatible with Gremyashy nor Stereguchy classes

Of course, they are totally different ships...i meant that it is possible that a part of the ten ships will be Mercury class and not 20380
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 pm

...i meant that it is possible that a part of the ten ships will be Mercury class and not 20380

Highly unlikely

Mercury is brand spanking new design, it's basically a test bed for new systems and propulsion and it still has ways to go before it's certified for serial construction

Also Pacific shipyards aren't qualified to build something like Mercury yet
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:39 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    ...i meant that it is possible that a part of the ten ships will be Mercury class and not 20380

Highly unlikely

Mercury is brand spanking new design, it's basically a test bed for new systems and propulsion and it still has ways to go before it's certified for serial construction

Also Pacific shipyards aren't qualified to build something like Mercury yet

Why not? What would limit them? Propulsion and weapon system integration work?

I am not saying they should start today with them, but after the pilot 20386 will have passed the tests and commissioned, and the first serial 20386 will be built (in the west of Russia either still at Severnaya verf, or better at Pella shipyard) possibly with a different armament set or division between base and modular weapons, they could also start building them in the east...

As an example, according to the size constraints, Amur shipyard should be able to build ship of the size of a large frigate  (around 8000tons max possible displacement and
    Max length 150m) but did not build recently many large surface military ships.

150 m means that they should be able to build a 22350 (gorshov class frigate), that is 135m long, but not a 22350m Gorshkov M, that should have approximately the same size as the 1155 Udaloy class antisub destroyer.

Btw last year amur shipyard launched a ferry ship for the
    connection to Sakhalin, probably near the largest possible width for its facilities (the ferry is 131 m long,  20.3 m wide, and with a draft of 6.6 m),

Last edited by Rodion_Romanovic on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Another 10 for the northern fleet and also 10 for baltic/Black sea/mediteranean would be good to improve numbers. I would even put pantsir instead of the more expensive redut to reduce costs.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Replacing Redut with Pantsir is idiotic

Redut is fully fledged AA system, Pantsir is point-defence

If they need Pantsir that badly they can replace AK-630 with it

hoom

Post  hoom Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 am

Replacing Redut with Pantsir is idiotic

Redut is fully fledged AA system, Pantsir is point-defence

If they need Pantsir that badly they can replace AK-630 with it
    12* Redut with a radar thats known to be inadequate at even quite short range vs 32* 40km Pantsir with tailored 4-face AESA.

IMO the Pantsir would be the better defense for a relatively small ship likely to be operating within range of shore aviation.
    But Furke-Redut is probably the cheaper option.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:21 am