Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+72
marcellogo
Azi
auslander
miroslav
thegopnik
Finty
Mir
mavaff
Russian_Patriot_
Lurk83
Kiko
nero
flamming_python
PapaDragon
The_Observer
RTN
gbu48098
thedrunkengeneral
Firebird
ARYGER
zardof
limb
bren_tann
lyle6
slasher
mnztr
The-thing-next-door
Backman
calripson
AMCXXL
Big_Gazza
kvs
Sujoy
lancelot
Gomig-21
Tingsay
LMFS
medo
owais.usmani
TheArmenian
ultimatewarrior
Arrow
Mindstorm
franco
d_taddei2
Viktor
walle83
PhSt
Tsavo Lion
magnumcromagnon
Gibraltar
Singular_Transform
x_54_u43
marat
JohninMK
Cyberspec
GunshipDemocracy
Regular
miketheterrible
George1
ult
hoom
Vann7
Slevin
SeigSoloyvov
dino00
Rodion_Romanovic
MiamiMachineShop
Hole
verkhoturye51
Admin
GarryB
76 posters

Russian Navy: Status and News #5

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

Post  PapaDragon Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:08 am

Severodvinsk basin flooded

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1310989714267275264

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 18 EjGRq-WWAAcPI3P?format=jpg&name=900x900
    Hole
    Hole

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

Post  Hole Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:27 pm

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 18 Ej9b-b10
    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 18 Ej9cga10
    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 18 Ej9ckm10
    Tartus
    Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:10 am

Any news or photos out yet of the Russian & Egyptian naval exercise in the Black Sea?  It's big news back in Egypt since this is the first time in maybe ever that the two navies are getting together and not only that, but the Egyptian Navy trotting itself all the way through the Aegean Sea and then through the Turkish Strait and the Bosphorous into the Black Sea and up towards the Crimea I believe.  But with the tensions with turkey, it's making some news in the Arab world but i believe they've already arrived this morning.

It would be great to see the Russians flying Katrans off the Egyptian mistrals among other cool things.  if anyone gets some news, please post it.  Thx,
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:22 am

No date set yet: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2020/10/egypt-russia-naval-exercise-black-sea.html

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/egypt-and-russia-prepare-for-first-ever-naval-exercise-in-the-black-sea/
    Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:51 am

Tsavo Lion wrote:No date set yet: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2020/10/egypt-russia-naval-exercise-black-sea.html

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/egypt-and-russia-prepare-for-first-ever-naval-exercise-in-the-black-sea/

My bad, the way I read some of the news they were outlining about the route to get there sounded like they had already left. We'll have to keep an eye on it although not sure what they mean about "aircraft" if they mean helicopters, that's understandable but not sure the EAF will participate. Should be exciting either way.
    walle83

Post  walle83 Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:44 pm

The big lady, Kerch, in the brakers. Sad sight for the last Kara cruiser. Could have been a nice museum to visit.

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 18 Kerch10
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Ship museum sucks. Loose more money than you make.

It's respectfull that they destroy it this way. US usually sink their big ships in sinkex and say it actually helps the environment.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm

She will live on in our hearts. cry
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:08 am

It is common to sink some ships to essentially create something divers can go down and explore, but a huge ship like this the potential for divers getting trapped inside a huge dark maze makes you think it would cause more harm than good.

I am sure in 50 years time you can have the experience of virtual museums where you can tour using VR goggles to explore any ship you like... perhaps even launch some missiles and fire the guns... Smile

Computer games like War Thunder already have detailed models of armoured vehicles... including many that never really existed... Imagine a wacky races type game where you start off in one of the oldest slowest weakest armed and armoured vehicle and you had to drive cross country on an open map... say from one side of America to the other, or one side of Europe to the other... say like one of those rallys except set in the 1920s to start with. You could start with each vehicle 5km away from any of the other vehicles but as you progress your paths will converge and you can slow the competition by destroying their current vehicle, or damaging it... save amphibious types for crossing rather large rivers etc Obviously considering the distance you could not play it in one sitting, so there would have to be stages... and challenges in each stage to add resources or upgrade your vehicle or whatever...
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:12 am

I am posting this here, since the corresponding thread was closed:

A couple of analysis about the pause / stop in the program Lider and the reasons behind it.

https://navy-korabel.livejournal.com/195066.html
    https://navy-korabel.livejournal.com/231990.html

The author considers it is unquestionable that a big vessel of such characteristics is needed and that VMF is focusing at the time in the 22350M following their logical development logic of growing step by step.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 am

LMFS wrote:I am posting this here, since the corresponding thread was closed:

A couple of analysis about the pause / stop in the program Lider and the reasons behind it.

The author considers it is unquestionable that a big vessel of such characteristics is needed and that VMF is focusing at the time in the 22350M following their logical development logic of growing step by step.

Traditional Russian Naval disease inherited from Sovs of always chasing some future bigger superships while completely ignoring present problems

They desperately need more standard Gorshkovs to replace diminishing fleet of obsolete vessels and yet they still insist on boutique approach to Naval warfare

Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:46 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    LMFS wrote:I am posting this here, since the corresponding thread was closed:

Traditional Russian Naval disease inherited from Sovs of always chasing some future bigger superships while completely ignoring present problems

They desperately need more standard Gorshkovs to replace diminishing fleet of obsolete vessels and yet they still insist on boutique approach to Naval warfare

Well, it is already important that, since the first article of 2018, 4 additional 22350 frigates have been laid down.

Probably after the upgrades in severnaya verf also 22350M will be laid down there too.

I agree that leader class destroyers cruisers
    are currently less important than 22350 and 22350M.

As written many times, i would also welcome the building of 22350 and 22350M in additional shipyards.

It depends also on the production capabilities for all associated equipment, including propulsion  (gas turbines, reduction gears), but not only.

If the half built ships must sit idly in the shipyard because some of the internal systems cannot be produced at the needed pace, then it is better to invest on the supply chain first, and use the shipyards for building other ships.

Anyway,  provided that propulsion, weapon systems, radars sonars, internal systems etc are not the bottlenecks, the first option for laying down additional 22350 and 22350M is of course Yantar, as soon as they finish building the 11356 for India (and they previously build there Udaloy class destroyers which have the same size as 22350M).

Also Zaliv in Kerch is an option, provided that they do not need to use the dry dock (already full for the next few years) for the frigates (I remember reading that they could build several 1135 frigates from the boathouses there... 22350 is a bit bigger than 1135, but maybe it is not a problem.

Admiralty shipyard and Baltic shipyard in saint Petersburg have the infrastructure and the trained manpower for building both 22350 and 22350M (and in case of Baltic shipyard also leader destroyers/cruisers) but they have already a full order book for the next few years.

I do not know if moving some of the diesel submarine construction to krasnoe sormovo in Nizhny Novgorod (that previously built both diesel and nuclear attack submarines (like the 945 barracuda class with titanium hulls)) could free some of the capacity in the admiralty shipyard.

By the way, recently some representative from krasnoe sormovo expressed interest in building improved kilos...

lancelot likes this post

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:29 am

Exercise with 6 ships, 7 aircraft and more than 400 military started in the Caspian Sea

The flight of the "oldest mineral" over the White Sea is discussed all over the world: https://regnum.ru/news/polit/3092252.html

Last edited by Tsavo Lion on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:50 am

Rodion_Romanovic wrote:Well, it is already important that, since the first article of 2018, 4 additional 22350 frigates have been laid down.

Probably after the upgrades in severnaya verf also 22350M will be laid down there too.

I agree that leader class destroyers cruisers
    are currently less important than 22350 and 22350M.

As written many times, i would also welcome the building of 22350 and 22350M in additional shipyards.

It depends also on the production capabilities for all associated equipment, including propulsion  (gas turbines, reduction gears), but not only.

If the half built ships must sit idly in the shipyard because some of the internal systems cannot be produced at the needed pace, then it is better to invest on the supply chain first, and use the shipyards for building other ships.

Anyway,  provided that propulsion, weapon systems, radars sonars, internal systems etc are not the bottlenecks, the first option for laying down additional 22350 and 22350M is of course Yantar, as soon as they finish building the 11356 for India (and they previously build there Udaloy class destroyers which have the same size as 22350M).

Also Zaliv in Kerch is an option, provided that they do not need to use the dry dock (already full for the next few years) for the frigates (I remember reading that they could build several 1135 frigates from the boathouses there... 22350 is a bit bigger than 1135, but maybe it is not a problem.

Admiralty shipyard and Baltic shipyard in saint Petersburg have the infrastructure and the trained manpower for building both 22350 and 22350M (and in case of Baltic shipyard also leader destroyers/cruisers) but they have already a full order book for the next few years.

I do not know if moving some of the diesel submarine construction to krasnoe sormovo in Nizhny Novgorod (that previously built both diesel and nuclear attack submarines (like the 945 barracuda class with titanium hulls)) could free some of the capacity in the admiralty shipyard.

By the way, recently some representative from krasnoe sormovo expressed interest in building improved kilos...

The Baltic Shipyard in St. Petersburg which would be used to build the Lider battlecruisers is currently building Project 22220 nuclear icebreakers. Same shipyard which built the Kirov battlecruisers.
    To be honest I was not that impressed with the original design for Lider. Considering the huge size it was supposed to have it was not that capable in terms of total available missile tubes.
    Lider was to have more or less the same amount of cells as conventionally powered cruisers from the US or China which have smaller displacements.
    After the order for the icebreakers was expanded with at least two more hulls to be in construction it was quite clear Lider was "put on ice".

I agree that they should increase the amount of Project 22350 and 22350M frigates. The Project 22350M in particular should be able to replace the Sovremenny and Udaloy destroyers with ease.
    This ship should be a lot more cost effective than the nuclear powered battlecruisers and would have export potential. I agree that Yantar should be also building this class of ship. They should double the amount of ships in construction.
    I doubt the gas turbine production would be a major bottleneck. Each Project 22350 ship will only use four gas turbines (2x boost and 2x cruise). A single Il-76 has four gas turbine engines.
    A lot of people don't realize this but Russia had been researching marine gas turbine engines prior to the Ukraine gas turbine embargo. That is one reason why it developed alternative designs so quickly.
    It takes between 5 years to a decade, usually a decade, to design a novel gas turbine engine.

The nuclear powered battlecruisers still make sense in the longer term but I would not be surprised if it took them another 3-5 years until they enter the construction phase.
    By that time the RITM-200 reactor will have been proven, the RITM-400 reactor might be available, the Project 22220 icebreakers will have been launched, so there will be dry dock space for the battlecruisers.

The Zvezda shipyard will basically prove Russia has the facilities and workers which can build even larger ships like aircraft carriers. Without Ukraine.
    Once the RITM-400 reactor has been proven with the larger icebreakers then the aircraft carriers can be built. I expect the aircraft carriers will start construction in like 8-10 years.
    This time will also allow for the design and testing of an EMALS catapult system. Russia shouldn't do like the US did where they started construction of a carrier (Ford) before they had a ground based test catapult which met design specifications.

I hope Russia won't build something like the Shtorm carrier. Russia needs two or three carriers with a size between the Charles de Gaulle and the Admiral Kuznetsov. Shtorm is just obscene and does not make much sense.
    For the price of one Shtorm you could build two Charles de Gaulle class carriers. For the types of scenarios Russia finds itself in that is more than enough.

This could all have happened faster if the oil price hadn't come down and state revenues decreased but I think it would have been less efficient.
    It would have required double the naval shipyard facilities. The facilities would be hard pressed to find work once the state naval program was complete.
    The naval facilities would still have taken time to upgrade and it still would have taken time to train staff so I doubt it would have happened much faster either.
    Had the Ukrainian embargo never happened I think at best Russia would have had twice the amount of modern frigates. i.e. instead of 5 they would have 10.
    That is significant but not that important. What is more important is Russia now will have the facilities to build all the major components itself thus improving self-reliance.

Last edited by lancelot on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Big_Gazza likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:42 am

Welcome to the forum Lancelot, it is a forum rule that new users post an introduction in the rules and introductions section.

Please take the time to read the rules and post an introduction thread for yourself.

I agree they don't need or want huge 100K aircraft carriers, but the current Kuznetsov is not big enough.

There were comments and hints that part of the upgrade of the K include an experiemental system for assisting takeoffs with some sort of catapult system... it will be interesting to see what it actually is.

lancelot likes this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Russian navy testing out their coastal and frigate missile defense systems

https://www.facebook.com/russiabeyond/videos/2475985502701793
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:50 pm

1 more SSK to join the Pac. Fleet on 10/25.

dino00 and AMCXXL like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Russia has tested a new anti-submarine missile

MOSCOW, October 28-RIA Novosti.
    Russian sailors from the frigate " AdmiralKasatonov" tested a new anti-submarine missile in theThe Barents sea, the press service of the Northern fleet reported on Wednesday.
    What exactly "product" was tested, it is not specified.
    "The newest frigate of the Northern fleet, Admiral of the fleet Kasatonov, fired an anti-submarine missile at the fleet's combat training grounds in the Barents sea. The shooting was carried out as part of the qualification serial tests of the product and was recognized as a success," the release says.
    One of the nuclear submarines of the Northern fleet was already watching the torpedo that separated from the rocket. An Il-38 anti-submarine aircraft, a Ka-27 helicopter and a torpedo boat of the Kola flotilla also provided fire.
    "When performing rocket firing, the frigate's combat crews demonstrated confident command of combat equipment, high professionalism and naval training," the press service added.

https://ria.ru/20201028/ispytanie-1581927559.html

dino00 likes this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:04 pm

91R1?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Odds are small but I do hope that this anti-sub missile is some new product for Uran launchers instead of usual UKSK

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Odds are small but I do hope that this anti-sub missile is some new product for Uran launchers instead of usual UKSK

Quite possible actually. Uran launchers are used on stereguchshy and mod Udaloy which both are ASW ships.

The missile itself can be longer than Uran since the launchers are mounted externally.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:31 pm

It was launched from the Kasatonov
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 pm

Must be fake since we have no detailed information useful for the CIA.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:20 am

One of the nuclear submarines of the Northern fleet was already watching the torpedo that separated from the rocket.

It clearly states the torpedo separated from the rocket, which means it is a 91ER1/2 type weapon... perhaps using a bigger torpedo, or more likely a bigger rocket to provide better range.

91ER1/2 are not new weapons so most likely more powerful rocket motor with better range performance...
    Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:24 pm

Looks like the Egyptian Navy has finally made it through the Turkish Dardanelles Strait which connects the Aegean Sea with the Sea of Marmara, to participate in maneuvers with Russia in the Black Sea.

https://twitter.com/TurkeyAffairs/status/1327627971075710976

https://twitter.com/i/status/1327627971075710976

ahmedfire, George1 and LMFS like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:44 pm