Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+9
Big_Gazza
higurashihougi
sepheronx
GarryB
Atmosphere
Hole
Arrow
lancelot
thegopnik
13 posters

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9

Post  Atmosphere Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 pm

Gomig-21 wrote:
    Atmosphere wrote:https://www.niip.ru/upload/iblock/854/8546b31b0d719348532f7075d5b924e2.pdf
    https://www.niip.ru/upload/iblock/e79/e794d8582067882b61772b7850eb18ca.pdf
    L band arrays confirmed to be radars.

So Atmosphere, I couldn't get the text translated from the 1st link since it was pics of literature from a book, but I was able to translate the 2nd link on PDF.  Some interesting stuff since I was just recently having an in-depth discussion regarding those arrays.  I copy/pasted the relevant section below.  Do you know if these arrays are the same exact ones as on the Su-35S?  I know supposedly the are, just trying to confirm.  And is there any other info on how they operate with the IRBIS-E since it's obviously a different type of radar than the N036-1-01 X-band AESA and the arrays are L-band.  Or if they work independently?

Translation: Just FYI, this is referring to the Su-57.

On the stand: the performance and characteristics of the AESA have not changed, no modifications are required, and it is ready to continue flight tests." In 2013, the next two prototypes of the fighter (the fourth and fifth) were submitted for testing, which were equipped with a forward-looking radar at the plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur (the fourth and fifth experimental sets). In 2016-2017, five more prototypes of the Su-57 joined the tests, and the final three were already equipped with a full set of multifunctional radar systems, including, in addition to the front, two side and two wing AESAs. An experimental model of side-scan AESA was first demonstrated at the MAKS-2013 air show in late summer 2013, then two prototypes of "side" AESA were manufactured and by 2015 passed the necessary bench testing, after which their flight tests began on board the aircraft. It is important to note that for the final two prototypes of the Su-57 (the 10th and 11th), the AESA radar system kits were worn out.

Not sure what they mean by "worn out" hahaha unless it's a botched translation, but are we talking about the bolded part for confirmation?  Or is there something else I missed and can we positively say they're the same arrays as the Su-35S?

Atmosphere wrote:http://www.take-off.ru/item/2257-niip-im-v-v-tikhomirova-podvodit-itogi-goda

"complete interdepartmental tests of our complex, which are carried out on its component parts (the locator itself, the electronic countermeasures system, the identification system, etc.) "
    So tikhomirov has a hand in developing the EW system, not just KNIIRTI.

I guess these two sections answer my questions!

Last year, he actively continued the institute and work on aviation topics. According to Yuri Bely, in 2016 an unprecedented volume of test flights was carried out to test the latest Tikhomirov radars - a total of more than 370 flights, including more than a hundred on fifth-generation T-50 aircraft with a multifunctional electronic system based on AESA and more than 170 on Su-35S fighters with Irbis radar with phased array.

The task is to complete the first stage of the GSE by the end of this year and obtain a preliminary conclusion on the readiness of the complex for serial production. In addition, by about the middle of the year, we must complete interdepartmental tests of our complex, which are carried out on component parts (the radar itself, the electronic countermeasures system, the identification system, etc.) on the stands at our institute and at the subcontractors,"

Outstanding.  So the arrays on the Su-35 are not only L-band AESA and work in conjunction with the ERBIS-E (it would be great to know the detailed technical aspect of how) but also with the N036-1-01 X-band AESA in the Su-57 of course.

My other question would be if the IFF antenna/interrogator AND EW both are integrated in the arrays or are they separate units?  Great stuff.

As far as IRBIS-E goes i do think the L band arrays work in conjunction with it since both radars feed data into the Solo-35 central computer.
    I do think however that the L-band arrays on the N036 are different and more advanced since they have their own designation, their own sub processor, and because the industry transitioned to co fired low temperature ceramic to make modules smaller and having greater characteristics in terms of noise figure, and mechanical\Thermal reliability.
    As far as IFF and EW goes, The su57 has an independant IFF system called "reaper" but once again it works in conjunction with all other systems since sensor fusion is one of the main points of the aircraft, same with EW, the L402 hymalayas suite has its own arrays + uses the arrays of the N036, including the L band ones.
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Su57-s10

GarryB and Gomig-21 like this post

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9

Post  Atmosphere Mon May 06, 2024 11:55 pm

Sixth generation fighters are pretty much following the Su-57 formula, a flat wide body, long range, large ventral space for large payload, and aircraft drone cummunication. The only difference is the lack of aft fins, but even in that case, the ones on the Su-57 are made as small as possible.
    Time is proving this aircraft to be a winner.
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 16735510

Gomig-21 likes this post

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:21 pm