Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+43
caveat emptor
franco
Arkanghelsk
sepheronx
Backman
AMK
gc3762
Gazputin
magnumcromagnon
Airbornewolf
Odin of Ossetia
Rasisuki Nebia
The-thing-next-door
jon_deluxe
Lennox
GunshipDemocracy
Mir
x_54_u43
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
Big_Gazza
TMA1
Aristide
medo
Arrow
dino00
lyle6
ALAMO
Hole
flamming_python
Kiko
Russian_Patriot_
limb
Mindstorm
PhSt
George1
lancelot
kvs
GarryB
Scorpius
owais.usmani
Vann7
Daniel_Admassu
47 posters

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 Empty Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4

Post  Big_Gazza Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 pm

kvs wrote:The SHLV is not the Angara since it has multiple nozzles in the boosters.  The Angara derivative in the slide you posted in another thread is
    shown with single nozzle modules.

I do not know that this thing is supposed to be.   It is rendered as a single nozzle core stage surrounded by what looks like RD-171MV
    equipped boosters.   Maybe just some token graphic and not any actual SHLV.

Yes, I noticed that, neither Yenisei nor Angara (a 4-man crewed transport to lunar orbit is beyond the ability of even A-5V). I'm thinking that it might represent a methalox-based SHLV using Amur-derived technologies currently under development? dunno

What does the text say? I'm not a Russian speaker/reader and my translations are laborious kindergarten-grade efforts that move at glacial speeds, but I'll get around to deciphering the text later, maybe tomorrow.
    kvs
    kvs

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 Empty Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4

Post  kvs Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:

Yes, I noticed that, neither Yenisei nor Angara (a 4-man crewed transport to lunar orbit is beyond the ability of even A-5V).  I'm thinking that it might represent a methalox-based SHLV using Amur-derived technologies currently under development?   dunno

What does the text say? I'm not a Russian speaker/reader and my translations are laborious kindergarten-grade efforts that move at glacial speeds, but I'll get around to deciphering the text later, maybe tomorrow.

It says nothing about the SHLV. It is referring to it being an SHLV in the title but there are no labels. The rest is just component and mission stage
    information that is not even needed to explain the slide.

I am doubting it is the methalox rocket since the engines for that are not even in production and the Yanisei is going to arrive earlier. The Zenit
    replacement can be assembled today.
    owais.usmani

Post  owais.usmani Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:10 pm

Scorpius wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:Its not often that a space launch is scheduled that I earnestly wish to fail, but the Ukropi Sich-2-30 is such a mission. Due to be launched on 13 Jan from a F9, I'm hoping to hear about the shoddy piece of junk failing in orbit within a day or two...   Twisted Evil   Screw these maggots.  Space is no place for hardware from a Nazi-controlled police state...
    it looks like your wish has been fulfilled. It looks like the satellite is lost.

Can you share a source which mentions the satellite's loss?
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:26 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:Also presented some slides on the ROS space station, indicating a 2027 start for orbital assembly.

Not an approved project AFAIK but given the approaching end-of-life for ISS and the general tension in relations with the Murkans and their spineless Eurotrash vassals, I expect that the gov will approve this in the next few years.

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 Presen10

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 Presen11

A few graphics that detail the current concepts for phased assembly.

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 00111210

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 00111211

If I were the Russians I would close the hatch of my segment, destroy the bolts that keep it locked to the rest of the station and "sail" away.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:46 pm

owais.usmani wrote:
    Scorpius wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:Its not often that a space launch is scheduled that I earnestly wish to fail, but the Ukropi Sich-2-30 is such a mission. Due to be launched on 13 Jan from a F9, I'm hoping to hear about the shoddy piece of junk failing in orbit within a day or two...   Twisted Evil   Screw these maggots.  Space is no place for hardware from a Nazi-controlled police state...
    it looks like your wish has been fulfilled. It looks like the satellite is lost.

In Kiev, they did not rule out the loss of the Sich-2-30 satellite launched into orbit

Big_Gazza and owais.usmani like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:58 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    owais.usmani wrote:
    Scorpius wrote:

In Kiev, they did not rule out the loss of the Sich-2-30 satellite launched into orbit

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

On the downside, we have one less test target for Peresvet.  Would have been nice to burn out its sensors with a sustained blast and then feign total ignorance Twisted Evil

edit: RIA Novosti is reporting the same. source. Happy days thumbsup

owais.usmani likes this post

owais.usmani

Post  owais.usmani Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:06 am

Big_Gazza wrote:
    Note the dual-SHLV launch mission for a 4-man crew to the lunar surface. Doesn't look like Soyuz-5 based Yenisei...

It is very clearly. Those side boosters are the first stages to be used by Soyuz-5 using the RD-171MV engine.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:38 am

owais.usmani wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:
    Note the dual-SHLV launch mission for a 4-man crew to the lunar surface. Doesn't look like Soyuz-5 based Yenisei...

It is very clearly. Those side boosters are the first stages to be used by Soyuz-5 using the RD-171MV engine.

Ah yes, I've had a closer look and I think you're right.  I think it just didn't mesh with my mental picture of Yenisei when posting late last night, especially as it looked like a central core and 2x strap-on boosters, rather than 5-6 as how Yenisei/Don is usually shown.

The depiction in that slide is quite close to the following prelim rendition of Yenisei from ~2017, just with some variation in the u/s.

Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 2019_010

George1, kvs and owais.usmani like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:41 am

Why would it use a two-nozzle (RD-181) engine for the core module? That does not make any sense. I do not see a need for
    a slower burn which just requires more fuel and results in less payload. This heterogeneous approach also defeats the concept
    of a URM. It makes more sense to use identical modules. The two-nozzle module would have no other utility than for this SHLV.

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:44 pm

kvs wrote:Why would it use a two-nozzle (RD-181) engine for the core module?   That does not make any sense.  I do not see a need for
    a slower burn which just requires more fuel and results in less payload.   This heterogeneous approach also defeats the concept
    of a URM.  It makes more sense to use identical modules.   The two-nozzle module would have no other utility than for this SHLV.

I assume its so that the central core can be ignited on the ground along with the strap-ons, and then burn for longer ie past the point of strap-on release, without the need for deep throttling (the propellent inventory of the core is the same as the boosters). You wouldn't get any benefit of having a 4-chamber engine, and you'd be carrying extra weight and wasting money. Switching to a 2-chamber engine looks to be an efficiency measure.

In any case, the central core will always be a slightly different build to the strap-ons, even if they are a "common" URM design. Using a different engine (yet of the same design family) shouldn't add any significant complexity.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:59 pm

My point was that any slower burn adds cost. The most efficient rocket is a shell shot from a giant gun. Obviously that
    is not practical. I just don't see any need for the center module to burn longer. Once the first stage cluster burns out
    the second stage ignites with no "shock" transition. The speed of the second stage is higher if all first stage modules burn
    as fast as possible. Somebody is hung up on the concept of boosters. There are no boosters in the URM, the cluster is
    the first stage.

The weight difference between the RD-171 and RD-181 would not override the benefit of reaching a higher initial speed
    for the second stage.

Anyway, I assume they did detailed modeling of what they want from the SHLV. Maybe they see some value in this configuration.

Lennox

Post  Lennox Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 pm

Of course there is value doing this. Normal rockets usually have to throttle down during flight until separation, this one doesnt. And also, this is probably to decrease the acceleration of the rocket. Burning all of them at the same time during lift off would not be very efficient due to high acceleration in dense atmosphere. And there might even be some advantage about conserving delta v, we dont know for sure.

And no, there will still be shock transition when the whole cluster stage falls down. If you consider the cluster stage as a single stage, then essentially this Angara version is similar to any other rocket without booster stages, and they still require ullage motors/ gas pumps or other mechanisms. I would assume that by using the RD-181, the acceleration is less and therefore require a weaker ullage motor? This of course depends on how high the Angara separates its first stage.

Then again, I don't know much about these stuff, so take what I said with a grain of salt

As for the URM design, I do agree that it looks like it's defeating the purpose of a URM design. But what if URM was only a framework, and base on that the designers create sustainer core and booster core, and since the URM framework itself is modular, they can still maximize the share of components used in both sustainer and core stage, so that the only difference between the 2 would be the engine
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:50 pm

China and Russia may sign an agreement on the creation of a lunar station before the end of the year

source

BEIJING, January 28. /TASS/. An intergovernmental agreement between Russia and China on cooperation in the creation of a lunar station can be signed before the end of the year. This was announced on Friday at a press conference by Deputy Head of the China National Space Administration (CNSA) Wu Yanhua.

"Currently, intergovernmental consultations between China and the Russian Federation on the issue of an agreement on the establishment of the International Scientific Lunar Station are in full swing," he said. "Basically, the parties have reached a consensus. It is quite possible that it (the agreement) can be signed as soon as possible this year," Wu Yanhua said.

On Tuesday, Russian Ambassador to China Andrey Denisov said that an intergovernmental agreement between Russia and China on cooperation in building a lunar station is almost ready and could be signed soon.

Roscosmos and CNSA in June 2021, as part of the Global Conference on Space Research (GLEX-2021), presented a roadmap for the International Scientific Lunar Station. According to the information provided, the construction of the station should be fully completed by 2035. From 2026 to 2030, two missions are planned to develop technologies for landing and delivering cargo, as well as returning samples of lunar rock to Earth. From 2031 to 2035, the parties will deploy infrastructure in orbit and on the surface of the Moon, including communications systems, as well as electrical power, research and other equipment.

This really is excellent news, looking forward to watching the ink dry thumbsup

GarryB and dino00 like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 pm

Energomash supplied the RD-171MV engine for testing as part of the Soyuz-5 first stage

source

MOSCOW, January 28. /TASS/. NPO Energomash handed over the first RD-171MV engine to the Progress Rocket and Space Center last year for testing. Igor Arbuzov, general director of NPO Energomash, announced this.

"In 2021, we conducted the first tests of the RD-171MV engine designed for the promising Soyuz-5 rocket. All these tests were successful. <...> In 2021, the first engine was delivered for bench tests as part of a stage," Arbuzov said on the air of Roscosmos TV .

GarryB, dino00 and lancelot like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:10 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #4 - Page 27 00111211

If you take a closer look you'll notice that all 4 main modules are modifications of upcoming NEM module which is very smart move

Keeping them standardized (and quickly produced) is better than making one-offs like now

Big_Gazza, thegopnik and owais.usmani like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:39 pm

PapaDragon wrote:If you take a closer look you'll notice that all 4 main modules are modifications of upcoming NEM module which is very smart move

Keeping them standardized (and quickly produced) is better than making one-offs like now

Yes, and thankfully with the deployment of Nauka, the use of ancient DOS modules from Soviet times has been discontinued. No more legacy hardware thumbsup
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:58 pm

Link

The Zeus nuclear space "tug" will get a 6 Megawatt power plant. The original discussion was about a 1 MW unit.

dino00, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza and Hole like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:49 am

kvs wrote:Link

The Zeus nuclear space "tug" will get a 6 Megawatt power plant.    The original discussion was about a 1 MW unit.

This project really is the ducks nuts...  if successful it will introduce a massive paradigm shift in how we operate in space (I hate employing such an over-used cliche but its apt in this case).  What I find amazing is that Western interests just don't seem to be noticing what is being proposed.  NASA doesn't seem to have any space-based nuclear power on its radar screen, ESA even less so.  They would prefer to blabber endlessly about Musk absurd flying silos (which will never be anything more than an unreliable LEO delivery system if he can mange to overcoem the obvious design flaws) yet Zeus/Nukleon is ignored entirely Suspect

It's as though the exceptionalists just can't even contemplate the idea that Russia is capable of developing such cutting-edge technology.  Surely the moskal mud-hut dwellers who live in squallor without the miracles of "free-dumb" and "de-mock-crazy" couldn't succeed where Uncle Shmuel is too timid to try?  Shocked   Murka has printed greenbacks by the megaton. What do the moskals have to equal that? Well... except for near-zero debt levels, budget surpluses, trade surpluses, uncorruptable people in firm control of national government, efficiently run MIC and technology sectors (no corporate parasites sucking the tax-payer dry while giving zip in return), near unlimited natural resources and many decades of expertise in nuclear engineering...

I'm actually happy about that state of affairs as it will be another "Zircon" moment when these arrogant dikwads suddenly wake up and smell the coffee, realising that their BS has been called out and they have shit on their faces Laughing

2030 can't come soon enough Razz

dino00, magnumcromagnon, kvs, miketheterrible, Hole, lancelot and Scorpius like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:48 am

The US Gryphon Technologies has obtained a contract from DARPA to develop an NTP system.

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/commercial-aerospace/article/14231700/gryphon-technologies-tapped-by-darpa-to-develop-nuclear-thermal-propulsion-system

That was $14 million which means it is a proposal for a proposal. That is, nothing to write home about.

The Russian nuclear system was refined during the 1980s and 1990s. It is actual evolved hardware and is not just a design proposal.

Big_Gazza likes this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:04 am

Nuclear thermal doesn't have legs. For interplanetary propulsion you need as high an ISP as you can get in order to extract the maximum delta V from your propellent mass, and that neccesitates nuclear-electric power coupled with ion or plasma engines.

USD14M? For that money you will get a concept study, no more. Chuck in an extra $500k and they will give you a pair of embossed coffee mugs and a tour of the plant... Laughing

dino00, magnumcromagnon, kvs and miketheterrible like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:49 am

I think the label "tug" for this spacecraft is stupid. It is the first nuclear powered spacecraft. May as well call all spacecraft tugs
    if they have a propulsion unit. Clearly a moronic choice. Russia needs to up its game with such details. Trumpet this achievement
    to the world.

jon_deluxe and bitch_killer like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:17 am

Dual use technology... would expect Peresvet to also have a more powerful energy supply mounted on it... and I would think a 6 megawatt power supply small enough to fit into a space craft or truck mounted laser system could be added to a SSK design as a backup power supply...

To put it in to perspective Lada class SSKs are supposed to have a 2 MW propulsion system (2,000 kW), so a 6mW nuclear generator could power the sub at full speed, run the electronics, and charge the batteries... and of course being in a submarine surrounded by sea water there should be no problems with reactor cooling.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:39 am

I suspect there was some sort of innovation that upgraded the reactor from 1 MW to 6 MW.   If the concept was going to need some
    power range then why not specify it at the outset.   The limitation is the cooling system since in space it can only be through radiative
    emissions and not through conduction or convection.    The cooling structure on this "tug" (looks like a massive solar power array) is
    the bottleneck for the design in terms of size.   So I am guessing that they came up with a more efficient cooling method (still using
    the panel array) and maybe a reactor innovation as well if the initial specs were not deliberately understated.  

We have here that "Russian secrecy" that gives westerners fake moral authority.   Russians are not spewing PR 24/7.   So everyone
    knows that Musk is already shipping his electric tractor-trailer, has a fully functional hyperloop, and has already designed a "starship"
    going to Mars, with colonists.  But Russia does not make anything.

GarryB, Big_Gazza and Scorpius like this post

Daniel_Admassu

Post  Daniel_Admassu Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:44 am

kvs wrote:I suspect there was some sort of innovation that upgraded the reactor from 1 MW to 6 MW.   If the concept was going to need some
    power range then why not specify it at the outset.   The limitation is the cooling system since in space it can only be through radiative
    emissions and not through conduction or convection.    The cooling structure on this "tug" (looks like a massive solar power array) is
    the bottleneck for the design in terms of size.   So I am guessing that they came up with a more efficient cooling method (still using
    the panel array) and maybe a reactor innovation as well if the initial specs were not deliberately understated.

Here is my guess:

Such an output jump indicates a major redesign rather than a progressive innovation on one or more components involved.

Normally radiative cooling, specifically in black body radiation, is highly inefficient due to the low rate of thermal loss per unit surface area. Hence the large radiators on spacecraft like the ISS.

A reactor in nuclear space propulsion system is just half of the equation (Energy). You need reaction mass as well to drive the craft forward. They would surely use a highly volatile (low specific heat) fluid for the purpose (maybe Hydrogen). In liquid form however it will have a substantial capacity for thermal absorption. They might have re-routed the reaction mass flow through the radiators in order to take up the excess heat of a higher reactor output. It will also reinvest the otherwise wasted heat back in the propulsion. This adds another order of complexity on the system as a whole but they might have found it worth the result. This is all just a guess ofcourse.

GarryB, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza and kvs like this post

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:02 am

kvs wrote:I think the label "tug" for this spacecraft is stupid.   It is the first nuclear powered spacecraft.    May as well call all spacecraft tugs
    if they have a propulsion unit.   Clearly a moronic choice.   Russia needs to up its game with such details.   Trumpet this achievement
    to the world.

I think they call it a "tug" as the craft looks to be ultimately intended as a general-purpose transport for modular payloads.  Serial-build models might spend their service lives shuttling between Earth & Mars, towing payload modules (eg station components, supply & fuelling modules, accommodation modules for crew changeovers) on the out-bound leg, and swapping payloads on the inbound leg for return of crews and research materials/surface samples back to Earth.

Interestingly, Roskosmos have stated that the new ROS station will have a different mission statement to the ISS and will have more emphasis on in-orbit assembly and logistics.  Sounds like they may be envisioning the ROS to be the "train station" where Zeus/Nukleon couples up to it modules, the crew boards, maintenance & repair is performed, reaction fluid is topped up etc.

GarryB likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:26 am