Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+70
Azi
walle83
Krepost
dionis
jhelb
Ned86
andalusia
thegopnik
Stealthflanker
lancelot
Werewolf
AlfaT8
Hannibal Barca
Serberus
TMA1
marcellogo
DerWolf
Ispan
ucmvulcan
Firebird
Broski
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Walther von Oldenburg
Rodion_Romanovic
mr_hd
Arkanghelsk
ludovicense
lyle6
Erk
rfan
kvs
sepheronx
Belisarius
SeigSoloyvov
higurashihougi
Odin of Ossetia
zare
limb
Kiko
Big_Gazza
Tolstoy
Sujoy
GarryB
d_taddei2
caveat emptor
zorobabel
flamming_python
Airbornewolf
mnztr
Isos
billybatts91
PapaDragon
franco
Backman
VARGR198
owais.usmani
George1
Regular
JohninMK
nomadski
par far
Mir
GunshipDemocracy
LMFS
famschopman
Arrow
Hole
ALAMO
Dr.Snufflebug
Scorpius
74 posters

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #39

Arrow

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #39 - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #39

Post  Arrow Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:09 pm

GarryB, flamming_python, kvs, VARGR198, Broski and Belisarius like this post

Backman
    Backman

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #39 - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #39

Post  Backman Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:27 pm

@JohninMK article

Our aviation began to suffer losses. Basically, from the portable anti-aircraft missile systems of the Stinger type delivered to Ukraine (the Stingers themselves have not yet been used). It turned out that we had nothing to oppose to the massive use of MANPADS. It did not work out to use the Syrian version of front-line aviation, our strike aviation - Su-27, Su-35, Su-34 and Su-24.

In Syria, the militants had very few MANPADS.

This just isn't true. Syria was the most expensive CIA program ever and they shipped tons of manpads in. This is in the record. I guess there was just less bodies in Syria ? But its not like all 500-700,000 Ukraine soldiers were strolling around outside with a Manpad on their back in Feb 2022.

https://www.reuters.com/world/risk-worth-taking-us-rushes-manpads-ukraine-despite-proliferation-concerns-2022-03-11/

There's a lot of stuff we don't know. So many things just don't seem to make sense in this war. All of these wise guys that get interviewed say the same things. But nobody really knows or explains why certain things are or aren't happening. There has to be reasons.

Arkanghelsk
    From a real expert, not some clowns talking nonsense

He's an air force colonel general just like the air force colonel generals who are running this war. So wtf.....?

sepheronx, flamming_python, Hannibal Barca, kvs, ALAMO, GunshipDemocracy, Hole and like this post

Odin of Ossetia dislikes this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:34 pm

This just isn't true.

It is not only not true, but a full scale bullshit.
    Even by watching the cockpit cams of the frontal aviation, one can hear multiple - and I mean multiple - system warnings about Stingers.
    Those have been massively used.
    Without any gains.

What is this, another joke campaign? Some known standup?

sepheronx, GarryB, kvs, GunshipDemocracy, Hole, Mir, Broski and Belisarius like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:12 pm

What I'm wondering is what the alternative this retired Colonel proposes?

Apart from of course just sending up planes right over Ukrainian held-territory and risking getting ambushed by air defense systems sitting in passive mode & getting data from NATO
    And what else does he propose - using tactical nukes?

Both of those are terrible ideas.

Attacking with long-range air-to-ground missiles, gliding bombs thrown from long range, maybe some occasional low-altitude penetration bombing, reliance on drones, stealth aircraft & stealth missiles - all seem like rather smarter ideas to me.
    And I suspect a Kinzhal can too take out any point target that a tactical nuke is supposed to be able to.

GarryB, psg, ALAMO, GunshipDemocracy, Hole, Broski, jon_deluxe and Belisarius like this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:35 pm

He already mentioned a goddamned coordinated SEAD campaign

Which was initiated at the beginning of SMO, but for reasons unknown, although he speculates lack of unity of forces - ended without much fare

In any case the VKS absorbed PVO SV , so the beloved ground forces were stripped of command over the PVO

And now the airforce will have unified radar , by viewing what SHORADS and VSHORADS are seeing so that our planes are not ambushed

And yes, what he says is very easy to understand if you're not a fucking idiot

Fighting the VSU like some ww1 reverie is not smart nor is it doing the task of "negating their ability to resupply the front line"

It just turns every battle into a Mariupol or a Bakhmut

With airpower, you can come in and Blitz these forces out of their entrenchments and clean them up without expending so much artillery

Imo , the VKS made a point to the Armed forces by staying quiet

Artillery, in this day and age, will not do it alone

Sorry for you outdated cheerleaders and humanitarians - who do not want to hurt civilians, but spend 20,000 shells a day in pointless exchanges with an inferior enemy

diabetus and Odin of Ossetia like this post

VARGR198
    VARGR198

Post  VARGR198 Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:23 am

franco, flamming_python, xeno, Big_Gazza, kvs, GunshipDemocracy, Hole and like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:57 am

He already mentioned a goddamned coordinated SEAD campaign

Which was initiated at the beginning of SMO, but for reasons unknown, although he speculates lack of unity of forces - ended without much fare

In any case the VKS absorbed PVO SV , so the beloved ground forces were stripped of command over the PVO

And now the airforce will have unified radar , by viewing what SHORADS and VSHORADS are seeing so that our planes are not ambushed

And yes, what he says is very easy to understand if you're not a fucking idiot

Fighting the VSU like some ww1 reverie is not smart nor is it doing the task of "negating their ability to resupply the front line"

It just turns every battle into a Mariupol or a Bakhmut

With airpower, you can come in and Blitz these forces out of their entrenchments and clean them up without expending so much artillery

Imo , the VKS made a point to the Armed forces by staying quiet

Artillery, in this day and age, will not do it alone

Sorry for you outdated cheerleaders and humanitarians - who do not want to hurt civilians, but spend 20,000 shells a day in pointless exchanges with an inferior enemy

I seem to recall Russian Su-30s or was it Su-34s launching anti-radar missiles months into the campaign. At the very least, that's when the footage was provided for us.
    It also wasn't too long ago that we used to get videos of various suicide drones running into S-300 launchers or radars with some regularity. Such footage was being released for months. If it's not coming out now, then maybe its because there aren't any such juicy targets to show anymore.
    There is no evidence that air defense suppression ops have ever ended, unless I missed some announcement?

So yeah Arkhangelsk I think you're taking this tactical nuclear doomer a little too much at face value. At the very least, his claim does not seem to match what we've seen in the war, and he needs to provide some evidence of it before there's anything to discuss.

Of course, you're the one who isn't an idiot here, so do continue to give directives to the Russian airforce planners by all means.

sepheronx, GarryB, Manov, GunshipDemocracy, Hole, Broski and Belisarius like this post

Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:08 am

I would actually wish they would do something on NATO intelligence assets like AEW or Maritime patrol.

GarryB, jhelb, owais.usmani, Backman, Broski and rfan like this post

mnztr

Post  mnztr Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:52 am

that crazy bitch yellen is in Kiev, WTF doesn't Putin light her up and do us all a favor.

GarryB, Firebird, owais.usmani and Backman like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:39 am

https://twitter.com/i/status/1630265416256831489

Assortment of SSO videos of ambushes.

Some old, some new and never seen.

Odin of Ossetia likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am

@Regular

Source for profile image, it is making me laugh like an idiot looking at it. lol1
    Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:55 am

What evidence does he need to provide?

The results speaks for themselves

10s of lost su34, su25, su30, ka52,

And now they stopped losing planes,  why? Because they stopped flying over the frontline- definitely not due to lack of juicy targets

the VKS just took over the ground forces air defense, and will establish their own priorities in the SMO -

Which is excellent, all air defense means should be subordinated to the VKS , not the other way around. Those army monkeys are stuck in ww1 - and it has jeopardized Russia, allowing missile and drone strikes on Engels, Saki, Belbek, Saratov, Rostov

Those assets were being wasted on the army , now the airforce can concentrate on other tasks with control of the PVO

My guess is they will plug the gaps in air defense coverage with the Buk and TOR batteries they're going to get

This will mean that not one drone or missile will get to Belgorod

And now the fighters and bombers can be directed towards actually demilitarizing Ukraine - not wasting Kalibr on some transformers

Ned86 dislikes this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:55 am

@thegopnik
    For those who didn't see it...
    This is from a recent Ukrainian-friendly fire accident... (there are many more) You can't make this up
    https://twitter.com/ThinkingOnce/status/1627684536594169868

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #39 - Page 19 Image106

@Arkanghelsk

Well, it seems Chinese drones will be coming and seeing how Ukraine is not super effective against Geran drones, I expect the results will be devastating, no point to expose VKS if the tools are not sufficient. Expect VKS to transform after all of this.

Last edited by Regular on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total

GunshipDemocracy and thegopnik like this post

andalusia

Post  andalusia Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:57 am

I have been busy doing other things but I want to know is the war about to come to an end and has Russia defeated the Ukraine?

I thought back in November 2022 that it would have ended by now; I apologize for my ignorance but I haven't been able to keep up with this conflict.

GunshipDemocracy and owais.usmani like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:03 am

andalusia wrote:I have been busy doing other things but I want to know is the war about to come to an end and has Russia defeated the Ukraine?

I hope you are not trolling, but the end is not in sight. It will be a couple of years even if Russia will have a breakthrough - too much cannon fodder, too much territory, and the nature of the war is slow and conservative. We are not even close to "mutual exhaustion" for it to freeze.

andalusia and Broski like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:16 am

Zhu Shufang, a military analyst: A lot of artillery equipment has begun to be reactivated and put into combat condition from the largest reserve depot of the Chinese army in Xinjiang province (not far from the Russian border). 🤔

Those are PLZ-05 howitzers of 152 mm caliber, which are the full analogues of the Russian 2S19, and the Chinese AR1A MLRSs, the analogue of the Russian Smerch MLRSs. Zhu Shufang recalls that it was here that high-ranking Russian servicemen came 8 days ago.

One advantage to letting China copy all of your stuff. The PLZ 05 is a self propelled howitzer. I assumed they'd be just selling some towed units. This is some real war machinery. But Russia has 760 2S19's in service (including over 260 2S19M1 and over 210 2S19M2) and 270 more stored as of 2020. If they want even more then maybe there's a serious offensive in the works

Last edited by Backman on Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:09 am; edited 3 times in total

flamming_python, kvs, Hole and owais.usmani like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:59 am

jocolor
    Britain does not want to allow the conflict in Ukraine to freeze and hopes for its quick end on Kyiv's terms, said Tim Barrow, National Security Adviser to the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. "We don't want to see a frozen conflict. We will continue to give Ukraine the tools to defend itself and succeed on the battlefield. This is an essential part of any strategy that leads to peace," Barrow said.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:17 am

yeah no. I doubt it. This just falls within the whole "China supplying weapons to Russia" mantra. Similar to North Korea, Iran and Zimbabwe and what not.

Please Backman, stop posting stupid shit.

xeno, owais.usmani and Broski like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:45 am

This just falls within the whole "China supplying weapons to Russia" mantra. Similar to North Korea, Iran

I thought the same about the Iran drones talk originally. But none of this is about Russia running out or not having shit. Its about being as resourceful as you can in a war. Howitzers wear out and have to be refurbished. Having extras can really ease the urgency in the logistics chain. If China has some just sitting there in storage that can be aquired, why the **** not?

I got this from https://t.me/russianhead/12003
    Serberus
    Serberus

Post  Serberus Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:37 am

Speaking of drones….Looks like Orion?
    https://t.me/SIL0VIKI/62831
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:48 am

The Iranian drone story is still up in the air as well. No one actually has a shred of evidence it was indeed coming from Iran or if Russia was indeed just building their own on same design, or what not. We don't know what was on the planes between the countries.

We can assume though and its a pretty good guess that it was indeed Iranian drones. But one thing that caught my attention and a few others was lack of identification of Persian on any of the Geranium drones. Instead there was Russian.

Anyway, yeah, I think there are just assumptions.

And anyway, if China was sending equipment, it would he nice to try out newer gear like Chinese drones to compare and learn from. Or maybe missiles of different types for same purpose. Heck, even a MBT 3000 just for shits and giggles. But China won't risk that either currently.

kvs, Hole, Mir, Broski and Belisarius like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:29 am

The Iranian drone story is still up in the air as well. No one actually has a shred of evidence it was indeed coming from Iran or if Russia was indeed just building their own on same design, or what not. We don't know what was on the planes between the countries.

Iran itself said that the Shahed 136 was originally designed by a company in Ukraine in the mid 2000's. Probably an east Ukraine company. So like most weapons systems in the east and global south, if you look below the surface, they all originate from Russia.

But China won't risk that currently.

Why? The US just openly sent troops to Taiwan. China should be getting the drift by now that there's no relations to save between them and the US. The US will accuse and sanction them for providing weapons regardless if they actually do or not
    Serberus
    Serberus

Post  Serberus Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:43 am

Oil depot was hit by Luftwaffer drones in Krasnodar territory (Tuapse)
    https://t.me/anna_news/46911

Also

Messages are circulating on the network about an unknown flying object over St. Petersburg, combat aircraft have been raised into the sky.

https://t.me/milinfolive/97436

Odin of Ossetia likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:21 am

What evidence does he need to provide?

The results speaks for themselves

10s of lost su34, su25, su30, ka52,

And now they stopped losing planes, why? Because they stopped flying over the frontline- definitely not due to lack of juicy targets

the VKS just took over the ground forces air defense, and will establish their own priorities in the SMO -

Which is excellent, all air defense means should be subordinated to the VKS , not the other way around. Those army monkeys are stuck in ww1 - and it has jeopardized Russia, allowing missile and drone strikes on Engels, Saki, Belbek, Saratov, Rostov

Those assets were being wasted on the army , now the airforce can concentrate on other tasks with control of the PVO

My guess is they will plug the gaps in air defense coverage with the Buk and TOR batteries they're going to get

This will mean that not one drone or missile will get to Belgorod

And now the fighters and bombers can be directed towards actually demilitarizing Ukraine - not wasting Kalibr on some transformers

They never stopped flying over the front line.

Where they stopped flying is deep into Ukrainian airspace, and quite early in the conflict too.

Nowadays though they can accomplish a lot even not reaching the front-line but hanging back with precision munitions. Do note how Israel essentially bombs Syria from Lebanon, without actually crossing into Syrian airspace itself.

And Engels, Saki, Belbek, Saratov, Rostov air defences would have exactly been controlled by the VKS, and no-one else. Any air defence around an airfield or protecting one is going to be part of the same VKS for sure. As well as the layered air defence network in general. The army's air defence only accounts for various mobile assets that move with army formations and protect them on their advance.

Although that's not needed at the moment so perhaps you're right and those Buks and Tors will be used to shore up the overall air defense network instead.

Big_Gazza, Hole, Broski and Belisarius like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:27 am

New post  sepheronx Today at 7:48 am
    We can assume though and its a pretty good guess that it was indeed Iranian drones. But one thing that caught my attention and a few others was lack of identification of Persian on any of the Geranium drones. Instead there was Russian.
    Anyway, yeah, I think there are just assumptions.
    And anyway, if China was sending equipment, it would he nice to try out newer gear like Chinese drones to compare and learn from. Or maybe missiles of different types for same purpose. Heck, even a MBT 3000 just for shits and giggles. But China won't risk that either currently.

Cmn' bro ...
    You are just deluding yourself now.
    But of course Iranians supply.
    Maybe not the whole drones, as that would have been a waste of space.
    But a single flight can deliver thousands of Limbach cloned engines. Or ready to assemble on board electronic.
    Just to be fitted with Russian made fuselage that can be produced cheaply.

From the very beginning, my opinion to that is that Russkie presented great flexibility. What's more, the cooperation lasted for years in Syria. Russia knew perfectly well what is buying.
    Frankly, I really hoped for deliveries of missiles that would cover the range niche Russian systems had, forcing them to use Iskanders at half of it's range or scrambling jets.

Deliveries of Chinese made weapon of the same logistics would be another very flexible and reasonable thing to do.
    And I was talking about that a while ago.
    Chinese know, that if Russia falls, their strategic position will worsen by a factor. The same applies to Iranians or Koreans. Just from their own security perspective, they would have been foolish not to support Russia with all they have.
    And the funny thing is, that the combined production of the Russian and Chinese MIC can't be matched, by no means, no matter the time.

Do note how Israel essentially bombs Syria from Lebanon, without actually crossing into Syrian airspace itself.

Israel is doing so because they are scary effective and brave as lions.
    Russkie are doing so because they are incompetent and scary as chickens.
    Learn the basics bro. Learn the basics!

GunshipDemocracy, Broski and Belisarius like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:04 pm